Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C 11:14 - May 8 with 2606 viewsStokieBlue

Latest modelling shows that we are on track to smash through the 1.5C target for global heating and are currently on track to hit 2.7C by the end of the century.

Of the scientists polled, 50% thought even 2.7C was optimistic and that we would be over 3C by the end of the century.

This would put about 2 billion people in locations which would be extremely hard to live in.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/08/world-scientists-cli

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2024/may/08/hopeless-and-

Another study concluded that with 3C of warming cities such as Osaka and Rio would be under some water and Miami and Shanghai would be completely gone:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/three-degree-world

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:16 - May 8 with 2065 viewsfooters

That's all well and good, but there's money to be made.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:17 - May 8 with 2043 viewsElderGrizzly

Yeah, but it was still cold in April.

I think that's the climate change denier/grifter take anyway.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/richard-tice-reform-uk-party-climate-cris
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:20 - May 8 with 1994 viewsblueasfook

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:17 - May 8 by ElderGrizzly

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/richard-tice-reform-uk-party-climate-cris

I seem to remember from climate change forecasts, that cold waters from polar ice melting will cut off the gulf stream (which keeps Britain relatively warm for its latitude). So will actually get colder in Britain.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:29 - May 8 with 1972 viewsElderGrizzly

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:20 - May 8 by blueasfook

I seem to remember from climate change forecasts, that cold waters from polar ice melting will cut off the gulf stream (which keeps Britain relatively warm for its latitude). So will actually get colder in Britain.

It's the "global boiling" narrative of the right wing politicians/press who also conflate weather with climate change.

It's not this country either, it's a global political football

https://www.mediamatters.org/climate-deniers/its-cold-outside-which-means-right-
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:42 - May 8 with 1911 viewsOldFart71

As records on go back so far we are in the dark to an extent as to what has gone before. Dinosaurs were wiped out. If you believe in the Bible Noah built an ark because of floods. Is this really global warming or just an occurrence that happens every so many thousands of years. No doubt man has contributed to warming in part. Building houses with little or no gardens, where everyone needs a place to park 1,2,3,4 cars. We all pay extra on our gas and electric bills for so called green schemes. But the Government makes little effort to make sure that everyone has access to cheap or free installation. They push EV's and heat pumps, but who has £20,000+ for an EV that's not proven and doesn't do the job of a diesel or petrol vehicle and a heat pump at £30,000 that again isn't proven to provide the necessary heat in the depths of winter. Added to this you have China, USA, India making very little effort to cut their emissions.
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:19 - May 8 with 1829 viewsGlory_Hunter

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:42 - May 8 by OldFart71

As records on go back so far we are in the dark to an extent as to what has gone before. Dinosaurs were wiped out. If you believe in the Bible Noah built an ark because of floods. Is this really global warming or just an occurrence that happens every so many thousands of years. No doubt man has contributed to warming in part. Building houses with little or no gardens, where everyone needs a place to park 1,2,3,4 cars. We all pay extra on our gas and electric bills for so called green schemes. But the Government makes little effort to make sure that everyone has access to cheap or free installation. They push EV's and heat pumps, but who has £20,000+ for an EV that's not proven and doesn't do the job of a diesel or petrol vehicle and a heat pump at £30,000 that again isn't proven to provide the necessary heat in the depths of winter. Added to this you have China, USA, India making very little effort to cut their emissions.

There is so much to unravel here it would take someone with more patience than I to even begin.

But, this is a perfect example of many misunderstandings all rolled into one so well done for putting them all in one place.
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:23 - May 8 with 1805 viewsCoachRob

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:42 - May 8 by OldFart71

I guess you need to read up on Milankovitch cycles and how scientists use proxy records derived from ice cores and sediments to reconstruct past climate.

The second part regarding socio-economic factors is covered in the IPCC AR6 which calls for systemic change.
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:24 - May 8 with 1798 viewsNthQldITFC

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:20 - May 8 by blueasfook

That's the sort of basic stuff which every kid in Britain should know, not because it's dramatic but because it's a really good and simple illustration which fights back against against the ignorant, frankly moronic statements we still hear like "if it's cold outside there can't be global warming, durr!"

I don't know what environmental education is like in schools these days, but frankly it should be right at the top of the list for obligatory attendance. It's today's kids who are going to have to provide the impetus and the voting power to give themselves a fighting chance.
[Post edited 8 May 12:27]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:24 - May 8 with 1798 viewsipswichtillidie

Somber reading. China whilst being the world’s leading industrial power and largest C02 emitter will lead in the clean energy revolution and rightly so. Only leaders and governments can speed up the reversal needed through education and carbon neutral solutions.

Gav

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:28 - May 8 with 1779 viewsNthQldITFC

Gently, gently isn't working, is it?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:29 - May 8 with 1776 viewsDarkBrandon

We seem to have probably passed 1.5 already. Terribly depressing.
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:35 - May 8 with 1735 viewsipswichtillidie

I agree with you in regards the solutions are currently too expensive. This isn’t also helped by governments who refuse to substantially subsidise and encourage clean energy business start ups . There are not enough grants and set ups but we as a country don’t lead anymore and tend to follow the “new” super powers. You are correct also to mention China/USA/India as the largest C02 emitters but wrong in your statement that no effort is being made to reduce this. Recently in China more than 50% of all new vehicles sold were EVs and as technology advances soon these cars will be affordable for everyone. Making the EV revolution sustainable though will rely upon technology that can recycle the vehicles/batteries at their end off life. This process can already be done and in economically friendly way. (See new start up company ABTC) but essentially it’s down to governments/leaders to implement these changes. At some point ALL of us will have to make sacrifices for the greater good and some of them will be unpopular or forced upon us if the climate situation continues at its current trajectory.
[Post edited 8 May 12:38]

Gav

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:37 - May 8 with 1700 viewsfooters

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:28 - May 8 by NthQldITFC

Gently, gently isn't working, is it?

As my old man used to say to me, "If you will not listen, then you must feel."

And I turned out all right. Not so sure about the planet though.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:39 - May 8 with 1683 viewsDarkBrandon

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:37 - May 8 by footers

Was your dad Yoda?
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 13:49 - May 8 with 1540 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Tsssk more Guardian trolling Stokie... expect Lowhouse in 5...4.....3....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 14:09 - May 8 with 1501 viewsElderGrizzly

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 12:37 - May 8 by footers

We are the frogs in the pot with the temperature rising slowly aren't we?
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 14:15 - May 8 with 1482 viewsNthQldITFC

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 14:09 - May 8 by ElderGrizzly

We are the frogs in the pot with the temperature rising slowly aren't we?

I get the feeling that there's a bit of an acceptance now that the positive, encouraging messages alone are not going to cut the mustard and encourage the frogs to hop out and turn down the gas.

We need to show the frogs pictures and videos of boiled frog now, not sparing their feelings, and couple that reality with positive ideas for incremental gains and worldwide action by and driven by the masses.

Revvit!

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 17:02 - May 8 with 1378 viewsGeoffSentence

Some decent points amongst the guff. Here's my two penneth.

yep, insulation, hugely important, I wonder how many people fuming about dear old ladies from Insulate Britain sitting in the road have calmed down a bit now.

£30K for a heat pump? I replaced my oil boiler with a ASHP and it cost me £900 after the £5K grant. To be fair though, my first couple of quotes did scare the life out of me, the highest quote was £16K. Got to find the right installer.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 17:13 - May 8 with 1342 viewsSwansea_Blue

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 11:17 - May 8 by ElderGrizzly

FFS. He’s utterly ignorant and not very bright with it, unless throwing around strawmen is part of the deliberate grift.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 17:23 - May 8 with 1324 viewsDanTheMan

I'll go through this a bit by bit. None of this rebuttal is a criticism of you but these are all fairly common misconceptions.

"As records on go back so far we are in the dark to an extent as to what has gone before."

This is false, we actually can go back a very long way by drilling ice cores, literally hundreds of thousands of years which is more than good enough for the purposes of working out why sort of things drive our global climate.

See this article for a nice explainer - https://nsidc.org/learn/ask-scientist/core-climate-history

"Is this really global warming or just an occurrence that happens every so many thousands of years"

No. Even if there was, it would be unlikely to happen at the speed we are currently experiencing.

"No doubt man has contributed to warming in part."

It's the main part, there's nothing else driving the warming. The rest of the usual drivers have been ruled out.

"Building houses with little or no gardens, where everyone needs a place to park 1,2,3,4 cars."

I understand where you're coming from with the gardens but actually, the most energy-efficient housing is generally terraced or flats. The more detached the houses are, the less energy efficient as all the heat is lost. Of course you could have flats with shared green spaces that would have otherwise been taken up by more housing.

100% agree on wastage in terms of cars, our infrastructure design is all based on the premise that everyone must drive instead of prioritising public transport.

"We all pay extra on our gas and electric bills for so called green schemes. But the Government makes little effort to make sure that everyone has access to cheap or free installation."

I think there are grants but I agree that we do not do enough to help insulate homes and move people towards things like heat pumps.

"They push EV's and heat pumps, but who has £20,000+ for an EV that's not proven and doesn't do the job of a diesel or petrol vehicle and a heat pump at £30,000 that again isn't proven to provide the necessary heat in the depths of winter."

Nobody should be throwing away a working vehicle for a new EV just because, but if you're going to buy a new car anyway, it might as well be an EV. I'm not sure what you mean that it doesn't do the job though, I assume range? That does need to be taken into account.

"Added to this you have China, USA, India making very little effort to cut their emissions."

Yes, this is a problem. I wouldn't say very little effort, there is quite a bit going on, but everyone will need to chip in if we're going to make it. It's worth noting that per person, China and India are not the worst offenders, they just happen to have a 3rd of the entire world's population. They'll need to come along for the ride of course, just like the rest of us. In China's case, a lot of their coal is used for manufacturing stuff for other countries so it's a bit hard to blame that entirely on them.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 17:54 - May 9 with 1087 viewstcblue

If global warming is real how come it was cold when I got out of the bath yesterday
50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 19:11 - May 9 with 1017 viewsNthQldITFC

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 17:54 - May 9 by tcblue

If global warming is real how come it was cold when I got out of the bath yesterday

Perhaps it wasn't cold, perhaps it was always that size?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 19:18 - May 9 with 1006 viewsBobbychase

People who don't believe it's real, and here, should be offered free luxury housing in low-lying areas of Florida. If the oceans aren't warming and the ice isn't melting, then they will have nothing to worry about.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 00:47 - May 10 with 864 viewsStokieBlue

Some more good news:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/09/carbon-dioxide-atmos

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

50% of climate scientists expect the globe to warm by 3C on 09:16 - May 10 with 695 viewsDenstonBlue

I haven’t read the article but what did the other 50% think? Their opinion would carry equal weight if it’s a numbers game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024