Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands 09:10 - Jan 3 with 1787 viewshatch

The sight of an Ipswich flag in front of the grass embankment reminded me we don't yet have a thread going for this test.

A fantastic place to watch cricket, perhaps hence the thousands of England fans out there (around 70% of the attendance apparently).

I was there for an SA v India T20I a couple of years ago and found myself sat next to Marcus Evans' PA by pure coincidence.

27-1 currently after 9 overs after youngster Crawley went early. A slightly more up and coming squad with Crawley and Bess in the mix. An important game not to lose.
SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:21 - Jan 3 with 1396 viewsStokieBlue

Ridiculous that Burns got injured playing football in the warm-up and is now out for the series.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:28 - Jan 3 with 1376 viewsReuser_is_God

Would love to watch England play at Newlands one day.

Seems a solid enough start from us, I really hope Sibley kicks on as feel he’s shown there is something to work with there.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:29 - Jan 3 with 1370 viewshampstead_blue

Should be a good test. SA and England are well balanced. I do however feel we have a better team but it's about how the individuals play.

Looking forward to see Sibley and Denly bat.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:32 - Jan 3 with 1366 viewsjimsymBLUE

Zac Crawley has only scored 3 F/C centuries in his career. Good luck opening against Philander and Rabada!!! The batting cupboard has never been as badly stocked.
Denly and Sibley fighting hard, batting on this pitch should get considerably easier if we can negotiate another 10/15 overs without too much damage.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:44 - Jan 3 with 1342 viewsjimsymBLUE

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:28 - Jan 3 by Reuser_is_God

Would love to watch England play at Newlands one day.

Seems a solid enough start from us, I really hope Sibley kicks on as feel he’s shown there is something to work with there.

I can't recommend it highly enough, my favourite ground in the world alongside Galle and the old Asgiriya in Kandy. Going to India with a few mates next year, really hoping Dharamshala up in the lap of the Himalayas is one of the venues.

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:45 - Jan 3 with 1344 viewsSteve_M

You've reminded me that it was exactly ten years ago that I was out there. It's a great place to watch Test Cricket, although sitting in the hot sun with only Castle lager to drink can be hard work.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 10:28 - Jan 3 with 1291 viewshatch

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 09:44 - Jan 3 by jimsymBLUE

I can't recommend it highly enough, my favourite ground in the world alongside Galle and the old Asgiriya in Kandy. Going to India with a few mates next year, really hoping Dharamshala up in the lap of the Himalayas is one of the venues.

I'm looking to go to India for the ODIs later this year - which matches are you looking at?
SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 10:36 - Jan 3 with 1277 viewsjimsymBLUE

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 10:28 - Jan 3 by hatch

I'm looking to go to India for the ODIs later this year - which matches are you looking at?

Hi hatch, we're looking at the Test matches in 2021, think its looking like 5 tests late January to early March. Obs. far too early to know any of the grounds or dates yet. We're going to do a month and take in as much as is feasible.

Login to get fewer ads

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 10:41 - Jan 3 with 1269 viewshatch

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 10:36 - Jan 3 by jimsymBLUE

Hi hatch, we're looking at the Test matches in 2021, think its looking like 5 tests late January to early March. Obs. far too early to know any of the grounds or dates yet. We're going to do a month and take in as much as is feasible.

Lovely. Would love to do a Test tour but I take my missus and I can only convince her to watch ODIs and T20s!

Hoping the India ODI venues will be released in the next couple of months.
SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 11:11 - Jan 3 with 1228 viewsIpswichKnight

Interesting bit from Vic Marks that i listened to, Sibley scores his runs in county cricket at a strike rate around 40, you can halve that for a test match, scoring runs at 20 isn't going to get you many runs as is being proved here, especially now the bowlers have worked out he is totally leg side dominant give him nothing on middle and leg and he will dry up.

Wife being half Jamaican is well up for a England test match in Jamaica, sadly seems the WI cricket prefer to hold England test matches in holiday island.
SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 11:55 - Jan 3 with 1187 viewsgainsboroughblue

Would love to see Denly get a ton for himself here. He's shown a lot of fight since being brought back.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:02 - Jan 3 with 1181 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think today is the first time I have heard Nortje's name pronounced. Strange thing, language, isn't it?

Average first innings score on this ground is 329. Need a couple of good partnerships. Last time we played here didn't both teams get about 625?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:03 - Jan 3 with 1177 viewsNthsuffolkblue

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:02 - Jan 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think today is the first time I have heard Nortje's name pronounced. Strange thing, language, isn't it?

Average first innings score on this ground is 329. Need a couple of good partnerships. Last time we played here didn't both teams get about 625?

I paused before posting thanks to the dropped catch. Really did speak too soon didn't I?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:06 - Jan 3 with 1168 viewsGuthrum

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:03 - Jan 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

I paused before posting thanks to the dropped catch. Really did speak too soon didn't I?

Big innings for Stokes now. Mind you, he does have a lot of them ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:07 - Jan 3 with 1169 viewsjimsymBLUE

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 12:02 - Jan 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

We'll be closer to 125 than 625 now
This Nortje guy is rapid, but it does help if you keep an eye on the ball!

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 14:23 - Jan 3 with 1104 viewsSteve_M

Play well, score runs, give wicket away.

And repeat.

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:26 - Jan 3 with 1069 viewsjimsymBLUE

This team is an embarrassment, summed up by Broad's sheer cowardice. Pathetic as per usual.

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:54 - Jan 3 with 1037 viewsvapour_trail

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:26 - Jan 3 by jimsymBLUE

This team is an embarrassment, summed up by Broad's sheer cowardice. Pathetic as per usual.

Very harsh on broad who continues into a 13th year of test cricket. One of our all time greats.

See wisden gave him bowling spell of the decade.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:57 - Jan 3 with 1033 viewsSteve_M

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:54 - Jan 3 by vapour_trail

Very harsh on broad who continues into a 13th year of test cricket. One of our all time greats.

The batsmen who were well set and gave away soft wickets are - again - the ones who are culpable.

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 16:00 - Jan 3 with 1024 viewsvapour_trail

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:57 - Jan 3 by Steve_M

The batsmen who were well set and gave away soft wickets are - again - the ones who are culpable.

Yep it’s a bit soft isn’t it. The stokes one was unreal.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 16:06 - Jan 3 with 1016 viewsjimsymBLUE

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 15:54 - Jan 3 by vapour_trail

Brilliant bowler undoubtedly but should be batting 11 if his ticker has gone. Jimmy prepared to take a bit of punishment and allow Pope to add a few runs. Even Chris Martin & Glenn McGrath as proper muppets didn't show how scared they were!! Someone should be having a word with him but doubt our skipper has it in him.

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 16:11 - Jan 3 with 1004 viewsRadlett_blue

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 16:06 - Jan 3 by jimsymBLUE

Brilliant bowler undoubtedly but should be batting 11 if his ticker has gone. Jimmy prepared to take a bit of punishment and allow Pope to add a few runs. Even Chris Martin & Glenn McGrath as proper muppets didn't show how scared they were!! Someone should be having a word with him but doubt our skipper has it in him.

Broad has become the new Phil Tufnell with the bat, but it's England's recognised batsmen who should be blamed today, with all but one of them getting to 29 and only Pope making 50. Cashing in when you're in on a good pitch is a must for a proper batsman.
Our fast bowling attack looks desperately pop-gun without Archer so even the Safffers should lead by over 100 on first innings.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 16:59 - Jan 3 with 969 viewshampstead_blue

Sibley's dismissal was awful. He simply got lost. The ball was 3 feet wide of the stumps.

I would have smeared that for 6 over third man.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 17:02 - Jan 3 with 965 viewsRadlett_blue

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 16:59 - Jan 3 by hampstead_blue

Sibley's dismissal was awful. He simply got lost. The ball was 3 feet wide of the stumps.

I would have smeared that for 6 over third man.

And Sibley had shown signs of developing the patience to be a Test opener, if not the technique.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

SA v England - 2nd Test - Newlands on 17:15 - Jan 3 with 954 viewsgainsboroughblue

It's sad to see what I consider two pretty poor sides here.

There has been some cracking series between Eng and SA over the years.

This all seems pretty underwhelming.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024