Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. 08:08 - Aug 24 with 770 viewsNthQldITFC

Drivers face tougher sentences for killing pedestrians
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66593086

For some reason, perhaps the almost religious attachment we tend to have to cars, penalties for causing death or injury by irresponsible use a motor vehicle as an unintentional weapon have been hideously weak for far too long.

As a cyclist (and car driver too) I've had a number of near misses recently and seen so many people using mobiles when driving. I'd agree with the father in this story that 10 or 15 years would be far more proportionate if you kill someone whilst under the influence or texting etc. A similar massive jump in fines or disqualifications (or prison for repeat offenders) for a non-fatal transgression too.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 08:09 - Aug 24 with 749 viewsHerbivore

Rishi is on the side of drivers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 08:17 - Aug 24 with 712 viewsBlueBadger

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 08:09 - Aug 24 by Herbivore

Is it because he's a sociopathic corrupt incompetent who is entirely cool with allowing criminals(particularly if they were his mates or his old boss) to get off lightly?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2023 8:20]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 09:03 - Aug 24 with 662 viewsGeoffSentence

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 08:09 - Aug 24 by Herbivore

Rishi is on the side of inconsiderate drivers.

Plenty of drivers back this and LTNs and ULEZ and all the other initiatives that RIshi is trying to use as a vote catcher from the UKIP wing of his party.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 09:39 - Aug 24 with 636 viewsGuthrum

Using a hand-held phone while driving (especially texting) should be treated the same as being drunk or on drugs. Even when stopped at traffic lights.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 09:48 - Aug 24 with 623 viewsGlasgowBlue

Surely it’s sensible legislation aimed at punishing dangerous and irresponsible drives who cause death or injury. They should rightly be punished.

It’s not anti motorist legislation moving against the ‘cult of the car’.

Dangerous, reckless and irresponsible drivers have no place in our roads. Most car drivers do nit fall into that category.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 09:50 - Aug 24 with 617 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 09:39 - Aug 24 by Guthrum

Using a hand-held phone while driving (especially texting) should be treated the same as being drunk or on drugs. Even when stopped at traffic lights.

We were following a van the other night and he was all over the road. Pulled alongside him and he was actually texting. This was on a motorway at 70mph FFS. The Mrs was driving so I wound the window down and gave him absolute dogs abuse.

He slowed right down and kept his distance.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 10:07 - Aug 24 with 584 viewsNthQldITFC

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 09:48 - Aug 24 by GlasgowBlue

Surely it’s sensible legislation aimed at punishing dangerous and irresponsible drives who cause death or injury. They should rightly be punished.

It’s not anti motorist legislation moving against the ‘cult of the car’.

Dangerous, reckless and irresponsible drivers have no place in our roads. Most car drivers do nit fall into that category.

Yes, badly phrased by me.

I just meant that penalties for causing death or injury (or threatening the same) with a motor vehicle are not punished remotely proportionately, and I think that is largely because there's a widespread car fetish and a lot of people seem to viscerally react to any insult to their car or their driving or their right to do what they want inside their mobile castle.

That 'cultish' car obsession seems to override decency and concern for others both on the roads and in the chambers of law-making.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 10:33 - Aug 24 with 541 viewschicoazul

Scotland making sensible moves against the cult of the car. on 10:07 - Aug 24 by NthQldITFC

Yes, badly phrased by me.

I just meant that penalties for causing death or injury (or threatening the same) with a motor vehicle are not punished remotely proportionately, and I think that is largely because there's a widespread car fetish and a lot of people seem to viscerally react to any insult to their car or their driving or their right to do what they want inside their mobile castle.

That 'cultish' car obsession seems to override decency and concern for others both on the roads and in the chambers of law-making.

We live in the age of the individual where the only thing that matters to most is one’s own happiness and comfort.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024