Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Belgium........ 08:15 - Jun 25 with 2405 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.......could become a 'yellow card off' for second place with a 0-0 draw to boot! What fun! Or maybe not.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

England v Belgium........ on 08:28 - Jun 25 with 2375 viewsitfcjoe

Both teams will want to win.

They may make change, most likely will, but those players coming in will be desperate to impress to play in latter stages.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

England v Belgium........ on 08:40 - Jun 25 with 2340 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

England v Belgium........ on 08:28 - Jun 25 by itfcjoe

Both teams will want to win.

They may make change, most likely will, but those players coming in will be desperate to impress to play in latter stages.

Hope you're right but second place looks the best route as things stand.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

England v Belgium........ on 08:43 - Jun 25 with 2330 viewsReuser_is_God

England v Belgium........ on 08:40 - Jun 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

I’d like to avoid Columbia.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

England v Belgium........ on 08:51 - Jun 25 with 2315 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yes second place would ensure we don’t face a top team until the semis. First could see us face Germany or Brazil in the quarters.

We have a young exciting team but we lack experience. This young exciting team is capable of turning on a world class performance and shocking any of the big guns. Unfortunately I don’t think they are capable of doing that over three consecutive games against the world’s elite.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

England v Belgium........ on 08:56 - Jun 25 with 2306 viewsLord_Lucan

England v Belgium........ on 08:51 - Jun 25 by GlasgowBlue

Yes second place would ensure we don’t face a top team until the semis. First could see us face Germany or Brazil in the quarters.

We have a young exciting team but we lack experience. This young exciting team is capable of turning on a world class performance and shocking any of the big guns. Unfortunately I don’t think they are capable of doing that over three consecutive games against the world’s elite.

Personally I see it like this.

To win the cup you have to get rid of everyone else. Are we looking to win it or just get to the semis?

We have a fearless young side - largely due to Southgates refreshing approach to the tournament, I think we ought to attempt to win every game.

Momentum and confidence is the key.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

England v Belgium........ on 09:01 - Jun 25 with 2294 viewsGlasgowBlue

England v Belgium........ on 08:56 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

To win the cup you have to get rid of everyone else. Are we looking to win it or just get to the semis?

We have a fearless young side - largely due to Southgates refreshing approach to the tournament, I think we ought to attempt to win every game.

If we can avoid an elite team until the semis, and beat them, then we are in the final. And then anything can happen.

Iron Lion Zion

England v Belgium........ on 09:16 - Jun 25 with 2257 viewstractordownsouth

England v Belgium........ on 09:01 - Jun 25 by GlasgowBlue

If we can avoid an elite team until the semis, and beat them, then we are in the final. And then anything can happen.

Oh Glassers please stop I'm trying to stay level headed about our chances

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

England v Belgium........ on 09:22 - Jun 25 with 2237 viewsGlasgowBlue

England v Belgium........ on 09:16 - Jun 25 by tractordownsouth

Oh Glassers please stop I'm trying to stay level headed about our chances

Our defence hasn’t been tested by a decent front line. That should bring me back down to earth.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

England v Belgium........ on 09:23 - Jun 25 with 2237 viewsLord_Lucan

England v Belgium........ on 09:01 - Jun 25 by GlasgowBlue

Maybe but I think confidence is key and if The Belgians beat us they have to face other teams knowing they didn't, or couldn't beat The Belgians.

Anyhoo, I don't see how you can go into a game not aiming to win, by playing an unnatural game you can pick up injuries easier. I do see the value of rotating the side but whatever team he picks needs to go out to win.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

England v Belgium........ on 09:24 - Jun 25 with 2230 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

There are no duds left in the tournament by the time you get to the Quarter Finals.. So IF we make it that far, the opposition is irrelevant.

The only thing England can control is England.. So try and win all your matches and deal with who comes next.. With the confidence that we can give anyone a good test.
England v Belgium........ on 09:52 - Jun 25 with 2162 viewsStokieBlue

We should try and win every match and keep momentum.

In the end the winner will need to beat good teams.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

England v Belgium........ on 10:02 - Jun 25 with 2147 viewsfarkenhell

England v Belgium........ on 09:23 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

Maybe but I think confidence is key and if The Belgians beat us they have to face other teams knowing they didn't, or couldn't beat The Belgians.

Anyhoo, I don't see how you can go into a game not aiming to win, by playing an unnatural game you can pick up injuries easier. I do see the value of rotating the side but whatever team he picks needs to go out to win.

I agree he should pick an attacking formation and go for the win. We have qualified for the knock-out stage, so we really have nothing to lose (and, anyway, we are second guessing as to who will finish 1st and 2nd in group H).

Confidence and momentum are important. However, in these circumstances, limiting fatigue, avoiding injuries and suspensions are probably more important if we want to progress beyond the last 16 and as far as possible. Remember that the games will continue to come at a rate of roughly two per week until the final, including the likelihood of extra time somewhere along the way.

Personally, I would change the entire starting 11 against Belgium. If we win or draw, fantastic. If we lose, then the whole first-choice 11 will be available for the last 16 game (save for any injuries in training) and we should be more refreshed than our opponents. That team should still have momentum from the Panama game, which will have been played just over a week before.

The Belgium game is a dead rubber. i hope he uses it wisely.
England v Belgium........ on 10:08 - Jun 25 with 2133 viewsuefacup81

England v Belgium........ on 10:02 - Jun 25 by farkenhell

I agree he should pick an attacking formation and go for the win. We have qualified for the knock-out stage, so we really have nothing to lose (and, anyway, we are second guessing as to who will finish 1st and 2nd in group H).

Confidence and momentum are important. However, in these circumstances, limiting fatigue, avoiding injuries and suspensions are probably more important if we want to progress beyond the last 16 and as far as possible. Remember that the games will continue to come at a rate of roughly two per week until the final, including the likelihood of extra time somewhere along the way.

Personally, I would change the entire starting 11 against Belgium. If we win or draw, fantastic. If we lose, then the whole first-choice 11 will be available for the last 16 game (save for any injuries in training) and we should be more refreshed than our opponents. That team should still have momentum from the Panama game, which will have been played just over a week before.

The Belgium game is a dead rubber. i hope he uses it wisely.

No need for second-guessing - we'll be playing once Group H has been decided, so if we wanted to we could decide our game plan based on who we'd rather face.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

England v Belgium........ on 10:18 - Jun 25 with 2118 viewsIpswichKnight

England v Belgium........ on 09:52 - Jun 25 by StokieBlue

We should try and win every match and keep momentum.

In the end the winner will need to beat good teams.

SB

Indeed I'd only make 3 changes

Cahill in for Maguire
Rose in for Young
Rashford in for Sterling

Nothing in Group H scares me, Colombia look great going forward, Japan are another well organised team but look so rigid and formulated don't think they would cope with us coming with pace from out wide and through the middle, Senegal look pacey but again suspect at the back. I don't fear having to play any of Brazil ( bang average even with Neymar ) Germany or Mexico later.

We are not perfect you can get at us with balls whipped in behind Walker and we can be hit on the counter by over reaching when we attack, we do look a bit clueless when a team parks the bus or when they flood the midfield.
England v Belgium........ on 10:31 - Jun 25 with 2093 viewsfarkenhell

England v Belgium........ on 10:08 - Jun 25 by uefacup81

No need for second-guessing - we'll be playing once Group H has been decided, so if we wanted to we could decide our game plan based on who we'd rather face.

Thanks. I hadn't realised our game starts after group H on Thursday.

Back to the points made by Lucan and others about the importance of winning. Now I'm really not sure. Ordinarily I would agree that winning/momentum is key for confidence building. However, if he plays a reserve team against Belgium, I think that becomes much less of an issue.

If Columbia should finish second and if both Belgium and England would prefer to play Japan, could we really have the scenario where both teams are desperate to lose? Could be something of an "own-goal fest"!
England v Belgium........ on 10:38 - Jun 25 with 2079 viewsLord_Lucan

England v Belgium........ on 10:31 - Jun 25 by farkenhell

Thanks. I hadn't realised our game starts after group H on Thursday.

Back to the points made by Lucan and others about the importance of winning. Now I'm really not sure. Ordinarily I would agree that winning/momentum is key for confidence building. However, if he plays a reserve team against Belgium, I think that becomes much less of an issue.

If Columbia should finish second and if both Belgium and England would prefer to play Japan, could we really have the scenario where both teams are desperate to lose? Could be something of an "own-goal fest"!

These are professional sportsmen, they will go out to win, suggesting anything else is daft IMHO.

Anyhoo, some people also seem to be thinking about the Belgian result with a view to who we could face in the quarter finals.

That's just madness to me.

Totally agree on 10:40 - Jun 25 with 2070 viewsDyland

England v Belgium........ on 08:56 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

I never look at rankings or stats or history when it comes to the national team at the World Cup or even Euros. If we get to the QF, and that's still a very definite if of course, and lose to a better team on the day, that's no great shakes and means no less to me than if the same happened in the SF.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

England v Belgium........ on 10:54 - Jun 25 with 2042 viewsfarkenhell

England v Belgium........ on 10:38 - Jun 25 by Lord_Lucan

These are professional sportsmen, they will go out to win, suggesting anything else is daft IMHO.

Anyhoo, some people also seem to be thinking about the Belgian result with a view to who we could face in the quarter finals.

That's just madness to me.

I agree it is rather stupid to look beyond the last 16 at the moment. However, on a straight toss up between Columbia and Japan and based on what I've seen of both teams so far, I would prefer us to face Japan. They are no mugs, however Columbia were very impressive yesterday and, I thought, the stronger team for much of the game between both sides, even though they played most of that match with 10 men.

I do agree with you that, to win it, you have to beat everyone you play. However, I am just looking at the next match (after the dead rubber).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024