Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. 05:44 - Oct 31 with 1632 viewsMK1

Guess it wasn't the strongest of years. Great world cup, but nothing much else.
Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 06:08 - Oct 31 with 1589 viewsChorleyBoy

Madness. Chappers would have been a better choice.
Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 06:20 - Oct 31 with 1579 viewsBrianTablet

There should be a Barn d'Or Award for miss of the season.

[2:02]
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 6:31]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:36 - Oct 31 with 1453 viewsTractorCam

I love Messi and glad he's well and truly cemented himself as the greatest, but Haaland has been robbed there.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:38 - Oct 31 with 1441 viewsHerbivore

The GOAT.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:41 - Oct 31 with 1432 viewsSwansea_Blue

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:36 - Oct 31 by TractorCam

I love Messi and glad he's well and truly cemented himself as the greatest, but Haaland has been robbed there.

It's an incredible fairy tale story for Messi, but I tend to agree. Mind you, Messi completely runs games as well as creates and scores, she's a more rounded player than Haaland. He's single handedly drags Inter Miami from worst to best team in the MLS (but it is only the MLS). Haaland is a beast though and can probably feel a little hard done by.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:46 - Oct 31 with 1423 viewsHerbivore

World Cup year it is common for it to go to whoever has had the biggest impact at the World Cup, Cannavaro and Modric both have Balons d'Or in large part because of performances in a World Cup. Given it's Messi and he bossed the World Cup and won it, he was always going to win it. Next year will see the changing of the guard and can see Haaland being in with a shout if City win the CL again.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 9:04]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:59 - Oct 31 with 1408 viewsDarkHorse

Nah. Messi was the best player in the biggest games for the team that won the most important tournament. He was phenomenal.

Haaland didn't turn up in the Champions League semis or final. Domestic competitions rarely come into the decision-making.
Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 09:59 - Oct 31 with 1359 viewsChrisd

A great player and he had a terrific World Cup, but to win this again after a non plus club season is rather embarrassing.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 10:33 - Oct 31 with 1305 viewsrickw

I agree, if Haaland would have stood out in the CL final he would have stood more of a chance but he was quiet in those latter CL games.

I can't see Messi winning it again though, so next year players like Haaland, Mbappe, Kane and Bellingham will all have a chance.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 17:39 - Oct 31 with 1182 viewsMK1

I agree, the greatest player of all time, but he had a nothing domestic season. Surely it is the best player in the world that year. They have a player of the tournament at the majors. Bellingham (could have won both), Haaland, Kane or the guy from Napoli would have been a better choice, in my humble opinion.
Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 19:26 - Oct 31 with 1131 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 08:41 - Oct 31 by Swansea_Blue

It's an incredible fairy tale story for Messi, but I tend to agree. Mind you, Messi completely runs games as well as creates and scores, she's a more rounded player than Haaland. He's single handedly drags Inter Miami from worst to best team in the MLS (but it is only the MLS). Haaland is a beast though and can probably feel a little hard done by.

Yeah, you might want to take a closer look at the MLS standings

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 19:29 - Oct 31 with 1112 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Messi wins eighth Ballon d'Or. on 17:39 - Oct 31 by MK1

I agree, the greatest player of all time, but he had a nothing domestic season. Surely it is the best player in the world that year. They have a player of the tournament at the majors. Bellingham (could have won both), Haaland, Kane or the guy from Napoli would have been a better choice, in my humble opinion.

Pretty obvious why he won it, as has been pointed out World Cup years tend to be dominated by players that shone in the tournament, but the fact he’s basically contributed nothing domestically and has been semi-retired for half the season does make a mockery of it

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024