Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst signing increases in value? 16:20 - Sep 15 with 2341 viewsmonty_radio

I think that, if Jackson's transfer happens, a view on Hurst's bigger signings might be worth a collective revisit. Harrison: £250k loss; Jackson £900k gain; Toto - suddenly a viable inclusion; Nolan - apparently indispensable (not everyone's view, I know)' Donacien - perfectly acceptable right back if in indisputedly shaded by KJY (If..... ). That they were all bunged in together, and, just as quickly rejected, didn't help; nor, by repute, the regime. But they don't now seem quite the misguided splurge that they were often painted as being.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:28 - Sep 15 with 2284 viewsBlueBadger

What we might recoup in transfer fees will be nothing compared to the losses sustained by them being a key factor in us getting relegated.

Plus, they're playing a league lower than the one they were signed to play in and most of them, at best, look merely competent.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:32 - Sep 15 with 2266 viewsHerbivore

They'd have been good signings in League 1. One or two of them might even have been passable Championship signings taken in isolation. The combined business he did was bloody awful though.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 16:39]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:32 - Sep 15 with 2267 viewsjayessess

Context is everything though, isn't it?
Once we'd shoved our best centre back and all three senior strikers out the door, we weren't really in a position to develop one very raw striker into a potential Championship player over 2 seasons.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:36 - Sep 15 with 2234 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Most important thing for me is, were they better than the players they replaced?
Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:56 - Sep 15 with 2138 viewsBlueBadger

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:32 - Sep 15 by jayessess

Context is everything though, isn't it?
Once we'd shoved our best centre back and all three senior strikers out the door, we weren't really in a position to develop one very raw striker into a potential Championship player over 2 seasons.

But they HAVE enabled us to see all these new grounds!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:58 - Sep 15 with 2158 viewsPhilTWTD

There's very little chance a £2.5 million bid has been made for Jackson. Bournemouth's was just over a million.
Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:11 - Sep 15 with 2079 viewsjayessess

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:58 - Sep 15 by PhilTWTD

There's very little chance a £2.5 million bid has been made for Jackson. Bournemouth's was just over a million.

Wouldn't be that out of order, would it? Clarke-Harris went for £1.25m to a League One club with only 12 months on his contract.

We've got 2 more windows before it's urgent to get some value from him and two Championship clubs who've just had £20m+ cheques plonk into their bank accounts are interested. Add to that our limited prospects for doing anything useful with the money and you'd think clubs would know we're not really worth low-balling?

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:18 - Sep 15 with 2038 viewsHerbivore

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:58 - Sep 15 by PhilTWTD

Thanks for pissing on our bonfire, Phil.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:22 - Sep 15 with 2026 viewsPhilTWTD

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:11 - Sep 15 by jayessess

Wouldn't be that out of order, would it? Clarke-Harris went for £1.25m to a League One club with only 12 months on his contract.

We've got 2 more windows before it's urgent to get some value from him and two Championship clubs who've just had £20m+ cheques plonk into their bank accounts are interested. Add to that our limited prospects for doing anything useful with the money and you'd think clubs would know we're not really worth low-balling?

I suspect we'd want something approaching a couple of million for him, a profit on the fee we paid plus a bit more on appearances etc. I would guess if anyone had offered £2.5m the deal would have been done. As I say, the reported £2m offer from Bournemouth, from the same source, turned out to be just over a million.
Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:27 - Sep 15 with 1996 viewsjayessess

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:22 - Sep 15 by PhilTWTD

I suspect we'd want something approaching a couple of million for him, a profit on the fee we paid plus a bit more on appearances etc. I would guess if anyone had offered £2.5m the deal would have been done. As I say, the reported £2m offer from Bournemouth, from the same source, turned out to be just over a million.

Is that because the club don't rate him or because we need the money? Because even at £2.5m I don't see that it makes me sense for us right now...

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:34 - Sep 15 with 1960 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:32 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

They'd have been good signings in League 1. One or two of them might even have been passable Championship signings taken in isolation. The combined business he did was bloody awful though.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 16:39]

They were pretty much L1 signings weren't they?

Nolan - only 2 seasons in L1, the rest in conference
Toto - same as Nolan
Donacien - whole career in L2 before joining us (Villa days with 0 appearances don't count)
Jackson - L2 and conference
Harrison - L1 and L2

Basically, we gambled on these players stepping up at least a division and paid over the odds in the process. Only Jackson showed glimmers of being up to the Championship and then only because of his worth ethic rather than his quality in front of goal.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:47 - Sep 15 with 1938 viewsPhilTWTD

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:27 - Sep 15 by jayessess

Is that because the club don't rate him or because we need the money? Because even at £2.5m I don't see that it makes me sense for us right now...

I can see arguments for and against. Obviously he scored a few goals last season and there isn't too much hurry to sell him contract-wise. The salary cap also makes it difficult to bring in another player, although having said that we need to reduce the size of the overall squad even if there are areas where we need to increase numbers.

But I don't really see that he can play the system we employ at the moment with PL having ruled out playing him wide in the front three. I don't think he fits the central role and Norwood, Hawkins and Drinan all more suited.

From ME's perspective, while he has told players he has no intention of selling them, clearly the club is costing him a lot of money at the moment with very little coming in so if a decent enough offer - and I think something towards £2m is a decent offer for KJ - then I think he'd be tempted to take it.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Hurst signing increases in value? on 18:08 - Sep 15 with 1881 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hurst signing increases in value? on 17:22 - Sep 15 by PhilTWTD

If Evans wants £2m for Jackson, it's as clear a sign as any that he doesn't have a clue, we very clearly overpaid at £1.6m.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hurst signing increases in value? on 18:22 - Sep 15 with 1824 viewsmonty_radio

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:36 - Sep 15 by BudapestByBlimp

Most important thing for me is, were they better than the players they replaced?

Certainly not at the time, which was when we needed them to be firing. And I haven't said our judgement back then was wrong. But much judgement at the time saw nothing good in any of them. It's not so unusual, even in the Prem, for poor managers to be able to get a tune out of decent players. Yes, they were from L1 and we needed instant Champ players. But neither Hurst nor Lambert has raised the bar of any of those players talent. Nolan was a player of the season, and he and Toto finished third in a league in which we've just finished 11th.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Hurst signing increases in value? on 19:32 - Sep 15 with 1714 viewsBlueBadger

Hurst signing increases in value? on 18:08 - Sep 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

If Evans wants £2m for Jackson, it's as clear a sign as any that he doesn't have a clue, we very clearly overpaid at £1.6m.

If it helps, he's been far and away the best performer of Hurst's signings.

Hurst signing increases in value? on 19:33 - Sep 15 with 1712 viewsPhilTWTD

Hurst signing increases in value? on 18:08 - Sep 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

If Championship clubs think he's good enough for that division then they should pay a fee which reflects that.
Hurst signing increases in value? on 20:10 - Sep 15 with 1625 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:28 - Sep 15 by BlueBadger

What we might recoup in transfer fees will be nothing compared to the losses sustained by them being a key factor in us getting relegated.

Plus, they're playing a league lower than the one they were signed to play in and most of them, at best, look merely competent.

This sums it up pretty well.

Also the undervaluation on some of the sales isn't included such as Webster.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Hurst signing increases in value? on 20:13 - Sep 15 with 1614 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Also this Donacian a perfectly acceptable right back was not the case for the division we were in. He wasn't even really a right back. He's a bit of a utility man and at £750k a really poor signing.

Edwards was a reasonable signing at the price.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Hurst signing increases in value? on 20:36 - Sep 15 with 1541 viewsCURRYPECKAH

When are we all going to appreciate that our Championship let alone Premiership footballing days are over? We'll be playing non league stuff in a couple of years. Lets follow Whitton or FXT?
Hurst signing increases in value? on 20:37 - Sep 15 with 1540 viewsTieDyedIn95

But they are for a Championship club thats just sold all its good players, which is what we did and we sank like a lead weight with absolutely no fight with them in the team.... and the following season the largely same crop of players folded pretty quickly in the third division.

Many lauded that as our best transfer window ever at the time....

You get what you deserve in football.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Hurst signing increases in value? on 23:17 - Sep 15 with 1374 viewsBlueBadger

Hurst signing increases in value? on 20:37 - Sep 15 by TieDyedIn95

But they are for a Championship club thats just sold all its good players, which is what we did and we sank like a lead weight with absolutely no fight with them in the team.... and the following season the largely same crop of players folded pretty quickly in the third division.

Many lauded that as our best transfer window ever at the time....

You get what you deserve in football.

It was clearly our best window ever because Performances ultimately Improved and we got to see a lot of new grounds.

Hurst signing increases in value? on 08:31 - Sep 16 with 1194 viewsJon_456

Hurst signing increases in value? on 20:36 - Sep 15 by CURRYPECKAH

When are we all going to appreciate that our Championship let alone Premiership footballing days are over? We'll be playing non league stuff in a couple of years. Lets follow Whitton or FXT?

So because we're now sh*t, we should go and follow teams that are more sh*t?
Hurst signing increases in value? on 16:19 - Sep 16 with 1001 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Had we signed say Nolan and Jackson that might have been ok.

Donacian is viable in L1 (just) but not a patch on KVY

Jackson may yet develop but if we get a profit on him that just shows the gullibility of other clubs.

Nolan I think is ok.

Toto is still to convince for me and is not in my 1st 11.

Lets not forget the chap we sent out to the Gills whos name I've already forgotten (TBF he came as a free and left as a free)

Chucking them all in was one mistake. Upsetting the entire dressing room was a bigger one

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024