Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? 22:16 - Jun 13 with 1927 viewswkj

The obvious one is winning the cup, but what in your heart of hearts would count as the line where failure turns to success?

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:21 - Jun 13 with 1905 viewsFtnfwest

Quarters which would better our world ranking (although that’s too high really)
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:23 - Jun 13 with 1903 viewswkj

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:21 - Jun 13 by Ftnfwest

Quarters which would better our world ranking (although that’s too high really)

i was thinking qf too, though i have the usual misplaced optimism. i would love for southgate to win though, good young hungry manager n that... poor typing due to cat

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:28 - Jun 13 with 1896 viewstractorshark

For me, it’s reaching the quarter-finals if not the semis.
Harsh, I know. But I think the quarter-finals is realistic and should be the minimum we expect from our national team at any major tournament.
I’m fed up with people saying it would be nice just to get out of the group this time.
That’s not the England I grew up with
The expections then were always the quarter-finals at least. Sometimes it happened, sometimes not.
But look at the players we have at our disposal and the money they earn and are sold for.
If Kane, Alli, Sterling etc are truly worth that, go out and prove it on the biggest stage.
I think we will reach the last eight, I like Southgate and the squad is fearless and exciting.
We’re not as good as some but we should believe in ourselves.
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:37 - Jun 13 with 1868 viewsFtnfwest

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:28 - Jun 13 by tractorshark

For me, it’s reaching the quarter-finals if not the semis.
Harsh, I know. But I think the quarter-finals is realistic and should be the minimum we expect from our national team at any major tournament.
I’m fed up with people saying it would be nice just to get out of the group this time.
That’s not the England I grew up with
The expections then were always the quarter-finals at least. Sometimes it happened, sometimes not.
But look at the players we have at our disposal and the money they earn and are sold for.
If Kane, Alli, Sterling etc are truly worth that, go out and prove it on the biggest stage.
I think we will reach the last eight, I like Southgate and the squad is fearless and exciting.
We’re not as good as some but we should believe in ourselves.

It’s all about the managers approach I think. Over the years I wouldn’t say that too many people would argue with team selections as generally successive managers pick the best 11 players, but they have never picked the best team and I think there are at least signs that Southgate has a plan he’s working to in that respect. The worry is how he reacts to varying tactics by the opposition.
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:42 - Jun 13 with 1862 viewsconnorscontract

I felt massively proud of Ipswich at Carrow Lane in the Play Offs, even though we lost, just as I did at Anfield many years previously when we gave Liverpool a real game and Gavin Johnson scored one of my all time favourite goals.

It's not necessarily about the result, or which stage of the competition we reach, is it?

If they play well and give everything that is worth more to me than having the player who trips up in a way which convinces the ref to give us a dodgy penalty and sneaks us through even though we played dreary football.

Unless it's against Argentina, obviously. We owe them.
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:44 - Jun 13 with 1857 viewswkj

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:42 - Jun 13 by connorscontract

I felt massively proud of Ipswich at Carrow Lane in the Play Offs, even though we lost, just as I did at Anfield many years previously when we gave Liverpool a real game and Gavin Johnson scored one of my all time favourite goals.

It's not necessarily about the result, or which stage of the competition we reach, is it?

If they play well and give everything that is worth more to me than having the player who trips up in a way which convinces the ref to give us a dodgy penalty and sneaks us through even though we played dreary football.

Unless it's against Argentina, obviously. We owe them.

You are entirely correct, though the world cup usually has a massive results by numbers effect on a lot of people, you know how our press is to, if we some how went out at the groups but played dazzling footie, they would be baying for blood.

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:54 - Jun 13 with 1842 viewsclive_baker

I think it’s in part how we go about it. I want to see us play attacking football, with a plan and a style. Creating chances, taking the game to opponents and playing without fear which has so often been missing from England sides in major tournaments. I’ve been really impressed with us under Southgate and we seem to only be getting stronger. Given the opposition and likely last 16 opponents, if we get to the 1/4’s and go out to a Germany or Brazil while giving a good account of ourselves then that’ll do for me. Would be nice to be involved in 5 of the 7 rounds of matches, with only 4 sides being able to say they bettered that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:59 - Jun 13 with 1837 viewsgmanrom

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:23 - Jun 13 by wkj

i was thinking qf too, though i have the usual misplaced optimism. i would love for southgate to win though, good young hungry manager n that... poor typing due to cat

To feel how I felt in 86 90 and 96 that would make me proud.

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

Login to get fewer ads

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 23:17 - Jun 13 with 1819 viewswkj

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 22:59 - Jun 13 by gmanrom

To feel how I felt in 86 90 and 96 that would make me proud.

You are not wrong at all. Being an England fan and a Town fan are very interchangeable, both shadows of our former selves, wanting to see better football and to be seen as giving it a good go and putting on a decent display.

What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 23:34 - Jun 13 with 1807 viewsxrayspecs

I wIll echo some of the other posters who have commented earlier.

For me it is not about how far we go in the tournament (I would love us to win obviously), but how well we play and how much I am entertained.

If England set up to play positive, entertaining football and every player leaves nothing on the pitch at the end of each and every game, I will be happy. Where we land in the tournament will be down to how good we are versus other sides and a bit of luck.

No different to Town really. I want us to set up to win matches and entertain. I want o go home after the match longing for the next fixture. I would rather finish 12th with a season full of good performances and memories to share with fellow Town fans, than for us to be dull to watch and finish 6th.

One of the big lies in football is it is all about the result. While this is true to managers, owners, sponsors and probably the players, it is not the case for most fans.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 23:39]
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 12:50 - Jun 14 with 1597 viewsTJS

If we make the quarter-final and give whoever we get a good go I will be happy.
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 13:55 - Jun 14 with 1530 viewsWD19

Exciting football and ideally beat someone we don't expect to beat.

To be truly proud I think that probably means getting to a semi.

Quarters is in the 'perfectly respectable' category.
What would it take you to feel England did us proud? on 14:14 - Jun 14 with 1507 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't really care to be honest. If we do well, then great. But if not I'm not particularly fussed even if we bomb out at the group stages. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some exciting matches whoever is playing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024