Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers and Skuse 08:08 - Jan 3 with 4470 viewsitfcjoe

Why are they always seen as inseperable pair when talking about their futures here?

Chambers is contracted until the end of NEXT season and as things stand is one of the first names on the team sheet, at worst our second best CB in the squad and an automatic starter.

Skuse is contracted until the end of this season, and was in the team for all of our best run of the season. He has more competition in central midfield but realistically if we are playing 3 in the middle would be in the team 90% of the time when fit.

These guys aren't going anywhere, they have been great servants and very good players for the club - every manager (4 for Chambers, 3 for Skuse) has started them week in, week out when fit for years and years.

I know some still see them as Mick's men, but they are two individuals that are in the team on merit. When one of them has a bad game it doesn't man they are finished.

It is up to other players in the squad to play them out of the team by being better than them, that isn't happening as yet.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chambers and Skuse on 08:30 - Jan 3 with 2924 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I find it rather odd that so many people seem keen to highlight them as constants in the side for the past few years, and therefore responsible for our decline

As opposed to being players that were in the side when we were relatively good under McCarthy, and therefore suggesting that it might be the players now around them that are the problem...

That said, I do think there’s a good argument that we should consider phasing Skuse out of the side, given the younger options coming through
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 8:31]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chambers and Skuse on 08:39 - Jan 3 with 2894 viewsHerbivore

It's generally the same people who try to make out that actually things are so much better now that we're slogging away in the third division than they were under Mick. These people will usually point to a goal we scored once as evidence that we're now a much better side, whilst claiming that Mick was the one who really took us down despite getting us to finish between Norwich and Sheffield United the season he left. I tend to think these people can be safely ignored.

That said, Chambers hasn't been good lately but he's still better than Wilson and Nsiala. Skuse, much like last season, hasn't looked the same since injury after a great start to the season. Given the talent we have at CM there's a case for beginning to phase him out, though we saw at Lincoln that you can't just throw two talented kids in there and hope for the best. Huws' physicality and experience was a massive asset in Skuse's absence at Wycombe.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Chambers and Skuse on 08:42 - Jan 3 with 2894 viewschicoazul

Chambers and Skuse on 08:30 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I find it rather odd that so many people seem keen to highlight them as constants in the side for the past few years, and therefore responsible for our decline

As opposed to being players that were in the side when we were relatively good under McCarthy, and therefore suggesting that it might be the players now around them that are the problem...

That said, I do think there’s a good argument that we should consider phasing Skuse out of the side, given the younger options coming through
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 8:31]

Well to be fair, they *are* constants in a team that has horribly declined. Both are creaking now with injuries and neither are the players they were. That's not to say they arent great blokes of course, and both have been very good players for us & good investments - and both were free!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Chambers and Skuse on 08:44 - Jan 3 with 2871 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chambers and Skuse on 08:42 - Jan 3 by chicoazul

Well to be fair, they *are* constants in a team that has horribly declined. Both are creaking now with injuries and neither are the players they were. That's not to say they arent great blokes of course, and both have been very good players for us & good investments - and both were free!

In reality though, our recent decline* really only started last season, so by that logic so are Myles Kenlock, Flynn Downes, Kayden Jackson, Gwion Edwards, I could go on...

*i mean really our decline started when we got relegated from the Premier League 20-odd years ago, but that’s another story
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 8:47]

Chambers and Skuse on 08:56 - Jan 3 with 2820 viewschicoazul

Chambers and Skuse on 08:44 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

In reality though, our recent decline* really only started last season, so by that logic so are Myles Kenlock, Flynn Downes, Kayden Jackson, Gwion Edwards, I could go on...

*i mean really our decline started when we got relegated from the Premier League 20-odd years ago, but that’s another story

Our recent high point has to be the play-off season and by all metrics since then we have gone backwards, although crowds are on the up now (as Lambo constantly reminds us).
S&C have been key members of the squad in that time. I'm just saying.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Chambers and Skuse on 08:56 - Jan 3 with 2824 viewsartsbossbeard

Spot on Joe.

I'd also add that these 2 got the team through the mistake that was PH and provided much needed support/analysis where it was deemed unnecessary.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Chambers and Skuse on 09:16 - Jan 3 with 2766 viewsBluefish

I found it amusing after Lincoln when people were moaning about Chambers and Skuse. I wasnt sure if half the posters on here didnt know that Skuse didnt play or whether they just cant separate them as a pair of Micks men. Huws is also going to face that label apparently but probably not as much

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Chambers and Skuse on 09:28 - Jan 3 with 2694 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chambers and Skuse on 08:56 - Jan 3 by chicoazul

Our recent high point has to be the play-off season and by all metrics since then we have gone backwards, although crowds are on the up now (as Lambo constantly reminds us).
S&C have been key members of the squad in that time. I'm just saying.

By that measure we’ve also declined since 2001, or 1982, or 1962

Prior to last season we’d had 4 top half finishes in the Championship in 5 seasons with Skuse and Chambers regulars in the side. We’d also improved our league position from 16th to 12th in the prior season

Since then we’ve finished bottom of the Championship and now sit 5th in the third division without a win in 13 games. Pretty much the entire side around those 2 has changed in that year and a half period

I’d therefore suggest they’re probably not the problem

Login to get fewer ads

Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 09:48 - Jan 3 with 2645 viewsBloots

….of their careers.

This should probably the last season where either one is considered to be certain starters or even "regulars".

The issue that they are both seen as "Mick's men" is indeed a problem for many supporters, who seem to think that being part of our best team of the last 10 years is a reason to blame them both for our current malaise.

Whilst our defence hasn't exactly been "rock solid" for the last month, most sensible supporters agree that our (not so) recent issues have not been defensive, but in the creation and conversion of chances.

To blame two of our most defensively minded players is frankly ludicrous.

Is Skuse misplacing a pass in midfield, or Chambo being outpaced by a forward any worse than Norwood totally missing a header from 6 yards, Jackson miss controlling a ball into his feet, or Edwards hitting the first man from a cross?

Both Skuse and Chambers are wrongly being seen by some as the reason we are struggling to walk the 3rd Division, whereas in reality they are the reason we weren't in the 3rd Division a few years earlier.

A lot of our fans are divs.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Chambers and Skuse on 09:52 - Jan 3 with 2619 viewsbraveblue

Chambers and Skuse on 08:44 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes. Let’s blame Downes and keep Skuse in the team!!!!!
Exactly on 09:58 - Jan 3 with 2598 viewsDyland

Chambers and Skuse on 09:28 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

By that measure we’ve also declined since 2001, or 1982, or 1962

Prior to last season we’d had 4 top half finishes in the Championship in 5 seasons with Skuse and Chambers regulars in the side. We’d also improved our league position from 16th to 12th in the prior season

Since then we’ve finished bottom of the Championship and now sit 5th in the third division without a win in 13 games. Pretty much the entire side around those 2 has changed in that year and a half period

I’d therefore suggest they’re probably not the problem

The recent personnel problems are pretty basic to understand on one level. Replacing Webster, Waghorn, Didz and Garner e.g. with players not half as good.

If Liverpool replaced Salah, Mane and Firminhno with Harrison, Jackson and Roberts e.g., would everyone start slagging off Henderson and Van Dijk if they started creating/scoring less?

People banging on about Skuse and Chambers being the problem are so swivel eyed it's unreal. And as others have commented, that is not to say they are now certainly past their best.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh dear (n/t) on 09:58 - Jan 3 with 2584 viewsDyland

Chambers and Skuse on 09:52 - Jan 3 by braveblue

Chambers and Skuse on 10:00 - Jan 3 with 2575 viewsSuperblue95

I think you may have missed the point entirely...

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Chambers and Skuse on 10:08 - Jan 3 with 2552 viewsKeaneish

Would you start Skuse if we played a 532 though with Downes, Huws and Judge making the midfield trio? As much as his experience is invaluable right now, I’m not sure I would start him despite the great stats he’s provided when playing this season. Some games, yes but is he guaranteed? I like that trio balance.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Chambers and Skuse on 10:15 - Jan 3 with 2521 viewsitfcjoe

Chambers and Skuse on 10:08 - Jan 3 by Keaneish

Would you start Skuse if we played a 532 though with Downes, Huws and Judge making the midfield trio? As much as his experience is invaluable right now, I’m not sure I would start him despite the great stats he’s provided when playing this season. Some games, yes but is he guaranteed? I like that trio balance.

Personally I wouldn't, but I think Lambert would as would a large chunk of fans naming their best team

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chambers and Skuse on 10:22 - Jan 3 with 2490 viewshomer_123

I'd rather Drop Judge for Bishop.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Chambers and Skuse on 10:25 - Jan 3 with 2480 viewsSomethingBlue

Difficult one; I think we need to start easing him out, although I see the dangers of that. If Huws isn't given some sort of run his career here isn't really going to happen and Downes isn't really droppable at the moment. There are other players — Dozzell and Bishop, if fit — who we need to get a definitive impression of too and I haven't even mentioned Nolan. One answer to the midfield issues at the moment is really that someone, whoever it is, leaves and gives PL less choice, weird as that may sound.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Same here on 10:26 - Jan 3 with 2476 viewsDyland

Chambers and Skuse on 10:22 - Jan 3 by homer_123

I'd rather Drop Judge for Bishop.

Dozzell
Downes Bishop

In a 3-5-2. Bluetastic... on paper... :)

Same here on 10:42 - Jan 3 with 2437 viewshomer_123

Same here on 10:26 - Jan 3 by Dyland

Dozzell
Downes Bishop

Future is bright, the future is Blue!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Same here on 10:46 - Jan 3 with 2413 viewsHerbivore

Same here on 10:26 - Jan 3 by Dyland

Dozzell
Downes Bishop

Great on paper but I fear it's too lightweight for this level at the moment. Need Huws or Skuse in a midfield three for their experience and greater physical presence. Personally I'd drop Judge and be rotating Bishop and Dozzell alongside Downes and Skuse/Huws.

I don't totally disagree on 10:56 - Jan 3 with 2373 viewsDyland

Same here on 10:46 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

Great on paper but I fear it's too lightweight for this level at the moment. Need Huws or Skuse in a midfield three for their experience and greater physical presence. Personally I'd drop Judge and be rotating Bishop and Dozzell alongside Downes and Skuse/Huws.

Dozzers does however ideally need to play the deeper role. It's a bit of a conundrum and I wonder if Lambert will work it out and/or stumble upon the formula by chance.

I don't totally disagree on 10:59 - Jan 3 with 2364 viewsHerbivore

I don't totally disagree on 10:56 - Jan 3 by Dyland

Dozzers does however ideally need to play the deeper role. It's a bit of a conundrum and I wonder if Lambert will work it out and/or stumble upon the formula by chance.

I think that's why I'd swap Dozzer and Bishop depending on the game. Bishop for if we need someone breaking through the lines on the ball, Dozzer when we would benefit from dictating possession and playing from deep. Much as Dozzer prefers to sit, he does very little defensive work. Ultimately he will need to improve that area of his game to fulfil his potential.

Chambers and Skuse on 11:00 - Jan 3 with 2355 viewsBlueBadger

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. For someone who's username is 'Brave' you aren't half a flappy great fanny.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Chambers and Skuse on 11:01 - Jan 3 with 2349 viewsBlueBadger

Chambers and Skuse on 08:42 - Jan 3 by chicoazul

You're missing the most important thing in all this. Mick bought one of them and played both of them a lot.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Chambers and Skuse on 11:06 - Jan 3 with 2325 viewsFenboyBlue

Just checked the League 1 table, we have the tightest (equal) defence in the league. I think Chambers and Skuse are due some credit for being part of that. But given Evans has shown signs of a 5 year plan emerging, he needs to be thinking about experienced players to take over from these guys in the long run.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024