Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? 16:41 - Aug 18 with 4893 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/pension-age-should-rise-to-75-tory-think-t

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:04 - Aug 18 with 3232 viewsJ2BLUE

I thought it was already 70 something so seeing it's currently 68 is a bit of a bonus.

Hopefully it doesn't go beyond 70.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:35 - Aug 18 with 3198 viewsronnyd

If it means sitting on your ars@ in an office, that,s not so bad. My last job when i retired from engineering was humping big plates of steel onto a CNC milling m/c and at 65 years old was bloody hard work. The morons who think up these ideas are cosseted upper class who haven,t done a days manual labour in their tiny lives.
Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:41 - Aug 18 with 3177 viewssparks

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:35 - Aug 18 by ronnyd

If it means sitting on your ars@ in an office, that,s not so bad. My last job when i retired from engineering was humping big plates of steel onto a CNC milling m/c and at 65 years old was bloody hard work. The morons who think up these ideas are cosseted upper class who haven,t done a days manual labour in their tiny lives.

Or people who recognise that demongraphics and ageing populations mean something has to change... And that life expectancy is such that a retirement, even at 68, is likely to be a good deal longer and more healthy than it was 30 years ago from 65.

Its a problem. I get the resentment- and feel the same. But there is a difficult equation to deal with here.

What i do object to is the women moaning about their retirement age being shifted to match the male age- especially given the difference in life expectancy!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:53 - Aug 18 with 3146 viewsfactual_blue

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:04 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

I thought it was already 70 something so seeing it's currently 68 is a bit of a bonus.

The thinking around setting the retirement age for men at 65 in the 19th century (the idea was Bismarck's. We simply copied him) was that the average life expectancy for a man was 66: retirement at 65 gave him a year to get his affairs in order.

It'll be 75+ for you.

Enjoy. (I've just booked a holiday for 2021).
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 17:55]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:57 - Aug 18 with 3128 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:53 - Aug 18 by factual_blue

The thinking around setting the retirement age for men at 65 in the 19th century (the idea was Bismarck's. We simply copied him) was that the average life expectancy for a man was 66: retirement at 65 gave him a year to get his affairs in order.

It'll be 75+ for you.

The irony is that if you investigate life expectancy and wealth there will be a link and yet those with greater wealth will be able to afford to retire early from a less manual job.

There has been a generation that has never had it so good but we are in the one that is going to pay for it.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:58 - Aug 18 with 3126 viewsJ2BLUE

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:53 - Aug 18 by factual_blue

It'll be 75+ for you.

I'm not a materialistic person and I would much prefer to own my own time than buy a load of crap I don't need so i'm hoping I will be long retired by 75, with or without the state pension.

Enjoy your retirement.

Truly impaired.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 18:04 - Aug 18 with 3103 viewssparks

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:58 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

I'm not a materialistic person and I would much prefer to own my own time than buy a load of crap I don't need so i'm hoping I will be long retired by 75, with or without the state pension.

Enjoy your retirement.

I fully intend not to be working full time come 65...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 18:09 - Aug 18 with 3075 viewsJ2BLUE

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 18:04 - Aug 18 by sparks

I fully intend not to be working full time come 65...

Agree. I'm a bit sad and love reading 'FIRE' (financial independence, retire early) websites. I want in.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 18:27 - Aug 18 with 3032 viewsfactual_blue

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:58 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

Enjoy your retirement.

Thank youl. I do. Every minute of every day.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:30 - Aug 18 with 2890 viewsMeadowlark

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:41 - Aug 18 by sparks

Or people who recognise that demongraphics and ageing populations mean something has to change... And that life expectancy is such that a retirement, even at 68, is likely to be a good deal longer and more healthy than it was 30 years ago from 65.

Its a problem. I get the resentment- and feel the same. But there is a difficult equation to deal with here.

What i do object to is the women moaning about their retirement age being shifted to match the male age- especially given the difference in life expectancy!

I think you missed the point of the women's complaint.
The WASPI Campaign is fighting for justice for all women, born in the 1950s, affected by the changes to the State Pension Age. WASPI is not against equalisation, but does not accept the unfair way the changes to SPA were implemented with inadequate or no notice.
Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:34 - Aug 18 with 2878 viewsOldsmoker

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 17:04 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

It's all very well saying retire at 70 but there is very little work for people over 60 who haven't a job.
Instead of paying people the state pension the government will pay UC.
It all comes from the Tax payers - just a different name.
There has to be a sea-change whereby people over 60 are not seen as past it and are employed in useful positions. One week you are running a department of 10 people and then the next week finding you failed to get that supermarket shelf-filling job because you didn't have the experience and qualities they were looking for.

Companies want cheap compliant workers.
Under 18's are paid less than the reduced min wage.
Under 25's are paid a reduced min wage.
Over 25's are paid the min wage.
So, an over 60 has to be paid more than a 16-25 yr old and won't accept being exploited so companies don't want them.
The government has to create a job market for over 60's if they want them to work up to 70.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:43 - Aug 18 with 2848 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:34 - Aug 18 by Oldsmoker

It's all very well saying retire at 70 but there is very little work for people over 60 who haven't a job.
Instead of paying people the state pension the government will pay UC.
It all comes from the Tax payers - just a different name.
There has to be a sea-change whereby people over 60 are not seen as past it and are employed in useful positions. One week you are running a department of 10 people and then the next week finding you failed to get that supermarket shelf-filling job because you didn't have the experience and qualities they were looking for.

Companies want cheap compliant workers.
Under 18's are paid less than the reduced min wage.
Under 25's are paid a reduced min wage.
Over 25's are paid the min wage.
So, an over 60 has to be paid more than a 16-25 yr old and won't accept being exploited so companies don't want them.
The government has to create a job market for over 60's if they want them to work up to 70.

You make the assumption that the Government sees people's welfare as their responsibility. Successive Governments have been moving away from that as much as they can because the welfare budget is seen as out of control whilst tax cuts and (generally legal) tax avoidance by higher earners is just a jolly good thing to do.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:48 - Aug 18 with 2828 viewssparks

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:30 - Aug 18 by Meadowlark

I think you missed the point of the women's complaint.
The WASPI Campaign is fighting for justice for all women, born in the 1950s, affected by the changes to the State Pension Age. WASPI is not against equalisation, but does not accept the unfair way the changes to SPA were implemented with inadequate or no notice.

There was a lot of notice. And even if there was not- whilst I understand the emotive reaciton, the retirement age was grossly unfair and discriminatory.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:06 - Aug 18 with 2781 viewsMeadowlark

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:48 - Aug 18 by sparks

There was a lot of notice. And even if there was not- whilst I understand the emotive reaciton, the retirement age was grossly unfair and discriminatory.

There was no notice In many cases. I personally know people who were affected.
I agree with you that the difference in retirement age was unfair and discriminatory. Those affected would also agree. That's not in question.
The problem was with the implementation. If you were planning on an imminent retirement date and it was suddenly withdrawn and extended by several years - with no notice - I honestly believe that you would not be too happy about it either. They were seen as an easy target.
Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:19 - Aug 18 with 2748 viewsOldsmoker

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 20:43 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

You make the assumption that the Government sees people's welfare as their responsibility. Successive Governments have been moving away from that as much as they can because the welfare budget is seen as out of control whilst tax cuts and (generally legal) tax avoidance by higher earners is just a jolly good thing to do.

The welfare of the nations people IS the governments responsibilty and there are many laws that state that. But you are right that successive governments don't want that responsibilty and are finding ways to relinquish that responsibilty. The Tories definitely don't care for old people unless they're the sort who vote Tory.
Governments have been moving away from helping people and especially since Labour lost power in 2010. Even in 2005, my short experience on JSA showed me that Labour was already creating a hostile environment towards the unemployed as they introduced the sanctions policy at the DWP.
The government need to create the job environment that keeps people in work in their 60's if they want them to work up to 70. The wealth creators (sorry, wealth extractors) won't do it. There's a whole pile of problems waiting to be unleashed if they don't, because old people who are renting will be made homeless in increasing numbers and the councils don't have the money or housing to cope.
70% of my pension goes on rent and it's about to go up. There are many more old people worse off than me. It will have to be a body count in the 10's of thousands of old homeless people dying on the streets for something to get done - but hey ho look on the bright side, the govt. won't have to pay them a pension.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:24 - Aug 18 with 2730 viewsJ2BLUE

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:19 - Aug 18 by Oldsmoker

The welfare of the nations people IS the governments responsibilty and there are many laws that state that. But you are right that successive governments don't want that responsibilty and are finding ways to relinquish that responsibilty. The Tories definitely don't care for old people unless they're the sort who vote Tory.
Governments have been moving away from helping people and especially since Labour lost power in 2010. Even in 2005, my short experience on JSA showed me that Labour was already creating a hostile environment towards the unemployed as they introduced the sanctions policy at the DWP.
The government need to create the job environment that keeps people in work in their 60's if they want them to work up to 70. The wealth creators (sorry, wealth extractors) won't do it. There's a whole pile of problems waiting to be unleashed if they don't, because old people who are renting will be made homeless in increasing numbers and the councils don't have the money or housing to cope.
70% of my pension goes on rent and it's about to go up. There are many more old people worse off than me. It will have to be a body count in the 10's of thousands of old homeless people dying on the streets for something to get done - but hey ho look on the bright side, the govt. won't have to pay them a pension.

70%?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Truly impaired.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:30 - Aug 18 with 2715 viewsOldsmoker

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:24 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

70%?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Yea, it sucks.
£625 out of £890.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:35 - Aug 18 with 2692 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:24 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

70%?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

and "there are many more people worse off than me".

The divide between rich and poor is probably even greater in retirement than during working age.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:41 - Aug 18 with 2667 viewsJ2BLUE

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:35 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

and "there are many more people worse off than me".

The divide between rich and poor is probably even greater in retirement than during working age.

Owning a property seems to be a massive advantage. Plenty of my generation rent and will be in the same situation.

Truly impaired.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:53 - Aug 18 with 2649 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:41 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

Owning a property seems to be a massive advantage. Plenty of my generation rent and will be in the same situation.

Owning property always has been a big difference between the better off and the worse off.

Over sufficient time property always appreciates. Once you have paid the mortgage off, to live rent free must make a massive difference. To be able to live with rental income from multiple properties is also a bonus.

This is one reason why Labour's unpopular "mansion" tax was a good idea in my book.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:54 - Aug 18 with 2648 viewsjeera

"It recommended helping older people “access the benefits of work” by giving support to them and employers, such as increased access to flexible working and training opportunities."

This is the 75 that is just 5 years from 80, right?

Have these people met any 75 year olds?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:56 - Aug 18 with 2637 viewsJ2BLUE

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:54 - Aug 18 by jeera

"It recommended helping older people “access the benefits of work” by giving support to them and employers, such as increased access to flexible working and training opportunities."

This is the 75 that is just 5 years from 80, right?

Have these people met any 75 year olds?

I must admit I thought the training opportunities bit was typical 2019 nonsense.

Truly impaired.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:58 - Aug 18 with 2628 viewsJ2BLUE

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:53 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Owning property always has been a big difference between the better off and the worse off.

Over sufficient time property always appreciates. Once you have paid the mortgage off, to live rent free must make a massive difference. To be able to live with rental income from multiple properties is also a bonus.

This is one reason why Labour's unpopular "mansion" tax was a good idea in my book.

I must admit I used to think I would rent my flat out when I got a house but now i'm not sure I can morally justify it. It's the sensible move but is it right? Probably not.

Still, quite a way away from house so plenty of time to agonise over the morality of it!

Truly impaired.

Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:58 - Aug 18 with 2629 viewsThe_Major

Problem is, it's been known for years that after 1963, the birth rate plunged, and eventually we'd become a population with more older people. Now, it seems to me that the best way to solve that is attract younger people from elsewhere, so we're lucky that we're part of a trading bloc that allows you to work here with relatively little trouble.

Oh.
Retirement is always going to move away as fast as I approach it isn't it? on 21:58 - Aug 18 with 2628 viewsElderGrizzly

This will never happen. It’s pre-election nonsense from The Mirror, to aid Labour.

There are no scenarios where the retirement age increases 7 years so quickly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024