Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong 14:02 - Apr 10 with 1052 viewsCopfordBlue

Momentum from last season, on and off the pitch , has been a big part of why we’re in the position we are. Crucially the players and manager know that this team thrive under end of season pressure because they experienced it last season and did the job when there was no margin for error.

I wouldn’t have trusted many of the teams we have had in the past, including the great ones, to get the result we need tonight and for the rest of the season. I trust this group though. It doesn’t mean we’ll definitely get the points we need to go up but there is no way that if we don’t it will be because of “bottle”.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:04 - Apr 10 with 1025 viewshomer_123

That rebuild required new owners and a new manager....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:07 - Apr 10 with 987 viewsLankHenners

Might have the right result there but not sure about the working out.

Think we have to see the relegation and eventual promotion as two distinct events, given one was under a previous ownership, and the other post-takeover with people actually knowing what they were doing in charge.

Do agree though that having this sort of experience previously is a help for us. Conversely, Leicester have had poor ends to their seasons for the last few years and might well 'bottle' it again this year.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:10 - Apr 10 with 958 viewsCopfordBlue

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:04 - Apr 10 by homer_123

That rebuild required new owners and a new manager....

It did. We were slowly wilting and dying as a club. I can see now that it had to get worse before it got better. For the first time I can see some positives in us going through those rotten years. Port Vale at the end of last season was a tough game but the players can draw on that experience tonight.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:16 - Apr 10 with 923 viewshomer_123

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:07 - Apr 10 by LankHenners

Think we have to see the relegation and eventual promotion as two distinct events, given one was under a previous ownership, and the other post-takeover with people actually knowing what they were doing in charge.

Do agree though that having this sort of experience previously is a help for us. Conversely, Leicester have had poor ends to their seasons for the last few years and might well 'bottle' it again this year.

Exactly Henners.

Accepting relegation was never right, under any circumstances - being relegated and us obtaining new owners are not mutually exclusive.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:23 - Apr 10 with 880 viewsStewart27

Relegation is not generally a good thing for any club. Not every team has had a GC20 style makeover like we’ve had. But I don’t believe that this would have happened has we not have got relegated. So for us it was the best possible thing that could have happened. Yes we had to endure league one for four seasons.

But I could not endure one more minute of the way things were panning out for us in the championship. And neither could 20,000 other people. Our club is better in every single way than it was 5-6 years ago.
True to an extent on 14:25 - Apr 10 with 864 viewsDyland

But as others have said, we were relegated under completely different ownership and management. Would Evans have sold if we were still in the Championship? We will never know. I think there's a bit of cognitive dissonance with believing relegation was somehow good.

Where I do agree is the momentum factor. I'm still convinced we'll have to play the fackin budgies in the playoffs but can we do what thems up the road did, as well as Saints, with a double promotion? We are probably closer in modus operandi to Lambert's grunts than Saints (still one of the best performances I've seen at PR at this level) but who cares... someone tell me we can do it please :)

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:50 - Apr 10 with 746 viewsRegencyBlue

Go down and rebuild can work if your owner isn’t a charlatan with no idea how to run a football club. If Evans had retained ownership there wouldn’t have been any rebuilding, just further managed decline!

As it was even the illustrious Mr Evans finally realised his time here was done and sold up. Had he not done so I firmly believe that we would be a League 2 club by now.
Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:53 - Apr 10 with 709 viewshype313

If Evans was still in situ, we would be staring down the barrel of relegation from League Two.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:57 - Apr 10 with 690 viewsSteve_M

Never bought into the “go down and rebuild” theory but I was wrong on 14:07 - Apr 10 by LankHenners

We got lucky with the change of ownership, there might be an argument ME wouldn't have sold without relegation but that's impossible to know. What I do know is that with him still in charge we were drifting ever downwards and looking at a long-term future in the bottom two divisions (at best).

It was a completely different club that got promoted in just about every way that isn't ethereal. It's great at the moment but there were some very dark moments between relegation and last May.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024