Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madeira 12:09 - Jul 25 with 1843 viewsHackneyblueboy

Has anyone been to Madeira? Thinking about going for 4 nights in early October. It's got a bit of a repuation as an old peoples resort but I've heard thats changing?
Madeira on 12:14 - Jul 25 with 1828 viewsitfcjoe

My in-laws go there and really like it - as weather very reliable and temperate

But they are late 50s and don't do anything youngsters would do on holiday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Madeira on 12:17 - Jul 25 with 1816 viewsBlueorder

A bit of a hair raising landing (not a problem if you're ok with flying). Also, not the most exciting place in my opinion.
Madeira on 12:32 - Jul 25 with 1784 viewsSaleAway

I went with my wife a few weeks back - really depends what you want from your holiday.

Its a lovely island - temperature is very reasonable - so you're unlikely to cook - but should still be pleasant.

We stayed at Cabao Girao - which is at the top of a 600m sea cliff, so had amazing views ( when it wasn't in cloud!).

In terms of things to do, we had a hire car ( which was interesting), so were able to visit a few different places on the island ( the volcanic caves and museum are quite good). We also went canyoning with Harmony in Nature ( https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189167-d2140752-Reviews-Harmony which was a fab half day. I'd highly recommend them. OBviously, there is also the CR7 museum, where you can laugh at the Ronaldo statue. We used its car park, but didn't bother going in.

In terms of nightlife - there appears to be a growing community of bars etc in the Funchal Old Town. We didn't visit, as weren't based in Funchal, but it might be worth a look.

Afternoon Tea at Reid's palace is a bit of a classic - not cheap, but a nice experience ( but read the dress code before you go, because they will turn you away if you turn up in shorts).

Probably not the most exciting place, but for 4 nights, you could probably find plenty to entertain you PM me if you want any more details.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Madeira on 12:36 - Jul 25 with 1777 viewspimballwizard

Madeira on 12:17 - Jul 25 by Blueorder

A bit of a hair raising landing (not a problem if you're ok with flying). Also, not the most exciting place in my opinion.

Not a terribly exciting place as you state but the pilots I spoke to in my last job always told me that landing a 'plane at Funchal airport was a piece of cake .
Madeira on 12:44 - Jul 25 with 1754 viewsRyorry

Madeira on 12:36 - Jul 25 by pimballwizard

Not a terribly exciting place as you state but the pilots I spoke to in my last job always told me that landing a 'plane at Funchal airport was a piece of cake .

You should have done it before they extended the runway, it was terrifying - always felt you were going to land in the drink! (this was the 1970s & 80s, I went a few times - not been since '85 so can't really comment on it as a hol destination for youngsters now).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Madeira on 12:47 - Jul 25 with 1738 viewsfactual_blue

Madeira on 12:36 - Jul 25 by pimballwizard

Madeira cake presumably.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Madeira on 12:50 - Jul 25 with 1720 viewspimballwizard

Madeira on 12:47 - Jul 25 by factual_blue

Madeira cake presumably.

Good to see someone is awake !!
Madeira on 12:54 - Jul 25 with 1710 viewsfactual_blue

Madeira on 12:50 - Jul 25 by pimballwizard

Good to see someone is awake !!

You're lucky - this is the brief interlude between my lie-in and my siesta.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Madeira on 13:12 - Jul 25 with 1688 viewsScuzzer

We went five or six years ago and stayed in a little guest house owned by an ex-pat who was also the chef at its own restaurant. We absolutely loved it...but then we probably would fit into the stereotypical age group that is identified with the island. If you prefer things a little more upbeat then get a hotel down near the lido in Funchal. There is plenty to occupy you if you want to do sight seeing. You might even get to see a footy match, two teams Maritimo, we used to walk past their ground every day when walking into Funchal, and Nacional which is the team CR7 started with. There are plenty of island tours available, usually divided into three....east, west and central. Try to get to visit the top of the mountains the views are stunning! Go on the tour of the wine producers in Funchal and get to taste some of the Madeiras they have...absolutely delicious. You will be surprised when you see a real Madeira cake...more like Jamaica Ginger Cake. One point to note...try and avoid the time share dealers who frequent down on the quay side in Funchal...they usually use the ploy of getting you to enter a raffle...which you always ending up winning...but need to go and collect a prize at some resort.

Established 1968

Madeira on 13:47 - Jul 25 with 1639 viewsRadlett_blue

Madeira on 13:12 - Jul 25 by Scuzzer

We went five or six years ago and stayed in a little guest house owned by an ex-pat who was also the chef at its own restaurant. We absolutely loved it...but then we probably would fit into the stereotypical age group that is identified with the island. If you prefer things a little more upbeat then get a hotel down near the lido in Funchal. There is plenty to occupy you if you want to do sight seeing. You might even get to see a footy match, two teams Maritimo, we used to walk past their ground every day when walking into Funchal, and Nacional which is the team CR7 started with. There are plenty of island tours available, usually divided into three....east, west and central. Try to get to visit the top of the mountains the views are stunning! Go on the tour of the wine producers in Funchal and get to taste some of the Madeiras they have...absolutely delicious. You will be surprised when you see a real Madeira cake...more like Jamaica Ginger Cake. One point to note...try and avoid the time share dealers who frequent down on the quay side in Funchal...they usually use the ploy of getting you to enter a raffle...which you always ending up winning...but need to go and collect a prize at some resort.

The timeshare touts will have been out in force given that the huge Savoy Palace was completed this year.
Unless you really want the quiet like in Madeira, Funchal is the place to stay & it's also the sunniest part of the island. If you want a bit more life, the old town is better than the Porto Bay area. Day trip to Porto Santo island is an interesting option, also some of the 4x4tours if you want to see the island.
Good choice of food from cheap drinks & eats to reasonably priced fine dining.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Madeira on 14:24 - Jul 25 with 1604 viewsRyorry

Madeira on 13:47 - Jul 25 by Radlett_blue

The timeshare touts will have been out in force given that the huge Savoy Palace was completed this year.
Unless you really want the quiet like in Madeira, Funchal is the place to stay & it's also the sunniest part of the island. If you want a bit more life, the old town is better than the Porto Bay area. Day trip to Porto Santo island is an interesting option, also some of the 4x4tours if you want to see the island.
Good choice of food from cheap drinks & eats to reasonably priced fine dining.

Also the Botanical Gardens in Funchal, assuming still there - fantastic.

On the neg side, the island doesn't do beaches if that's the OP's thing - tho they may have created artifical beach areas since I was there.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2019 14:27]

Madeira on 14:55 - Jul 25 with 1576 viewsSaleAway

Madeira on 14:24 - Jul 25 by Ryorry

On the neg side, the island doesn't do beaches if that's the OP's thing - tho they may have created artifical beach areas since I was there.

Praia Machico is a beach created with imported moroccan sand... and there are a few other man made beaches now.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Madeira on 14:57 - Jul 25 with 1571 viewsScuzzer

Madeira on 14:24 - Jul 25 by Ryorry

Go to the gardens on the cable car then comedown on the Taboggan run. Triff.

Established 1968

Madeira on 15:01 - Jul 25 with 1562 viewsDarth_Koont

It's not exactly Ibiza. But it's a lovely and spectacular island.

I take it you'll be based in Funchal. Then I'd take the opportunity to have a bit of a "pensioner" holiday and get up to the levadas (inland viaduct system and have a wander around. If you're back in Funchal itself at night then there are bars and restaurants to get your groove on.

4 nights/days actually sounds perfect too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Madeira on 15:20 - Jul 25 with 1533 viewscaught-in-limbo

Yes.

Great weather.

For pensioners and good walkers.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Madeira on 14:59 - Jul 26 with 1430 viewsRyorry

Madeira on 14:55 - Jul 25 by SaleAway

Praia Machico is a beach created with imported moroccan sand... and there are a few other man made beaches now.

Sounds good - perhaps TWTD forumites should take a collective gentling-down break there, lounge around on our towels, sample the Madeira wine freebies & cool off in the briny!

Madeira on 15:23 - Jul 26 with 1408 viewsmojo

Great place for whale watching, seabirds and I would imagine sea fishing. As others have said if you like walking, gardens, hills, old people, cake and fortified wine then it is the place for you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024