Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? 06:29 - Jun 16 with 3235 viewswkj

What a journey his career has taken since he joined us.

Paul Hurst signed him at a level he was clearly not up to, didn't know how to manage him (thanks pique)
Paul Lambert binned him and made it clear he didn't like him (thanks again pique)
K McK Gave him a chance, and he owned it

And now? He gets the ultimate reward - the nod from his country for his first international selection.

Had JD stuck his fingers up at town I doubt many would have given him a hard time. Yet he stuck with us and proved to the pair of lesser pauls that he was A McKenna Magician

He might not be a club legend - but he has to go down as one of players I respect the most from my time following Town
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 16:27]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:35 - Jun 16 with 2895 viewsPique

While I agree wholeheartedly with your overall sentiments about Donacien, who has had an incredible journey with us...

Cook didn't bin him, he brought him back in from the wilderness and deserves some credit for that.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:38 - Jun 16 with 2870 viewswkj

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:35 - Jun 16 by Pique

While I agree wholeheartedly with your overall sentiments about Donacien, who has had an incredible journey with us...

Cook didn't bin him, he brought him back in from the wilderness and deserves some credit for that.

You're right, was it Hurst that binned him too? IIRC two managers binned him
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 6:47]

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:46 - Jun 16 with 2858 viewsPique

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:38 - Jun 16 by wkj

You're right, was it Hurst that binned him too? IIRC two managers binned him
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 6:47]

Hurst signed him but then didn't really seem to know what to do with him, and then Lambert definitely binned him and made little secret of the fact he didn't like him (I think he'd previously managed him at Aston Villa).
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:48 - Jun 16 with 2843 viewswkj

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:46 - Jun 16 by Pique

Hurst signed him but then didn't really seem to know what to do with him, and then Lambert definitely binned him and made little secret of the fact he didn't like him (I think he'd previously managed him at Aston Villa).

God what a knob that man was in hindsight. About the only tantrum he had to the media I think I agree with was the infrastructure being a mess at town.

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:52 - Jun 16 with 2812 viewsPique

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:48 - Jun 16 by wkj

God what a knob that man was in hindsight. About the only tantrum he had to the media I think I agree with was the infrastructure being a mess at town.

Sometimes I wake up with a start in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, and my wife says 'Are you OK? You kept saying something about a five year contract'.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:55 - Jun 16 with 2789 viewsGlasgowBlue

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:35 - Jun 16 by Pique

A big sliding doors moment being KVY having a nightmare at home to Bolton.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:04 - Jun 16 with 2765 viewsPique

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:55 - Jun 16 by GlasgowBlue

A big sliding doors moment being KVY having a nightmare at home to Bolton.

Yep. Up until that point Cook had tried both KVY and Donacien in his first few games, but after that it was Janoi all the way.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:07 - Jun 16 with 2751 viewswkj

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:04 - Jun 16 by Pique

Yep. Up until that point Cook had tried both KVY and Donacien in his first few games, but after that it was Janoi all the way.

Thinking about Lamberk putting Janoi on blast like that, does it not strike you as super weird? I mean Janoi always seems like he's one of the most down to earth and well spoken footballers - it baffles my mind what he could have done that made Lamberk carry a grudge that lasted over 10 years.

Login to get fewer ads

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:16 - Jun 16 with 2721 viewsBlueBadger

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:48 - Jun 16 by wkj

And even then, he only did that because his inexplicable early popularity was gone and he was trying to curry favour.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:20 - Jun 16 with 2706 viewsPique

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:07 - Jun 16 by wkj

Thinking about Lamberk putting Janoi on blast like that, does it not strike you as super weird? I mean Janoi always seems like he's one of the most down to earth and well spoken footballers - it baffles my mind what he could have done that made Lamberk carry a grudge that lasted over 10 years.

Let's not forget this was the same manager who effectively chucked Kayden Jackson, a model professional and all round decent human being by all accounts, out of his squad.

The man was an absolute imbecile.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:20 - Jun 16 with 2701 viewsBlueBoots

Love him - I think he's the best 1v1 defender at the club, which is going to be more important this season; bit of talk on here about looking for an "upgrade", but I think he and a few others have earned the right to have a crack at the Championship with their performances and attitude over the past couple of seasons.

Credit to him for going out on loan too when he was frozen out - a lot of players would have just stayed and thrown their toys out of the pram, or gone through the motions in training (or both).

As the other poster mentioned, some credit to Cook too for giving him a run in the team - for all Cook's failings, he has a good eye for players which he also proved with many of his signings.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:21 - Jun 16 with 2692 viewsBlueBadger

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:52 - Jun 16 by Pique

Sometimes I wake up with a start in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, and my wife says 'Are you OK? You kept saying something about a five year contract'.

Technically, we're still paying him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:21 - Jun 16 with 2693 viewswkj

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:16 - Jun 16 by BlueBadger

And even then, he only did that because his inexplicable early popularity was gone and he was trying to curry favour.

I agree, but I really would be curious what he has to say in the following years if he ever does a "hit interview" on his time at town. Much like Roy Keane did, it was a fascinating read on some of the weird things that Evens supposedly did.

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:27 - Jun 16 with 2613 viewsPique

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:21 - Jun 16 by BlueBadger

Technically, we're still paying him.

Well that's not going to help the night terrors.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:54 - Jun 16 with 2510 viewsBlueBadger

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:27 - Jun 16 by Pique

Well that's not going to help the night terrors.

You're welcome.

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 09:29 - Jun 16 with 2337 viewsCityBlue

Actually I think the truth is we all felt he was not up to scratch and then Toto - our preference at the time- sustained an injury and up stepped JD. He has not looked back since and was willing to take the hit when Clarke arrived with admirable humility. Similar in a way to Sone I believe and just reinforces the character of our squad and the players the recruitment team have brought in.
I think he is a perfect example to others.

I T I D

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 12:54 - Jun 16 with 2117 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. The guy’s a class act.

And on a side note, I can see us needing more of his defensive abilities this season so wouldn’t surprise me if him and Clarke have a bit of a tussle over that starting position at RB/RCB.

Pronouns: He/Him

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 12:59 - Jun 16 with 2104 viewsHipsterectomy

I think it was kings of anglia podcast that said the club were actively looking at ways to stop the incoming permanent transfer of him under Lambert.

He owed us nothing really, was played out of position on the left a lot, frozen out, made it clear he was unwanted here, a few loans away yet still always does his best for us

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 13:00 - Jun 16 with 2085 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 07:07 - Jun 16 by wkj

I believe I've spoken before about what a utterly unpleasant man Lambert was/is from the times I had to meet/deal with him at Aston Villa.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he could hold grudges for that long.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 13:14 - Jun 16 with 2041 viewsPhilTWTD

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 12:59 - Jun 16 by Hipsterectomy

I think it was kings of anglia podcast that said the club were actively looking at ways to stop the incoming permanent transfer of him under Lambert.

He owed us nothing really, was played out of position on the left a lot, frozen out, made it clear he was unwanted here, a few loans away yet still always does his best for us

Lambert tried to get out of the deal which had been done with Accrington. Accrington gave Town short shrift.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 14:11 - Jun 16 with 1865 viewsmonty_radio

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 12:54 - Jun 16 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. The guy’s a class act.

And on a side note, I can see us needing more of his defensive abilities this season so wouldn’t surprise me if him and Clarke have a bit of a tussle over that starting position at RB/RCB.

He was underrated by so many. I feel , though I can't prove it, that there were more people quietly impressed by him than this thread generally suggests Having said that, his later attacking flair was as unexpected as it was untried. Clarke is swashbuckilng, and is one of our own, but not yet as safe as Janoi.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 15:23 - Jun 16 with 1776 viewsBigCommon

Certainly earned a lot of "respect" ,as the OP puts it...
The values of being low maintenance, hard working and professional, are often overlooked as being crucial to a squad environment. Hence Jackson being one of the very first new contracts under KM...
Think JD played a huge role in Burns POTY stats last season. And if he ever, somehow, scores one off his backside. I think the roof would come off.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 16:19 - Jun 16 with 1681 viewsibbleobble

Point of order, he began to flourish under Cook. He got a regular run of games and started proving what a solid defender he was. His game going forward began improving with Burns doing a lot of leg work too. That wasn’t McKenna. McKenna improved his game but Cook gets credit too; Hurst not so much.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 16:35 - Jun 16 with 1659 viewsJakeITFC

Loyalty in a sense, but also he was on a relatively long-term deal on the best wages he had ever earned (and was ever likely to earn).

Not begrudging him it at all, but there wasn’t really a reason for him to leave.
Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 17:21 - Jun 16 with 1580 viewsibbleobble

Has there ever been a story of selfless loyalty like Janoi Donacien? on 06:46 - Jun 16 by Pique

Hurst signed him and played him at centre-back on the season opener against Blackburn. He looked a bundle of nerves that game. I think Lambert might have given him a few games as a CB declaring, “he’s not a full back”.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024