Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading festival aftermath - 21:13 - Aug 31 with 2266 viewsElderGrizzly

Probably the same people who complain about plastic pollution and climate change…
Reading festival aftermath - on 21:16 - Aug 31 with 2205 viewsGuthrum

Glastonbury was always the same. A sea of rubbish swept up by the litter-pickers early each morning, then a vast mass of abandoned tents and broken gazebos at the end.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:18 - Aug 31 with 2173 viewsElderGrizzly

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:16 - Aug 31 by Guthrum

Glastonbury was always the same. A sea of rubbish swept up by the litter-pickers early each morning, then a vast mass of abandoned tents and broken gazebos at the end.

Sad that it is an accepted practice now
Reading festival aftermath - on 21:28 - Aug 31 with 2097 viewsGuthrum

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:18 - Aug 31 by ElderGrizzly

Sad that it is an accepted practice now

People would turn up, buy a tent and sleeping bag from the on-site Millets, then just leave them there at home-time.

A charity came up with the idea of collecting them for use by refugees in Africa. But it took months to clean the mud and vomit off the reclaimed tents, so that didn't work out.

Even more farcical was the year of the "green tent pegs", allegedly made of potato, or some other biodegradeable material, which were handed out free. Unfortunately, they simply broke when you tried to hammer them into hard soil. Tho I did hear of people trying to cook and eat them.

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:29 - Aug 31 with 2080 viewsBlueBadger

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:28 - Aug 31 by Guthrum

People would turn up, buy a tent and sleeping bag from the on-site Millets, then just leave them there at home-time.

A charity came up with the idea of collecting them for use by refugees in Africa. But it took months to clean the mud and vomit off the reclaimed tents, so that didn't work out.

Even more farcical was the year of the "green tent pegs", allegedly made of potato, or some other biodegradeable material, which were handed out free. Unfortunately, they simply broke when you tried to hammer them into hard soil. Tho I did hear of people trying to cook and eat them.

Probably better for you than the average festival burger, in fairness.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:33 - Aug 31 with 2048 viewsGuthrum

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:29 - Aug 31 by BlueBadger

Probably better for you than the average festival burger, in fairness.

Loads of nice food stalls at Glasto (if you avoided the ubiquitous overpriced cheese crepes). Tho, being crew, we had a canteen.

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:42 - Aug 31 with 1993 viewsMerseyBlue

It's shameful that this still goes on.

When I was younger there was always this rumour that spread around the place that the tents would be recycled. I remember being mocked by friends for packing up my £10 tent from Tesco and lugging it through the fields, to the bus and then through the mammoth queue at the train station.

I remember having to clean it out when I got home, but I'm not sure what my dad did with it after it had been purged of puke and dried on the line. I certainly never used it again, although as a tent that didn't do much of a job of keeping you dry brand new, it wouldn't have been good for much with several burn holes. I'm certain he would have tried to recycle it but I'm not sure if that was even possible back in the early 2000s.

I moved away from "disposable" tents after my second year of festivals and never looked back. I actually bought myself a nice new one not long before the pandemic. Looking forward to getting to finally put the white elephant to use at some point next year!

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:50 - Aug 31 with 1940 viewsDubtractor

It is disgusting behaviour, but trust me, none of the current Reading festival clientele would be eco warriors. It really isn't that sort of festival at all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Reading festival aftermath - on 22:10 - Aug 31 with 1784 viewsdominiciawful

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:50 - Aug 31 by Dubtractor

It is disgusting behaviour, but trust me, none of the current Reading festival clientele would be eco warriors. It really isn't that sort of festival at all.

Isn't it full of trashy, cringey 16-year-olds who think they're hard/dress like skanks and are done up on ketamine?... Or something like that.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Login to get fewer ads

Reading festival aftermath - on 06:37 - Sep 1 with 1481 viewsbluelagos

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:50 - Aug 31 by Dubtractor

Sums up the entitled attitude of much of society today, interested in getting as much out without apparently giving a sh1t about the impact on the world around them?

When did this become normalised? Saw someone tslking about Snowdon the other day "If you can carry it up the mountain, you can take it away too"

Sounding like a grumpy old man, but the news reports on this yesterday were quite enlightening. I usually give younguns a free ride, especially at the moment, but those pics tell a story of entitled little sh1ts tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Reading festival aftermath - on 06:52 - Sep 1 with 1454 viewstivo

Reading festival aftermath - on 22:10 - Aug 31 by dominiciawful

Isn't it full of trashy, cringey 16-year-olds who think they're hard/dress like skanks and are done up on ketamine?... Or something like that.

Used to be the opposite when I was going (10-15 years ago) - it was a rock festival so had all the Greebo and Indie Kids.

What you're describing was at V (chelmsford) and places. Looking at the lineup for this year it's certainly moved to a much more mixed festival.

TBF at least it's not on fire like it was every night when I used to go. T'was mayhem. But each year was a great experience. Oh to be young again.
Reading festival aftermath - on 07:31 - Sep 1 with 1346 viewsMattinLondon

Reading festival aftermath - on 22:10 - Aug 31 by dominiciawful

Think you’re getting confusing it with South Essex.
Reading festival aftermath - on 08:07 - Sep 1 with 1276 viewsWeWereZombies

To think that I used the doss bag (a person sized jiffy bag) that I bought for around 40p at Weeley Festival in 1971 a second time at Bardney the next year and probably at Reading later in 1972 before it finally gave up the ghost and became thin cardboard filled with polystyrene beads. Even then I must have taken it home and stored it in the loft in the hope that I could somehow have brought it back to life. We didn't even entertain the thought of taking a tent to a festival, you got in the arena and claimed your space - which you held onto for three days against all comers and if it rained then you got out a sheet of plastic and held it over you.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Reading festival aftermath - on 09:07 - Sep 1 with 1156 viewsGeoffSentence

Reading festival aftermath - on 21:33 - Aug 31 by Guthrum

Loads of nice food stalls at Glasto (if you avoided the ubiquitous overpriced cheese crepes). Tho, being crew, we had a canteen.

I did litter picking at Glasto a couple of times. We had a canteen, it was all vegan and frankly it was pretty tasteless, lots and lots of beans.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Reading festival aftermath - on 09:18 - Sep 1 with 1123 viewsBellevueblue

a lot of my mates used to leave their tents because they only cost £10 and were so shoddy they were only fit for one use. Make tents decent quality and £50+ and you'd hope the waste would be reduced.
Reading festival aftermath - on 09:20 - Sep 1 with 1118 viewsWallingford_Boy

Machines come in and just hoover it all up, no biggy.

The area around the site was ok, everyone disposed of rubbish in bins.

RIP Sir Bobby

Reading festival aftermath - on 09:46 - Sep 1 with 1069 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Reading festival aftermath - on 09:20 - Sep 1 by Wallingford_Boy

Machines come in and just hoover it all up, no biggy.

The area around the site was ok, everyone disposed of rubbish in bins.

What happens to it once its been hoovered up?

Dumped in landfill? No biggy
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 9:59]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Reading festival aftermath - on 09:55 - Sep 1 with 1038 viewsWeWereZombies

Reading festival aftermath - on 09:46 - Sep 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

What happens to it once its been hoovered up?

Dumped in landfill? No biggy
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 9:59]

It would be interesting to hear Jenny and Calum's view on this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58400061

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024