Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally 18:34 - Mar 27 with 3605 viewsStokieBlue

According to a new Imperial study, if nothing at all was done about C-19 it would have resulted in 40,000,000 deaths globally this year:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196496/coronavirus-pandemic-could-have-caused-40

Given this do we now think it's time for some to stop pushing the following:

- It's no worse than the flu
- Lots of people die anyway, is this really worse than normal deaths
- The government are using this mild disease to take away civil liberties
- The mortality rate is low so it's not that bad

I am sure there are others than I've missed but it's been pretty awful from some on here lately.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 18:41 - Mar 27 with 3121 viewshomer_123

Moreover....many countries are simply not going to be able to enforce the measures needed to manage it.

See India.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 19:17]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 19:36 - Mar 27 with 3011 viewsbluelagos

The bit that scares the sh1t out of me is the developing world cities like say Lagos or Dehli. Populations are on top of each other and no one is going to provide financial assistance to encourage Lagosians to stop home.

Plus many will be more vulnerable to the virus given poverty and the associated poor nutrition. Pray they can sort an affordable vaccine before it's too late.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Hear hear... on 19:42 - Mar 27 with 3003 viewsunstableblue

... I have some mates who are really pushing this 'its only flu' and has been 'downgraded' anyway angle

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 19:53 - Mar 27 with 2957 viewsallezlesbleus

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 19:36 - Mar 27 by bluelagos

The bit that scares the sh1t out of me is the developing world cities like say Lagos or Dehli. Populations are on top of each other and no one is going to provide financial assistance to encourage Lagosians to stop home.

Plus many will be more vulnerable to the virus given poverty and the associated poor nutrition. Pray they can sort an affordable vaccine before it's too late.

I was thinking similar things about some of the townships I know quite well in South Africa (Khayelitsha and Gugulethu in the Cape and Botshabelo in the Free State) - they are so dangerously overcrowded, with very little sanitation. If Covid-19 has spread so rapidly in the "civilised" countries, the potential for the spread of infections in the townships is absolutely terrifying. Several people live together in the same shack, often 3 generations. The shacks are literally built right next to each other.....no gardens or courtyard to have a bit of space. There is no way the inhabitants would be able to self isolate as the vast majority of us can in Europe.
New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:00 - Mar 27 with 2923 viewssparks

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 19:53 - Mar 27 by allezlesbleus

I was thinking similar things about some of the townships I know quite well in South Africa (Khayelitsha and Gugulethu in the Cape and Botshabelo in the Free State) - they are so dangerously overcrowded, with very little sanitation. If Covid-19 has spread so rapidly in the "civilised" countries, the potential for the spread of infections in the townships is absolutely terrifying. Several people live together in the same shack, often 3 generations. The shacks are literally built right next to each other.....no gardens or courtyard to have a bit of space. There is no way the inhabitants would be able to self isolate as the vast majority of us can in Europe.

Indeed. It is likely to be carnage.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:26 - Mar 27 with 2858 viewscatch74

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/a-letter-to-the-uk-from-italy-this

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:50 - Mar 27 with 2828 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So, is this stuff that people actually said or just what you inferred from your pre established assumptions? Just as well you aren't a scientist Stokie!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:54 - Mar 27 with 2816 viewsStokieBlue

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:50 - Mar 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

So, is this stuff that people actually said or just what you inferred from your pre established assumptions? Just as well you aren't a scientist Stokie!

You'll look back at your behaviour over this and wonder what on earth you were doing.

It's not worth discussing this subject with you anymore because you don't post coherently, consistently or honestly.

SB
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 20:54]

Login to get fewer ads

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:59 - Mar 27 with 2779 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:54 - Mar 27 by StokieBlue

You'll look back at your behaviour over this and wonder what on earth you were doing.

It's not worth discussing this subject with you anymore because you don't post coherently, consistently or honestly.

SB
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 20:54]

There is my behaviour, and your interpretation of it, two entirely different things.

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:00 - Mar 27 with 2765 viewsm14_blue

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:50 - Mar 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

Always been a fan of yours BDS but I think you really should consider winding your neck in on this.

It’s not a good look.

People on here, if they haven’t already, are going to be horribly and tragically impacted by this and I’m not at all sure what point you’re trying to make.
New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:01 - Mar 27 with 2764 viewsStokieBlue

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:59 - Mar 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

There is my behaviour, and your interpretation of it, two entirely different things.

It's not just my interpretation though is it. A long list of posters have called you out over it over the last month. That would tend to indicate that the interpretation isn't that inaccurate.

Or that you don't understand your own behaviour.

I'll let you decide.

SB

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:17 - Mar 27 with 2702 viewsNthsuffolkblue

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 20:59 - Mar 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

However you look at it, this virus has already killed a significant number of people WITH the lockdowns in multiple countries.

Without the lockdowns, it is a no-brainer that MANY more people would be infected. Many more would need non-existent medical facilities. Without those, the death rate would be higher.

Combine a higher death rate with many more infected and we have many times the numbers already dying dead.

We have not hit peak in many countries. Figures are still rising exponentially in Italy.

There is no reasonable way people can stand by the downplaying that you and a few others have been promoting. It is on a par with the conspiracy theorists who are claiming the whole thing does not exist. It might make a few people feel clever but it is vary far from it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:46 - Mar 27 with 2619 viewshomer_123

I maybe missing something BDS...but I want to ask, what are you trying to achieve here?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:57 - Mar 27 with 2580 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:17 - Mar 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

However you look at it, this virus has already killed a significant number of people WITH the lockdowns in multiple countries.

Without the lockdowns, it is a no-brainer that MANY more people would be infected. Many more would need non-existent medical facilities. Without those, the death rate would be higher.

Combine a higher death rate with many more infected and we have many times the numbers already dying dead.

We have not hit peak in many countries. Figures are still rising exponentially in Italy.

There is no reasonable way people can stand by the downplaying that you and a few others have been promoting. It is on a par with the conspiracy theorists who are claiming the whole thing does not exist. It might make a few people feel clever but it is vary far from it.

If only I had down played it.

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 22:01 - Mar 27 with 2564 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:00 - Mar 27 by m14_blue

Always been a fan of yours BDS but I think you really should consider winding your neck in on this.

It’s not a good look.

People on here, if they haven’t already, are going to be horribly and tragically impacted by this and I’m not at all sure what point you’re trying to make.

So, again point me to where I said the threat is not real!
I certainly remember stating that America is likely royally screwed but maybe you and others missed it.

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 22:02 - Mar 27 with 2559 viewssparks

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:57 - Mar 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

If only I had down played it.

Are you for fecking real?

Just stop.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 22:25 - Mar 27 with 2503 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 22:02 - Mar 27 by sparks

Are you for fecking real?

Just stop.

Sorry Sparks what I meant to say was Boris and co have been all over this since December, the military will definitely not be involved, the press were right to focus on cruise ship sensationalism and the pope has a cold bullsh1t rather than preparing us for reality and focusing on deaths, deaths, deaths rather than deaths above the mean or preferably critical care numbers is definitely the way to go....and obviously I couldn't give a flying f@ck about my mates Dad.
Oh and I definitely didn't post this on March 21st with no comments..

...and I am definitely not currently shopping for and picking up prescriptions for 5 people nor arranging a wholesale food delivery to our village...I will manage to live with some faux outrage on a football forum!
Make the most of having somewhere to distract your fear....night, night!

Edit..ps...an interesting item on sky news currently on deaths above the mean on current predictions...but what would I know.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 22:43]

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 03:01 - Mar 28 with 2331 viewsBlueBadger

Do you lot have a 'smug conspiracist troll on TWTD' rota or something? I'm guessing it's Squiddy's night off tonight.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 03:14 - Mar 28 with 2318 viewsBlueBadger

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 21:46 - Mar 27 by homer_123

I maybe missing something BDS...but I want to ask, what are you trying to achieve here?

At a guess, this:

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 07:53 - Mar 28 with 2140 viewsNo9

Meanwhile, elsewhere:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/nonchalant-boris-johnson-accused-o

Then there is Trump & his attitude?
New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 08:44 - Mar 28 with 2071 viewsStokieBlue

An example today from Iran on why fake news and false claims need to be called out:

"Iranian doctors say ‘hundreds’ have died after ingesting toxic methanol. An Iranian doctor said hundreds have died and thousands have been sickened from ingesting toxic methanol across the Islamic Republic out of the false belief it kills the new coronavirus."

SB

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 08:48 - Mar 28 with 2056 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 03:14 - Mar 28 by BlueBadger

At a guess, this:

Whatever gets you through....nothing to say on my closing comment last night I see....maybe you can point me to all the comments of mine dismissing the impact of this event.

Ps...same to Glasgow stalky Blue....happy to help you get through the trauma...still not found your long trousers!
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 8:50]

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 09:04 - Mar 28 with 2011 viewsStokieBlue

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 08:48 - Mar 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Whatever gets you through....nothing to say on my closing comment last night I see....maybe you can point me to all the comments of mine dismissing the impact of this event.

Ps...same to Glasgow stalky Blue....happy to help you get through the trauma...still not found your long trousers!
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 8:50]

I already did a few days ago, you twisted the meaning of all of them. You post things laced in meaning in a single sentence then when enough people call you out you say that wasn't what your post meant and attempt to change the meaning.

It's either you or everyone else on the board is who wrong. Once again something for you to ponder. If it's not your intention to play it down then you need to take a serious look at your posting style and perhaps amend it to be far, far clearer than it current is and then you'll not have any issues as your meaning will be clear.

The post of deaths in a normal year is a prime example of the above.

You keep saying it's a few people with agendas against you but I've read a number of posts from posters saying they like you and are a fan but you are acting awfully lately. Are they wrong as well? There are at least two in this thread alone!

SB

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 09:18 - Mar 28 with 1985 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's been my interpretation too, sadly, and you and I normally see eye-to-eye politically.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

New Imperial study on the scale of C-19 globally on 09:31 - Mar 28 with 1950 viewsNewcyBlue

I wonder if we can keep the arguing to just the one thread. SB’s military one or this please.

As for the OP. That’s a massive number. You have to wonder what this shut down is doing to the world. I can’t help but think it’s been needed.

Sweden are still taking a fairly relaxed approach to it all. Do they just have a healthier population? A better equipped, higher capacity health care system?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024