Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. 08:08 - Apr 25 with 1751 viewsNightmare

And enjoy your afternoon around the town, it’s changed a fair bit since last time you was here, so if you want to know anything, drop a question in here and I’ll answer you this afternoon when I get up.
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 08:11 - Apr 25 with 1701 viewsDJR

I'm arriving about 2.30pm and always like to look round a town I've never visited.

Any suggestions of what to see?
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 08:16 - Apr 25 with 1655 viewsunstableblue

Arriving at stadium at 6.30… what’s best option for a pre-match pint and perhaps a bit to eat? Near ground

Thanks in advance

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 08:21 - Apr 25 with 1604 viewsle2blue

Suggestions on good pub for food and a beer would be great, prefer on edge of town or a village nearby before we drive in to park at the working men’s club. Thanks!
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 08:39 - Apr 25 with 1543 viewsyorkshireblue

East Dene Club will be open for away fans from 4pm

I like The Dove Inn, which is also away fan friendly
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063652430011
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 09:19 - Apr 25 with 1342 viewsyorkshireblue

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 08:21 - Apr 25 by le2blue

Suggestions on good pub for food and a beer would be great, prefer on edge of town or a village nearby before we drive in to park at the working men’s club. Thanks!

Nightmare will know far more than me, but I have been to https://crosskeysdarfield.co.uk/ - which depending on where you are coming from will be on your way.
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 09:21 - Apr 25 with 1327 viewsSitfcB

Sound like the pub situation has changed since we last went up!

https://www.itfc.co.uk/siteassets/image/202223/2223-fan-guides/barnsley-25-april

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 09:58 - Apr 25 with 1205 viewsTobytyke

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 08:11 - Apr 25 by DJR

I'm arriving about 2.30pm and always like to look round a town I've never visited.

Any suggestions of what to see?

Good morning Tractor Boys & Girls.

I echo Nightmare's sentiments. Safe travels, 5,000 on a Tuesday night is a great following regardless of club size and league position.

If you're here early, I'd recommend a visit to the museum in the town hall. Entry is quite cheap (if not free), and there's plenty to look at in there from both the town and the clubs history. There's probably some stuff in there from the 2000 play off final, but don't quote me. Barnsley centre doesn't have many landmarks as such; there's the Dicky Bird and Billy Casper statues, but otherwise not much to see. It has been vastly redeveloped in the last 5 years so it's a much more pleasant place to walk around.

In terms of pubs and restaurants, Barnsley has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. A lot of away fans tend to drink in Sheffield before coming into Barnsley, but as a reds fan living in Sheffield, I can honestly say Barnsley is miles better for drinking these days.

If you walk along from the bus station up Eldon Street, past Parkway Cinema, you'll get the arcade on your right. That's good for micropub type bars, in particular Spiral City and the Jolly Tap. If you come out of the top of the Arcade, you'll be on Market Hill (just below the town hall). You've got the old number 7 straight across which is great for real ale and craft beer fans; they do beers from Acorn Brewery which is a Barnsley brewery, as well as guest beers from other Yorkshire breweries like Magic Rock and Northern Monk. On Market Hill, you've also got your typical chain pubs (Wetherspoons, craft union etc). There's also Evoo, who do good pizza, and 20% off drinks with a match ticket. Further up, theres the old bank, which is quite unique as it has seating area in the banks old vault. Behind Wetherspoons is Eadens, a bar owned and run by ex Barnsley defender and current u18's coach Nicky Eaden, who's final Barnsley appearance was the 2000 play off final (tenuous link I know).

Back down in the new 'town square' if you like, which is just to the left of the bus station, you've got the Market kitchen, which has a good variety of street foods on offer, and a number of new bars at its base. Across the square, you've got Falco lounge which does a decent all day brunch, and next door you have the Works which has darts, pool, shuffleboard and Sky Sports.

My only recommendation is hiding club colours. Pubs tend to operate a home fans only policy when a big gate is expected, but I can guarantee you'll get no trouble from the locals otherwise. I'd also recommend setting off to the ground a good 20 minutes before kick off, as road closures mean going the long way around the train station on the way to and from the ground.

Parking in Barnsley Council owned car parks is relatively inexpensive, and free after either 5 or 6pm. The best one in terms of proximity to the ground and town is called the Seam.

All the best for the future, I hope we somehow manage to pip you to the post, but it's obviously not going to happen. Fingers crossed for us to carry our good form into the play-offs.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 10:07]
Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 10:04 - Apr 25 with 1175 viewsTyke65

Hi Blues Fans
Just a bit of info for early travelling fans ,
For those who don’t want to park at the ground thers the East Dene WMC on Doncaster Road which is away fan friendly and ten mins from ground and Town Centre .
Could park there and walk into town where there is plenty on offer in our Brand new town centre ,
There’s the market kitchen which offers cuisine like egg and chips , pie n peas etc to Thai, Indian, Serbian , pizza etc and there’s also a bar, . Various eateries dotted about town KFC, Urban Burger, Nando’s etc .along with pub chains etc .
The market inside offers excellent cooked meat sandwiches, pies etc to vegan ,
The outdoor market on Tuesday is a mixture of flea market and new .
For those travelling really early if you’re interested there is the Experience Barnsley museum in the old town hall ( big white building with clock tower ) which covers the Towns Mining and Glass Heritage and has a small cafe for a coffee inside . Or there’s the brand new IMAX cinema complex near the Glass works , Market Kitchen area .
The Metrodome bar for those that arrive a bit later is a stone throw from the away coach, car park and also has a ten pin bowling alley but you may have to book before hand .
There the Joseph Bramahs pub in town which is a Wethers and just a few doors up is the old number seven which dies real ales .
Also the Dove Inn at top of Oakwell lane (five mins from East Dene ) is friendly to both seats of fans and has a beer garden .
Think that covers a fair bit but as nightmare says just ask ,
Not wishing you good luck but have safe journeys and Que Sera sera
Login to get fewer ads

Top boys, cheers on 10:13 - Apr 25 with 1105 viewsDyland

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 10:04 - Apr 25 by Tyke65

Hi Blues Fans
For those who don’t want to park at the ground thers the East Dene WMC on Doncaster Road which is away fan friendly and ten mins from ground and Town Centre .
Could park there and walk into town where there is plenty on offer in our Brand new town centre ,
There’s the market kitchen which offers cuisine like egg and chips , pie n peas etc to Thai, Indian, Serbian , pizza etc and there’s also a bar, . Various eateries dotted about town KFC, Urban Burger, Nando’s etc .along with pub chains etc .
For those travelling really early if you’re interested there is the Experience Barnsley museum in the old town hall ( big white building with clock tower ) which covers the Towns Mining and Glass Heritage and has a small cafe for a coffee inside . Or there’s the brand new IMAX cinema complex near the Glass works , Market Kitchen area .
The Metrodome bar for those that arrive a bit later is a stone throw from the away coach, car park and also has a ten pin bowling alley but you may have to book before hand .
There the Joseph Bramahs pub in town which is a Wethers and just a few doors up is the old number seven which dies real ales .
Also the Dove Inn at top of Oakwell lane (five mins from East Dene ) is friendly to both seats of fans and has a beer garden .

Likewise though, worst of luck to youse for tonight innit :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 10:15 - Apr 25 with 1097 viewsblueasfook

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 10:04 - Apr 25 by Tyke65

Hi Blues Fans

Just let us win. We've been stuck in this league for ages!

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

No statue of Dennis Cruickshank? (n/t) on 10:19 - Apr 25 with 1055 viewsDyland

Hope you all have a safe journey up here today. on 09:58 - Apr 25 by Tobytyke

Good morning Tractor Boys & Girls.

I echo Nightmare's sentiments. Safe travels, 5,000 on a Tuesday night is a great following regardless of club size and league position.

If you're here early, I'd recommend a visit to the museum in the town hall. Entry is quite cheap (if not free), and there's plenty to look at in there from both the town and the clubs history. There's probably some stuff in there from the 2000 play off final, but don't quote me. Barnsley centre doesn't have many landmarks as such; there's the Dicky Bird and Billy Casper statues, but otherwise not much to see. It has been vastly redeveloped in the last 5 years so it's a much more pleasant place to walk around.

In terms of pubs and restaurants, Barnsley has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. A lot of away fans tend to drink in Sheffield before coming into Barnsley, but as a reds fan living in Sheffield, I can honestly say Barnsley is miles better for drinking these days.

If you walk along from the bus station up Eldon Street, past Parkway Cinema, you'll get the arcade on your right. That's good for micropub type bars, in particular Spiral City and the Jolly Tap. If you come out of the top of the Arcade, you'll be on Market Hill (just below the town hall). You've got the old number 7 straight across which is great for real ale and craft beer fans; they do beers from Acorn Brewery which is a Barnsley brewery, as well as guest beers from other Yorkshire breweries like Magic Rock and Northern Monk. On Market Hill, you've also got your typical chain pubs (Wetherspoons, craft union etc). There's also Evoo, who do good pizza, and 20% off drinks with a match ticket. Further up, theres the old bank, which is quite unique as it has seating area in the banks old vault. Behind Wetherspoons is Eadens, a bar owned and run by ex Barnsley defender and current u18's coach Nicky Eaden, who's final Barnsley appearance was the 2000 play off final (tenuous link I know).

Back down in the new 'town square' if you like, which is just to the left of the bus station, you've got the Market kitchen, which has a good variety of street foods on offer, and a number of new bars at its base. Across the square, you've got Falco lounge which does a decent all day brunch, and next door you have the Works which has darts, pool, shuffleboard and Sky Sports.

My only recommendation is hiding club colours. Pubs tend to operate a home fans only policy when a big gate is expected, but I can guarantee you'll get no trouble from the locals otherwise. I'd also recommend setting off to the ground a good 20 minutes before kick off, as road closures mean going the long way around the train station on the way to and from the ground.

Parking in Barnsley Council owned car parks is relatively inexpensive, and free after either 5 or 6pm. The best one in terms of proximity to the ground and town is called the Seam.

All the best for the future, I hope we somehow manage to pip you to the post, but it's obviously not going to happen. Fingers crossed for us to carry our good form into the play-offs.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 10:07]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

No statue of Dennis Cruickshank? (n/t) on 11:04 - Apr 25 with 886 viewsTobytyke

No statue of Dennis Cruickshank? (n/t) on 10:19 - Apr 25 by Dyland

It's at the bottom of the Dearne, bloody woke leftists etc etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024