Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers and Skuse 08:08 - Jan 3 with 4474 viewsitfcjoe

Why are they always seen as inseperable pair when talking about their futures here?

Chambers is contracted until the end of NEXT season and as things stand is one of the first names on the team sheet, at worst our second best CB in the squad and an automatic starter.

Skuse is contracted until the end of this season, and was in the team for all of our best run of the season. He has more competition in central midfield but realistically if we are playing 3 in the middle would be in the team 90% of the time when fit.

These guys aren't going anywhere, they have been great servants and very good players for the club - every manager (4 for Chambers, 3 for Skuse) has started them week in, week out when fit for years and years.

I know some still see them as Mick's men, but they are two individuals that are in the team on merit. When one of them has a bad game it doesn't man they are finished.

It is up to other players in the squad to play them out of the team by being better than them, that isn't happening as yet.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chambers and Skuse on 11:07 - Jan 3 with 1469 viewsKeaneish

Chambers and Skuse on 10:22 - Jan 3 by homer_123

I'd rather Drop Judge for Bishop.

Too early for that at the moment imo. Judge is slowly but surely looking more threatening. I'd give him until after Rotherham and then maybe think of a switch.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] Ă‚ÂŁ2.65 Million and Waiting?

Chambers and Skuse on 13:10 - Jan 3 with 1431 viewsBseaBlue

Your point about playing Skuse out of the team is spot on. People talk about central midfield as our area of expertise, but actually if you break it down, I dont feel it is as strong as is made out:

Nolan - Inconsistent and goes missing in games
Dozzell - Shows promise but seems to think he can approach games in the same manner as academy matches
Bishop - Exciting prospect but less than 25 games in 5 years speaks for itself
Huws - Inconsistent but perhaps will return to form with more match fitness.
Judge - Had his best game for us against Wycombe but otherwise unimpressive.
Downes - On a different level to the rest of them!

When you consider the performances of the above, its hardly suprising Skuse hasn't been dislodged. He needs to be carefully managed to ensure we keep him fresh but that means some of the others need to step up when he isnt in the side and that isnt happening currently.
I don't totally disagree on 15:00 - Jan 3 with 1394 viewsGarv

I don't totally disagree on 10:59 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

I think that's why I'd swap Dozzer and Bishop depending on the game. Bishop for if we need someone breaking through the lines on the ball, Dozzer when we would benefit from dictating possession and playing from deep. Much as Dozzer prefers to sit, he does very little defensive work. Ultimately he will need to improve that area of his game to fulfil his potential.

Ideally we need someone to break lines in every game. Despite how good our midfield is on paper no one bar Bishop can carry the ball with any threat and our wingers are painfully limited too.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I don't totally disagree on 15:25 - Jan 3 with 1379 viewsBseaBlue

I don't totally disagree on 15:00 - Jan 3 by Garv

Ideally we need someone to break lines in every game. Despite how good our midfield is on paper no one bar Bishop can carry the ball with any threat and our wingers are painfully limited too.

I was thinking the other day.....when was the last time we had exciting wingers? Hunt, Tabb etc under MM served a purpose with our style of play but other than that we have been pretty poor in recent times for finding good wide men. Ryan Fraser is probably the last one I can think of and he was only on loan.
Chambers and Skuse on 15:51 - Jan 3 with 1370 viewsScottCandage

Skuse adds to the "Catch 22" of player development.

You have to be better than the player you replace to get playing time. But to get better, you need playing time, which you don't get because the player you want to replace is better than you. Continue until you sell the younger player to a team who will actually play the younger player.

Any word on Nydam's recovery?
Chambers and Skuse on 16:06 - Jan 3 with 1359 viewsHarryWright

A lot of people quoting seasons from 3-4 years ago on this thread without actually taking into account the fact that these players are now older, potentially lacking in confidence, out of form. I'd definitely still play Chambers but think we have better players than Skuse.

3 years ago Wayne Rooney was at Manchester United, that doesn't make him good enough for them now.
I don't totally disagree on 16:12 - Jan 3 with 1355 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't totally disagree on 15:00 - Jan 3 by Garv

Huws should be that man, but from what I have seen he is yet to start dominating since his return from injury.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I don't totally disagree on 16:13 - Jan 3 with 1349 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't totally disagree on 15:25 - Jan 3 by BseaBlue

I was thinking the other day.....when was the last time we had exciting wingers? Hunt, Tabb etc under MM served a purpose with our style of play but other than that we have been pretty poor in recent times for finding good wide men. Ryan Fraser is probably the last one I can think of and he was only on loan.

Tom Lawrence too, but also a loanee.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Chambers and Skuse on 16:25 - Jan 3 with 1327 viewsJ2BLUE

I know we can't give coaching jobs to every ex player who was half decent but letting either of them go would be a big mistake IMO.

Chambers will one day manage Town. Keep him in house while he does his badges. Chambers/Skuse management team would be interesting. Am I right in thinking that Skuse has said he would be #2 to Chambers in a future managerial appointment?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I don't totally disagree on 16:25 - Jan 3 with 1329 viewsHerbivore

I don't totally disagree on 16:12 - Jan 3 by GeoffSentence

Huws should be that man, but from what I have seen he is yet to start dominating since his return from injury.

Thought the Wycombe game was a step in the right direction. He was physically quite dominant in the middle of the park and used the ball simply but well. Nothing flash but a decent performance for him to build on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I don't totally disagree on 16:27 - Jan 3 with 1327 viewsRadlett_blue

I don't totally disagree on 15:25 - Jan 3 by BseaBlue

Tabb was never a winger, but a reasonable central midfield player. However, Mick didn't really like wingers so he often lined up in a wide position.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Chambers and Skuse on 16:39 - Jan 3 with 1315 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chambers and Skuse on 16:06 - Jan 3 by HarryWright

A lot of people quoting seasons from 3-4 years ago on this thread without actually taking into account the fact that these players are now older, potentially lacking in confidence, out of form. I'd definitely still play Chambers but think we have better players than Skuse.

3 years ago Wayne Rooney was at Manchester United, that doesn't make him good enough for them now.

Manchester United haven’t been relegated to the third division

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chambers and Skuse on 20:31 - Jan 3 with 1255 viewsbraveblue

Chambers and Skuse on 11:00 - Jan 3 by BlueBadger

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. For someone who's username is 'Brave' you aren't half a flappy great fanny.

Your intellect is surprising.
Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 08:52 - Jan 4 with 1181 viewsmoscow2000

Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 09:48 - Jan 3 by Bloots

….of their careers.

This should probably the last season where either one is considered to be certain starters or even "regulars".

The issue that they are both seen as "Mick's men" is indeed a problem for many supporters, who seem to think that being part of our best team of the last 10 years is a reason to blame them both for our current malaise.

Whilst our defence hasn't exactly been "rock solid" for the last month, most sensible supporters agree that our (not so) recent issues have not been defensive, but in the creation and conversion of chances.

To blame two of our most defensively minded players is frankly ludicrous.

Is Skuse misplacing a pass in midfield, or Chambo being outpaced by a forward any worse than Norwood totally missing a header from 6 yards, Jackson miss controlling a ball into his feet, or Edwards hitting the first man from a cross?

Both Skuse and Chambers are wrongly being seen by some as the reason we are struggling to walk the 3rd Division, whereas in reality they are the reason we weren't in the 3rd Division a few years earlier.

A lot of our fans are divs.

No
The reason we done well was the fact we had Daryl Murphy in the team
The year we reached the play offs, he was exceptional with the amount of goals he scored
David Mcgoldrick was also exceptional for two or three seasons
Our defence was so much better with Christophe Berra in the team and Chambers out of the middle playing right back
Souse is a good player who gets around the pitch well ( not so much now ) but doesn’t contribute anything in the scoring charts for the amount of games played for us
We need more midfielders who can run at defenders in the team now and someone with an eye for the clever pass
Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 08:53 - Jan 4 with 1174 viewsartsbossbeard

Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 08:52 - Jan 4 by moscow2000

No
The reason we done well was the fact we had Daryl Murphy in the team
The year we reached the play offs, he was exceptional with the amount of goals he scored
David Mcgoldrick was also exceptional for two or three seasons
Our defence was so much better with Christophe Berra in the team and Chambers out of the middle playing right back
Souse is a good player who gets around the pitch well ( not so much now ) but doesn’t contribute anything in the scoring charts for the amount of games played for us
We need more midfielders who can run at defenders in the team now and someone with an eye for the clever pass

"Our defence was so much better with Christophe Berra in the team and Chambers out of the middle playing right back"

This wasn't the mood of the fans at the time - the Chambers at right back thing.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 09:06 - Jan 4 with 1154 viewsHerbivore

Both are undoubtedly coming to the end..... on 08:53 - Jan 4 by artsbossbeard

"Our defence was so much better with Christophe Berra in the team and Chambers out of the middle playing right back"

This wasn't the mood of the fans at the time - the Chambers at right back thing.

Plus the season before Berra arrived the partnership of Smith and Chambers was outstanding. Part of the reason Mick shifted him to right back was because neither he nor Smith deserved to be dropped and he wanted to get Berra into the side.

I don't totally disagree on 23:06 - Jan 5 with 1079 viewsGarv

I don't totally disagree on 16:27 - Jan 3 by Radlett_blue

Tabb was never a winger, but a reasonable central midfield player. However, Mick didn't really like wingers so he often lined up in a wide position.

See Tunnicliffe, Paul Green, Richardson, even Bishop. All players used as wide men for some reason.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I don't totally disagree on 23:08 - Jan 5 with 1073 viewsHerbivore

I don't totally disagree on 23:06 - Jan 5 by Garv

See Tunnicliffe, Paul Green, Richardson, even Bishop. All players used as wide men for some reason.

The reason being our lack of genuine wide men.

Chambers and Skuse on 23:19 - Jan 5 with 1060 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Chambers and Skuse on 08:44 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

In reality though, our recent decline* really only started last season, so by that logic so are Myles Kenlock, Flynn Downes, Kayden Jackson, Gwion Edwards, I could go on...

*i mean really our decline started when we got relegated from the Premier League 20-odd years ago, but that’s another story
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 8:47]

It was us getting in the uefa cup on our fair play (lowest yellow cards) that screwed us that season.

Thursday Sunday games!

Enjoyable trips but .............. ...............
Chambers and Skuse on 23:22 - Jan 5 with 1052 viewsHerbivore

Chambers and Skuse on 23:19 - Jan 5 by BtreeBlueBlood

It was us getting in the uefa cup on our fair play (lowest yellow cards) that screwed us that season.

Thursday Sunday games!

Enjoyable trips but .............. ...............

The season we got relegated we were in the UEFA Cup for finishing 5th. It was the season after in the Championship where we were in it again because of the fair play league. We didn't stay in long that season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024