Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 21:00 - Jan 28 with 1002 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I have to say it's definitely two points dropped today therefore mix of feelings for me. Cannot question players' commitment today that's for sure. Better then disgusting display at Lincoln or very poor at Huddersfield last week. We should have won today but for flawed McCarthy's philosophy: sit deep, frustrate them as much as we can and we may hold on. Lack of belief or ability to kill the game off was very disappointing.

First half in a nutshell was Preston having been better in operating the ball whereas Town had better chances. Yet another amazing Lawrence's goal and he was by far our most threatening player.

Emmanuel having had tough first 45 minutes caught my eye too. McGeady would constantly torment him and I dare say that the Preston winger will have been a toughest opponent that Emmanuel has ever faced so far. Yes struggled to contain him at times but given his age and still lack of experience he did well in general and I can't be critical of that. I'm sure that 'right-back' Chambers would have badly struggled if he had been told to clash with McGeady.

Preston players also showed us the dirty aspect of the game which is 'required' at times. Three cynical fouls on our players while we had a chance to hit them on the break. That is perhaps what our players ought to have done at Huddersfield last week instead of having allowed Brown to have a run in which he was unchallenged and that ended up with him scoring.

Diagouraga I'd say has had decent 45 minutes. Some neat passing, not being afraid of anything. I thought he was trying to be too careful and scared to make mistakes but based on today decent addition.

A few shots well over the bar from Preston forwards. Two moments in which there was lack of communication between Chambers and Bialkowski. Sears unlucky not to have added a second goal five minutes from half time. In general not bad first half but we expected Preston to come out of the blocks early after half time and that was the case.
Scary moment at the beginning but Bialkowski easily saved Robinson's weak shot on target.

Diagouraga had to be subbed after 58 minutes due to lack of match fitness. Unfortunately things got worse for us since that. Bru who replaced him turned out to be yet again a poor choice. We started to give ball away with big frequency. To be honest strange game since that substitution. A glaring lack of ability to retain the ball looked somewhat like an invitation for Preston forwards to have a go at us. At the same time our defensive display was nothing short of good. We put bodies on the line (Berra in particular has had a very good display today, much better than his previous poor few games) and even though Preston were pressing they didn't create an overwhelming amount of chances. The most dangerous one was McGeady's shot which went straight on Bialkowski.

Lack of ability or belief to kill the game off was very annoying and upsetting. But this is McCarthy's 'philosophy'. Lets sit deep and try to save what we have. Preston having pressed us at times were leaving gaps in their defence and that was our perfect opportunity to hit them on the break and put the game to bed. Any time we had chances to do so not many Town players were interested in surging forward. Preston goalie Maxwell was a spectator for the vast majority of second half and we didn't really test him. Lawrence following his long run on 87 mins could have done so but his shot was too weak to cause trouble.

Sucker punch one minute from time. Ex-Town target Horgan's cross and current Town target Hugill scores for them. Sheer sucker punch and it's hard to take.

An inability to keep the ball and failure to hit them on the break was our downfall today and that's what makes me somewhat downbeat and disappointed. However we've to be encouraged by players' commitment after last two abject displays.

MOTM? Lawrence. The player who 'negates' McCarthys philosophy. As we all know he loves having a go at opposition full-back and nothing different than that today. Overwhelming impact from him since he's joined us on loan. In my opinion our best loanee since Gio. Even better than Fraser. If he is available for 4-5m come summer we've got to do everything to entice him. That kind of quality is badly needed otherwise we'll rot in this league forever.

Skuse whom I badly slated last week as he was utter cack against Huddersfield has had a good afternoon today. I'm often very critical of him as he gets away with poor performances but today I'm holding my hands up. Perfect in his DM duties however I'd have liked him to have passed the ball towards our strikers too.

Berra very good in defence as I mentioned. Diagouraga decent debut too. Knudsen strange and mixed game.

Don't really understand what Ward's role is though. Allegedly a right winger but he spent large parts of the game in the middle.

Town target Jordan Hugill. Apparently his price has risen up to 4m today. Is he worth that? Don't know. I'm undecided. He was kept quiet for the majority of the game, one header went well over the bar in the first half but on the other hand he saved the day for them in the dying moments and perhaps that's a sign of a good player. Whether they go for him or not I 'demand' the club to spend money on Murphy's replacement. 4 months and 28 days and it's yet to be found.

Mix of feelings after today. Commitment wise fine but still missed opportunity due to a few factors mentioned above.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2017 21:01]
Match thoughts on 21:19 - Jan 28 with 892 viewsnshearman1

Thanks Mach. Seems a fair and balanced report. If things got worse after Dougouraga (what's a short name for him?!) went off, it sounds like he will be a good signing for us, once he gets match-fit, and if he only shows his better side and doesn't go missing or become inconsistent. It sounds like he helped Skuse play better and is a good foil for him, unlike the unfortunate Douglas. To be fair to Mick, Bru is still considered a creative player, but it sounds like he got a bit over-run. Do we think Ward himself understands what his role is?! It feels like a player who had a lot of potential to start with has got lost in an unbalanced and inadequate team.
Match thoughts on 21:22 - Jan 28 with 883 viewsRoyKeanesDog

To be honest, with this season practically a write off already, no chance of play-offs and I really can't see us going down under Mick (touch wood), I am more encouraged by improving performances and promising debuts than 3 points.

Poll: Best Football Song

Match thoughts on 21:28 - Jan 28 with 853 viewsCrock

"Has ever faced so far"

Poll: Favourite number?

Match thoughts on 21:48 - Jan 28 with 792 viewsMullet

"MOTM? Lawrence. The player who 'negates' McCarthys philosophy."

What does that even mean? Mick raves about him and rightly so. Sets the team up to use him no matter what.

That is truly baffling and one-eyed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Match thoughts on 21:50 - Jan 28 with 766 viewsMullet

Match thoughts on 21:19 - Jan 28 by nshearman1

Thanks Mach. Seems a fair and balanced report. If things got worse after Dougouraga (what's a short name for him?!) went off, it sounds like he will be a good signing for us, once he gets match-fit, and if he only shows his better side and doesn't go missing or become inconsistent. It sounds like he helped Skuse play better and is a good foil for him, unlike the unfortunate Douglas. To be fair to Mick, Bru is still considered a creative player, but it sounds like he got a bit over-run. Do we think Ward himself understands what his role is?! It feels like a player who had a lot of potential to start with has got lost in an unbalanced and inadequate team.

Thought you were the bloke I met at Brizzle earlier in the season who also went today!

Someone must be impersonating you!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Match thoughts on 21:54 - Jan 28 with 735 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 21:48 - Jan 28 by Mullet

"MOTM? Lawrence. The player who 'negates' McCarthys philosophy."

What does that even mean? Mick raves about him and rightly so. Sets the team up to use him no matter what.

That is truly baffling and one-eyed.

Take it how you want. You're entitled to have a different view so am I.

He seems to be the only player who really loves 'having a go'. Wish more players were like that and we might have snatched a win.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024