Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow 23:30 - Apr 30 with 1363 views_clive_baker_

.It's 24 years ago since we got promoted to the premier league. A lifetime for some, certainly a generation ago.

At full time tonight I turned to my old man to my left and noticed a tear in his eye. He took me to Town games as soon as I could walk. He's told me more recently that there was a time I didn't enjoy it because I couldn't see, so my mum would take me to the wave machine at Crown Pools while he went to the football with my older sister. Then like a light switch it changed, and I was invested. We saw playoff heartache under Burley, promotion, finishing 5th in the premier league and waving our passports at Derby away, relegation, nearly going back up under Big Joe, what felt like forever in the Championship, League 1, Covid, promotion, and dare I say it....promotion again? After 5.5 years in the academy I was so distraught when I got told I wasn't being kept on, not because I wanted it that much, but because my recurring dream was to walk out wearing our badge and seeing my dads face up in the Pioneer. I never wanted it for me, but for him.

There's so much in life that's more important than football, there's absolutely no doubt about that. I know that all too well. We lost my mum a long time ago when I was only 12. My dad bust his balls to provide for me and my sister, always presented a happy exterior even though I know now how tough it was for him practically and emotionally. Standing there today next to him at the final whistle and sharing that moment is something I wont ever forget.

Fecking football eh. 1 more point. Please lets do it.
[Post edited 30 Apr 23:33]
Wow on 23:34 - Apr 30 with 1275 viewsNthQldITFC

First game I remember going to was with my old man's best mate one week when Dad couldn't go. Sat at the top of the Pioneer stand and watched D'Avray score against Liverpool (1-0 or 1-1, I can't remember).

Both of them are long gone now, but those early trips to watch Town with one or the other of them will always be very special to me.
[Post edited 30 Apr 23:41]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Wow on 23:35 - Apr 30 with 1250 views_clive_baker_

Pathetic isn't it? I'm close to shedding actual tears.

Genuine question for you, why is football so emotive? I think its the memories myself.
Wow on 23:37 - Apr 30 with 1197 viewsmrfixit426

Wow on 23:35 - Apr 30 by _clive_baker_

Genuine question for you, why is football so emotive? I think its the memories myself.

I watched the Stuart Pearce penalty against Spain in Euro 96 earlier this week on an ITV4 re-run of the best sporting moments of the 90s. Ended up sobbing, It's the greatest game in the world.
Wow on 23:42 - Apr 30 with 1149 viewsnshearman1

What a lovely message. I took my son aged 6 to Wembley in 2000, his first game. When Moggy scored the equaliser, the sudden noise and pandemonium was such a shock to him, he burst into tears. Now he's 30 and revelling in New Town. COYB!
Wow on 23:43 - Apr 30 with 1136 viewsNthQldITFC

It does make thinner the walls between this world and the one where some of our loved ones have gone, I think, for a while at least.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Wow on 23:48 - Apr 30 with 1108 viewsMVBlue

One of the things to remember is for the size of Ipswich, we do have a hell of a side that competes with the biggest clubs on the planet. I grew up going to Ipswich V Chelsea, Aston Villa, Leicester, in my local town club.

These days I live near Salisbury and Swindon, Towns of a similar size.

The difference is stark. Emotional investment in our local club, the pride. Of course its our Ipswich Town, our Blue Army.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Wow on 00:13 - May 1 with 986 viewsArnoldMoorhen

That's beautiful.

I hope you show your Dad that post.

Nah, sod that, I'll be directive:

You MUST show your Dad that post!
Wow on 00:26 - May 1 with 924 viewsIllinoisblue

Oof, seems to be a dust storm over here. 💙

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Wow on 00:31 - May 1 with 891 viewsChurchman

Wow on 00:13 - May 1 by ArnoldMoorhen

That's beautiful.

I hope you show your Dad that post.

Nah, sod that, I'll be directive:

You MUST show your Dad that post!

Agreed. It matters. Do show him that post.
Wow on 00:33 - May 1 with 889 viewsIllinoisblue

One answer to your question: many years ago I read a piece by John Peel (think it was in When Saturday Comes) and he compared the act of going to football as akin to a religious experience. The terrace as the place of communal worship, all praying for an outcome from above. And yes the memories. Watching tonight and when the cameras panned the (nervous!) away end I saw a couple of acquaintances who I used to go to games with back in late 90s and early 00s. Seeing that connection to the past and knowing they’ve done the very hard yards of the last two decades are about to see some sunshine…. Man, it just gets you like nothing else.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Wow on 00:59 - May 1 with 788 viewsCheltenham_Blue

F*|king hell man, you're going to make me cry.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Wow on 01:19 - May 1 with 750 viewsFrankMarshall

Wow on 00:33 - May 1 by Illinoisblue

One answer to your question: many years ago I read a piece by John Peel (think it was in When Saturday Comes) and he compared the act of going to football as akin to a religious experience. The terrace as the place of communal worship, all praying for an outcome from above. And yes the memories. Watching tonight and when the cameras panned the (nervous!) away end I saw a couple of acquaintances who I used to go to games with back in late 90s and early 00s. Seeing that connection to the past and knowing they’ve done the very hard yards of the last two decades are about to see some sunshine…. Man, it just gets you like nothing else.

Think the fact that the club has been through so much in the last 20 years makes a difference. The last two years have been crazily good, even if we don't go up on Saturday (I believe we will).
[Post edited 1 May 1:19]

Frank Marshall

Wow on 07:56 - May 1 with 492 viewsbenrhyddingblue

I’ve been married and divorced since we last made it to the Premier League and now have two sons who I’ve taken to games since they were very young. They, as we all have, have had to endure some awful seasons and football, and as we live in Yorkshire they have had to put up with some cr@p from friends (and non friends) at school, but they’ve stuck with it and I’m as delighted as them for the way we are now as anything.

Today is also my Mum’s funeral, which meant I couldn’t go last night. However I’ve woken up today with a big smile on my face and knowing the day, although will be a sad one, can also be a proper celebration of her life for me.
Wow on 09:01 - May 1 with 365 viewssoupytwist

Wow on 07:56 - May 1 by benrhyddingblue

I’ve been married and divorced since we last made it to the Premier League and now have two sons who I’ve taken to games since they were very young. They, as we all have, have had to endure some awful seasons and football, and as we live in Yorkshire they have had to put up with some cr@p from friends (and non friends) at school, but they’ve stuck with it and I’m as delighted as them for the way we are now as anything.

Today is also my Mum’s funeral, which meant I couldn’t go last night. However I’ve woken up today with a big smile on my face and knowing the day, although will be a sad one, can also be a proper celebration of her life for me.

Blimey, I guess that emotional roller coaster doesn't even begin to cover it but I hope you're able to get through today and that the end of this week will bring you something happy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024