Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With this squad... 08:56 - Aug 10 with 1461 viewsNorthstaNder

...does anyone think we would do ok* in the championship, with a couple or three additions?

* By ok I mean avoid relegation!
With this squad... on 08:59 - Aug 10 with 1441 viewsBlueBadger

Given that it's essentially the same squad that was relegated without a whimper last season, probably not, at present.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

With this squad... on 09:01 - Aug 10 with 1432 viewsPecker

With this squad... on 08:59 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

Given that it's essentially the same squad that was relegated without a whimper last season, probably not, at present.

This.
With this squad... on 09:04 - Aug 10 with 1410 viewsfactual_blue

138 points and 46 goals

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

With this squad... on 09:05 - Aug 10 with 1406 viewsPendejo

Disagree on principle that last season;-

Woolfie did really well then was sent out on loan

Norwood

"full" season of Judge

But I think we'd have a better idea come December as not many of us have actually seen this side in the flesh yet.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

With this squad... on 09:16 - Aug 10 with 1348 viewsbrogansnose

Difficult one really and perhaps a bit too early , we've been saying this all pre-season but the defence needs to be better and we can't just rely on Norwood. Certainly I would hope thaat over the course of the season the team would get a much better understanding of each other and some of the young guns develop which would stand us in good stead should we get promoted. Building confidence after last season is key but at times last week at Burton some players looked like they'd found their level and I can't get beyond the thought that if we'd have still been in the Championship we may well have been on the wrong end of things.

Like I say, early days and I'm hopefull we will come together and develop into a sustainable good side.
With this squad... on 09:24 - Aug 10 with 1318 viewsNaylorsboots

Not a chance. Way to weak. We may yet struggle in this league. Too early to tell.
Its system and players on 09:54 - Aug 10 with 1250 viewsunstableblue

As a club we had let our system massively decline... Lambert tried to resuscitate it last term... and in our run of 1-1 draws we looked Championship class.. but I think we lacked finishers.

Lambert;s had a pre-season, and has a midfield that is definitely worthy of the championship - Downes is the real mccoy for example.

But our defence it too weak, and we'd need one more striker. I do believe in Norwood, even at a higher level.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

With this squad... on 10:22 - Aug 10 with 1168 viewsActionMan

No. We'd be relegated again sadly - last season wasn't a fluke we were the worst team by some stretch and we've signed no Championship standard players since. We couldn't defend last season and we couldn't score, and our best player from last season just signed for Huddersfield.

I fully expect us to go back down if we are promoted as Evans has no intention of spending the kind of money you need to maintain your position in that league now. It may make us more salable but he'd have to sell for half the cost he bought it for and write off the debt before anyone would look twice at buying it.
Login to get fewer ads

With this squad... on 10:26 - Aug 10 with 1144 viewsunstableblue

With this squad... on 10:22 - Aug 10 by ActionMan

No. We'd be relegated again sadly - last season wasn't a fluke we were the worst team by some stretch and we've signed no Championship standard players since. We couldn't defend last season and we couldn't score, and our best player from last season just signed for Huddersfield.

I fully expect us to go back down if we are promoted as Evans has no intention of spending the kind of money you need to maintain your position in that league now. It may make us more salable but he'd have to sell for half the cost he bought it for and write off the debt before anyone would look twice at buying it.

Don't fully agree, in our run of 1-1 games we looked on a par with any team, even the more expensively squaded upper table teams.

It was the lack of a real finisher that cost us, and Lambert has to shoulder some responsibility for Keane and Quaner (albeit Keane was a good hold up player, and was also injured)

As stated our midfield is championship quality, with Downes coming of age and Huws seemingly fit.

Plus our system of play is improving following the McCarthy insular approach and Hurst's naivety.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

With this squad... on 10:26 - Aug 10 with 1145 viewspointofblue

I think we’d put up more of a fight but still go down - we’d have have to address both the defence and attack if we did go up, replacing Wilson in particular. I have to wonder if Chambers and Skuse would be up for the rigours of a Championship campaign one year on as well.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

With this squad... on 11:00 - Aug 10 with 1080 viewsRadlett_blue

With this squad... on 10:26 - Aug 10 by pointofblue

I think we’d put up more of a fight but still go down - we’d have have to address both the defence and attack if we did go up, replacing Wilson in particular. I have to wonder if Chambers and Skuse would be up for the rigours of a Championship campaign one year on as well.

The plus is that, if we did go up, plenty of our young players would have done well & developed. We would still need some decent signings though & Evans isn't willing to finance a squad better than bottom half of the 2nd tier.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

With this squad... on 12:00 - Aug 10 with 1028 viewsmonty_radio

With this squad... on 11:00 - Aug 10 by Radlett_blue

The plus is that, if we did go up, plenty of our young players would have done well & developed. We would still need some decent signings though & Evans isn't willing to finance a squad better than bottom half of the 2nd tier.

Though young players doing well over a full season = sales which might not be replaced, and almost certainly, not replaced well enough.

Made me sad typing that: basically a "We're doomed, Mainwaring" scenario.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

With this squad... on 12:11 - Aug 10 with 1002 viewsRadlett_blue

With this squad... on 12:00 - Aug 10 by monty_radio

Though young players doing well over a full season = sales which might not be replaced, and almost certainly, not replaced well enough.

Made me sad typing that: basically a "We're doomed, Mainwaring" scenario.

So, let's just (hopefully) enjoy winning a few games and maybe getting promoted. Then we can fret over whether the squad will be good enough to keep us in the 2nd tier.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024