Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On This Day 1993 15:58 - Aug 21 with 3291 viewsTommyparker

Town went top of the Premiership with their third successive win. Chelsea were beaten 1-0 at Portman Road, Palmer's pass finds Marshall in space and he produces a confident finish.

Baker
Stockwell
Thompson
Wark
Linighan
Whelan
Williams
Mason
Palmer
Marshall
Kiwoyma

Attendance 17,355
On This Day 1993 on 16:06 - Aug 21 with 2670 viewsGeoffSentence

Strange to think that there were more there last night than to see us go top of the prem.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

On This Day 1993 on 16:11 - Aug 21 with 2658 viewsGavTWTD

Blimey. What a poor team too. Was a big fan of Mason though.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

On This Day 1993 on 16:17 - Aug 21 with 2642 viewsBigManBlue

On This Day 1993 on 16:11 - Aug 21 by GavTWTD

Yeah but Micky Stockwell gets a pass for the job he did on my parents' kitchen.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

On This Day 1993 on 16:18 - Aug 21 with 2637 viewschicoazul

Not sure I can agree with this. It was a well balanced powerful team and as you allude to had one or two very good players. Not the prettiest of football maybe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

On This Day 1993 on 16:21 - Aug 21 with 2615 viewsBlueySwede

No, it was a decent team, albeit an aging one. Kiwomya was one of my early favourite players.
On This Day 1993 on 16:26 - Aug 21 with 2600 viewsGavTWTD

On This Day 1993 on 16:18 - Aug 21 by chicoazul

Not sure I can agree with this. It was a well balanced powerful team and as you allude to had one or two very good players. Not the prettiest of football maybe.

Stockwell and Thompson were excellent. Two of my all time favourite players of all time.

While I fondly remember Kiwomya, he's not a player that was really that good. Lots of pace but little else.

Marshall, Mathie (later) and Mason all played well together.

But Palmer? I was fed up with hearing about his qualifications in the papers.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

On This Day 1993 on 16:32 - Aug 21 with 2576 viewsTommyparker

On the last day of the season six clubs could join Swindon in the relegation placings! Town, Manchester City, Everton, Southampton, Sheffield United and Oldham. We earned a point away to Blackburn, Stockwell clearing off the line late on. We failed to win any of the last 11 League matches. Marshall was leading scorer with 15.
On This Day 1993 on 16:47 - Aug 21 with 2535 viewsBasingstokeBlue

🎵 One Micky Stockwell, there's only one Micky Stockwell... 🎵

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Login to get fewer ads

On This Day 1993 on 16:56 - Aug 21 with 2523 viewschicoazul

On This Day 1993 on 16:26 - Aug 21 by GavTWTD

Stockwell and Thompson were excellent. Two of my all time favourite players of all time.

While I fondly remember Kiwomya, he's not a player that was really that good. Lots of pace but little else.

Marshall, Mathie (later) and Mason all played well together.

But Palmer? I was fed up with hearing about his qualifications in the papers.

For a little while, from halfway through the Lyall promotion season to the game you mntioned he was one of our most important players. But yeah, did you know he went to Cambridge?
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 16:57]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

On This Day 1993 on 17:18 - Aug 21 with 2498 viewsSteve_M

On This Day 1993 on 16:18 - Aug 21 by chicoazul

It stayed up by a tiny margin and formed the basis of the worst side in our history. And if people think McCarthy played crap football they are forgetting how we played from about October 1993 onwards.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On This Day 1993 on 17:22 - Aug 21 with 2489 viewschicoazul

On This Day 1993 on 17:18 - Aug 21 by Steve_M

It stayed up by a tiny margin and formed the basis of the worst side in our history. And if people think McCarthy played crap football they are forgetting how we played from about October 1993 onwards.

No no no. The worst side in history was M'boro at home last season, come on now.

On This Day 1993 on 17:27 - Aug 21 with 2482 viewsActionMan

Or for over 70 minutes yesterday, and for much of last Saturday... and the second half against Sunderland... oh...
On This Day 1993 on 18:05 - Aug 21 with 2439 viewsRadlett_blue

Although much of that was allegedly down to Mick McGiven taking control from Lyall.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

On This Day 1993 on 18:07 - Aug 21 with 2433 viewsBlueBadger

*second worst

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

On This Day 1993 on 18:13 - Aug 21 with 2421 viewscaught-in-limbo

A poor team maybe, but we were top of the best league in the world.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

On This Day 1993 on 18:13 - Aug 21 with 2422 viewsPJH

On This Day 1993 on 18:05 - Aug 21 by Radlett_blue

Although much of that was allegedly down to Mick McGiven taking control from Lyall.

I was never sure exactly went on there.

I am looking at "The Essential History Of Ipswich Town" by Mel Henderson and Paul Voller and to quote that "John Lyall had decided to take a step back,allowing Mick McGiven to take charge of team affairs.Lyall still had input-his spying missions to watch future opponents led to him dictating tactics-but McGiven took charge of the daily coaching".
On This Day 1993 on 18:34 - Aug 21 with 2397 viewsRadlett_blue

On This Day 1993 on 18:13 - Aug 21 by PJH

I was never sure exactly went on there.

I am looking at "The Essential History Of Ipswich Town" by Mel Henderson and Paul Voller and to quote that "John Lyall had decided to take a step back,allowing Mick McGiven to take charge of team affairs.Lyall still had input-his spying missions to watch future opponents led to him dictating tactics-but McGiven took charge of the daily coaching".

Yes, McGiven had been brought in as Lyall's coach as soon as he was appointed Town manager so he would also have been part of Town's promotion season.
Apparently, in the summer after promotion, it was announced that Mcgiven had been promoted to "first team manager", while Lyall would be "club manager". Certainly, after promotion, town played far more defensively, but maybe that was appropriate for trying to survive in a higher league and we were 5th in January before a collapse in form. After a fairly dismal 1993-94 season, McGiven was moved sideways as "football development officer", Lyall became first team boss again, charlie Woods became assistant manager & Paul Goddard coach. didn't make much difference, did it, although McGiven had often set Town up very negatively

On This Day 1993 on 18:56 - Aug 21 with 2375 viewsChurchman

I was at that game. We deserved to win that game. It wasn’t the best team we ever had by any means, but I don’t remember the football being that bad.

Baker: poor, Stockwell: played everywhere, whole hearted player, Thompson: ‘the former nappy salesman’ (poor bloke, it was always quoted) was limited, but a non nonsense player and a good striker of a ball, Wark: legend but was struggling by then, Linighan: had a handy punch on him, Whelan: never fulfilled his promise and I still wince at the thought of seeing his foot the wrong way round, Williams: no goals in him but whole hearted up and down water carrier player, Mason: liked him. Stylish but a bit lightweight, Palmer: painfully limited, Marshall: peculiar looking bloke, but effective and when fit could bully defenders, Kiwomya: lovely little player. Memorable lilac suit on the bus parade in 2002.

John Lyall was a good manager. One of the best we’ve had. He took Duncan’s shower and turned them into Div 2 winners. It’s a shame he didn’t come to us 5 years earlier. McGiven: totally clueless.
On This Day 1993 on 19:52 - Aug 21 with 2328 viewsPJH

On This Day 1993 on 18:34 - Aug 21 by Radlett_blue

Yes, McGiven had been brought in as Lyall's coach as soon as he was appointed Town manager so he would also have been part of Town's promotion season.
Apparently, in the summer after promotion, it was announced that Mcgiven had been promoted to "first team manager", while Lyall would be "club manager". Certainly, after promotion, town played far more defensively, but maybe that was appropriate for trying to survive in a higher league and we were 5th in January before a collapse in form. After a fairly dismal 1993-94 season, McGiven was moved sideways as "football development officer", Lyall became first team boss again, charlie Woods became assistant manager & Paul Goddard coach. didn't make much difference, did it, although McGiven had often set Town up very negatively

The impression that I got was that John Lyall decided to move himself "upstairs" because prior to that he seemed to have a pretty free rein to do what he wanted, as was common for ITFC Managers.
The fact that we then struggled on the pitch(although as you say the early part of 1992/3 was poor result wise)after he gave up absolute control has perhaps unfairly tarnished what John Lyall did for us overall.
On This Day 1993 on 23:00 - Aug 21 with 2236 viewspatrickswell

On This Day 1993 on 19:52 - Aug 21 by PJH

The impression that I got was that John Lyall decided to move himself "upstairs" because prior to that he seemed to have a pretty free rein to do what he wanted, as was common for ITFC Managers.
The fact that we then struggled on the pitch(although as you say the early part of 1992/3 was poor result wise)after he gave up absolute control has perhaps unfairly tarnished what John Lyall did for us overall.

It’s an odd one really. Most of that side, and a few others who didn’t play that day but were very much part of the era (Craig Forrest, Simon Milton, Gavin Johnson etc) gave us a wonderful and unexpected adventure from about November 1991 (when the promotion run started) up to the four day double of winning at Tottenham and beating Man Utd in January 1993. But it was pretty turgid stuff through the next 2 seasons.
Replacing Jason Dozzell was problematic, the transfers were iffy, Lee Durrant was the only guy from within who got any game time up to the end of 1993-94, and weren’t Lyall and McGiven at odds with the media a lot of the time?

Ultimately though, looking at the side which played Chelsea, I can think of about half a dozen who would have walked into the side last season...
On This Day 1993 on 00:02 - Aug 22 with 2186 viewsreusersfreekicks

On This Day 1993 on 18:34 - Aug 21 by Radlett_blue

Didn't Wark have a jt role with Goddard. They clearly weren't ready.
On This Day 1993 on 08:59 - Aug 22 with 2095 viewsThe_Major

Problem is, game four was then at The Temple Of All Evil up the road, we lost, and well, that was that for the season really, apart from perhaps Megsons own goal in the return fixture, and tearing Spurs apart in the Cup.
On This Day 1993 on 09:15 - Aug 22 with 2065 viewsSteve_M

On This Day 1993 on 08:59 - Aug 22 by The_Major

Problem is, game four was then at The Temple Of All Evil up the road, we lost, and well, that was that for the season really, apart from perhaps Megsons own goal in the return fixture, and tearing Spurs apart in the Cup.

That Spurs game was such an anomaly, really enjoyed it though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On This Day 1993 on 09:22 - Aug 22 with 2046 viewsRadlett_blue

On This Day 1993 on 23:00 - Aug 21 by patrickswell

It’s an odd one really. Most of that side, and a few others who didn’t play that day but were very much part of the era (Craig Forrest, Simon Milton, Gavin Johnson etc) gave us a wonderful and unexpected adventure from about November 1991 (when the promotion run started) up to the four day double of winning at Tottenham and beating Man Utd in January 1993. But it was pretty turgid stuff through the next 2 seasons.
Replacing Jason Dozzell was problematic, the transfers were iffy, Lee Durrant was the only guy from within who got any game time up to the end of 1993-94, and weren’t Lyall and McGiven at odds with the media a lot of the time?

Ultimately though, looking at the side which played Chelsea, I can think of about half a dozen who would have walked into the side last season...

I think the real problem was that the side that was promoted wasn't all that good. Plenty of decent 2nd tier journeymen players, boosted by the emergence of Dozzell & Kiwomya, who were real talents. We didn't help our problems by generally buying very badly - Slater, Sedgley, Paz etc.

On This Day 1993 on 10:24 - Aug 22 with 2004 viewsChurchman

On This Day 1993 on 09:22 - Aug 22 by Radlett_blue

I think the real problem was that the side that was promoted wasn't all that good. Plenty of decent 2nd tier journeymen players, boosted by the emergence of Dozzell & Kiwomya, who were real talents. We didn't help our problems by generally buying very badly - Slater, Sedgley, Paz etc.

The promotion team wasn’t all that good, but it wasn’t all that bad either. In the first season in the PL there were some good performances. Leeds, both Norwich games, Spurs away, Blackburn leap to mind. I think the team was quite well balanced but I agree it was limited.

The big problem was that the team got weaker, not stronger, not least through losing Jason Dozzell. The good start in 2003/4 saved us really. I would agree re the signings. Sedgely was a reasonable player, but for some reason annoyed me. Irrational but that was how it was and the deal to ship him out for ££ plus Mark Venus was a masterstroke buy GB. Slater was a massive disappointment and Paz a talented waste of space. I think the signing that topped the lot was when they wheeled Lee Chapman out on the pitch on a Porter’s trolley and dumped him in the centre circle. He’d passed ‘has been’ a couple of years earlier and spent most of the time here paid for looking confused. Awful signing.

On the upside, one of my favourite players of that time Mauricio Taricco came. I thought he was hopeless the first time I saw him. Too small, too lightweight. How wrong I was. Lovely player with a big heart and a streak of evil. Never gave less than 100%.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024