Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. 18:19 - Sep 25 with 3275 viewsMK1

We finish 2nd to Leicester. We are in the promised land.
How much do we need to spend to stay there?
Who of our current squad is good enough?
Personally I obviously want to do as well as we possibly can, but would it be too much to soon?
I was having this chat at work today and I have to admit that promotion this season actually scares me a little. Would Gamechanger fund the huge budget that we would require to survive up there so quickly after taking over?
I have complete faith in the club and I am sure that those who know a hell of a lot more than me would say of course we want to go up and we will spend whatever is needed, but I have to admit to being nervous about promotion this season.
Please don't slate me for asking these questions, just that I really don't know the answers.
I want promotion as soon as possible, of course I do, but I also don't want Newcastle to come here and beat us 0-8.
No negativity intended in this post, just a few questions and I hope for your honest thoughts.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:39 - Sep 25 with 3177 viewsFrimleyBlue

Good enough

Davis
Wolfenden
Burgess. I'm gonna say Burgess as didn't think he'd cope with champ but he has
Clarke
Williams if we buy him

Hutchinson if we buy him. Then loan him out

Broadhead

I'm not sure on the others.. Chaplin. Morsy. Hirst.. prem quality? I think morsy would struggle
Chappers possibly not in games and Hirst.. struggled to win balls against Blackburn let alone a prem side.

Our midfield prob the weakest link for a prem side.
You wouldn't get away with a morsy luongo partnership and so far taylor is looking like a player really struggling to adapt to a KM team. ( p.s I like taylor) but he's been slower than Evans when it comes to turning with the ball at feet

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:42 - Sep 25 with 3160 viewsMaySixth

just posted something similar

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:57 - Sep 25 with 3114 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:39 - Sep 25 by FrimleyBlue

Good enough

Davis
Wolfenden
Clarke
Williams if we buy him

Broadhead

I'm not sure on the others.. Chaplin. Morsy. Hirst.. prem quality? I think morsy would struggle
Chappers possibly not in games and Hirst.. struggled to win balls against Blackburn let alone a prem side.

You wouldn't get away with a morsy luongo partnership and so far taylor is looking like a player really struggling to adapt to a KM team. ( p.s I like taylor) but he's been slower than Evans when it comes to turning with the ball at feet

Clarke is nowhere near PL standard imho. He’d get ripped to shreds.

Poll: Our final position

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:57 - Sep 25 with 3112 viewsMK1

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:42 - Sep 25 by MaySixth

just posted something similar

Sorry. haven't seen that. Apologies.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 19:01 - Sep 25 with 3087 viewsMK1

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:39 - Sep 25 by FrimleyBlue

Good enough

Davis
Wolfenden
Clarke
Williams if we buy him

Broadhead

Thanks for your reply.
I have Walton, Clarke, Wolfenden, Davis and Broadhead.
I haven't counted loans.
That would mean a massive squad change wouldn't it. £100miliion ?
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 19:06 - Sep 25 with 3065 viewsMK1

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 18:57 - Sep 25 by southnorfolkblue

Clarke is nowhere near PL standard imho. He’d get ripped to shreds.

Thank you for your reply.
Would you like to say who you think is good enough?
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 20:13 - Sep 25 with 2880 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 19:06 - Sep 25 by MK1

Would you like to say who you think is good enough?

Davis, Walton, Broadhead, Tuanzabee and possibly Wolfenden.

I’m obviously not going to turn my nose up at promotion if it comes along, but I think we need a couple of years at this level to evolve the squad.

Poll: Our final position

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 20:32 - Sep 25 with 2835 viewsMK1

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 20:13 - Sep 25 by southnorfolkblue

Davis, Walton, Broadhead, Tuanzabee and possibly Wolfenden.

I’m obviously not going to turn my nose up at promotion if it comes along, but I think we need a couple of years at this level to evolve the squad.

Login to get fewer ads

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 20:37 - Sep 25 with 2817 viewsGuthrum

Keep the present squad together. If they've earnt a double automatic promotion from L1 to the Prem, they deserve a go at seeing how far they can get in the top tier.

Last time up, we to an extent retained the tight unit which got promoted - finishing 5th. Started buying a fair few expensive players in the following summer and promptly collapsed.

Spending money guarantees nothing, even in the Prem. Burnley and SheffU haven't exectly held back. Building a great team is likely to get much further.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 05:41 - Sep 26 with 2512 viewsMK1

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 20:37 - Sep 25 by Guthrum

Keep the present squad together. If they've earnt a double automatic promotion from L1 to the Prem, they deserve a go at seeing how far they can get in the top tier.

Last time up, we to an extent retained the tight unit which got promoted - finishing 5th. Started buying a fair few expensive players in the following summer and promptly collapsed.

Spending money guarantees nothing, even in the Prem. Burnley and SheffU haven't exectly held back. Building a great team is likely to get much further.

The Premier League has changed a lot since we were last up there.
£30million is just a squad player for some sides.
I have to admit to be over thinking this and would agree with you.
Take the good times when they come.
Thank you again for your post and making me realise that life is to short to worry about failure and all good opportunities should be grasped with both hands.
Just hope we finish top 2 now.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 06:48 - Sep 26 with 2431 viewsrodney76

Spend little .... perhaps add a couple of PL quality players. Be prepared to get relegated having gained experience and parachute money. Be favourites to bounce back the season after with a stronger re-enforced squad and with Premier League experience gained by manager, players and more importantly the owners.

I feel Luton are resigned to relegation and have been from day one. They are using the money to finally improve their ground, give the support a season to remember and be stronger when they go down.

Our aims should be higher than Luton's though, We should be in a stronger position player-wise than they are and more likely to yo-yo.

The risks of spending a small fortune which will never guarantee that you have the right players yet dishing out massive wages are too great and would not guarantee success in any case. Failure and we would be more likely to lose McKenna and even the interest of the money men and such excesses could even be a burden in the Championship with reduced income.

We have been too long in the wilderness to jump in at the deep end.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 6:56]
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 06:58 - Sep 26 with 2404 viewsHerbivore

I wouldn't want us to throw a load of cash at it and completely overhaul the squad. Add three or four maybe, ideally players who are young and who will have a good resale value, but otherwise trust the core of a squad with back to back promotions under their belt to give it a good go and at least learn and improve as a result of the experience. Who would have thought the likes of Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert could not just cope in the Prem but actually flourish in their first season there? Players sometimes have a higher ceiling than you think.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 07:01 - Sep 26 with 2402 viewsGavTWTD

I think the way the club would go about it is, who in the squad isn't good enough.for the premier? You replace those fringe players with ones that are good enough. Donacien, Fridge, Ball, Evans, Harness, Jackson, Aluko etc would make way I would think. I don't know if Morsy is good enough but I'd love to see him play against the best.

Maybe some of the work will.start in January but the budget would be larger in the summer. If we did the unbelievable and get two back to back promotions then our current 11 would all have played magnificently and all deserve a place in the squad next season.

I say unbelievable, we know what the players staff and McKenna can do. The only caveat is the opposition and how many are better over the season. Its very early days but what a start.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 07:05 - Sep 26 with 2393 viewsKropotkin123

I can see it now, swathes of ungrateful fans telling us how those that got us promoted aren't good enough. Entitled doom merchants yapping on about Mark Ashton not having successful window. Giving a young loanee a full 10 minute substitute appearance before writing him off as useless. Even winning a pre-season cup competition against seemingly superior opposition won't abet the criticism from those fresh from hiding their shame behind new usernames. And when the dust has settled, with us basically playing the same team that finished the last campaign, with 7 wins from our first 8 games, we'll get multiple posters wondering who we should tin off if want to dominate the Champions League next season, rather than enjoying the memories those already here are creating...

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 07:15 - Sep 26 with 2353 viewsStewart27

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 07:05 - Sep 26 by Kropotkin123

I can see it now, swathes of ungrateful fans telling us how those that got us promoted aren't good enough. Entitled doom merchants yapping on about Mark Ashton not having successful window. Giving a young loanee a full 10 minute substitute appearance before writing him off as useless. Even winning a pre-season cup competition against seemingly superior opposition won't abet the criticism from those fresh from hiding their shame behind new usernames. And when the dust has settled, with us basically playing the same team that finished the last campaign, with 7 wins from our first 8 games, we'll get multiple posters wondering who we should tin off if want to dominate the Champions League next season, rather than enjoying the memories those already here are creating...

This is how I see it.

Imagine getting promoted and the meltdown on here in July 2024 if we haven’t spent £50 million on a single player.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 07:27 - Sep 26 with 2307 viewstractorboy1978

There is never a bad time to get promotion - you have to take it when you get the chance. I am sure a lot of Coventry fans thought they'd come back stronger this season after re-investing the Hamer and Gyokeres money, but they haven't.

If you get back to back promotions you are a team with ridiculous momentum that barely knows what losing looks like over a prolonged period of time. That can take you a long way. We'd have to strengthen in a similar manner to what we have this summer with 6-8 clever additions. Players you perhaps wouldn't expect to step up would step up.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:06 - Sep 26 with 2225 viewsHerbivore

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 07:27 - Sep 26 by tractorboy1978

There is never a bad time to get promotion - you have to take it when you get the chance. I am sure a lot of Coventry fans thought they'd come back stronger this season after re-investing the Hamer and Gyokeres money, but they haven't.

If you get back to back promotions you are a team with ridiculous momentum that barely knows what losing looks like over a prolonged period of time. That can take you a long way. We'd have to strengthen in a similar manner to what we have this summer with 6-8 clever additions. Players you perhaps wouldn't expect to step up would step up.

Didn't Norwich and Saints both stay up fairly comfortably following their back to back promotions up to the Prem? I don't think either broke the bank massively.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:15 - Sep 26 with 2193 viewsvilanovablue

I'd essentially look at what Luton are doing buying youth in preparation for getting relegated. Don't go crazy accept the knocks. We go down we'll be in a stronger position with added parachute payments.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:15 - Sep 26 with 2192 viewsITFCSG

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:06 - Sep 26 by Herbivore

Didn't Norwich and Saints both stay up fairly comfortably following their back to back promotions up to the Prem? I don't think either broke the bank massively.

Precisely. The Southampton team that gained promotion in 2011/12 kept pretty much the core of their League One side. From what I recall the only player of note they bought after being promoted to the Championship was Billy Sharp. When they got promoted to the Prem they bought 8 players, including Jay Rodiguez, Clyne etc.

Let's see if we can better their record. After all, we're supposed to be the "best-ever L1 team that ever was" aren't we?
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:20 - Sep 26 with 2180 viewsitfcjoe

Will be a biggish overhaul - ideally keep the main core but would need to be some proper quality added around that and harder when in PL as can only have 2 loans from PL clubs and one from each individual club.

But we won't know what we've done in January, who has shown they are capable of stepping up at that point - but I wouldn't want to be doing what Luton have which is just take the money and buy Champ players, or Sheff U who just seemed to have sold their best players and cleared off debt - I'd want to see us giving it a go more akin to Burnley and what they have tried

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:41 - Sep 26 with 2119 viewsPinewoodblue

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:20 - Sep 26 by itfcjoe

Will be a biggish overhaul - ideally keep the main core but would need to be some proper quality added around that and harder when in PL as can only have 2 loans from PL clubs and one from each individual club.

But we won't know what we've done in January, who has shown they are capable of stepping up at that point - but I wouldn't want to be doing what Luton have which is just take the money and buy Champ players, or Sheff U who just seemed to have sold their best players and cleared off debt - I'd want to see us giving it a go more akin to Burnley and what they have tried

There will presumably be changes to the 25 player squad after the January transfer window closes.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 13:47 - Sep 26 with 1809 viewstractorboy1978

Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 08:41 - Sep 26 by Pinewoodblue

There will presumably be changes to the 25 player squad after the January transfer window closes.

Without getting too ahead of ourselves, I'd imagine you'd be looking at upgrading a few as we did last January with Edmundson, Evans, Harness and Ladapo the most vulnerable.
Lets get ahead of ourselves and fast forward to the end of the season. on 13:52 - Sep 26 with 1780 viewsVaughan8

I don't think we'd spend loads to be honest.

We'd probably upgrade a few players and the fringe ones would go. Get a few decent loans from bigger clubs.

You can't change the whole squad at once (see Fulham a few years ago) especially with a load of cheap(er) foreign players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024