Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today 14:49 - May 12 with 4257 viewssmithy69

How would you spend it

Who would they be, and why. We aren’t going to be paying people 50k a week IMO so salary has To be sensible aswell

For me it would be Ben Sheaf and Flynn Downes. Some legs In the middle of the park as we look to the future. Think they would both learn alot of Morsy aswell
[Post edited 12 May 14:52]
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 14:55 - May 12 with 3332 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd blow it all on Omari.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 14:58 - May 12 with 3313 viewsJimmy86

As posted in another thread, I think people need to forget about Downes.. he jumped ship pretty easily before and his comments after the game, around him getting booed proved there is no love lost on his behalf, for us...
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:00 - May 12 with 3283 viewsfooters

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 14:55 - May 12 by GeoffSentence

I'd blow it all on Omari.

There are three unnecessary words in that sentence.
[Post edited 12 May 15:00]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:02 - May 12 with 3251 viewssmithy69

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 14:58 - May 12 by Jimmy86

As posted in another thread, I think people need to forget about Downes.. he jumped ship pretty easily before and his comments after the game, around him getting booed proved there is no love lost on his behalf, for us...

Cook had him training with the kids. Not sure you can blame him

I do agree though- he may not want To come
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:05 - May 12 with 3200 viewsJimmy86

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:02 - May 12 by smithy69

Cook had him training with the kids. Not sure you can blame him

I do agree though- he may not want To come

Because he wanted out... He wanted out when Palace came in for him..

Also, having watched the podcast with Kieron Dyer and renegade statman a while back, KD mentioned that Cook had a meeting with Downes, where he tried to convince him to stay... Downes didn't want to.. whether he was made to train with the kids before or after the meeting may have had an influence on his decision, granted
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:15 - May 12 with 3100 viewsjayessess

The average bottom half Premier League team spent £114m on wages in 2022-23, which works out at £2.2m per week.

£50k per week x 25 first team players works out at £1.25m per week, so we'll be well below the division average if we don't end up paying anyone salaries of that order.
[Post edited 12 May 15:27]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:18 - May 12 with 3054 viewsNutkins_Return

Omari would have to be one. Central midfield I'd go sheaf and Hamer but would be more than happy with Downes as well. Sara also good.
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:31 - May 12 with 2965 viewssmithy69

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:15 - May 12 by jayessess

The average bottom half Premier League team spent £114m on wages in 2022-23, which works out at £2.2m per week.

£50k per week x 25 first team players works out at £1.25m per week, so we'll be well below the division average if we don't end up paying anyone salaries of that order.
[Post edited 12 May 15:27]

Personally I just can’t see it. Doesn’t fit in with the mantra in the club around stability I think.

Barkley for instance is on 30k at Luton.
Login to get fewer ads

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:36 - May 12 with 2916 viewsITFCMonk

Hutchinson & Sarmiento.

We all know why
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:39 - May 12 with 2891 viewsHerbivore

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:05 - May 12 by Jimmy86

Because he wanted out... He wanted out when Palace came in for him..

Also, having watched the podcast with Kieron Dyer and renegade statman a while back, KD mentioned that Cook had a meeting with Downes, where he tried to convince him to stay... Downes didn't want to.. whether he was made to train with the kids before or after the meeting may have had an influence on his decision, granted

We were going nowhere in League 1, hardly surprising he was interested in leaving to join Palace. I don't see that as a reason to not go back in for him now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:43 - May 12 with 2862 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Think he'd probably cost all of 30 mil and more but I'd spend it on Ramsdale, think he's worth 6 to 9 points in saves. Then I'd sign Cresswell for free as cover for Leif/an experienced head to bring on.

Obviously no chance of it happening but would be a fantastic signing.

I'd like to think for 30 mil we could get Teinery and Omari, assuming Chelsea actually want to move him on and think that would be great business but maybe I'm underesting the market.

Add Sheaf for 15 mil and I think that's 45 m well spent. I do think it's defence where we really need a good addition, Wolf and Burgess fabulous but against top opposition we definitely need an addition or 2. Good cover for Leif essential

If I could have them

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:44 - May 12 with 2853 viewsPlums

I'd start by asking why we'd be repeating the errors of the Burley era and spending significantly beyond the balance of the dressing room.
£30m on four or five players perhaps but not two.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:47 - May 12 with 2798 viewsHerbivore

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:44 - May 12 by Plums

I'd start by asking why we'd be repeating the errors of the Burley era and spending significantly beyond the balance of the dressing room.

Players in the £6m-7m aren't going to significantly improve us though, I don't think £30m on two players - if they are the right players - is necessarily unrealistic. We'll make at least a couple of 8 figure signings I suspect.

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:50 - May 12 with 2767 viewsStenvict

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 14:58 - May 12 by Jimmy86

Remember when Kieffer Moore wanted to leave, when he was with us before? I'm sure Downes would love to play for a manager like Kieran McKenna.
[Post edited 12 May 15:50]

Poll: What will be announced first?

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:50 - May 12 with 2763 viewsacj

Pablo Solari from River Plate - reckon we could probably get him for 10-15. Would try a sneaky bid for Andre from Fluminense with the rest, but hard to know how much they’d be looking for to let him go.

Beyond that - Omari has to be top of the list if a permanent deal is at all possible.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:51 - May 12 with 2739 viewsjayessess

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:31 - May 12 by smithy69

Personally I just can’t see it. Doesn’t fit in with the mantra in the club around stability I think.

Barkley for instance is on 30k at Luton.

Think this really underestimates how ordinary £50k a week is for a Premier League player. There's no real scenario where we refuse to pay those kinds of wages and stay up because even if we won't pay it for new signings, that'll be what we'll have to pay the lads who are already here if they're good enough to keep us up!

I doubt Barkley's on that little (figures you see for player salaries on the internet are rarely accurate).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:52 - May 12 with 2725 viewsIllinoisblue

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:44 - May 12 by Plums

It’s not about x amount spent or x number of players. It’s finding the quality that will keep us up. McKenna and Ashton are both ambitious. They won’t be shopping in the bargains section, and nor should they.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:54 - May 12 with 2692 viewsLord_Lucan

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:36 - May 12 by ITFCMonk

Hutchinson & Sarmiento.

We all know why

I would say these two as well - if we could get them for that.

That way we could develop another couple of loanee's

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 16:23 - May 12 with 2542 viewsLeightonBuzzardBlue

I'm a follower of German football so one of my answers is inspired by that

1) Omari - £20-25mil (I still don't think this would be enough still unfortunately)
- No explanation needed

2) Ao Tonaka - £5mil - Fortuna Dusseldorf
- International experience (26 apps / 8 goals for Japan)
- PoTM against Spain at the World Cup
- Can play CM or more advanced/defensive
- Good age of 25
- 8 goals, 4 assists this season for Fortuna
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 16:50 - May 12 with 2436 viewsJimmy86

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 15:39 - May 12 by Herbivore

We were going nowhere in League 1, hardly surprising he was interested in leaving to join Palace. I don't see that as a reason to not go back in for him now.

Yep, I agree with you, regarding the fact we weren't going anywhere, languishing in league 1 and he wanted out as a result.. but, his reaction to the stick he got from a section of our fans in the Southampton game was telling... Based on his comments after, do you think he'd ever entertain coming back? Not for me, which is a shame... He's decent, but can't see him coming back
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 17:21 - May 12 with 2318 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Omari. That is what our manager wants.

The second one would be an experienced Prem centre back.
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 17:42 - May 12 with 2260 viewsGuthrum

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 17:21 - May 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

Omari. That is what our manager wants.

The second one would be an experienced Prem centre back.

Yes, that would probably be my starting approach, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 17:44 - May 12 with 2246 viewsMK1

Sheaf and Latte Lath.
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 19:54 - May 12 with 1957 viewsBloomBlue

But Downes is on 50k a week at West Ham
If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 20:24 - May 12 with 1890 viewsHerbivore

If you had £30m to spend on 2 players today on 16:50 - May 12 by Jimmy86

Yep, I agree with you, regarding the fact we weren't going anywhere, languishing in league 1 and he wanted out as a result.. but, his reaction to the stick he got from a section of our fans in the Southampton game was telling... Based on his comments after, do you think he'd ever entertain coming back? Not for me, which is a shame... He's decent, but can't see him coming back

If Saints don't go up and we go in for him, absolutely he'd join us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024