Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook 16:50 - Jul 5 with 2555 viewsBonneNIL

He left here with a lot of negativity, but he must have something about him. The amount of players and staff that follow him between his clubs is probably unprecedented in the modern game, most of his signings here had played with him a few times elsewhere and now players who we're even with him a year here are joining him at his new club.

Surely he can't be all that bad to command that sort of loyalty from people? I know I'd never go back to work for a bad boss, regardless of what they paid me.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Paul Cook on 16:56 - Jul 5 with 2495 viewsBlueBadger

Loads of Hurst and Keane's players followed them around. Surely they must have something about them.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 17:08]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Cook on 16:59 - Jul 5 with 2448 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Cook on 16:56 - Jul 5 by BlueBadger

Loads of Hurst and Keane's players followed them around. Surely they must have something about them.

Exactly what I thought in response to the OP.

I guess they are happy to take the better contract in the knowledge the manager is unlikely to be there for long.

I also thought, Dobra was clearly a player who Cook did not especially rate but he is prepared to take him where he is now. I wonder how long before he is left out in the cold again. Or perhaps that is just his level.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Cook on 16:59 - Jul 5 with 2431 viewsFrimleyBlue

He's just an old school manager with old school ways.

It will work with some players. It won't with others.

Just like KM is liked by some. Whereas some at utd found him boring and teacherlike.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Paul Cook on 17:01 - Jul 5 with 2433 viewsBonneNIL

Paul Cook on 16:56 - Jul 5 by BlueBadger

How many of them went back to play for them after what happened at Ipswich? Keane basically became a respected assistant and I don't recall Hurst signing many of the players he brought here for the clubs he was at afterward?

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Paul Cook on 17:07 - Jul 5 with 2384 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 17:01 - Jul 5 by BonneNIL

How many of them went back to play for them after what happened at Ipswich? Keane basically became a respected assistant and I don't recall Hurst signing many of the players he brought here for the clubs he was at afterward?

Plyers will go where they're offered money. I'm always suspicious of managers who have the same players following them everywhere - it rather suggests that they've gotten lucky and are too lazy/incompetent to actually scout for players that would fit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Paul Cook on 17:10 - Jul 5 with 2356 viewsjayessess

Isn't it likely to be the other way round - that Cook's main recruitment technique is to reach out to players he knows?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Paul Cook on 17:24 - Jul 5 with 2270 viewsIllinoisblue

Kit men masquerading as coaches have limited options.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Paul Cook on 19:41 - Jul 5 with 2096 viewstractordownsouth

Cook probably is still a better manager than many at other National League/League 2 clubs but that's not saying much.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook on 19:44 - Jul 5 with 2067 viewsRadlett_blue

Paul Cook on 17:07 - Jul 5 by BlueBadger

Plyers will go where they're offered money. I'm always suspicious of managers who have the same players following them everywhere - it rather suggests that they've gotten lucky and are too lazy/incompetent to actually scout for players that would fit.

And while there was all the speculation about how players didn't like playing for Keane, Márton Fülöp, Carlos Edwards, Grant Leadbitter, Jack Colback, David Healy and Daryl Murphy were all happy to move from Sunderland to Ipswich.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Paul Cook on 19:48 - Jul 5 with 2043 viewsGlasgowBlue

Carlos Edwards
Daryl Murphy
Jack Colback
Grant Leadbitter
Stern John
Márton Fülöp (R.I.P.)

I rest my case

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Paul Cook on 21:35 - Jul 5 with 1830 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Paul Cook on 19:41 - Jul 5 by tractordownsouth

Cook probably is still a better manager than many at other National League/League 2 clubs but that's not saying much.

Time will tell!
Paul Cook on 21:42 - Jul 5 with 1805 viewsParky

I know this is unpopular, but Cook’s recruitment on the whole was very good, with alledgedly no recruitment team.

Yes the club as a whole is probably in a better place and we play better football, but I honestly don’t think our overall position last season would’ve been any worse if we’d have kept Cook.

All the above said, I’m very positive in McKenna and the club seems to have changed more to a ‘modern club’ under his appointment. Very big season ahead though, hopefully we can get out of this league.

FWIW, I also think we’d have probably been no worse off if we’d have stuck with Hurst. Never forget Lambert taking us down with no fight and the wànker got clapped off.
Paul Cook on 10:04 - Jul 6 with 1369 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 21:42 - Jul 5 by Parky

I know this is unpopular, but Cook’s recruitment on the whole was very good, with alledgedly no recruitment team.

Yes the club as a whole is probably in a better place and we play better football, but I honestly don’t think our overall position last season would’ve been any worse if we’d have kept Cook.

All the above said, I’m very positive in McKenna and the club seems to have changed more to a ‘modern club’ under his appointment. Very big season ahead though, hopefully we can get out of this league.

FWIW, I also think we’d have probably been no worse off if we’d have stuck with Hurst. Never forget Lambert taking us down with no fight and the wànker got clapped off.

It was Hurst who recruited and demoralised the players who got us relegated in the first place.

Lambert simply did absolutely nothing by way of coaching, tactics or motivation beyond showing them photos of him in Germany.

Paul Cook on 10:28 - Jul 6 with 1268 viewsjayessess

Paul Cook on 21:42 - Jul 5 by Parky

Was it good recruitment or did he just have a bunch of money to spend?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Paul Cook on 10:37 - Jul 6 with 1225 viewsmarkchips

Paul Cook on 16:59 - Jul 5 by FrimleyBlue

He's just an old school manager with old school ways.

It will work with some players. It won't with others.

Just like KM is liked by some. Whereas some at utd found him boring and teacherlike.

Bit like a schoolteacher ?
Paul Cook on 10:42 - Jul 6 with 1180 viewsRadlett_blue

Paul Cook on 10:04 - Jul 6 by BlueBadger

It was Hurst who recruited and demoralised the players who got us relegated in the first place.

Lambert simply did absolutely nothing by way of coaching, tactics or motivation beyond showing them photos of him in Germany.

Hurst didn't recruit well. How many of his signings, who weren't exactly cheap, were up to Championship standard? However, his real folly was to create a divide between Town's established senior players, some of whom he disrespected & the new boys.

Paul Cook on 10:42 - Jul 6 with 1179 viewsstopmoaning

I think it just proves how much crap it is!

Dobra doesn’t know him that much, he is just saying it as it’s someone he played briefly under before. It’s a line for news articles.
Paul Cook on 11:03 - Jul 6 with 1091 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Paul Cook on 10:42 - Jul 6 by Radlett_blue

Hurst didn't recruit well. How many of his signings, who weren't exactly cheap, were up to Championship standard? However, his real folly was to create a divide between Town's established senior players, some of whom he disrespected & the new boys.

None of though that is an excuse for a lack of fight and professionalism from the players. But because Evans didn't care and there was no pressure at all in terms of where we were in the football hierarchy they settled for a nice and easy payday at Ipswich while waffling the same cliches in the interviews. Spineless relegation and we haven't even threatened the top 6 place in League One. So it can't be that is all managers' fault. Players have their responsibilities too but they failed for the three managers so it's quite telling.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2022 11:03]
Paul Cook on 11:03 - Jul 6 with 1088 viewsJ2BLUE

It's a fair point.

I think managers signing players they already know is a way of reducing risk for both sides. In Dobra's case his next move is crucial. Whether he is a big Cook fan or not, the fact Cook wants him there and has previously had an in depth look at what he can offer makes it an ideal move for Dobra.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Cook on 11:05 - Jul 6 with 1079 viewsDMDC

Worst manager we have ever hired. Utterly useless. Just loved to hear his own voice and most the time he was talking BS.
Paul Cook on 11:11 - Jul 6 with 1047 viewsParky

Paul Cook on 10:04 - Jul 6 by BlueBadger

Whilst I’m not intending to praise Hurst, when Lambert took over we were only 5 points from safety with 31 games left. We didn’t show any fight, absolutely none. Each to their own, but I struggle to see how it would have been any worse sticking with Hurst.
Paul Cook on 11:13 - Jul 6 with 1032 viewsITFC_96

Paul Cook on 10:42 - Jul 6 by stopmoaning

I think it just proves how much crap it is!

Dobra doesn’t know him that much, he is just saying it as it’s someone he played briefly under before. It’s a line for news articles.

We have no idea what happened behind the scenes though. Clements and Dobra would both have been training with the first team. I did hear that Cook was relatively critical of the ownership not allowing youngsters to be pushed through or played, and I imagine this is also linked to Atay and Dyer moving on from the academy roles.

I also heard from somewhere that Dobra actually had more starts under Cook than under Lambert, despite being under him for a much shorter time!
Paul Cook on 11:48 - Jul 6 with 945 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Cook on 11:05 - Jul 6 by DMDC

Worst manager we have ever hired. Utterly useless. Just loved to hear his own voice and most the time he was talking BS.

He's rubbish but he's not even the worst Paul we've had.

Paul Cook on 11:53 - Jul 6 with 906 viewsGarv

Paul Cook on 11:13 - Jul 6 by ITFC_96

We have no idea what happened behind the scenes though. Clements and Dobra would both have been training with the first team. I did hear that Cook was relatively critical of the ownership not allowing youngsters to be pushed through or played, and I imagine this is also linked to Atay and Dyer moving on from the academy roles.

I also heard from somewhere that Dobra actually had more starts under Cook than under Lambert, despite being under him for a much shorter time!

Same as Woolfenden. He mentioned recently that the reason he didn't play at the start of last season was that we'd just bought a couple of CBs for money and Cook basically had to play them.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Paul Cook on 11:55 - Jul 6 with 868 viewsRadlett_blue

Paul Cook on 11:03 - Jul 6 by J2BLUE

It's a fair point.

I think managers signing players they already know is a way of reducing risk for both sides. In Dobra's case his next move is crucial. Whether he is a big Cook fan or not, the fact Cook wants him there and has previously had an in depth look at what he can offer makes it an ideal move for Dobra.

Well, after failing to get a look-in at Colchester, it makes sense for Dobra to go down a step in the hope of getting regular game time & improving. If he doesn't make an impression there it's hard to see where he goes next.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024