Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trumps having another brain fart 12:11 - Jul 11 with 4322 viewsgiant_stow

.too many things going on to keep up at the moment!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Trumps having another brain fart on 12:57 - Jul 11 with 2900 viewsfactual_blue

You wrongly assume the existence of a brain.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:01 - Jul 11 with 2890 viewsJ2BLUE

Trump's base think he is doing a brilliant job.

You have to give him some credit for various things. The latest being his attack on the NATO spending. If you're an American republican it's brilliant that he is demanding other countries pay their share.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:09 - Jul 11 with 2863 viewsCaptainObvious

you mean he is telling the truth about NATO countries contributions and the truth about Germany's reliance on Russia?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:13 - Jul 11 with 2846 viewsRegencyBlue

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:01 - Jul 11 by J2BLUE

You have to give him some credit for various things. The latest being his attack on the NATO spending. If you're an American republican it's brilliant that he is demanding other countries pay their share.

On this occasion I think he is actually right!

Its how he goes about rectifying the situation which could cause problems!
Trumps having another brain fart on 13:31 - Jul 11 with 2811 viewsgiant_stow

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:09 - Jul 11 by CaptainObvious

you mean he is telling the truth about NATO countries contributions and the truth about Germany's reliance on Russia?

Its more the potential hypocrisy - what would Russia most love to result from this summit and who's doing their best to make it happen (and why)?
[Post edited 11 Jul 2018 13:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:32 - Jul 11 with 2808 viewsgiant_stow

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:13 - Jul 11 by RegencyBlue

On this occasion I think he is actually right!

Its how he goes about rectifying the situation which could cause problems!

The Americans have had a subservient Europe as payment for NATO spending - its not a one-sided deal.

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:38 - Jul 11 with 2787 viewsNo9

Trump is essentially on a trip to sell more American military equipment + gas
Trumps having another brain fart on 13:40 - Jul 11 with 2777 viewsgiant_stow

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:38 - Jul 11 by No9

bang on. Aren't they gonna try shipping liquefied gas to Europe?

Login to get fewer ads

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:42 - Jul 11 with 2763 viewsGlasgowBlue

He makes a fair point.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:42 - Jul 11 with 2765 viewsNo9

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:40 - Jul 11 by giant_stow

bang on. Aren't they gonna try shipping liquefied gas to Europe?

After they relaxed the self imposed laws and have turned their back on other obligations that is a desire.
Trumps having another brain fart on 13:44 - Jul 11 with 2762 viewsgiant_stow

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:42 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

He makes a fair point.

well this was more controversial than I thought! You wrong mr!

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:45 - Jul 11 with 2760 viewsghostofescobar

I think I must be having one as well, as I can see where he's coming from. And I hate myself for it (retreats to a field for a bit of self-flagellation). My normal reaction to anything Trump says begins with "you c0ck...", but on this one I went "you c......oh, actually I can see something in that one".

GhostOfEscobar

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:47 - Jul 11 with 2752 viewsGlasgowBlue

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:42 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

He makes a fair point.

I assume this is about his NATO comments? Can't see how folk can disagree with the point he is making.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:48 - Jul 11 with 2747 viewsNo9

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:44 - Jul 11 by giant_stow

well this was more controversial than I thought! You wrong mr!

It becomes even more controversial when one looks at military restrictions placed on some countries by America & allies after WW2
Trumps having another brain fart on 13:51 - Jul 11 with 2734 viewsHennikerBlu

Are you referring to:

1. Germanys dealing with Russia for fuel and a pipeline (I think?) bypassing poorer economically European countries which currently benefit from transit fees? How does this work with the EU's current position regarding the Ukraine/Crimea?

And/or

2. Are you referring to the fact that most EU countries do not pay the NATO agreed 2% of GDP on defence (apart from the UK)?

Is he wrong to highlight these issues?

I think it's important to appreciate the US frustration when it has pretty much guaranteed the safety of Europe since 1945. Europe nowhere near has the capability with conventional forces to deal with a significant threat from any of the super powers.

France and Germany have not always seen 'eye to eye' with the US in some of its foreign enterprises, which coupled with these latest developments does make the future of NATO in Europe less tangible and more likely that the EU will 'further' develop its independent military strategy and arms industry.
Trumps having another brain fart on 13:52 - Jul 11 with 2728 viewsStokieBlue

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:01 - Jul 11 by J2BLUE

It's also just about the only thing he's actually right on.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:53 - Jul 11 with 2719 viewsStokieBlue

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:32 - Jul 11 by giant_stow

The Americans have had a subservient Europe as payment for NATO spending - its not a one-sided deal.

That's really not true though ullaa, can you expand on how Europe has been subservient to the US as I don't think it's true.

SB

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:58 - Jul 11 with 2704 viewsNo9

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:51 - Jul 11 by HennikerBlu

Are you referring to:

1. Germanys dealing with Russia for fuel and a pipeline (I think?) bypassing poorer economically European countries which currently benefit from transit fees? How does this work with the EU's current position regarding the Ukraine/Crimea?

And/or

2. Are you referring to the fact that most EU countries do not pay the NATO agreed 2% of GDP on defence (apart from the UK)?

Is he wrong to highlight these issues?

I think it's important to appreciate the US frustration when it has pretty much guaranteed the safety of Europe since 1945. Europe nowhere near has the capability with conventional forces to deal with a significant threat from any of the super powers.

France and Germany have not always seen 'eye to eye' with the US in some of its foreign enterprises, which coupled with these latest developments does make the future of NATO in Europe less tangible and more likely that the EU will 'further' develop its independent military strategy and arms industry.

Germany does take a lot of gas from Russia but ot can & does also tap into the stuff from the M.E that comes into the EU from the M.E. via Turkey - one of the reasons Turkey is important, & from N. Africa via Italy.
Germany & other EU countries have access to LNG via new re-gas terminals so they are nowhere near as reliant on Russian gas as trump suggests.

The point about what EU countries is valid but per the question I asked how much of this is due to restrictions placed after WW2 & would it mean relaxing any such restrictions IF the militaria is bought from the Americans?
Trumps having another brain fart on 14:00 - Jul 11 with 2701 viewschicoazul

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:32 - Jul 11 by giant_stow

NATO is a cold war relic. Why do we even bother with it now?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:02 - Jul 11 with 2695 viewsStokieBlue

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:00 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

Because Europe doesn't want to pay for it's defence?

It's also not entirely true, it serves a purpose for smaller countries. For instance, if Ukraine was a member I doubt Russia would have waltzed in and done whatever they liked.

SB

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:05 - Jul 11 with 2691 viewsNo9

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:00 - Jul 11 by chicoazul

This may be a first you agreeing with Mr Corbyn who was accused by the government this morning of wanting to get rid of NATO?
Interesting
Trumps having another brain fart on 14:05 - Jul 11 with 2690 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:38 - Jul 11 by No9

Although, beautifully ironically, they themselves appear to be heavily dependent on imported fossil energy.

But when did little things like context worry Trumpy

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:06 - Jul 11 with 2687 viewsgiant_stow

Trumps having another brain fart on 13:53 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

That's really not true though ullaa, can you expand on how Europe has been subservient to the US as I don't think it's true.

SB

Well, I'm being thoroughly shot down here innit!

I would say that the fact Europe's armed forces are so weak and dependent on America is proof of subservience. An independently strong Europe would carry more weight in the world - we might not feel the need to join in with stupid wars like Iraq2 if we didn't need to suck up.

The NATO arrangement also suited the yanks perfectly when it was to protect against spreading communism - so again, their spending was self-interested there.

Countries like Germany or Japan hosting tens of thousands of troops is also quite a nice way of exercising power in itself.

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:11 - Jul 11 with 2677 viewsStokieBlue

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:06 - Jul 11 by giant_stow

I would say that the fact Europe's armed forces are so weak and dependent on America is proof of subservience. An independently strong Europe would carry more weight in the world - we might not feel the need to join in with stupid wars like Iraq2 if we didn't need to suck up.

The NATO arrangement also suited the yanks perfectly when it was to protect against spreading communism - so again, their spending was self-interested there.

Countries like Germany or Japan hosting tens of thousands of troops is also quite a nice way of exercising power in itself.

I disagree. Europes armed forces are so comparibly weak because they decided to spend the money giving their citizens a better standard of life knowing they were under the US umbrella whilst US citizens didn't get those benefits because they were paying for the European citizens defence.

That's not subservience, if anything it's parasitic (althought I wouldn't go that far myself).

The Europeans needed NATO to protect them from the USSR, independently they had absolutely no chance of stopping any attacks so surely it suited the Europeans more than the Americans who were quite safe? I would argue that continued existence as an independent country outweights the worry of the spread of communism.

SB

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:13 - Jul 11 with 2668 viewsNo9

Trumps having another brain fart on 14:06 - Jul 11 by giant_stow

The point is that America has tried very hard to make Europe subservient and has not hesitated in damaging European interests where it thinks appropriate.

It is obvious that Trump is on a sales missoin which, if it falls flat will mean a number of difficulties for the EU.

It should not go unoticed that many of they in the brexit group have not been slow to side with the American right (who are behind this) via some organisations such as Atlantic bridge, now in name defunct- but not I fear, in spirit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024