Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to get something off my chest 16:58 - Jun 13 with 7373 viewsDanFord

The World Cup win in 1966. I just can't be proud of it. There is absolutely no way the whole of the ball crossed the line when we went 3-2 up. I've seen it a thousand times and it looks like 80% of the ball was over but there was still a bit that hadn't gone in. So for me, I am proud that we won it, but not that proud because it feels a little tainted. You could argue that we may have won it in 1986 if we hadn't been cheated by Maradona or in 1998 when Campbell's perfectly good goal against the Argie's was ruled out. As I say, you never know. But to have only won the big prize once and for it to be that controversial bothers me. When we won the UEFA Cup, the League, the FA Cup we did it fair and square. It's always annoyed me that England didn't win the final in the correct manner, by the ball clearly crossing the line. Am I alone here? I expect so!

PS - I have seen the videos that claim to reconstruct it and they show it was over the line, but without the cameras in place at the time, these reconstructions can be flawed. The best photo I have ever seen of it showed that landed on the grass of the white line. The reconstructions tend to show it a fraction after it bounced up, where there is then a gap which makes it look like it has crossed the line as you can see a gap between the line and the ball.

*ADDENDUM - While all the downvotes FFS. It's how I feel about it! I'm also not trying to troll. See the videos below for where I am coming from. The best angle that they have seems to suggest it was nowhere near over the line.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 17:06]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Time to get something off my chest on 17:00 - Jun 13 with 4283 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Time to get something off my chest on 17:04 - Jun 13 with 4263 viewsDanFord

Time to get something off my chest on 17:00 - Jun 13 by Kieran_Knows

When have I ever trolled on here. I am regularly on at those that do. I genuinely don't think the ball crossed the line and it annoys me that the one time we've won it has any question over it at all. You can't argue that there isn't still a massive 'was it' or 'wasn't it'. In all the build ups to the world cup I have seen, 52 years on people still debate it! I'm just saying I'd feel a lot happier if it had almost taken the net off and there was never any doubt.

This angle suggests it was nowhere near. You won't get a better angle than that.

It seems to suggest that this is nonsense:
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 17:05]

Time to get something off my chest on 17:06 - Jun 13 with 4246 viewsITFC_Forever

The Argentinian goalkeeper was fouled by Shearer.... although you would often get away with it.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Time to get something off my chest on 17:08 - Jun 13 with 4237 viewsJ2BLUE

You're like Dean Bowditch. Quality when you debuted but gone downhill ever since.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Time to get something off my chest on 17:09 - Jun 13 with 4233 viewsSuperfrans

It landed on the line. But we got a fourth goal, so the whole argument is moot imho...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Time to get something off my chest on 17:09 - Jun 13 with 4227 viewsSteve_M

Has Truce borrowed your account?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Time to get something off my chest on 17:10 - Jun 13 with 4219 viewsMullet

Time to get something off my chest on 17:06 - Jun 13 by ITFC_Forever

The Argentinian goalkeeper was fouled by Shearer.... although you would often get away with it.

Shearer didn't play in '66 old boy. Was Geoff Hurst up top.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Time to get something off my chest on 17:12 - Jun 13 with 4204 viewsDanFord

Time to get something off my chest on 17:08 - Jun 13 by J2BLUE

You're like Dean Bowditch. Quality when you debuted but gone downhill ever since.

I was only ever good because the TWTD equivalent of Lenny Pidgeley gifted me a couple.

Login to get fewer ads

Time to get something off my chest on 17:14 - Jun 13 with 4201 viewshomer_123

You miss the point of football (sport) at its purest.

It's these moments that make matches - it's the talking points, the water cooler moments. Over 50 years on and we still debate whether it was over the line or not.

Personally, this is why I'm no fan of technology for the use of stuff like this - poor decisions, hand balls, goals that aren't goals, goals that should be goals, sendings off etc. There's a move to santise and remove this stuff (as there is now too much riding on it) but that's a bad bad move.

I love that fact we won it with a possible goal that wasn't. However, we won it - that's it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Time to get something off my chest on 17:16 - Jun 13 with 4182 viewsDanFord

Time to get something off my chest on 17:14 - Jun 13 by homer_123

It's these moments that make matches - it's the talking points, the water cooler moments. Over 50 years on and we still debate whether it was over the line or not.

Personally, this is why I'm no fan of technology for the use of stuff like this - poor decisions, hand balls, goals that aren't goals, goals that should be goals, sendings off etc. There's a move to santise and remove this stuff (as there is now too much riding on it) but that's a bad bad move.

I love that fact we won it with a possible goal that wasn't. However, we won it - that's it.

Absolutely and like I say I am proud we won it, but it feels slightly tarnished because there is that doubt and other World Cup finals like 1998 and 2002 and 1978 were just settled. Much rather we'd have just thumped them and not had any controversy over the final itself, especially at 2-2. Did they have penalties back then? Can you imagine if we'd beaten them on pens what might have happened. Euro 99, Italia 90 ......... maybe it would have been them that crumbled in those situations instead!

Time to get something off my chest on 17:18 - Jun 13 with 4167 viewsSuperfrans

Time to get something off my chest on 17:14 - Jun 13 by homer_123

Indeed.

The extension of this is to say Argentina didn't win the World Cup because of Diego's handball. Which would be crazy.

Or England didn't go out against Germany in 2010 because of Frank Lampard's goal that wasn't.

It is what it is. Once the moment has gone, you have to accept it. It is what makes the game so great.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Time to get something off my chest on 17:20 - Jun 13 with 4149 viewsDanFord

Time to get something off my chest on 17:18 - Jun 13 by Superfrans

Indeed.

The extension of this is to say Argentina didn't win the World Cup because of Diego's handball. Which would be crazy.

Or England didn't go out against Germany in 2010 because of Frank Lampard's goal that wasn't.

It is what it is. Once the moment has gone, you have to accept it. It is what makes the game so great.

I'm aware it's just me but if we'd have done this in the semi and got to the final and then won it how we won the semi I'd not have an issue. I don't care about these calls getting to the final. Just rankles a bit that it settled it in extra time at 2-2, instead of being the third goal late on in a 3-0 win for example.

Time to get something off my chest on 17:20 - Jun 13 with 4148 viewsFtnfwest

The only angle I've ever seen it from which seemed to show it over the line was the same view the linesman had (or at least from over his shoulder) so can understand why he gave it. All other views seem to show it not over the line or inconclusive. Still we never worried about Danny Haynes punch v nodge
Time to get something off my chest on 17:21 - Jun 13 with 4138 viewsDanFord

Time to get something off my chest on 17:20 - Jun 13 by Ftnfwest

The only angle I've ever seen it from which seemed to show it over the line was the same view the linesman had (or at least from over his shoulder) so can understand why he gave it. All other views seem to show it not over the line or inconclusive. Still we never worried about Danny Haynes punch v nodge

I don't care about Haynes handball because we've won plenty of times against Norwich fair and square. If it was the only time we'd beaten them it would bother me.

Time to get something off my chest on 17:25 - Jun 13 with 4113 viewsTJS

We scored again so it didn't matter.
My mum is German and her father and brother were both happy that England won fair and square as it was not the deciding goal.
I slightly see where you are coming from but you could probably apply this logic to every single win in a final.
What about Klose playing for Germany in the 2014 final.
As far as I'm concerned he is Polish as he was born in Poland and both his parents are Polish.
Does that 'taint' their win ?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 17:26]
Time to get something off my chest on 17:25 - Jun 13 with 4104 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm with you brother, but for different reasons.

I can't feel proud because it had absolutely nothing to do with me. I was just a twinge in Papa's loins.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Time to get something off my chest on 17:38 - Jun 13 with 4053 viewsm14_blue

I would perhaps have a smidgeon of sympathy for your viewpoint if the controversy had been us cheating (like Maradona 86 or Henry v Ireland), but the mistake, if it was one, was not of our doing.

It's part of the game.
Time to get something off my chest on 17:39 - Jun 13 with 4047 viewsstrikalite

Let it go, you have decisions go for you(in this case in your opinion)and against you, plenty against us, Lampard's goal that never was was 18 inches over the line, the hand of god....etc etc..

I'm not proud, proud is the wrong word, it was 42 years ago so we're hardly all walking around with our head held high :), we should now feel slightly embarrassed that we've never really come close to winning it again.
Time to get something off my chest on 17:52 - Jun 13 with 4003 viewsPendejo

WTF? 52years ago man.

Ok, here goes. Roger Hunt turns and celebrates the goal = ball over line. He was nearest to it, boy do I wish he had made sure by slamming it in. All his fault.

Besides we scored another, on the counter & whether 2-2 or 3-2, they'd still be going for the win. So it is still a pure win. Untainted.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Time to get something off my chest on 17:57 - Jun 13 with 3978 viewsFtnfwest

Time to get something off my chest on 17:21 - Jun 13 by DanFord

I don't care about Haynes handball because we've won plenty of times against Norwich fair and square. If it was the only time we'd beaten them it would bother me.

We've beaten Germany fair and square plenty of times as well so I equally don't care
Time to get something off my chest on 18:50 - Jun 13 with 3865 viewsbluejacko

Time to get something off my chest on 17:25 - Jun 13 by SpruceMoose

I'm with you brother, but for different reasons.

I can't feel proud because it had absolutely nothing to do with me. I was just a twinge in Papa's loins.

On that line of reasoning do you actually feel proud little old Ipswich won the div1 title in 62 ?because you wasn’t around for that either!
Time to get something off my chest on 19:04 - Jun 13 with 3838 viewsBrixtonBlue

Time to get something off my chest on 17:39 - Jun 13 by strikalite

Let it go, you have decisions go for you(in this case in your opinion)and against you, plenty against us, Lampard's goal that never was was 18 inches over the line, the hand of god....etc etc..

I'm not proud, proud is the wrong word, it was 42 years ago so we're hardly all walking around with our head held high :), we should now feel slightly embarrassed that we've never really come close to winning it again.

Your maths is worse than mine!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Time to get something off my chest on 19:06 - Jun 13 with 3835 viewsBrixtonBlue

Roger Hunt following up wheels away celebrating rather than making sure. That's all you need to know.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Time to get something off my chest on 19:36 - Jun 13 with 3769 viewstiptreeblue

Are you Scottish?
Time to get something off my chest on 19:44 - Jun 13 with 3743 viewsjaykay

Time to get something off my chest on 17:39 - Jun 13 by strikalite

great i'm only 58 not 68

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024