Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. 19:58 - Mar 22 with 1598 viewsMercian

I have not looked on Autotrader in 3 years and used car prices have gone through the roof. For example I helped my daughter buy a 2008 Citroen C1 in good condition with 50,000 miles just before the pandamic hit and she paid £1050. Now the same (model) car with similar mileage costs closer to £2500 and the car is now 3 years older. I was hoping to buy a 2015 to 2017 low mileage Fiesta for about £6 grand. More like £9/10 grand if i'm lucky. This is the first timethe inflation crisis has really hit home with me.
[Redacted] on 20:04 - Mar 22 with 1561 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 20:04 - Mar 22 with 1559 viewsKropotkin123

Eat your Turnips!!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 20:44 - Mar 22 with 1423 viewsOldsmoker

[Redacted] on 20:04 - Mar 22 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

My memory may not be as sharp as it was, but I can't remember 'reading' a Fiesta magazine.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 21:08 - Mar 22 with 1376 viewsNthQldITFC

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 20:44 - Mar 22 by Oldsmoker

My memory may not be as sharp as it was, but I can't remember 'reading' a Fiesta magazine.

My eyesight is not what it was, but I can remember what I saw!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 23:02 - Mar 22 with 1194 viewsDJR

The same was true last July when my daughter was buying a second hand car. However, I believe the high prices pre-date the cost of living crisis, and are down to a shortage of new cars due to supply chain issues caused by the pandemic.

Whatever the reason, I just thought the cost of second hand cars was crazy, especially given the paltry trade-in amounts I'd received over the years.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2023 23:03]
Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 06:39 - Mar 23 with 1019 viewsdickie

I paid £1600 for my 58 plate banger as a stop gap in 2019, it's worth about the same now despite me adding thousands of miles on it
Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 06:42 - Mar 23 with 1010 viewsITFC_Forever

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 23:02 - Mar 22 by DJR

The same was true last July when my daughter was buying a second hand car. However, I believe the high prices pre-date the cost of living crisis, and are down to a shortage of new cars due to supply chain issues caused by the pandemic.

Whatever the reason, I just thought the cost of second hand cars was crazy, especially given the paltry trade-in amounts I'd received over the years.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2023 23:03]

Yep, the lead time for a new car is anything up to a year or even more, so people aren’t bothering and are buying used.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 07:14 - Mar 23 with 955 viewsTractorWood

I had the same dilemma. I looked around for a while but ended up needing it quickly as the Fiesta failed. It was very hard to find anything under £8k which I didn't want to spend on a car.

Got an ancient Merc Kompressor with 100k for £4k. I don't do many miles so the poor mileage economy is not a massive problem.

I'd try to find something impractical and stupid. It will be cheaper than something sensible if budget is your primary driver.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 07:30 - Mar 23 with 895 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 07:14 - Mar 23 by TractorWood

I had the same dilemma. I looked around for a while but ended up needing it quickly as the Fiesta failed. It was very hard to find anything under £8k which I didn't want to spend on a car.

Got an ancient Merc Kompressor with 100k for £4k. I don't do many miles so the poor mileage economy is not a massive problem.

I'd try to find something impractical and stupid. It will be cheaper than something sensible if budget is your primary driver.

“Impractical and stupid”

I’m getting 14.7mpg out of a newly acquired XK8. I’ve always looked at them with envious eyes, and eventually the desire got the best of me. £5000 later I was driving from SE London to Newcastle in it.

It’s got a few bits and bobs that need doing, but it has the V8 roar, and it just makes me smile.

There’s only 2967 on them road, and they’re a proper GT car.

I wholeheartedly agree with your advice of buying something impractical and stupid. I’m finally owning a car I’ve wanted for a long, long time. I can’t get the kids in the back, the boot is small, it’s going to cost me some money getting it back to its former glory.

It’s pure driving joy. There’s no Bluetooth, just cassette player and CD changer. Fabulous.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 07:45 - Mar 23 with 846 viewsCBBlue

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 06:39 - Mar 23 by dickie

I paid £1600 for my 58 plate banger as a stop gap in 2019, it's worth about the same now despite me adding thousands of miles on it

Same here although I paid £1000 in 2018 for my 57 plate and see the same now selling for £1500+. It's complete madness!

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Looking to replace my ageing, high mileage 2009 Fiesta. Ouch. on 08:02 - Mar 23 with 803 viewsDeano69

Looking out for a car for my soon to be 17 year old. Buddy of mine does a little bit of trading as he is in the repair business. He said ‘ I’ve sold cars I would have scrapped 5 years ago for £2000-£3000 now’ but because they are dodgy but at that sort of money they are worth repairing, before it wasn’t worth spending anything on them.

Madness. Yet I regularly see new cars on PCP for like £150 a month. Can’t bring myself to put a new driver in one though.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024