Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta 13:17 - Aug 10 with 3960 viewsle2blue

As Joe said, Saints would seem most likely given Russell Martin and they have the cash to spend...

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:28 - Aug 10 with 3819 viewsSitfcB

‘Flynniesta’ cringing hell.

Wonder why it’s not worked out for him at West Ham, perhaps he’ll be back in the fold after a season away.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:29 - Aug 10 with 3791 viewsHerbivore

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:28 - Aug 10 by SitfcB

Wonder why it’s not worked out for him at West Ham, perhaps he’ll be back in the fold after a season away.

I always preferred Flynnedine Zidownes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:30 - Aug 10 with 3785 viewsHipsterectomy

I thought him gushing about the dream move as he is, and will always be, 'only West Ham' would give him some room for error with their fans, but they don't seem to have taken to him or rate him too highly.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:32 - Aug 10 with 3755 viewsle2blue

I jest. Maybe it was too much too soon for him, another Champ season will help with his development. Loved watching him play for us, such a shame that he wasn't here now as he'd thrive under KM. Maybe a season at Saints and he can rejoin us in the Prem.
Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:48 - Aug 10 with 3568 viewsearlsgreenblue

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:32 - Aug 10 by le2blue

I jest. Maybe it was too much too soon for him, another Champ season will help with his development. Loved watching him play for us, such a shame that he wasn't here now as he'd thrive under KM. Maybe a season at Saints and he can rejoin us in the Prem.

No, no, no, his heart is not here, & coming back would be a massive mistake on both parts, remember him fondly!
Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 18:42 - Aug 10 with 2946 viewsmonty_radio

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 13:30 - Aug 10 by Hipsterectomy

I thought him gushing about the dream move as he is, and will always be, 'only West Ham' would give him some room for error with their fans, but they don't seem to have taken to him or rate him too highly.

They certainly don't seem to. A Hammers friend of mine (yes, I know that some on here take it amiss that we should a) have any friends who have the audacity to be of another stripe b) that , if we do, we shouldn't own to it c) and further, such liaisons nullify any opinion we might offer) - Nevertheless, this West Ham friend of mine, and his weak-willed confederates, think that Downes has had more than enough time, and simply hasn't got what it takes.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 19:22 - Aug 10 with 2770 viewsArnieM

So, Downes likely to be playing his football back in the championship then…. Who’d have thought it.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 20:02 - Aug 10 with 2544 viewsmonty_radio

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 19:22 - Aug 10 by ArnieM

So, Downes likely to be playing his football back in the championship then…. Who’d have thought it.

Quite a few people, I think, or at least, those with the gift of prophecy who could foresee that he wouldn't kick on.

Login to get fewer ads

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 20:16 - Aug 10 with 2462 viewsGlasgowBlue

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 20:02 - Aug 10 by monty_radio

Quite a few people, I think, or at least, those with the gift of prophecy who could foresee that he wouldn't kick on.

It's not unusual for a Premier League player to be loaned out to a Championship club.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 20:20 - Aug 10 with 2428 viewsITFC_Forever

“Maybe if he stopped walking around like he was carrying a roll of carpet under each arm, looking for a fight all the time and started actually playing football, we’d see the best of him” to quote one TWTDer of the time.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 14:59 - Aug 11 with 1580 viewsmonty_radio

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 20:16 - Aug 10 by GlasgowBlue

It's not unusual for a Premier League player to be loaned out to a Championship club.

No it isn't. But at Downes stage, with successful Championship experience under belt, such a move, while it might be good for us, wouldn't be for him. Is it possible that he's not as good, or at least, as not all-rounded, as we all desperately wanted him to be?

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 15:16 - Aug 11 with 1448 viewsHerbivore

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 14:59 - Aug 11 by monty_radio

No it isn't. But at Downes stage, with successful Championship experience under belt, such a move, while it might be good for us, wouldn't be for him. Is it possible that he's not as good, or at least, as not all-rounded, as we all desperately wanted him to be?

That's quite a leap. He was a standout performer in the Championship at Swansea and that earned him a move to the Prem. He managed 35 appearances in all competitions for West Ham last season, and whilst they clearly don't see him as ready to fill a Rice shaped whole (which I imagine was originally the plan) that doesn't make him a bad player.

If he does drop back down to this level, and it's still an if at this stage, then he'll very likely be a regular at a side competing at the top of the league and it's more likely than not he'll be one of the top few midfielders in this league. If we somehow got him back he'd be the best player at the club by a distance, for all that we purr over Morsy and Luongo, Downes has already achieved more at 24/25 than either of them have in their entire careers.

I'm not sure this is quite the 'told you so' you seem to think it is.

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 15:55 - Aug 11 with 1352 viewsmonty_radio

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 15:16 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

That's quite a leap. He was a standout performer in the Championship at Swansea and that earned him a move to the Prem. He managed 35 appearances in all competitions for West Ham last season, and whilst they clearly don't see him as ready to fill a Rice shaped whole (which I imagine was originally the plan) that doesn't make him a bad player.

If he does drop back down to this level, and it's still an if at this stage, then he'll very likely be a regular at a side competing at the top of the league and it's more likely than not he'll be one of the top few midfielders in this league. If we somehow got him back he'd be the best player at the club by a distance, for all that we purr over Morsy and Luongo, Downes has already achieved more at 24/25 than either of them have in their entire careers.

Agree with some of that, but don't go beyond the brief. I was part of the "we" that hoped the greatest things for him. I've never posted that he wsn't a good player, nor thought it.

Nevertheless, it seems reasonably to suggest that perhaps I, and many others, worn down by life among the mediocre, invested a little too much in him? And while he clearly hasn't become a "bad player", some West Ham friends that I know, whose opinion i don't immediately discount, say that his game needs upping if he is to get near to becoming a regular player in the matchday squad.

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 16:00 - Aug 11 with 1323 viewsHerbivore

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 15:55 - Aug 11 by monty_radio

Agree with some of that, but don't go beyond the brief. I was part of the "we" that hoped the greatest things for him. I've never posted that he wsn't a good player, nor thought it.

Nevertheless, it seems reasonably to suggest that perhaps I, and many others, worn down by life among the mediocre, invested a little too much in him? And while he clearly hasn't become a "bad player", some West Ham friends that I know, whose opinion i don't immediately discount, say that his game needs upping if he is to get near to becoming a regular player in the matchday squad.

He was a regular player in the matchday squad last season, so surely it's more that he needs to up his game to stay there or be starting more often in the league?

Maybe I'm wrong, but was Downes ever really overhyped? I think when he went to Swansea people thought that with a good season he'd be worth way more than we sold him for and would get a move to the Prem, and that's exactly what happened. I'm not sure anyone was tipping him to be a regular for one of the big 6 or anything, or really to play more than he ultimately did for West Ham last season given the players ahead of him there.

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 16:11 - Aug 11 with 1251 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Four clubs leading chase for Flynniesta on 15:16 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Finally some sense!

As good as Morsy, Evans and Mass have been for us in League One, there is not a metric out there that would suggest that Downes is an inferior player to those three. Downes was clearly over qualified while playing for us and frustrated at a club, set up and manager going absolutely nowhere. Cook came in and essentially put the boots to him, why on earth would he want to stay? Cook did sign Rakeem Harper though...

Downes under McKenna would be something else, the idea that signing a young player who's played regularly in the top flight and with a minor European honour on his CV, being somehow a step back is frankly absurd. As for discipline, has anyone seen Morsy play? Talk about double standards! That's not a dig at Morsy but the idea Downes is somehow worse when Morsy has probably collected more cards in his two seasons here than entire Town squads managed between them is amusing to me!

He might not be a fit for West Ham, but you'd be a Leeds and Southampton side with him in it would be very strong contenders for promotion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024