Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
flat 12:15 - Sep 5 with 4136 viewstextbackup

In a strange way I always feel pretty flat after the EA derby games (a win would have helped im sure) especially the home ones, as I know that that's really it for the season in terms of a big crowd and great noise.
people have their reasons for not going, and I get that, but its pretty much nailed on that there will be no "scenes" like there was sunday until we play them away.

makes me long for a season in the prem, the pubs absolute rammed, people everywhere, I fcking loved it.

goes to show that we do still have that fan base, just need that one season up there to get a load back, and hooked

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

flat on 12:19 - Sep 5 with 3731 viewsitfcjoe

I don't understand where these extra 7-8k people come from, and then don't bother with any more games.

I can understand that maybe 2k come from further away so don't expect everyone to come every week - but we should be getting 21-22k every week, with north Lower full.

The only time it was like that was back end of 2014-15 season, so shows plenty will only come if we are in the top 6, and probably panicking about getting a play off semi or Wembley ticket

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

flat on 12:21 - Sep 5 with 3714 viewsSteve_M

Yes, 14/15 showed the support is there, the games in December and at the end of the season in particular, just needs to see a bit more to encourage attendance.

That probably means a genuine play-off push though. I do wonder what might have happened to attendances had we had the first half of last season under a new manager. I suspect they would have been higher given results and the better performances but too many had had enough of MM.

Get a run going, a few wins and I think we can get something positive going again though. Enough of us know that an atmosphere like Sunday makes football more fun but we can certainly get better than the last two or three years - as long as the team does enough on the pitch first.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

flat on 12:31 - Sep 5 with 3681 viewstextbackup

flat on 12:19 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

I don't understand where these extra 7-8k people come from, and then don't bother with any more games.

I can understand that maybe 2k come from further away so don't expect everyone to come every week - but we should be getting 21-22k every week, with north Lower full.

The only time it was like that was back end of 2014-15 season, so shows plenty will only come if we are in the top 6, and probably panicking about getting a play off semi or Wembley ticket

Big number of people were 40-55, they’ve seen pretty decent times as Town fans, and football being different in general.
It’s changed and we have been dull for so long that they need a reason to fall in love again

I guess

flat on 12:32 - Sep 5 with 3667 viewsitfcjoe

flat on 12:31 - Sep 5 by textbackup

Big number of people were 40-55, they’ve seen pretty decent times as Town fans, and football being different in general.
It’s changed and we have been dull for so long that they need a reason to fall in love again

I guess

But did they not enjoy Sunday enough to get tickets to another game soon?

flat on 12:47 - Sep 5 with 3601 viewsBig_Jase

flat on 12:32 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

I loved Sunday but I, along with lots of others in thier 20’s still play on Saturday afternoons, which unfortunately makes it impossible to go to Saturday games.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

flat on 12:48 - Sep 5 with 3591 viewsVaughan8

If people pick a handful of games, they are likely to pick the Norwich game. That might be some people's only game of the season.

It is our BIG game so I can see why the extra come. A game Vs Bolton doesn't really have the same feeling unfortunately.

Better football and not being bottom will bring some fans back. However at £30 a go (adult) in some areas, its still an expensive day out - 2 adults and 2 kids is probably £100 without any extras like travelling costs etc.

ALso forgot to add, due to the way the club has gone in the past 10 years (i.e. mostly just trying to rip the casual fan off), I would assume some people have found something better to do on a Saturday! A Sunday game therefore allows them to come.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 12:50]
flat on 12:50 - Sep 5 with 3578 viewsitfcjoe

flat on 12:47 - Sep 5 by Big_Jase

I loved Sunday but I, along with lots of others in thier 20’s still play on Saturday afternoons, which unfortunately makes it impossible to go to Saturday games.

That's fair, hadn't considered that one too

flat on 12:52 - Sep 5 with 3563 viewsFrimleyBlue

flat on 12:32 - Sep 5 by itfcjoe

Unfortunately I don't feel there was that much enjoyment to come out of Sundays game.
2 poor sides, struggled to get the win over the other.

A lot of the 'missing' aren't just turning up to support town, they're going for the game itself, and it wasn't exciting, edge of your seat football from either side.

Go back to the Burley, Joe years, even Magiltons, the football was slick, fast, successful ( to a point) But at the moment, whilst we may, may be defending well in open play, we're not that entertaining and this is why we'll continue to have the missing thousands for a while yet.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

flat on 12:58 - Sep 5 with 3527 viewsSouperJim

I know what you mean, it's great to see Portman Road really rocking they way it used to for the promotion pushes of the late 90s and then the glorious first season in the prem. If Hurst can get us competing at the right end of the table then it'll come back, a bit of a ways to go yet though!

With that said, even with 15k in the ground, you still get that handful of games per season when we nick a late winner, beat someone we probably shouldn't or give someone a pasting (hasn't happened much in the last few years admittedly) and the atmosphere is still great.

I sensed a tremendous amount of goodwill towards Hurst and this team in the North Stand on Sunday. I think there is plenty of patience for what we are trying to do amongst the vocal support and if we can just keep it moving in the right direction I feel this team will be backed far better than the last one.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

flat on 13:05 - Sep 5 with 3487 viewsJeff_winger

I only do a few games a year (although in 2014 /2015 I did about 10) because it costs me about £150 each game as i take the wife and kids,get the train and food plus kids always want to buy souvenirs.

I always do Norwich (if they are in our league) but then the other 2 games could be any team that falls on a Saturday when we are all about. if other people are similar to me then all the casuals will do norwich but spread the other games, and not necessarily go at the same time.
flat on 13:55 - Sep 5 with 3382 viewsTownly

Probably not a popular view but I think that £25-30 is fair for the casual fan who picks and chooses his games and would not or could not commit to a season ticket.

It compares equally with all other forms of live entertainment of the equivalent. Try a West End show, or even a show in a local theatre. Go to a day at the cricket or a day at the races, the Zoo or a leisure park.

Where I think the pricing is seriously amiss is in the family packaging. Two adults and a youngster, say, should be no more than £40 to give both an acceptable and affordable family day out and encourage younger support.
flat on 13:56 - Sep 5 with 3380 viewsTJS

I'm really not sure this "7-8k who don't turn up to any other games" thing is quite accurate.
Some of these 7-8k must go to other games as well as there are always some people who are not season ticket holders at every single other game.
The difference with Norwich is that all of them turn up to the same match.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 13:57]
flat on 14:09 - Sep 5 with 3349 viewsSuperfrans

flat on 12:52 - Sep 5 by FrimleyBlue

Unfortunately I don't feel there was that much enjoyment to come out of Sundays game.
2 poor sides, struggled to get the win over the other.

A lot of the 'missing' aren't just turning up to support town, they're going for the game itself, and it wasn't exciting, edge of your seat football from either side.

Go back to the Burley, Joe years, even Magiltons, the football was slick, fast, successful ( to a point) But at the moment, whilst we may, may be defending well in open play, we're not that entertaining and this is why we'll continue to have the missing thousands for a while yet.

I really, genuinely can't understand how anyone could go to a game like that, with that atmosphere and not enjoy it. The event, the derby itself, makes it edge of your seat, if you're a fan of either side.

Surely???

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

flat on 14:24 - Sep 5 with 3318 viewsTractorJack

flat on 14:09 - Sep 5 by Superfrans

I really, genuinely can't understand how anyone could go to a game like that, with that atmosphere and not enjoy it. The event, the derby itself, makes it edge of your seat, if you're a fan of either side.

Surely???

He didn't even go...
flat on 14:25 - Sep 5 with 3306 viewsFrimleyBlue

Surely???

I answered it within my reply... the game itself...

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

flat on 14:57 - Sep 5 with 3273 viewstextbackup

flat on 14:24 - Sep 5 by TractorJack

He didn't even go...

THank the lord for the ignore button, he’s been getting on my tits

flat on 15:18 - Sep 5 with 3224 views26_Paz

I, and several people I know like me, go to 5 or 6 games a season due to living away.
The Norwich game is always going to be one of these, as is Boxing Day (if we're at home).
I think there is a pool of say 8k who go semi regularly. Maybe 20 - 25% of these will go to any given random game and pretty much all of them will go to the derby.

The Paz Man

flat on 15:20 - Sep 5 with 3226 viewstextbackup

flat on 15:18 - Sep 5 by 26_Paz

I, and several people I know like me, go to 5 or 6 games a season due to living away.
The Norwich game is always going to be one of these, as is Boxing Day (if we're at home).
I think there is a pool of say 8k who go semi regularly. Maybe 20 - 25% of these will go to any given random game and pretty much all of them will go to the derby.

YEah exactly. No issues with that BTW, I just long for the days of PR being rammed weekly

flat on 15:22 - Sep 5 with 3214 viewsLuk38644

flat on 14:24 - Sep 5 by TractorJack

He didn't even go...

WTF.

So he's sitting here picking the bones out of meaningless stats and criticising the way we play yet didn't even go to the EA derby at PR?

That is pathetic.
flat on 16:12 - Sep 5 with 3152 viewsSamWhiteUK

flat on 14:57 - Sep 5 by textbackup

THank the lord for the ignore button, he’s been getting on my tits

Got to be the worst poster going at the moment. NEVER says a positive word
flat on 16:27 - Sep 5 with 3121 viewschicoazul

Bit like Suicide Tuesday after a weekend on the Mitsubishis innit.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

flat on 17:17 - Sep 5 with 3050 viewsITFC_Forever

We've always had a large-ish latent support who will come when we have a decent team and fade away a couple of seasons later when it goes back to being average.

Happened in the 1991-92 season and again in the late 90s / early 00's, and then again in 2014-15.

Ex-players I have spoken to have commented on this as well, that with ITFC, it seems to be very much the case that give the fans a decent team, and they will come in numbers.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

flat on 17:19 - Sep 5 with 3041 viewsReuser_is_God

Surely???

Plus it’s commonly known that derbies are often low on quality because of the occasion etc.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

flat on 20:18 - Sep 5 with 2916 viewsSlambo

Well texters (can I call you texters..?), this is what we at Blue Action are trying to address. Why can't we get a hardcore of people together, who sing and make a din whether it's Norwich in our back yard or Preston..? Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm: if, say, a 12 year old kid looks over and sees a group of people bouncing around, banging drums, waving flags and making a right racket, they're going to think - 'this is a fun place to be', and they'll want to return and recreate that. I certainly did when I was a nipper. At my first game, I can remember NOTHING (even had to look up the score many years later!) about the game: but the raucous, vociferous crowd is etched indelibly onto my psyche. Many people don't like to admit it, but football isn't f**king brilliant because it's inherently a better game than any other; it's because of the FANS...

We can talk about better quality of football and being back in the top flight - which would undoubtedly help - but ultimately it's down to US. If we want a loud, boisterous atmosphere, WE need to produce it...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

flat on 20:52 - Sep 5 with 2848 viewsSuperfrans

flat on 14:25 - Sep 5 by FrimleyBlue

I answered it within my reply... the game itself...

“The game itself” was really exciting. I went with about 6 others and met up with another 4 people after. We all really enjoyed it. The only negativity (a bit of a downer really) was one of two of us who thought we had the chance and should have won,

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024