Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm looking for a silver lining 10:09 - Jan 5 with 836 viewsFinidiCentenary

Hi all,

I've been reading long enough to know the drill. The answer is Brie.

I'm finding it difficult to see any real silver lining at the moment, other than the timing of the Moore sale and the probable sale of Bart in the next few days. The only positive I can see is that it gives us time to reinvest the funds, but with Mick already having been backed in the summer to a generous degree for Evans level of investment in players, with McCarthy possible leaving and with the season arguably over with no real chance of going up or down bar an amazing run of good or bad results, it makes no real sense to reinvest now.

Surely we will go down the loan route, which makes sense in the wider scheme of things if McCarthy is off. But surely it would make more sense, long term, to use the £750,000 from Moore as a 'bonus' given we've made a £740,000 profit, agree a settlement with McCarthy from that and buy someone like Nathan Jones at Luton out of his contract. This gives the new manager 6 months to see what he has, what he can do with the players under contract and identify players to bring in that could improve the squad, without the risk of relegation or being under immediate supporter pressure. We then still have £4m from Bart to add a few million into the deficit and a few million for the new manager to find lower league stars, which is why someone like Jones would be ideal.

If we do, as I fear will be the case lose our best player (Bart), best technical and bums off seats player (McGoldrick) and one of our must promising, intriguing players (Moore), replace them with loans (which to some degree all make sense if McCarthy is staying until the summer), then the atmosphere will go from toxic to nuclear.

I do feel for Mick in some ways, as we were in and around the playoffs not long ago, but a freak number of injuries has put paid to that. There just seems no sense at all keeping him now unless we want to lose more through season ticket sales than it would cost to pay him off now. It's so sad to witness. I'd like to think Evans has a coherent plan but history tells us we'd be naïve to think that's the case.

Best of luck to Bart. He fully deserves a shot at the Premier League and a longshot of getting into the World Cup squad.

COYB.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2018 10:10]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I'm looking for a silver lining on 10:13 - Jan 5 with 811 viewsBluefish

Nathan Jones signed a new 4 year deal yesterday

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I'm looking for a silver lining on 10:13 - Jan 5 with 806 viewsDyland

Pasteurised or unpasteurised?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I'm looking for a silver lining on 10:15 - Jan 5 with 803 viewsFinidiCentenary

I'm looking for a silver lining on 10:13 - Jan 5 by Bluefish

I'm aware. I saw it on Twitter. However, it means precisely nothing to a club that comes calling other than the compensation would be a little bit higher.

He's unlikely to turn down a Championship job if one came along. He'll be in League One with Luton next year, so any mid-table Championship job would likely tempt him, especially given we are not the other side of the country, he'd get a bigger wage and get time under Evans, one of the few owners you'd feel confident of being able to take your time to adjust under.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I'm looking for a silver lining on 10:17 - Jan 5 with 791 viewsITFC_Forever

I'm looking for a silver lining on 10:13 - Jan 5 by Bluefish

Blimey.... that's not good for us or anyone else looking at him.

That said, there's no way any manager such as Jones would leave at this stage of the season anyway.
Luton are looking a good bet for promotion (despite somehow always seeming to let my acca down), he would want to see the job through to the summer.

Same would also go for any other decent manager in a job, other than perhaps Clarke at Brizzle Rovers who are mid-table and probably reached their peak with him in charge.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024