Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it right, right? 15:10 - Aug 11 with 9259 viewsBrixtonBlue

I voted for Chuka Umunna in the last General Election as a Labour candidate. Firstly, he left to be part of Change UK, now he's left that to join the Liberal Democrats, a party he described as "enabling Tory austerity" not so long ago.

I've also had a letter from him (calling me "Dear Friend") slating Corbyn and asking me to join him in the Lib Dems. The bloody cheek of it!

Jumping from party to party like Goldilocks is bad enough, but what irks me more is that Streatham (and parts of Balham, Brixton, Clapham and Tulse Hill) are now Liberal Democrat when they were previously staunch Labour.

Labour won in these areas fair and square, and I voted for them, but we are now Lib Dem just because Chuka decided to jump ship a couple of times. How is this right? I don't want a Lim Dem MOP, didn't vote for them, and they didn't win here. Yet now we have them.

Am I missing something? How is this allowed?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Is it right, right? on 15:12 - Aug 11 with 3523 viewsJ2BLUE

Chuka is someone who clearly believes his own hype and thinks he's much more important than he is judging by his interviews. If it was any other MP he wasn't aligned with he would demanding an election.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it right, right? on 15:31 - Aug 11 with 3462 viewsGeoffSentence

Is it because in our electoral system you actually elect a candidate not a party? Maybe that's how it is allowed.

Under these circumstances though, the decent thing would be to stand down for a by-election.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is it right, right? on 15:39 - Aug 11 with 3433 viewsBlueBoots

"Am I missing something? How is this allowed?"

For the same reason that 125,000 people got to choose between 2 wholly unsuitable candidates to be our current prime minister...

Our entire electoral system is farked and not fit for purpose.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Is it right, right? on 15:55 - Aug 11 with 3373 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If you didn’t want a snivelling opportunistic chancer as your MP, then you probably shouldn’t have voted for Chuka Umunna

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is it right, right? on 15:58 - Aug 11 with 3364 viewsfooters

Is it right, right? on 15:55 - Aug 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If you didn’t want a snivelling opportunistic chancer as your MP, then you probably shouldn’t have voted for Chuka Umunna

Indeed. The bloke's a self-serving toss arse.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is it right, right? on 15:59 - Aug 11 with 3360 viewsDarth_Koont

Change are/were as much a non-alternative alternative as UKIP/The Brexit Party. Similarly populated by people looking out for their own careers and media profiles.

But, as pointed out, we don't actually elect parties we elect candidates as MPs. Again causing problems for real representation of people's interests locally and nationally.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is it right, right? on 16:20 - Aug 11 with 3303 viewsBrixtonBlue

If I were a mind reader I wouldn't have bothered.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Is it right, right? on 16:21 - Aug 11 with 3294 viewsm14_blue

Is it right, right? on 15:59 - Aug 11 by Darth_Koont

Change are/were as much a non-alternative alternative as UKIP/The Brexit Party. Similarly populated by people looking out for their own careers and media profiles.

But, as pointed out, we don't actually elect parties we elect candidates as MPs. Again causing problems for real representation of people's interests locally and nationally.

How were the change uk people looking out for their own careers?

I’d say it was the complete opposite, by abandoning the old tribal parties they have almost certainly sacrificed their careers in favour of their principles. I understand that you fundamentally disagree with those principles, but to call them opportunistic careerists is a lazy soundbite perpetuated by the bipartisan press at those who dare to stand up to red or blue.
Login to get fewer ads

Is it right, right? (n/t) on 16:24 - Aug 11 with 3286 viewsBlueBadger

[Post edited 11 Aug 2019 17:00]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it right, right? on 16:27 - Aug 11 with 3264 viewsBlueBadger

Is it right, right? on 15:12 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

Chuka is someone who clearly believes his own hype and thinks he's much more important than he is judging by his interviews. If it was any other MP he wasn't aligned with he would demanding an election.

Can't you just do what you're doing with Boris and give him a chance?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Is it right, right? on 16:31 - Aug 11 with 3249 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it right, right? on 16:21 - Aug 11 by m14_blue

I’d say it was the complete opposite, by abandoning the old tribal parties they have almost certainly sacrificed their careers in favour of their principles. I understand that you fundamentally disagree with those principles, but to call them opportunistic careerists is a lazy soundbite perpetuated by the bipartisan press at those who dare to stand up to red or blue.

Because most of them were careerists beforehand - that's why the Labour lot were mostly on the verge of being deselected by the CLPs they were meant to represent.

They're getting their democratic desserts now which is good.

Is it right, right? on 16:32 - Aug 11 with 3244 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is it right, right? on 16:21 - Aug 11 by m14_blue

I think this is a fair point generally, but in Umunna’s case given the speed at which he abandoned the cause following their European election failure it does come across as though he was trying to further his career rather than genuinely trying to change the usual apple cart

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is it right, right? on 16:36 - Aug 11 with 3231 viewsm14_blue

Is it right, right? on 16:31 - Aug 11 by Darth_Koont

Because most of them were careerists beforehand - that's why the Labour lot were mostly on the verge of being deselected by the CLPs they were meant to represent.

They're getting their democratic desserts now which is good.

That sounds exactly like the language the more rabid brexit people use about Dominic Grieve et al.

I couldn’t disagree more.
Is it right, right? on 16:37 - Aug 11 with 3228 viewsm14_blue

Is it right, right? on 16:32 - Aug 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think this is a fair point generally, but in Umunna’s case given the speed at which he abandoned the cause following their European election failure it does come across as though he was trying to further his career rather than genuinely trying to change the usual apple cart

Fair point about Chukka, he may well care more about his profile than his political career anyway.
Is it right, right? on 16:37 - Aug 11 with 3229 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it right, right? on 16:27 - Aug 11 by BlueBadger

Can't you just do what you're doing with Boris and give him a chance?

That would be clever if it actually worked.

Stick to Daily Mash level 'humour', it's your level

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it right, right? on 16:41 - Aug 11 with 3211 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it right, right? on 16:36 - Aug 11 by m14_blue

That sounds exactly like the language the more rabid brexit people use about Dominic Grieve et al.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Well, they were in the Labour Party sabotaging a return to actual principles and policies that are desperately needed for the greater good.

They clearly weren't concerned in offering opposition or a genuine alternative at the time so it's good for them to leave and it's also good for people to show that they just don't see them as any kind of alternative.

Is it right, right? on 16:44 - Aug 11 with 3197 viewsm14_blue

Is it right, right? on 16:41 - Aug 11 by Darth_Koont

Well, they were in the Labour Party sabotaging a return to actual principles and policies that are desperately needed for the greater good.

They clearly weren't concerned in offering opposition or a genuine alternative at the time so it's good for them to leave and it's also good for people to show that they just don't see them as any kind of alternative.

Centrist people and politicians can have principles too, they’re just different to yours.

If Labour want to be in power again then they need to keep the Centre left on side, not alienate them and/or force them out of the party.
Is it right, right? on 16:49 - Aug 11 with 3181 viewsIpswichKnight

Simple get 10% of the electorate in Streatham to sign a recall petition and he will then have to fight a by-election.
Is it right, right? on 16:52 - Aug 11 with 3160 viewsThe_Last_Baron

How about taking your political whinging to a left wing political messaging board, such as the canary. No ones here cares . London Labour are a disaster, take a walk from Wandsworth into Lambeth and you see the immediate downgrade.

Vote Boris.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Is it right, right? on 16:54 - Aug 11 with 3145 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it right, right? on 16:44 - Aug 11 by m14_blue

Centrist people and politicians can have principles too, they’re just different to yours.

If Labour want to be in power again then they need to keep the Centre left on side, not alienate them and/or force them out of the party.

Hmmm. That these people are centre left is highly debatable.

Getting rid of careerist, party politicians is what's needed. Especially ones who don't actually represent an alternative to the status quo.

There is zero point having Labour as a centre party. It just pauses our inevitable slide to the right and towards the crazier nut jobs that we've got in power now.

Is it right, right? on 16:54 - Aug 11 with 3146 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Is it right, right? on 15:39 - Aug 11 by BlueBoots

"Am I missing something? How is this allowed?"

For the same reason that 125,000 people got to choose between 2 wholly unsuitable candidates to be our current prime minister...

Our entire electoral system is farked and not fit for purpose.

Boris is suitable for the current predicament and will win a general election, god willing.

The evening we leave the EU I intend to get drunk and dance the night away. What will you be doing?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Is it right, right? on 16:54 - Aug 11 with 3135 viewsBlueBadger

Is it right, right? on 16:37 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

What's the difference between giving one self-serving chancer a chance and not another?

Is it right, right? on 16:55 - Aug 11 with 3138 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is it right, right? on 16:52 - Aug 11 by The_Last_Baron

How about taking your political whinging to a left wing political messaging board, such as the canary. No ones here cares . London Labour are a disaster, take a walk from Wandsworth into Lambeth and you see the immediate downgrade.

Vote Boris.

393 views and 19 replies (including one from you) but "no one here cares."

Ok.

Is it right, right? on 16:56 - Aug 11 with 3129 viewsfooters

Is it right, right? on 16:37 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

He should have known not to mix it with such an intellectual heavyweight, eh, J2?

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is it right, right? on 16:56 - Aug 11 with 3126 viewsBlueBadger

Ironically enough, Chukka is, in his anti-Brexitism, standing up for Dolly's interests a lot more than the Dear Leader Who Can Do Wrong is.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024