Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On This Day 1993 15:58 - Aug 21 with 3294 viewsTommyparker

Town went top of the Premiership with their third successive win. Chelsea were beaten 1-0 at Portman Road, Palmer's pass finds Marshall in space and he produces a confident finish.

Baker
Stockwell
Thompson
Wark
Linighan
Whelan
Williams
Mason
Palmer
Marshall
Kiwoyma

Attendance 17,355
On This Day 1993 on 20:37 - Aug 22 with 580 viewsgainsboroughblue

On This Day 1993 on 10:24 - Aug 22 by Churchman

The promotion team wasn’t all that good, but it wasn’t all that bad either. In the first season in the PL there were some good performances. Leeds, both Norwich games, Spurs away, Blackburn leap to mind. I think the team was quite well balanced but I agree it was limited.

The big problem was that the team got weaker, not stronger, not least through losing Jason Dozzell. The good start in 2003/4 saved us really. I would agree re the signings. Sedgely was a reasonable player, but for some reason annoyed me. Irrational but that was how it was and the deal to ship him out for ££ plus Mark Venus was a masterstroke buy GB. Slater was a massive disappointment and Paz a talented waste of space. I think the signing that topped the lot was when they wheeled Lee Chapman out on the pitch on a Porter’s trolley and dumped him in the centre circle. He’d passed ‘has been’ a couple of years earlier and spent most of the time here paid for looking confused. Awful signing.

On the upside, one of my favourite players of that time Mauricio Taricco came. I thought he was hopeless the first time I saw him. Too small, too lightweight. How wrong I was. Lovely player with a big heart and a streak of evil. Never gave less than 100%.

That first Premier League season seemed very transitional for not only us, but the division itself. The momentum we had built up with promotion was crucial as it was ultimately the first half of the season form which kept us up.

The Prem wasn't anywhere near as strong by todays standards. The defending champions Leeds were woeful, Liverpool were in the middle of the Souness mediocrity years, Blackburn were in the infancy of their trying to buy the title.

Lots of average teams really other than Man Utd. Villa finsihed second then reverted to mid-table type the next year. Norwich finished third with a negative goal difference.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2019 20:37]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

On This Day 1993 on 20:53 - Aug 22 with 559 viewsPJH

On This Day 1993 on 20:37 - Aug 22 by gainsboroughblue

That first Premier League season seemed very transitional for not only us, but the division itself. The momentum we had built up with promotion was crucial as it was ultimately the first half of the season form which kept us up.

The Prem wasn't anywhere near as strong by todays standards. The defending champions Leeds were woeful, Liverpool were in the middle of the Souness mediocrity years, Blackburn were in the infancy of their trying to buy the title.

Lots of average teams really other than Man Utd. Villa finsihed second then reverted to mid-table type the next year. Norwich finished third with a negative goal difference.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2019 20:37]

and that Naarwich negative goal difference of -4 was due to our 5-1 aggregate win over them.

I think when we beat them 2-0 at Carrot Rud just before xmas 1992 we were 3rd and they were top.

We then won only 3 more games(Blackburn and Man U at home and Spurs away)until we beat them 3-1 at PR to just about clinch our safety and end their title chances in late April.
On This Day 1993 on 21:06 - Aug 22 with 551 viewsChurchman

On This Day 1993 on 20:53 - Aug 22 by PJH

and that Naarwich negative goal difference of -4 was due to our 5-1 aggregate win over them.

I think when we beat them 2-0 at Carrot Rud just before xmas 1992 we were 3rd and they were top.

We then won only 3 more games(Blackburn and Man U at home and Spurs away)until we beat them 3-1 at PR to just about clinch our safety and end their title chances in late April.

We won 2-0 at Carrot Road on one of the Sky Monday night blow up sumo wrestler games not long before Christmas.

I went with my dad and we had tickets in the Norwich end. Kept silent for the first goal, but when Dozzell scored at the end we just went up .....along with a good number of others in that stand that had done exactly the same thing. It was a good night.

Yes, after the Blackburn game which I think was at Xmas time, we struggled to win a game.
On This Day 1993 on 21:08 - Aug 22 with 549 viewsPJH

On This Day 1993 on 21:06 - Aug 22 by Churchman

We won 2-0 at Carrot Road on one of the Sky Monday night blow up sumo wrestler games not long before Christmas.

I went with my dad and we had tickets in the Norwich end. Kept silent for the first goal, but when Dozzell scored at the end we just went up .....along with a good number of others in that stand that had done exactly the same thing. It was a good night.

Yes, after the Blackburn game which I think was at Xmas time, we struggled to win a game.

It was Neil Thompson that scored at the end and Dozzell got his uncles bobble hat.

I was there too and I still have the video of the whole programme recorded off SKY.

Dozzell scored twice at PR.
On This Day 1993 on 21:15 - Aug 22 with 545 viewsChurchman

On This Day 1993 on 21:08 - Aug 22 by PJH

It was Neil Thompson that scored at the end and Dozzell got his uncles bobble hat.

I was there too and I still have the video of the whole programme recorded off SKY.

Dozzell scored twice at PR.

Ahhh I stand corrected. You are right. I remembered the bobble hat and with my aged brain deleted Neil Thompson! Sorry Neil!

The home game was very enjoyable not just because it made us safe from relegation, but we actually played ok. Without reliance on my rotten memory, I seem to remember Micky Stockwell scored the other
On This Day 1993 on 21:18 - Aug 22 with 541 viewsPJH

On This Day 1993 on 21:15 - Aug 22 by Churchman

Ahhh I stand corrected. You are right. I remembered the bobble hat and with my aged brain deleted Neil Thompson! Sorry Neil!

The home game was very enjoyable not just because it made us safe from relegation, but we actually played ok. Without reliance on my rotten memory, I seem to remember Micky Stockwell scored the other

Yes Micky Stockwell got our other goal at PR and Chris Kiwomya our first in Norfolk.
On This Day 1993 on 21:31 - Aug 22 with 532 viewsTrequartista

On This Day 1993 on 18:13 - Aug 21 by caught-in-limbo

A poor team maybe, but we were top of the best league in the world.

We weren't top of Serie A

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

On This Day 1993 on 06:24 - Aug 23 with 491 viewsBluespeed225

On This Day 1993 on 20:53 - Aug 22 by PJH

They played Land of Hope and Glory at the end for some reason! it did just about finish them, and i din't think we make enough of it!
Login to get fewer ads

On This Day 1993 on 07:52 - Aug 23 with 480 viewsNthQldITFC

On This Day 1993 on 16:47 - Aug 21 by BasingstokeBlue

🎵 One Micky Stockwell, there's only one Micky Stockwell... 🎵

🎵 Williams, from the halfway line... 🎵

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024