Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Humphreys 08:01 - Dec 3 with 3194 viewsDubtractor

I think we're all agreed that he has been excellent for us so far, and looks to be our brightest prospect for a long time.

Second half last night was the first time for me that he looked like a young lad though - I think the second half passed him by a little bit and we allowed Fleetwood, through a combination of their aggression and actually playing a bit, to dictate the game. If we'd been able to have an Evans or a Ball in there in the second half, then I'm certain we'd have won the game.

Don't get me wrong, there was lots wrong with that second half performance, and plenty of worse performances than Humphreys, but us allowing Fleetwood to dictate the tempo was a massive problem. Also, none of that changes my view that Humphreys is the real deal, it was just a reminder that he is still a kid.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Humphreys on 08:09 - Dec 3 with 2644 viewsLeoMuff

Definitely was where we lost it, no reflection on Humphries really,it just really demanding in that role, and he was good first half. We desperately needed a third in there.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Humphreys on 08:12 - Dec 3 with 2628 viewsChrisd

We have to accept that he will have periods when he’ll be out of the game, not even seasoned professionals play well all the time. He’s a young lad, not the finished article, he’s still finding his game in the first team. It’s a big ask for him, but he’s stepped up to the plate and certainly been a bright spark. Naturally, our CM ‘injury’ situation has quickly elevated him, but what he has shown is he is more than good enough. It would be nice if more of our senior players stepped up more, instead of relying on a 19 year old to keep delivering game after game.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 8:23]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Humphreys on 08:14 - Dec 3 with 2612 viewsLeoMuff

Humphreys on 08:12 - Dec 3 by Chrisd

We have to accept that he will have periods when he’ll be out of the game, not even seasoned professionals play well all the time. He’s a young lad, not the finished article, he’s still finding his game in the first team. It’s a big ask for him, but he’s stepped up to the plate and certainly been a bright spark. Naturally, our CM ‘injury’ situation has quickly elevated him, but what he has shown is he is more than good enough. It would be nice if more of our senior players stepped up more, instead of relying on a 19 year old to keep delivering game after game.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 8:23]

Morsy was outstanding I thought, but Chaplin, Edwards, Burns, Lapdapo, Jackson all had off days, some more than others. Tbf Chappers had lumps kicked out of him.

The only Muff in Town.

Humphreys on 08:20 - Dec 3 with 2588 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes, said similar to a couple of mates last night - thought we really needed a change in the middle but didn’t have any options available to do it. Injuries really biting us there

On a related note has anyone seen Morsy since half time last night?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Humphreys on 08:37 - Dec 3 with 2523 viewsStokieBlue

Humphreys on 08:14 - Dec 3 by LeoMuff

Morsy was outstanding I thought, but Chaplin, Edwards, Burns, Lapdapo, Jackson all had off days, some more than others. Tbf Chappers had lumps kicked out of him.

Jackson?

When he came on he did pretty well, both defensively and in attack. Should have had a penalty at the end.

Very harsh.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Humphreys on 08:41 - Dec 3 with 2509 viewsDubtractor

Humphreys on 08:37 - Dec 3 by StokieBlue

Jackson?

When he came on he did pretty well, both defensively and in attack. Should have had a penalty at the end.

Very harsh.

SB

I know you tend to defend Jackson, but he really wasn't great last night. Far too loose in possession and part of the reason that we kept allowing Fleetwood to come back at us - the time he took the ball to the corner and just let them have it really stood out.

It wasn't a game for his strengths at all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Humphreys on 08:54 - Dec 3 with 2432 viewsITFCBlues

Well yeah, that's why it was just utterly baffling that we were wheeling him out in both the cup games the last couple of weeks. The kid needed a break, that much was clear yet he started both Cup games?!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Humphreys on 09:04 - Dec 3 with 2379 viewsStokieBlue

Humphreys on 08:41 - Dec 3 by Dubtractor

I know you tend to defend Jackson, but he really wasn't great last night. Far too loose in possession and part of the reason that we kept allowing Fleetwood to come back at us - the time he took the ball to the corner and just let them have it really stood out.

It wasn't a game for his strengths at all.

I think that's harsh, he was better than most last night.

The time he took it to the corner it dribbled it very slowly and wasted more time than if he had sprinted there and shielded it. He also did some excellent work in defence where he turned 3 of their players and dribbled it clear and he won what should have been a clear penalty.

To say Jackson was "part of the reason" they came back at us is extremely harsh, unfortunately it was lost far more in central midfield and with the defence hoofing it clear and surrendering possession.

I think he's unfairly singled out by some, he was only on from the 68th minute and the decline started before that.

SB
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 9:07]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Humphreys on 09:06 - Dec 3 with 2360 viewsGlasgowBlue

As I said last night, the midfield looked very tired in the second half. Humphreys and Morsy have had to play pretty much every minute of every game since Ball and Evans got injured. Even cup games.

The second half was made for a Ball or an Evans. Somebody who could slow the game down and command possession.

It's a case of limping through until January with what we have.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Humphreys on 09:06 - Dec 3 with 2357 viewsbackwaywhen

Humphreys on 08:54 - Dec 3 by ITFCBlues

Well yeah, that's why it was just utterly baffling that we were wheeling him out in both the cup games the last couple of weeks. The kid needed a break, that much was clear yet he started both Cup games?!

He simply had too much to do with only 2 in the middle , not really going to single him out for that reason alone , as said by another , needed a 3rd body in there .
Humphreys on 09:08 - Dec 3 with 2327 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally felt he was left to pick up the midfield in place of the more experienced Captain.

Morsy was shocking 2nd half, worst performance from him in a town shirt imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Humphreys on 09:08 - Dec 3 with 2330 viewsBloomBlue

Would we? Lincoln was a similar game and Evans played in that game and went missing.

I thought if we missed anyone it was Harness. The ball wasnt sticking with Ladapo, Edwards or Burns and Harness is great at picking up those lose balls in the gaps. Edwards isn't a No10 to me he's more out and out winger and floating in isn't natural. Chaplin didn't add a lot either.
Fleetwood mgmt in the 2nd half went with a much more strict 4-4-2 and overran our midfield with 4 against 2 and with nothing sticking with the forwards the midfield was forced backwards.

Confidence at home also seems to be an issue now but I thought McK was trying to match that 4-4-2 when Leigh & KVY were about to come but instead stayed with the same formation.
Humphreys on 09:10 - Dec 3 with 2318 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jackson?

Very harsh.

SB

I thought we saw the best and worst of Jackson in one move last night.

Did well to get hold of the ball, used his pace to beat one man then had an awful touch which saw the ball run away from him and out us under more pressure.

Thought he could have done better at keeping the ball at the corner flag just before they scored.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Humphreys on 09:20 - Dec 3 with 2269 viewsLeoMuff

Jackson?

Very harsh.

SB

Yes probably was harsh, he did some good things and should have had a pen, but we needed to retain the ball which is not his strength being fair.

The only Muff in Town.

Humphreys on 09:24 - Dec 3 with 2251 viewsDJR

Humphreys on 09:04 - Dec 3 by StokieBlue

I think that's harsh, he was better than most last night.

The time he took it to the corner it dribbled it very slowly and wasted more time than if he had sprinted there and shielded it. He also did some excellent work in defence where he turned 3 of their players and dribbled it clear and he won what should have been a clear penalty.

To say Jackson was "part of the reason" they came back at us is extremely harsh, unfortunately it was lost far more in central midfield and with the defence hoofing it clear and surrendering possession.

I think he's unfairly singled out by some, he was only on from the 68th minute and the decline started before that.

SB
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 9:07]

As is usually the case with Jackson, he is way down the TWTD player ratings but in my view he made much better use of the ball than, say, Chaplin, whose quick passes rarely came off.
Humphreys on 09:34 - Dec 3 with 2220 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Humphreys on 09:06 - Dec 3 by GlasgowBlue

As I said last night, the midfield looked very tired in the second half. Humphreys and Morsy have had to play pretty much every minute of every game since Ball and Evans got injured. Even cup games.

The second half was made for a Ball or an Evans. Somebody who could slow the game down and command possession.

It's a case of limping through until January with what we have.

I'd be very worried if he was tired after such little football.

You mention them playing every game since those injuries which happened recently.

How many 90 mins did matt holland play consecutively?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Humphreys on 09:42 - Dec 3 with 2199 viewsDJR

Humphreys on 09:34 - Dec 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd be very worried if he was tired after such little football.

You mention them playing every game since those injuries which happened recently.

How many 90 mins did matt holland play consecutively?

I think we have to give some allowance to Humphreys who is only 19, not fully developed and not used to the intensity of week-in, week-out Division 1 football. In any event, I don't think the midfield were helped by the inability of our attacking players to make the ball stick. Edwards and Chaplin were particularly bad in that regard.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 9:44]
Humphreys on 09:48 - Dec 3 with 2169 viewsLord_Lucan

He’s got a ready made song for him as well.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Humphreys on 09:50 - Dec 3 with 2159 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Humphreys on 09:42 - Dec 3 by DJR

I think we have to give some allowance to Humphreys who is only 19, not fully developed and not used to the intensity of week-in, week-out Division 1 football. In any event, I don't think the midfield were helped by the inability of our attacking players to make the ball stick. Edwards and Chaplin were particularly bad in that regard.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 9:44]

Hes played 5 matches!!!!! Not 50.

I'm not comparing ability here, but look at Bellingham at 19 and how much football he has played.

I think people go way overboard on this.

Downes was playing week in werk out in the Champ at the same age, and at Luton when younger.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 9:50]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Humphreys on 09:59 - Dec 3 with 2116 viewsDJR

Humphreys on 09:50 - Dec 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not comparing ability here, but look at Bellingham at 19 and how much football he has played.

Downes was playing week in werk out in the Champ at the same age, and at Luton when younger.

I can see what you are saying, but I don't think the intention at the start of the season was for Humphreys to be playing consecutive league and cup games. Instead, I imagine McK wanted to keep him under his wings, allow him to learn from the more experienced players, and get experience in cup games with maybe the odd sub appearance.

EDIT: I am not quite sure what we would have done last night if Morsy or Humphreys had got injured, with no midfielder on the bench. Maybe we would have moved Woolfy forward, or put Burns or Edwards there.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 10:03]
Humphreys on 10:02 - Dec 3 with 2101 viewssotd78

Humphreys on 09:08 - Dec 3 by FrimleyBlue

Personally felt he was left to pick up the midfield in place of the more experienced Captain.

Morsy was shocking 2nd half, worst performance from him in a town shirt imo.

Morsy, Chaplin and the defence about the only ones who played 97 minutes properly. The rest in patches. We needed another body in midfield after 70 minutes and didn't have that option. That's all.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Humphreys on 10:04 - Dec 3 with 2094 viewsWubbleU

Humphreys on 09:50 - Dec 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Humphreys is great on the ball but him and Morsy don't work as a pair when we are off the ball. We lose our shape and we lose dominance of possession and this wasn't the first time. It happened in the 1st half at Exeter and the previous home game. Maybe him and Morsy are too similar or maybe Humphreys has a bit to learn when the opposition have the ball.
A great prospect but he needs a break now, he'll get another chance and will be better for the break.
Humphreys on 10:07 - Dec 3 with 2079 viewsFrimleyBlue

Humphreys on 10:04 - Dec 3 by WubbleU

Humphreys is great on the ball but him and Morsy don't work as a pair when we are off the ball. We lose our shape and we lose dominance of possession and this wasn't the first time. It happened in the 1st half at Exeter and the previous home game. Maybe him and Morsy are too similar or maybe Humphreys has a bit to learn when the opposition have the ball.
A great prospect but he needs a break now, he'll get another chance and will be better for the break.

Look back at their goal. our 2 midfielders allowed the shot to be made, Morsy bizarrely put his hands behind his back when not even in a place where the ball could hit him.

Waka waka eh eh

Humphreys on 10:09 - Dec 3 with 2078 viewsDJR

Humphreys on 10:04 - Dec 3 by WubbleU

To be fair to Humphreys, there have been periods in games when Evans and Morsy have lost dominance of possession as well.

Maybe it's just a consequence of the way we are set up when the attacking players aren't in form.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2022 10:14]
Humphreys on 10:15 - Dec 3 with 2054 viewsFrimleyBlue

Humphreys on 10:02 - Dec 3 by sotd78

Morsy, Chaplin and the defence about the only ones who played 97 minutes properly. The rest in patches. We needed another body in midfield after 70 minutes and didn't have that option. That's all.

what is playing properly?

chaplin ran about, couldn't hold the ball, couldn't pass the ball, fell over at every opportunity.

Morsy played 45 minutes, not sure what on earth happened to him 2nd half

defence were fine, but donacien was blowing after 60 minutes which didnt help our cause.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024