Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let the gossip commence 19:24 - May 1 with 4872 viewsvilanovablue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/may/01/brighton-ipswich-kieran-mckenna

Apologies if already posted.
Let the gossip commence on 10:51 - May 2 with 966 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 10:49 - May 2 by tractorboy1978

Tougher than rolling straight through this division with 93+ points? There's no doubt you go into it with 17th being a fantastic finish but it's far from an impossible task. I wouldn't be seeing our success being built around atmosphere and togetherness as a negative to be honest. You obviously have to add a bit of PL quality around that but that togetherness, never say die attitude is what you are going to need in spades if you want to stay up.

Unfortunately it's probably much tougher. Look at the experience Sheffield United and Burnley have had this season. Burnley pretty much romped this division last season. There's a big gap from being a promoted side to being established like Brighton.
Let the gossip commence on 10:54 - May 2 with 939 viewsTrequartista

Let the gossip commence on 09:26 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Brighton are a step or so ahead of where we would be having been promoted. Looking at things with brutal honesty, keeping us - or any side which has just been promoted two divisions - up will be a very difficult task next year and, as Something says, managers can go from hero to zero very quickly.

Agree Brighton are a step ahead and is unrealistic to emulate our 5th place in 2000 as the gap is now much bigger but look at Sheffield United 2019-20. They kept a significant amount of their League One and Championship players and came 9th so we won’t necessarily struggle.

What happened after that proves your point about how managers can last longer if they are less successful. Wilder then lost his job when they plummeted in 2020-21. He would have lasted longer if their ascent was less steep. The same could happen to McKenna.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Let the gossip commence on 11:02 - May 2 with 911 viewsBluedandy

Let the gossip commence on 10:51 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Unfortunately it's probably much tougher. Look at the experience Sheffield United and Burnley have had this season. Burnley pretty much romped this division last season. There's a big gap from being a promoted side to being established like Brighton.

The season before Fulham won the Championship with less points than us now and then finished 10th in the PL.

Plus the standard of the Championship last season was lower than this year.
Let the gossip commence on 11:04 - May 2 with 900 viewsOldFart71

I'd like someone to tell me why Brighton have more potential than Town. Yes it's a certainty we need some pretty large investment squad wise. Probably a centre back, maybe another fullback, are we quick enough and have strength enough in midfield and will either Hutchinson or Sarmiento be with us next season ? If not then we need equally as good to replace them. But with the possibility of a 35,000 seater stadium and the potential to if not challenge the likes of Man City and Liverpool, at least to be on a par or better than Brighton.
Let the gossip commence on 11:06 - May 2 with 890 viewsBlueNomad

Luton may yet stay up. They are certainly giving it a go, without having gone mad in the market, and I think if we go up we might well stay up.

Leicester, Forest are already in danger of points deductions. Things at Everton aren't good and I do wonder if Palace and Brentford have peaked.

How will the play-off winners get on?

(Of course no-one knows what will happen transfer-wise in the summer at any of these clubs)
Let the gossip commence on 11:07 - May 2 with 884 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

Let the gossip commence on 09:45 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

That's not really what I meant. Of course, if KM was sacked midway through the season, then that would be ridiculous. But as Something says, KM may not get the chance to get a job at a more established Premier League club again. Look at George Burley in 2001, Manager of the Year but never got to the same heights again. I think it's a far from unlikely scenario this summer, unfortunately.

Someone who works in football said to me that if a manager has success at one club, it guarantees another four jobs.

We all hope it won't happen, but if we're promoted KMc's stock will never be higher. Even if he keeps us up next season.
Let the gossip commence on 11:08 - May 2 with 881 viewsitfcjoe

Let the gossip commence on 09:26 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Brighton are a step or so ahead of where we would be having been promoted. Looking at things with brutal honesty, keeping us - or any side which has just been promoted two divisions - up will be a very difficult task next year and, as Something says, managers can go from hero to zero very quickly.

Sadly Brighton are 5 steps ahead of where we are currently - if we get promoted on Saturday then we are 3-4 seasons of progress away from not even being considered for a relegation fight - they've seemingly leapt that hurdle now.

That being said, it seems unlikely for them to sack RDZ (or him walk away) and then pay to get KMc out here and get much change out of £12-15m so a high price to pay.

RDZ being overlooked for the big jobs is the best thing that can happen for us and remaining at Brighton cutting a frustrated figure

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Let the gossip commence on 11:10 - May 2 with 864 viewsNIblue

Let the gossip commence on 11:04 - May 2 by OldFart71

I'd like someone to tell me why Brighton have more potential than Town. Yes it's a certainty we need some pretty large investment squad wise. Probably a centre back, maybe another fullback, are we quick enough and have strength enough in midfield and will either Hutchinson or Sarmiento be with us next season ? If not then we need equally as good to replace them. But with the possibility of a 35,000 seater stadium and the potential to if not challenge the likes of Man City and Liverpool, at least to be on a par or better than Brighton.

I don’t think Brighton have more potential than us, they’re just further on right now in terms of already being an established Premier League club
Login to get fewer ads

Let the gossip commence on 11:12 - May 2 with 845 viewsvilanovablue

Let the gossip commence on 11:04 - May 2 by OldFart71

Brighton are selling players for nearly £100 million and have been in the premiership for a number of years. Whilst they may not be a "bigger" club than us they are certainly currently a long way ahead of that. They also have a pretty progressive approach which to a younger manager I don't doubt they would be an attractive proposition. Brighton is realistically a model that I would like us to adopt or at least a similar approach.
Let the gossip commence on 11:27 - May 2 with 801 viewsITFCBlues

I think people are blinded by the last two seasons. We've been fantastic & this season we've vastly overachieved beyond everyone's expectations. I can't imagine anyone expected this in their wildest dreams.

Only have to look at Luton this season & you'd have to think we'd be potentially at a similar level to that. We'll have a turnaround of players etc - but reality is, a lot of these players were playing L1 last season & they'll now be up against PL clubs who all have bags of quality. Only have to look at the games against Leicester, Leeds & even Saints to see what we will be up against every week next season.

We just need to enjoy it & the hope would be if we did go down, we'd be much stronger for it.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Let the gossip commence on 11:30 - May 2 with 787 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 11:02 - May 2 by Bluedandy

The season before Fulham won the Championship with less points than us now and then finished 10th in the PL.

Plus the standard of the Championship last season was lower than this year.

It's irrelevant. That Fulham squad was already full of 10m players & had been in the prem in recent years.

Our squad was playing in L1 last season!

Let the gossip commence on 11:33 - May 2 with 774 viewsitfcjoe

Let the gossip commence on 11:27 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

I think people are blinded by the last two seasons. We've been fantastic & this season we've vastly overachieved beyond everyone's expectations. I can't imagine anyone expected this in their wildest dreams.

Only have to look at Luton this season & you'd have to think we'd be potentially at a similar level to that. We'll have a turnaround of players etc - but reality is, a lot of these players were playing L1 last season & they'll now be up against PL clubs who all have bags of quality. Only have to look at the games against Leicester, Leeds & even Saints to see what we will be up against every week next season.

We just need to enjoy it & the hope would be if we did go down, we'd be much stronger for it.

Staying up is generally easier than going up - because it's much easier finding worse teams generally, especially in the age of points deductions!

One of Luton, Forest or Burnley will stay up despite being pretty rubbish all season long

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Let the gossip commence on 11:43 - May 2 with 741 viewsBluedandy

Let the gossip commence on 11:30 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

It's irrelevant. That Fulham squad was already full of 10m players & had been in the prem in recent years.

Our squad was playing in L1 last season!

So we accumulate more points than Fulham with a game to spare but that's irrelevant, how convenient.

If we go up then our squad will look very different from the squad that played in L1.

With your mindset we may as well not bother turning up next season.
Let the gossip commence on 11:54 - May 2 with 699 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 11:06 - May 2 by BlueNomad

Luton may yet stay up. They are certainly giving it a go, without having gone mad in the market, and I think if we go up we might well stay up.

Leicester, Forest are already in danger of points deductions. Things at Everton aren't good and I do wonder if Palace and Brentford have peaked.

How will the play-off winners get on?

(Of course no-one knows what will happen transfer-wise in the summer at any of these clubs)

I was thinking the other day that the points deductions which might affect one or two clubs next season could make it an advantageous season to go up. But it would still be very tough, particularly from the base of having a squad which was playing in League One last season.
Let the gossip commence on 11:54 - May 2 with 696 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 11:07 - May 2 by LA_Tractor_Boy

Someone who works in football said to me that if a manager has success at one club, it guarantees another four jobs.

We all hope it won't happen, but if we're promoted KMc's stock will never be higher. Even if he keeps us up next season.

Paul Lambert's career illustrates that!
Let the gossip commence on 11:54 - May 2 with 695 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 11:33 - May 2 by itfcjoe

Staying up is generally easier than going up - because it's much easier finding worse teams generally, especially in the age of points deductions!

One of Luton, Forest or Burnley will stay up despite being pretty rubbish all season long

Of course, but Forest spent 100's of millions!

It'll be a massive achievement for us to stay up next season. The only thing that gives me hope is the possible points deductions for other clubs.

Let the gossip commence on 11:56 - May 2 with 693 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 11:08 - May 2 by itfcjoe

Sadly Brighton are 5 steps ahead of where we are currently - if we get promoted on Saturday then we are 3-4 seasons of progress away from not even being considered for a relegation fight - they've seemingly leapt that hurdle now.

That being said, it seems unlikely for them to sack RDZ (or him walk away) and then pay to get KMc out here and get much change out of £12-15m so a high price to pay.

RDZ being overlooked for the big jobs is the best thing that can happen for us and remaining at Brighton cutting a frustrated figure

Agree in terms of seasons, but was thinking in terms of steps of management career development for KM. Brighton are a step or so in front of us, Man U ahead of that. Think RDZ departing and KM being top of their list is very likely, unfortunately, and not sure the money side of it would stand in their way if we're talking those sums.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Let the gossip commence on 11:58 - May 2 with 673 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 11:43 - May 2 by Bluedandy

So we accumulate more points than Fulham with a game to spare but that's irrelevant, how convenient.

If we go up then our squad will look very different from the squad that played in L1.

With your mindset we may as well not bother turning up next season.

You can't compare the Championship year on year. Fulham were spending 10m on Harry Wilson in the Championship the last time they won promotion whilst we signed a L2 striker (With potential) for 1m to help get us over the line.

We will of course make signings & improve the squad - but it's a huge job. Much of what we've built the last 2 seasons has been on the back of continuity, we wouldn't have that next season.

It's just the reality - doesn't mean it's not possible. Just important to enjoy the ride next season & if we do go down, come back stronger.

Let the gossip commence on 12:00 - May 2 with 647 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 11:54 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

I was thinking the other day that the points deductions which might affect one or two clubs next season could make it an advantageous season to go up. But it would still be very tough, particularly from the base of having a squad which was playing in League One last season.

The points deductions would certainly keep us interested, much like Burnley & Luton this season.

Let the gossip commence on 12:10 - May 2 with 607 viewsElderGrizzly

Let the gossip commence on 11:08 - May 2 by itfcjoe

And arguably he's underperforming at Brighton this season too, albeit with a European distraction.

Bournemouth ahead of them and Wolves not far behind, shows the middle part of the PL is rather congested.

Brighton are definitely ahead of us, but our hope is they aren't *that* far ahead to make McKenna want to take that gamble.
Let the gossip commence on 12:24 - May 2 with 572 viewsITFCBlues

Let the gossip commence on 12:10 - May 2 by ElderGrizzly

And arguably he's underperforming at Brighton this season too, albeit with a European distraction.

Bournemouth ahead of them and Wolves not far behind, shows the middle part of the PL is rather congested.

Brighton are definitely ahead of us, but our hope is they aren't *that* far ahead to make McKenna want to take that gamble.

Brighton crippled with injuries which has held them back in fairness.

Let the gossip commence on 13:23 - May 2 with 456 viewsElderGrizzly

Let the gossip commence on 11:54 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

On Brighton, hasn't Ashton referred to a partnership or at least a very close working relationship with the club?

If so, hopefully a firm 'no' from us would kill this off early on?

You'd hope McKenna would give us one more season at least as he can see his vision being carried out throughout the club, including the training ground etc.
Let the gossip commence on 13:28 - May 2 with 443 viewsdirtyboy

Let the gossip commence on 11:56 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Agree in terms of seasons, but was thinking in terms of steps of management career development for KM. Brighton are a step or so in front of us, Man U ahead of that. Think RDZ departing and KM being top of their list is very likely, unfortunately, and not sure the money side of it would stand in their way if we're talking those sums.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Your posting 'style' makes me feel like you know something we don't about McKenna and Brighton.
Let the gossip commence on 13:40 - May 2 with 391 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 12:10 - May 2 by ElderGrizzly

Four points isn't really significant statistically and they have a game in hand. Nevertheless, looks like he's probably taken them as far as he can in terms of his career development.
Let the gossip commence on 13:41 - May 2 with 388 viewsPhilTWTD

Let the gossip commence on 13:28 - May 2 by dirtyboy

Your posting 'style' makes me feel like you know something we don't about McKenna and Brighton.

Not particularly, just think Brighton has always made sense as his next destination.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024