Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strange situation for some of our players 16:27 - Nov 12 with 3373 viewsgtsb1966

knowing that IF we went up they won't be anywhere near the first team and probably sold. I wonder if any of them think about that. Same for most promoted teams I suppose.
Strange situation for some of our players on 16:30 - Nov 12 with 3016 viewsgainsboroughblue

Would be interesting to look at how the squads changed at other clubs who have done successive promotions over the years. Going back a couple of decades, I think Sean Davis was the only Fulham player to survive into the Prem when they came through two promotions in a row.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:31 - Nov 12 with 3007 viewsSomethingBlue

But their stock would still be the highest it's ever been. What a personal and collective achievement it would be to go up. I can't imagine any of them are worrying about downsides, perceived or real, right now.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:35 - Nov 12 with 2942 viewsHungryLikeTheWoolf

I think Mckenna has shown he'll give players a fair chance, some people were saying over summer that Jackson /Harness would move on, but they've still got minutes in the championship and made contributions
Strange situation for some of our players on 16:38 - Nov 12 with 2914 viewsbluefunk

This isn’t the same type of squad that we had in years gone by, the type of squad Shane Supple criticised for not wanting to succeed, this lot are all about being part if something bigger
Strange situation for some of our players on 16:40 - Nov 12 with 2874 viewsKropotkin123

Assuming they will be the players well likely look to improve upon in the January break.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:45 - Nov 12 with 2815 viewsHerbivore

McKenna has given the players a lot of self-belief, I expect most of them would not see themselves as being likely to be replaced if we do go up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:46 - Nov 12 with 2811 viewsMK1

Imagine we will find out more in January. Those not seen good enough, may be accepted on. I would guess 2 or 3 may move on to make room for any potential incoming signings.
Strange situation for some of our players on 16:47 - Nov 12 with 2801 viewsbazza

I certainly wouldn’t think many of the first team players would be moved on, I’d rather see us go up with the momentum, and just add1 or two, rather than a squad overhaul , which would mean massive wage bill increase, , that’s if we did manage to go up! also most of the other players would at least have increased their value and given a better chance of big wage increases. A promotion to the prem on your CV isn’t the worst thing in the world.?
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 16:49]
Login to get fewer ads

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:58 - Nov 12 with 2746 viewsFacefacts

One thing we learned in the summer was how difficult it is to bring in quality strikers. We are seeing that now as we are going to have to put more gilt edged chances away to stay top two in the 2nd half of the season.

One positive is that we should now (in January) be able to attract a higher level of striker - because we are not just a promoted League One team, but a team that has been in the Championship's top two all season.
Strange situation for some of our players on 17:31 - Nov 12 with 2600 viewsMK1

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:58 - Nov 12 by Facefacts

One thing we learned in the summer was how difficult it is to bring in quality strikers. We are seeing that now as we are going to have to put more gilt edged chances away to stay top two in the 2nd half of the season.

One positive is that we should now (in January) be able to attract a higher level of striker - because we are not just a promoted League One team, but a team that has been in the Championship's top two all season.

any idea who this "higher level of striker" is?
Strange situation for some of our players on 18:06 - Nov 12 with 2399 viewsColin_Viljoen

Strange situation for some of our players on 17:31 - Nov 12 by MK1

any idea who this "higher level of striker" is?

Chris Woods or Kieffer Moore
Strange situation for some of our players on 18:08 - Nov 12 with 2383 viewsHerbivore

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:06 - Nov 12 by Colin_Viljoen

Chris Woods or Kieffer Moore

Former England goalkeeper Chris Woods? Moore is definitely not what we need.

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:09 - Nov 12 with 2384 viewstextbackup

Think I saw it mentioned Burgess would struggle in the championship… so you can’t ever really tell.

Even when we went up in 2000, many of them took it up a level and did great.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:11 - Nov 12 with 2359 viewsHerbivore

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:09 - Nov 12 by textbackup

Think I saw it mentioned Burgess would struggle in the championship… so you can’t ever really tell.

Pretty sure both Saints and Norwich when they went back to back kept the core of their squads and limited cloggers like Lambert and Holt managed to more than hold their own in the Prem.

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:16 - Nov 12 with 2326 viewsDarkBrandon

I was thinking that when I saw Kyle Edwards and Panutche Kamara dancing around after the Exeter game last season. Didn’t seem to dampen their spirits.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 18:17]
Strange situation for some of our players on 18:19 - Nov 12 with 2277 viewsDarkBrandon

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:09 - Nov 12 by textbackup

Most unexpectedly Jermaine Wright who looked a better player in the PL than he did in the Championship (or whatever it was called then)
Strange situation for some of our players on 18:50 - Nov 12 with 2154 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:11 - Nov 12 by Herbivore

Pretty sure both Saints and Norwich when they went back to back kept the core of their squads and limited cloggers like Lambert and Holt managed to more than hold their own in the Prem.

Plenty of them would fancy their chances and worst case is you get a decent championship move presumably, probably on more £.
Strange situation for some of our players on 19:12 - Nov 12 with 2071 viewsjasondozzell

Surely the opposite! That's why McKenna is such a great coach. He enjoys improving players.

It's why the group all buy in to his management; he's fair and he gives people an opportunity.

Plenty were saying Burgess etc not good enough for the champ even though they did a good job in league one. Burgess has been one of our best players.

If we did go up, imagine how good it would be to line up with most of those side still intact. Morsy and Mass in the middle, Hladky and Woolf and Cam at the back. From Forest Green away to Old Trafford...

I would hate us to even think of doing a Forest and bringing in loads of players, many of whom might be current prem already. What would be special would be to do it with this group. We'd strengthen but team a spirit and familiarity has worked for us so far.

If we came back down, so be it. These players have never let us down.
Strange situation for some of our players on 19:37 - Nov 12 with 1988 viewsbrogansnose

Strange situation for some of our players on 18:11 - Nov 12 by Herbivore

I think back to players like Delaney and McCauley who went on to have a long career in the Premier league when many fans thought that they wouldn't.
Strange situation for some of our players on 20:47 - Nov 12 with 1783 viewsford6600

Players will all want to part of a promotion squad
great for their cv's and even if any released will have lots
of offers.
Strange situation for some of our players on 21:09 - Nov 12 with 1684 viewsAlanG296

Shouldn't be a strange situation for players. A quarter of the clubs in the Championship will be in a different league or division next season and as a result will changing their playing staff more than if they were stagnating in the same division as we used to do. Far rather have players who want success with all the possibility of significant upheaval that could bring for them and their families than players in decline for whom relegation can keep you in the team and mean you don't have to move from where you live, not easy to find a house with an annexe when you relocate.
Strange situation for some of our players on 21:17 - Nov 12 with 1654 views765765

Strange situation for some of our players on 16:47 - Nov 12 by bazza

I certainly wouldn’t think many of the first team players would be moved on, I’d rather see us go up with the momentum, and just add1 or two, rather than a squad overhaul , which would mean massive wage bill increase, , that’s if we did manage to go up! also most of the other players would at least have increased their value and given a better chance of big wage increases. A promotion to the prem on your CV isn’t the worst thing in the world.?
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 16:49]

Agreed. When we went up under Burley we didn't add a ton of players and had an amazing season. I think only Hriedarsson and Makin cost us much money and Titus came out of nowhere. We then started going silly with signings and fell away. This season we've got nearly all of the same starting 11 as we did last year if you think Hirst was already here.
Strange situation for some of our players on 21:33 - Nov 12 with 1601 viewsbazza

Strange situation for some of our players on 21:17 - Nov 12 by 765765

Agreed. When we went up under Burley we didn't add a ton of players and had an amazing season. I think only Hriedarsson and Makin cost us much money and Titus came out of nowhere. We then started going silly with signings and fell away. This season we've got nearly all of the same starting 11 as we did last year if you think Hirst was already here.

I genuinely believe McKenna would spend wisely, and wouldn’t go for journey men or big name signings.. but I think the problem will be if McKenna gets an offer he can’t refuse. Breaks my heart at the thought of it.
Strange situation for some of our players on 21:38 - Nov 12 with 1581 viewswkj

I think we have a number of players who could keep us up in the premier league if truth be told. Maybe 6 players who I could confidently say would stand absolutely no chance

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Strange situation for some of our players on 21:56 - Nov 12 with 1451 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

Of course not as we’ve seen before although some are certain to do well you just cannot be sure who’d step up. We have a prime example of that as who in 2000 would have said players like Venus, McGreal, and J. Wright would not only be okay in the prem but consistent players for a team finishing 5th.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024