Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trigger happy Twtdrs 08:04 - Jun 26 with 1332 viewsbluelagos

Read some funny stories on the other thread and wonder whether you'd have all fired me.

Ipswich v Charlton playoff first leg on a Thursday night (87?). Asked for night off work (part time job whilst doing A levels) to see match but bosses said no.

Threw a sickie and got rumbled. Evidence rock solid, but otherwise a reliable employee.

Do you sack me? (Got a verbal warning from memory)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:05 - Jun 26 with 1317 viewshomer_123

Sacked, you are a wrong'un Lagos! ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:08 - Jun 26 with 1304 viewsclive_baker

97 Shirley?

And no, for Town you’re forgiven.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:12 - Jun 26 with 1293 viewsbluelagos

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:08 - Jun 26 by clive_baker

97 Shirley?

And no, for Town you’re forgiven.

Wish it was. An old fart me. Defo late 80s

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:20 - Jun 26 with 1262 viewsGeoffSentence

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:12 - Jun 26 by bluelagos

Wish it was. An old fart me. Defo late 80s

The very first play-offs.

That was the one where we absolutely battered them at home but could not put the ball in the back of the net, drawing nil-nil. Then in the away leg we were fwcking awful, to the point that the crowd were singing "you're not trying anymore". Lost 2-1 with Steve McCall giving us a little hope in the last few minutes.

Amazing to think that there were 18,500 in attendance at Portman Road and just over 11,000 at Selhurst Park, and Charlton were a top flight club then.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:38 - Jun 26 with 1239 viewsFixed_It

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:20 - Jun 26 by GeoffSentence

That was the one where we absolutely battered them at home but could not put the ball in the back of the net, drawing nil-nil. Then in the away leg we were fwcking awful, to the point that the crowd were singing "you're not trying anymore". Lost 2-1 with Steve McCall giving us a little hope in the last few minutes.

Amazing to think that there were 18,500 in attendance at Portman Road and just over 11,000 at Selhurst Park, and Charlton were a top flight club then.

Don't want to be pedantic, but surely by definition top flight clubs don't feature in play-offs?
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 8:39]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:46 - Jun 26 with 1217 viewsSaleAway

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:38 - Jun 26 by Fixed_It

Don't want to be pedantic, but surely by definition top flight clubs don't feature in play-offs?

the first play-offs involved the first team above the relegation places in the top division, and 3 teams from the div below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Football_League_play-offs

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:47 - Jun 26 with 1215 viewsEwan_Oozami

- beaten to it! :-)

Interesting to see the three teams definitely relegated, that year, Leicester, Man City, Villa
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 8:51]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:47 - Jun 26 with 1214 viewsLeBlue

They did then - the bottom 2 (or three, can't remember) from the top flight were relegated with the next lowest joining in the play offs with the nearly promoted teams from below.
Login to get fewer ads

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:55 - Jun 26 with 1193 viewsHeathlander

I'd have given you a promotion. It showed you have passion that you risked your job over the Mighty Blue army.

A few years ago we had a team meeting in London with the new big boss, with overnight stay. She said we would all be going out for a pizza that evening. I said 'I'm not coming, it's England v Ukraine in the Euros and I am going to watch it."

Next day she called me out in front of everyone. Thought I was in for a rollocking. She said, "I just wanted to say well done to Heathlander, he was brave enough to say he was going to watch the football and follow his passion, even with a new boss. I like his style."

She's just been given an MBE in the latest honours list. Not that that is relevant :)
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 8:56]
Trigger happy Twtdrs on 17:29 - Jun 26 with 1019 viewsbluelagos

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 08:20 - Jun 26 by GeoffSentence

Second leg was on a Sunday, maybe 12 kixk off. Was early enough that the few hundred on the first train to Lomdon, missed the first half (most of it, despite a delayed kick off)

So I missed both Charlton goals and with 5 mins to go walked up the big terrace to get a spot near the exit, and missed our goal too.

Remember a lot of animosity towards Bobby Ferguson who I believe didnt have his contract renewed that summer.

Sh1t day all round.

Trigger happy Twtdrs on 18:01 - Jun 26 with 998 viewsJ2BLUE

I can't believe so many people take the day off sick after requesting leave. Talk about a flashing neon sign saying i'm lying.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024