Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More than a manager 20:38 - Aug 20 with 1218 viewsMullet

I know I'm preaching to the choir but I watched up until Italia 90 whilst doing some odd jobs. The ITFC footage is wonderful and the vox pops with Butcher et al. really insightful as the scope of SBR as a whole not just here.

There's two bits that really caught my attention. The visceral anger towards the press when they got personal "if you write there's no system, no tactics, the people will believe it" being one I've badly paraphrased.

The other is when Waddle misses. You only hear it as they show a zoomed shot on SBR. You can almost see his heart break, he swallows and you can see him psych himself up to go to his players. Like he's put his own suffering until later in that moment to go and do his job as a manager first.

Well worth seeing if anyone hasn't, but when we hark back to SBR as a cornerstone it's often lost how he wasn't afraid to have that edge, to be stubborn and to put his players before everything else. I thought it was really interesting how much that came through on film and from those who he managed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

More than a manager on 21:06 - Aug 20 with 1099 viewsMelford

One thing that is noticeably different nowadays is the tabloid press and it's opinions held massive sway back then and to manage the national team meant you were literally tried by media, The Sun with superimpose your head with a turnip and out you go.

You could see it in that Graham Taylor documentary, the thing that wore him down the most was the press.

In the name of Allah go! Couple of weeks before Italia 90 because we drew in a friendly to Saudi Arabia.

Glenn Hoddle getting sacked as England manager for some leftfield religious views was the one that got me.

Glad that we've got to a stage where footballers and their partners aren't celebrities like they were in the 90s/2000s WAGS and all that sh!T. I don't know the name of Harry Kane's wife and I don't know what she looks like.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

More than a manager on 21:10 - Aug 20 with 1074 viewsSwansea_Blue

More than a manager on 21:06 - Aug 20 by Melford

One thing that is noticeably different nowadays is the tabloid press and it's opinions held massive sway back then and to manage the national team meant you were literally tried by media, The Sun with superimpose your head with a turnip and out you go.

You could see it in that Graham Taylor documentary, the thing that wore him down the most was the press.

In the name of Allah go! Couple of weeks before Italia 90 because we drew in a friendly to Saudi Arabia.

Glenn Hoddle getting sacked as England manager for some leftfield religious views was the one that got me.

Glad that we've got to a stage where footballers and their partners aren't celebrities like they were in the 90s/2000s WAGS and all that sh!T. I don't know the name of Harry Kane's wife and I don't know what she looks like.

Is it really that much different now? The press still seem to go into overdrive every time there’s a tournament.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More than a manager on 21:14 - Aug 20 with 1058 viewsBlueBadger

More than a manager on 21:10 - Aug 20 by Swansea_Blue

Is it really that much different now? The press still seem to go into overdrive every time there’s a tournament.

Some sections were calling for Southgate's head for suggesting that racism is BAD at one point.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

More than a manager on 21:32 - Aug 20 with 995 viewsIllinoisblue

Broadly agree but didn’t Hoddle say disabled people were being punished for sins in a previous life or something?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

More than a manager on 21:39 - Aug 20 with 970 viewsWicklowBlue

The tabloid treatment of Taylor at the time was disgusting and I'm Irish! How are you helping the national team by tearing the manager apart?

Mind you the Truss V Lettuce was amusing...
More than a manager on 22:21 - Aug 20 with 886 viewsBent_double

It's not just in sport though is it, the Murdoch papers have pretty much been responsible for the country we have today. Journalists, editors and owners who think they know everything and can force their opinions on the rest of us.

If it was possible to go back in time and change one thing, stopping the Murdoch empire from ever happening would be my choice. Although something worse would probably just come along in its place...

But, to get back to the original point, the tabloids have always disrespected and destroyed England managers, pre Southgate I was always surprised anyone took the job on.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

More than a manager on 22:28 - Aug 20 with 873 viewsHipsterectomy

?? didn't Hoddle have some deeply offensive views and was the representative of the nation's national sport? no wonder he was doomed

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

More than a manager on 22:36 - Aug 20 with 854 viewsBlueBadger

More than a manager on 22:28 - Aug 20 by Hipsterectomy

?? didn't Hoddle have some deeply offensive views and was the representative of the nation's national sport? no wonder he was doomed

Yeah, Hoddle's 'weird religious stuff' wasn't what got him sacked, it was a genuinely awful opinion about people with learning disabilities that caused him to lose favour publicly and in the dressing room.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

More than a manager on 22:38 - Aug 20 with 845 viewsSwansea_Blue

More than a manager on 22:36 - Aug 20 by BlueBadger

Yeah, Hoddle's 'weird religious stuff' wasn't what got him sacked, it was a genuinely awful opinion about people with learning disabilities that caused him to lose favour publicly and in the dressing room.

Deserved to be disabled for previous sins, or some such rubbish wasn’t it? I grew up watching him and he was a glorious player. A right fruitloop with his views though. Having said that, he was ahead of his time in wanting to use sport psychology.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More than a manager on 10:40 - Aug 21 with 601 viewsChurchman

More than a manager on 22:38 - Aug 20 by Swansea_Blue

Deserved to be disabled for previous sins, or some such rubbish wasn’t it? I grew up watching him and he was a glorious player. A right fruitloop with his views though. Having said that, he was ahead of his time in wanting to use sport psychology.

Agree with that. A truly sublime footballer. I thought he was a pretty good manager too. But sorry, his views on certain things? He had to go.

An interesting one is Graham Taylor. Lineker’s interview was on 5 Live on Saturday and his view was that Taylor was out of his depth as an international manager. He actually reckoned that if he’d stayed true to his long ball philosophy he might have done a little better, but in trying to adapt his style to the players it was never going to work.

Whether this is bitterness on Lineker’s part I don’t know, but either way Taylor was a truly dreadful England manager. The personal abuse stuff? That was OTT just as it was/is with other national and club managers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024