Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is your phone listening to you? 16:09 - Oct 30 with 5198 viewsStokieBlue

Sinister or just coincidence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41802282

Most likely it's just this:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinho

The alternative isn't very nice.

SB
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 16:12]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:24 - Oct 30 with 5167 viewsPinewoodblue

Experienced an example of this late last night. Was talking to a member of a band after a gig and asked him what the holiday camp they had appeared at the previous evening was like. iPad was on the table in front of us. Minutes later it pinged and informed me of a message. After reading message looked on Facebook and there was a sponsored link to the very holiday camp we had been talking about. I have never googled the place.

Scarey.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:36 - Oct 30 with 5144 viewsJ2BLUE

On a related note I'm sure my phone can ready my texts. For example if my mum texts 'fancy meeting me for a coffee?' Google maps will show directions to Costa on my home screen.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:39 - Oct 30 with 5132 viewsStokieBlue

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:36 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

On a related note I'm sure my phone can ready my texts. For example if my mum texts 'fancy meeting me for a coffee?' Google maps will show directions to Costa on my home screen.

Pretty helpful right?

SB

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:44 - Oct 30 with 5120 viewshoppy

What would come up if your mum texts 'do you want me to show you again how to cook those eggs properly?', do you think?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:49 - Oct 30 with 5103 viewsStokieBlue

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:44 - Oct 30 by hoppy

What would come up if your mum texts 'do you want me to show you again how to cook those eggs properly?', do you think?

Depends what county you're in.

SB

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:51 - Oct 30 with 5089 viewshoppy

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:49 - Oct 30 by StokieBlue

Depends what county you're in.

SB

What difference would it make what county I'm in if his mum texts him?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:59 - Oct 30 with 5071 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes it does. Was discussing this with the better half in the summer. And you can test it out - just talk about a subject that you're not interested in or haven't searched for, and hey presto - within 24 hours you'll have adverts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is your phone listening to you? on 17:01 - Oct 30 with 5065 viewsJ2BLUE

Is your phone listening to you? on 16:39 - Oct 30 by StokieBlue

Pretty helpful right?

SB

I don't like it to be honest. I know it's not really rational but I don't like it.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Is your phone listening to you? on 17:11 - Oct 30 with 5048 viewsStokieBlue

Is your phone listening to you? on 17:01 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

I don't like it to be honest. I know it's not really rational but I don't like it.

I think most people will agree with you, it's a massive invasion of privacy.

SB

Is your phone listening to you? on 17:53 - Oct 30 with 5004 viewschicoazul

That's so weird. I get the same thing when your Mum texts me about meeting for "coffee" too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is your phone listening to you? on 18:45 - Oct 30 with 4965 viewscaught-in-limbo

If it can, I'm sure it's only for our own benefit and for the development of society in general. There's certainly nothing amiss here - technology companies are way too busy developing ways to enhance our lives to snoop on us; and security agencies, which work for the government, as well as our democratic leaders wouldn't allow anything of the sort to happen without our prior knowledge or for anything other than our collective well-being.

I'm getting the hang of this.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 20:26]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Is your phone listening to you? on 20:53 - Oct 30 with 4851 viewscaught-in-limbo

Is your phone listening to you? on 17:01 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

What is irrational is sticking your head in the sand and pretending that it isn't happening.

Listen to John McAfee for just 90 seconds: 13:30-15:04

#toxic

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:05 - Oct 30 with 4836 viewsDyland

Facebook is a scuzzy company and morally bankrupt business model, imo.

Google, whilst doing some things really well, is an altogether different proposition. More advocacy needed to combat their dominance online. You can still live off the grid to a certain extent but for many of us (under the age of sixty, say), it's a battle for the control of "reality" no less.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:37 - Oct 30 with 4815 viewscaught-in-limbo

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:05 - Oct 30 by Dyland

Facebook is a scuzzy company and morally bankrupt business model, imo.

Google, whilst doing some things really well, is an altogether different proposition. More advocacy needed to combat their dominance online. You can still live off the grid to a certain extent but for many of us (under the age of sixty, say), it's a battle for the control of "reality" no less.

"it's a battle for the control of "reality" no less."

You're absolutely right about that.

You might find Bowie's views on the internet interesting, back in 1999. It's a great interview but particularly from 7:00-12:00

#toxic

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:48 - Oct 30 with 4794 viewsJ2BLUE

Is your phone listening to you? on 20:53 - Oct 30 by caught-in-limbo

What is irrational is sticking your head in the sand and pretending that it isn't happening.

Listen to John McAfee for just 90 seconds: 13:30-15:04

Agree with every word. It's one of the reasons I wasn't comfortable getting an Alexa from Amazon which is always listening. I have no doubt my iphone is doing exactly the same thing. It has even worked out uncommon abbreviations in text messages which it has obviously linked to a place because directions come up to get there.

I sometimes long for my Nokia 3310.

Truly impaired.

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:51 - Oct 30 with 4782 viewsDyland

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:37 - Oct 30 by caught-in-limbo

"it's a battle for the control of "reality" no less."

You're absolutely right about that.

You might find Bowie's views on the internet interesting, back in 1999. It's a great interview but particularly from 7:00-12:00

Good stuff Cillers.

I have some first hand experience here. Funny how your enemies' enemies become your friends. Not on a personal level! Work-wise.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:58 - Oct 30 with 4771 viewsYaffle

It's happened to me on two occasions that were notable, just for how blatant they were. One about 6 months ago I was chatting to my daughter in the car about a band I'd never heard of, 21 Pilots. Logged onto to FaceBook later and got an ad for 21 Pilots memorabilia!

Then earlier today I was talking about Xmas presents for the kids and mentioned to Mrs Yaffle that son was saving up for a VR headset, just logged onto to FaceBook and there was an ad for Occulus Rift!

Bloody creepy!
Is your phone listening to you? on 22:14 - Oct 30 with 4743 viewscaught-in-limbo

Is your phone listening to you? on 21:48 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

Agree with every word. It's one of the reasons I wasn't comfortable getting an Alexa from Amazon which is always listening. I have no doubt my iphone is doing exactly the same thing. It has even worked out uncommon abbreviations in text messages which it has obviously linked to a place because directions come up to get there.

I sometimes long for my Nokia 3310.

"Agree with every word."

Good.

On a lighter note, if you agree with every word, then you believe that there has been a big conspiracy by these technology companies to subvert privacy laws and spy on us despite claims to the contrary. And additionally , if those companies have made this technology for that purpose, they have left the door open to hackers and "friendly" and "unfriendly" governments to do the same - a second conspiracy if you like.

I thought you didn't believe in all that bunkum.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024