Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Superb WW1 film restoration 17:15 - Nov 20 with 1723 viewsgtsb1966

Colour added, slowed down and sound affects added. The sound really does bring this to life.
Superb WW1 film restoration on 17:51 - Nov 20 with 1635 viewsHARRY10

That's quite stunning, excellent

and adds to this

starts around one minute

That film was taken before the attack on the morning of 1st July 1916 -

"Many of those whom Malins had filmed hours earlier did not live to see the sun set — 163 killed, 312 wounded and 11 missing."
[Post edited 20 Nov 2022 18:07]
Superb WW1 film restoration on 18:26 - Nov 20 with 1563 viewsDeepBlueSea

Superb WW1 film restoration on 17:51 - Nov 20 by HARRY10

and adds to this

starts around one minute

"Many of those whom Malins had filmed hours earlier did not live to see the sun set — 163 killed, 312 wounded and 11 missing."

That’s amazing, thanks for posting that. My God, what skills by the lip reader though with footage that old.
Superb WW1 film restoration on 20:27 - Nov 20 with 1431 viewsNthQldITFC

Fantastic thanks, I loved watching that. I know it's war and you wouldn't really want to be there, but the simplicity of life then with sod all motorised transport around, no social media and when people didn't have their time stolen from them by advertising and technology is very attractive. Oh to live in a time when you didn't know that we had already effectively killed the planet!

One pedantic point; the explosion on the far ridge at c4:00 must be at least half a mile away and thus the sound ought to have been at least two seconds after the puff of the explosion, yet it was instant.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Superb WW1 film restoration on 21:20 - Nov 20 with 1359 viewsHARRY10

Superb WW1 film restoration on 20:27 - Nov 20 by NthQldITFC

Fantastic thanks, I loved watching that. I know it's war and you wouldn't really want to be there, but the simplicity of life then with sod all motorised transport around, no social media and when people didn't have their time stolen from them by advertising and technology is very attractive. Oh to live in a time when you didn't know that we had already effectively killed the planet!

One pedantic point; the explosion on the far ridge at c4:00 must be at least half a mile away and thus the sound ought to have been at least two seconds after the puff of the explosion, yet it was instant.

With few radio waves etc in the way, sound could travel much faster, as did humans if you watch footage from around that time.

It is the reason WW1 took two years less than WW2.

And would these chaps have been in such a hurry had they known what lay ahead

Superb WW1 film restoration on 21:28 - Nov 20 with 1353 viewsNthQldITFC

Superb WW1 film restoration on 21:20 - Nov 20 by HARRY10

With few radio waves etc in the way, sound could travel much faster, as did humans if you watch footage from around that time.

It is the reason WW1 took two years less than WW2.

And would these chaps have been in such a hurry had they known what lay ahead

I see.

(It's probably also why when I said "I see" above, it came out in that high-pitched, clipped BBC style of the 1940s, I suppose?)

Superb WW1 film restoration on 22:12 - Nov 20 with 1304 viewsHARRY10

Superb WW1 film restoration on 21:28 - Nov 20 by NthQldITFC

I see.

(It's probably also why when I said "I see" above, it came out in that high-pitched, clipped BBC style of the 1940s, I suppose?)

this'll learn 'em

Superb WW1 film restoration on 22:19 - Nov 20 with 1302 viewsfactual_blue

Superb WW1 film restoration on 20:27 - Nov 20 by NthQldITFC

That mistimed sound effect ruined the whole thing for me.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Superb WW1 film restoration on 22:38 - Nov 20 with 1276 viewsHARRY10

Superb WW1 film restoration on 17:51 - Nov 20 by HARRY10

and adds to this

starts around one minute

a modern explanation

well worth 6 minutes of anyones time
Login to get fewer ads

Superb WW1 film restoration on 00:28 - Nov 21 with 1210 viewsChurchman

Fascinating. Thank you for posting this. I didn’t think I’d find it particularly interesting but it is in that it turns grainy black and white images into people.

World War One is such a difficult conflict to understand because of the sheer scale of it. As the years have gone on I have become more and more interested in it not least because of the amount of material available. There is plenty of myth and misinformation about it. There are almost limitless stories of creativeness, bravery and sheer horror and suffering.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2022 0:48]
Superb WW1 film restoration on 08:56 - Nov 21 with 1068 viewsNthQldITFC

Superb WW1 film restoration on 22:19 - Nov 20 by factual_blue

That mistimed sound effect ruined the whole thing for me.

Do you mean when you watched the video, or at the time in Belgium?

Superb WW1 film restoration on 11:40 - Nov 21 with 1030 viewsGuthrum

They are American troops, right at the end of the War, during the final advance across a region which hadn't been that heavily fought over in the preceding years, hence the (relative) lack of destruction, old trench lines, barbed wire, etc. Interesting mixture of British-style and French equipment and artillery/machineguns.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Superb WW1 film restoration on 15:46 - Nov 21 with 994 viewsfactual_blue

Superb WW1 film restoration on 08:56 - Nov 21 by NthQldITFC

Do you mean when you watched the video, or at the time in Belgium?

Yes.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Superb WW1 film restoration on 16:13 - Nov 21 with 985 viewsHARRY10

Superb WW1 film restoration on 11:40 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

They are American troops, right at the end of the War, during the final advance across a region which hadn't been that heavily fought over in the preceding years, hence the (relative) lack of destruction, old trench lines, barbed wire, etc. Interesting mixture of British-style and French equipment and artillery/machineguns.

I believe it is the Meuse Argonne battle - Sept 1918.

Not an all together accurate clip - the aim was specifically to take the German railway hub at Sedan, thus stopping resupply, quick movement of troops etc

Pershing's failure to integrate US troops with the other allies who had been 'at it' for over 4 years, saw thousands of raw US troops needlessly killed. Pershing was of his age they say. Yes, the US civil war. Getting troops to attack in waves across open land caused the death of so many. And not informing his officers of the imminent cease fire (11am) led to the deaths of US troops on the morning of 11th November 1918

- starts 6.00 mins
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024