Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bottled beer trialling 11:49 - Apr 9 with 2948 viewsRyorry

Am in the lovely situation of finding that, after 30 years, my guts are now allowing me to drink beer once more :) Quite a revelation coming back to it, had forgotten how bitter 'bitter' actually is! but it remains my favourite drink, & my taste-buds are being re-educated - nice work, they got it ...

Started with alcohol-free as wasn't sure if I was OK with hops, but no problem. The 'like' test so far then -

St Peter's organic best bitter 4.1% (brewed in Suffolk) 9/10 - really nice, mild, malty taste.
Erdinger alcohol-free 0.5% - possibly the most refreshing drink of any kind I've ever had - 9/10
Fullers London Pride 4.7% 7/10
Small Beer IPA 2.3% 7/10
Erdinger Weissbier 5.3% 7/10 (a wheat beer, "bottle fermentation").
Empress organic lager, 4.5% (gluten-free) 5/10
St Austell Tribute Pale Ale 4.2% 4/10
Adnams Ghost Ship Pale Ale alcohol-free (0.5%) 3/10 - nice citrus-tasting drink without the citrus, but I wouldn't call it beer!

Also an honourable mention for Guinness alcohol-free cans - but the cans themselves are a total pain - impossible to open without contents foaming over, even if you've let em rest for 30 mins on work surface beforehand.

More to follow! Any recommendations for me to try?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bottled beer trialling on 12:08 - Apr 9 with 1787 viewsredrickstuhaart

Erdinger is the least good of the big german weissbeers. Franziskaner or better still wiehanstephaner from sainsburys is a massive upgrade.
Bottled beer trialling on 12:13 - Apr 9 with 1754 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 12:08 - Apr 9 by redrickstuhaart

Erdinger is the least good of the big german weissbeers. Franziskaner or better still wiehanstephaner from sainsburys is a massive upgrade.

Just in time to amend my Sains order for tomorrow, cheers!

Bottled beer trialling on 12:27 - Apr 9 with 1724 viewsWeWereZombies

Titanic Plum Porter

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Bottled beer trialling on 12:34 - Apr 9 with 1690 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 12:27 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

Titanic Plum Porter

Cheers - updated my order - that's twice in 10 mins now!

Bottled beer trialling on 12:36 - Apr 9 with 1683 viewsGuthrum

Bear in mind Bitter has got more bitter in recent years than it used to be a few dacades ago, even some established brews. The "craft revolution" promoted highly-hopped flavours (vastly over-hopped, in my opinion) and this has crept into the mainstream also.

Alcohol-free beer will still have hops in it. They are part of the flavour - and also a natural preservative.

Something like Butcombe Bitter is a bit more middle of the road. Edit: Or Butcombe Gold, which isn't a golden ale in the modern sense.
For interesting flavours of bitter, Timothy Taylor "Landlord" and Theakston "Old Peculier" are worth a try.
My favourite remains Adnams "Broadside".
[Post edited 9 Apr 12:41]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bottled beer trialling on 12:41 - Apr 9 with 1647 viewsRadlett_blue

I remember my first experience of wheat beer some years ago. I was in an unfamiliar pub, fancied a lager & saw a pump with a picture of an Alpine gentleman. I asked the barmaid "what sort of beer is that?"
I thought she said "that's a weak beer" so I replied "No! I don't want a weak beer".
It turned out she had said "wheat beer".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Bottled beer trialling on 12:44 - Apr 9 with 1638 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 12:36 - Apr 9 by Guthrum

Bear in mind Bitter has got more bitter in recent years than it used to be a few dacades ago, even some established brews. The "craft revolution" promoted highly-hopped flavours (vastly over-hopped, in my opinion) and this has crept into the mainstream also.

Alcohol-free beer will still have hops in it. They are part of the flavour - and also a natural preservative.

Something like Butcombe Bitter is a bit more middle of the road. Edit: Or Butcombe Gold, which isn't a golden ale in the modern sense.
For interesting flavours of bitter, Timothy Taylor "Landlord" and Theakston "Old Peculier" are worth a try.

How interesting, thanks - not just down to my tastebuds then.

Will try (or re-try) all of those thanks - I loved the Theakston beers back in the day, particularly their Pale Ale, and also the occasional Old Peculiar in winter. Timothy Taylor 'Landlord' was a fav of my ex's, particularly well kept in cask in the Haworth pub that's half-way up the main street, iirc.

Bottled beer trialling on 13:00 - Apr 9 with 1592 viewsstonojnr

Bottled beer trialling on 12:27 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

Titanic Plum Porter

not made with real plums though
Login to get fewer ads

Bottled beer trialling on 13:03 - Apr 9 with 1572 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm quite partial to a Bishop's Finger, which seems to always be extraordinarily good value at the supermarket for some reason.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Bottled beer trialling on 13:04 - Apr 9 with 1571 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:00 - Apr 9 by stonojnr

Need Slivovitz for that - a fav of my late Dad's, dunno if it was watered down back in the day when he drank it to the 50% alcohol level it is now 😂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz

Bottled beer trialling on 13:06 - Apr 9 with 1558 viewsRadlett_blue

Shipyard Low Tide (0.5%) is currently my favourite of the low alcohol ales.

Bottled beer trialling on 13:10 - Apr 9 with 1535 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:06 - Apr 9 by Radlett_blue

Got one in stock awaiting its turn, thanks!

Must say the supermarkets are really great at stocking such beers.

Bottled beer trialling on 13:13 - Apr 9 with 1519 viewsstonojnr

Bottled beer trialling on 12:36 - Apr 9 by Guthrum

think youll find most of them went the other way because people always complained they dont like the bitter taste, which is why you end up with Doom bar tasting like a sugary mess, its not the only reason for that, but certainly alot of traditional bitters were toned down to have more mass appeal.

and is also why alot of craft beers are sugary messes also, as the full hop bite isnt that appealling, and mixed with over gassed CO2 makes you think you are drinking salt water, though interestingly you can numb your taste buds to hops and with the cooler temperature dulling the senses anyway, which is also why craft beers searching for taste end up stupidly overhopped.

Landlord is great on cask, its too variable in bottle though to be guaranteed, plus they seem to go through phases where brew batches just arent right

Butcombe gold is a classic example of them trying to tone down a bitter to have wider appeal, I think Rare Breed Pale is probably the best one they produce still
Bottled beer trialling on 13:15 - Apr 9 with 1505 viewsstonojnr

Bottled beer trialling on 13:06 - Apr 9 by Radlett_blue

Big Drop Brewing make the best alcohol free beers going (St Peters probably the worst Ive tried), and based in Ipswich too, so supporting a local brewer.
Bottled beer trialling on 13:17 - Apr 9 with 1501 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:13 - Apr 9 by stonojnr

think youll find most of them went the other way because people always complained they dont like the bitter taste, which is why you end up with Doom bar tasting like a sugary mess, its not the only reason for that, but certainly alot of traditional bitters were toned down to have more mass appeal.

and is also why alot of craft beers are sugary messes also, as the full hop bite isnt that appealling, and mixed with over gassed CO2 makes you think you are drinking salt water, though interestingly you can numb your taste buds to hops and with the cooler temperature dulling the senses anyway, which is also why craft beers searching for taste end up stupidly overhopped.

Landlord is great on cask, its too variable in bottle though to be guaranteed, plus they seem to go through phases where brew batches just arent right

Butcombe gold is a classic example of them trying to tone down a bitter to have wider appeal, I think Rare Breed Pale is probably the best one they produce still

Rare Breed Pale added to list, ta 👍

Bottled beer trialling on 13:18 - Apr 9 with 1492 viewsWeWereZombies

Bottled beer trialling on 13:00 - Apr 9 by stonojnr

Shocking, next you will be telling me that frozen fish products that come out of that factory in Lowestoft do not actually have bird's eyes in them...

Bottled beer trialling on 13:21 - Apr 9 with 1477 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:15 - Apr 9 by stonojnr

Big Drop Brewing make the best alcohol free beers going (St Peters probably the worst Ive tried), and based in Ipswich too, so supporting a local brewer.

Is it a myth about bottles keeping beer better than cans? Cos I can only find those in cans.

Bottled beer trialling on 13:23 - Apr 9 with 1463 viewsandytown

Bottled beer trialling on 12:44 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

How interesting, thanks - not just down to my tastebuds then.

Will try (or re-try) all of those thanks - I loved the Theakston beers back in the day, particularly their Pale Ale, and also the occasional Old Peculiar in winter. Timothy Taylor 'Landlord' was a fav of my ex's, particularly well kept in cask in the Haworth pub that's half-way up the main street, iirc.

Harvey’s Best Sussex bitter is good.
Tribute (Cornwall)
Fullers ESB
Bath Ales
Bishop Nick (Essex)

Not seen it in years, but Benskins (Watford?) bitter always seemed to help with colds!
Always preferred Murphys to Guinness for a stout
Bottled beer trialling on 13:23 - Apr 9 with 1461 viewsWeWereZombies

Bottled beer trialling on 13:10 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

Got one in stock awaiting its turn, thanks!

Must say the supermarkets are really great at stocking such beers.

I'm quite looking forward to the midnight posting from you tonight, Ryorry, it's been a while since we have had a good selection of random off topic misspelt posts that frequently spill over into bile and animosity. Actually I think it will be a first for you...

Bottled beer trialling on 13:26 - Apr 9 with 1437 viewsBasuco

I would strongly recommend getting a mixed case of golden ales from best of British website, they provide a lovely selection of ales from small breweries, every bottle is a voyage in fantastic beer.
https://www.bestofbritishbeer.co.uk/beer-hampers/beer/large-cases-beer/24-karat-

Or if your taste is not purely golden ale others are available.
https://www.bestofbritishbeer.co.uk/beer-hampers/beer/large-cases-beer.html
Bottled beer trialling on 13:27 - Apr 9 with 1430 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:23 - Apr 9 by WeWereZombies

I'm quite looking forward to the midnight posting from you tonight, Ryorry, it's been a while since we have had a good selection of random off topic misspelt posts that frequently spill over into bile and animosity. Actually I think it will be a first for you...

Just wait till 4am!

Bottled beer trialling on 13:31 - Apr 9 with 1417 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:26 - Apr 9 by Basuco

I would strongly recommend getting a mixed case of golden ales from best of British website, they provide a lovely selection of ales from small breweries, every bottle is a voyage in fantastic beer.
https://www.bestofbritishbeer.co.uk/beer-hampers/beer/large-cases-beer/24-karat-

Or if your taste is not purely golden ale others are available.
https://www.bestofbritishbeer.co.uk/beer-hampers/beer/large-cases-beer.html

Wow, my birthday could be coming very early!

Really useful, those look great, cheers.

Bottled beer trialling on 13:32 - Apr 9 with 1405 viewsBasuco

Also try Alhambra 1925 amber lager and Paulena Munich Helles both excellent German lagers. I would add that the Alhambra is a lager for ale drinkers while the Paulena is a good all round lager, slips down far too easily on a warm Summers day.
Bottled beer trialling on 13:46 - Apr 9 with 1365 viewsBlueBoots

Rarely drink full strength beer anymore, but used to enjoy Belgian fruit beers. If you liked the Erdinger alcohol-free, they do a grapefruit version which is even more refreshing than their standard version!

EDIT: Just seen the low rating you gave a citrusy tasting beer, so maybe this one won't be to your taste after all
[Post edited 9 Apr 13:51]

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Bottled beer trialling on 14:41 - Apr 9 with 1303 viewsRadlett_blue

Bottled beer trialling on 13:23 - Apr 9 by andytown

Harvey’s Best Sussex bitter is good.
Tribute (Cornwall)
Fullers ESB
Bath Ales
Bishop Nick (Essex)

Not seen it in years, but Benskins (Watford?) bitter always seemed to help with colds!
Always preferred Murphys to Guinness for a stout

Benskins used to be the main Watford brewer & was taken over by Ind Coope in 1957. The Watford brewery went in the late 1970s but they revived the Benskins brand in the mid 1980s. Not sure if the brand is still used much. The ghastly Red Lion, opposite Watford Fc's ground, used to be branded Benskins. The old brewer had strong ties with Watford FC, purchasing the current Vicarage Road ground in 1921 and leasing it to the club at a peppercorn rent. In 2001, the club purchased the ground from Punch Taverns, who had inherited the freehold as part of their acquisition of the Allied Domecq estate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024