Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let the gossip commence 19:24 - May 1 with 5188 viewsvilanovablue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/may/01/brighton-ipswich-kieran-mckenna

Apologies if already posted.
Let the gossip commence on 13:56 - May 2 with 443 viewsitfcjoe

Let the gossip commence on 11:56 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Agree in terms of seasons, but was thinking in terms of steps of management career development for KM. Brighton are a step or so in front of us, Man U ahead of that. Think RDZ departing and KM being top of their list is very likely, unfortunately, and not sure the money side of it would stand in their way if we're talking those sums.

This post has been edited by an administrator

On the money side though, I don't see them paying off RDZ to try and get McKenna - so as long as RDZ doesn't get offered a job elsewhere that he wants then we should be relatively safe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Let the gossip commence on 14:00 - May 2 with 421 views_clive_baker_

Let the gossip commence on 09:26 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Brighton are a step or so ahead of where we would be having been promoted. Looking at things with brutal honesty, keeping us - or any side which has just been promoted two divisions - up will be a very difficult task next year and, as Something says, managers can go from hero to zero very quickly.

Yep, there probably comes a point where you have to cash your chips while you're stock is as high as it is. 8 defeats in our first 10-12 games next season and Brighton are unlikely to be looking at him, as ridiculous as that is given it would be a huge ask to keep us up (IF we get there).
Let the gossip commence on 14:50 - May 2 with 367 viewsElderGrizzly

Let the gossip commence on 13:40 - May 2 by PhilTWTD

Four points isn't really significant statistically and they have a game in hand. Nevertheless, looks like he's probably taken them as far as he can in terms of his career development.

A reporter said last week, it all feels a bit stale since January which coincidentally was when RDZ started talking about 'bigger' jobs.
Let the gossip commence on 15:02 - May 2 with 344 viewsAsa

Let the gossip commence on 10:11 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

It's not a sideways step though is it...Fully established PL club who will have far more funds to spend than us...

The key with these things is always timing. Brighton seem miles ahead of us. In many ways they are.

But a year ago we were in League One and just before the takeover, a year or so earlier the likes of Wigan and Reading were more attractive clubs than us, a division above. As were Wycombe!

At the start of the season there was talk amongst Sunderland fans of going for McKenna and how much of a bigger club they are. We are now seemingly well above them in that order, as we are with West Brom, Norwich, Coventry all teams who could be looking on enviously at us next season. A season where we could now be a better proposition than Forest, Luton or Burnley, Sheffield United.

It changes very quickly. in 2023 we played Forest Green in the league. In 2024 we could be FOUR divisions above them.

As far ahead of us as Brighton are right now, could I see them going down next season? Potentially. Could I see us staying up? Yes.

On that basis, given everything McKenna has built here, the opportunities to push on, the ambition, the ownership, the good will he has here, it would be a massive risk for him to give all that up whilst we are on an upwards trajectory to go into any situation that could easily be worse than ours in no time. Brighton of late look well off it.

Once a really big club comes in or if we start to hit a ceiling or slide then I could understand him looking to leave. For now, if we go up, I think we are fine baring a massive opportunity or some form of disaster on the pitch.
Let the gossip commence on 15:06 - May 2 with 322 viewsKieran_Knows

Let the gossip commence on 11:27 - May 2 by ITFCBlues

I think people are blinded by the last two seasons. We've been fantastic & this season we've vastly overachieved beyond everyone's expectations. I can't imagine anyone expected this in their wildest dreams.

Only have to look at Luton this season & you'd have to think we'd be potentially at a similar level to that. We'll have a turnaround of players etc - but reality is, a lot of these players were playing L1 last season & they'll now be up against PL clubs who all have bags of quality. Only have to look at the games against Leicester, Leeds & even Saints to see what we will be up against every week next season.

We just need to enjoy it & the hope would be if we did go down, we'd be much stronger for it.

He could be linked with Bayern Munich tomorrow (now Rangnick has turned them down), and yet still people would convince themselves he's making a side wards step and should stay here.
[Post edited 2 May 15:08]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Let the gossip commence on 18:15 - May 2 with 216 viewscressi

Why if we go up Ipswich have more potential McKenna has a say here in everything go up the ground will be made bigger and updated.
Brighton have been poor for 3 months and may not be attractive as people think. And is De Zerbi that good or living on the side Potter built I'm not so sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024