Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bottled beer trialling 11:49 - Apr 9 with 3179 viewsRyorry

Am in the lovely situation of finding that, after 30 years, my guts are now allowing me to drink beer once more :) Quite a revelation coming back to it, had forgotten how bitter 'bitter' actually is! but it remains my favourite drink, & my taste-buds are being re-educated - nice work, they got it ...

Started with alcohol-free as wasn't sure if I was OK with hops, but no problem. The 'like' test so far then -

St Peter's organic best bitter 4.1% (brewed in Suffolk) 9/10 - really nice, mild, malty taste.
Erdinger alcohol-free 0.5% - possibly the most refreshing drink of any kind I've ever had - 9/10
Fullers London Pride 4.7% 7/10
Small Beer IPA 2.3% 7/10
Erdinger Weissbier 5.3% 7/10 (a wheat beer, "bottle fermentation").
Empress organic lager, 4.5% (gluten-free) 5/10
St Austell Tribute Pale Ale 4.2% 4/10
Adnams Ghost Ship Pale Ale alcohol-free (0.5%) 3/10 - nice citrus-tasting drink without the citrus, but I wouldn't call it beer!

Also an honourable mention for Guinness alcohol-free cans - but the cans themselves are a total pain - impossible to open without contents foaming over, even if you've let em rest for 30 mins on work surface beforehand.

More to follow! Any recommendations for me to try?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bottled beer trialling on 09:35 - Apr 11 with 306 viewsBluish

Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold - nectar of the gods.
Bottled beer trialling on 13:36 - Apr 11 with 265 viewsstonojnr

Bottled beer trialling on 13:21 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

Is it a myth about bottles keeping beer better than cans? Cos I can only find those in cans.

Depends :)

Alot of it is down to the bottling/ canning process a brewery uses. The bigger brewers are alot more reliable and will often argue beer in a can is less likely to be light struck (avoid beer in clear glass bottles) and can be "fresher" as bottle cap seals can degrade over time.

But its always pasteurised beer in cans, because adding yeast would make the beer ferment and explode the can if not left in a fridge, Jeremy Clarkson memorably discovered that with his cider they make a while back.

Whilst bottled beers can handle the pressure brewery conditioning gives it, though it can be variable, again down to bottling process they use.

Tribute in cans is pretty good imo,Southwold bitter is ok as is Ghost ship, in cans, and not much different to their bottles.

Whilst GK ipa in cans is preferable to bottles because they use clear glass bottles for some reason.

Badger brewery recently swapped from clear bottles to brown and their beers do taste better now imo. They do cans as well but not round these parts.
Bottled beer trialling on 13:58 - Apr 11 with 259 viewsRyorry

Bottled beer trialling on 13:36 - Apr 11 by stonojnr

Depends :)

Alot of it is down to the bottling/ canning process a brewery uses. The bigger brewers are alot more reliable and will often argue beer in a can is less likely to be light struck (avoid beer in clear glass bottles) and can be "fresher" as bottle cap seals can degrade over time.

But its always pasteurised beer in cans, because adding yeast would make the beer ferment and explode the can if not left in a fridge, Jeremy Clarkson memorably discovered that with his cider they make a while back.

Whilst bottled beers can handle the pressure brewery conditioning gives it, though it can be variable, again down to bottling process they use.

Tribute in cans is pretty good imo,Southwold bitter is ok as is Ghost ship, in cans, and not much different to their bottles.

Whilst GK ipa in cans is preferable to bottles because they use clear glass bottles for some reason.

Badger brewery recently swapped from clear bottles to brown and their beers do taste better now imo. They do cans as well but not round these parts.

Very useful, ta 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bottled beer trialling on 21:35 - Apr 11 with 185 viewsDBaldy

Bottled beer trialling on 12:50 - Apr 10 by Ryorry

So, from what I've gleaned from yourself, N2 & Redrickstuhaart, bottles are better than cans as long as you store them in the dark and at the correct temperature, is that rght?

Looking up correct temps, I came across these two helpful articles - the first is USA-based, so 50F = 10C & 55F = 12.7C.

Thought I was gonna have to buy an extra fridge for beer! till I remembered house has an old cellar beneath outhouse.

Franziskane, Wiehanstephaner & Titanic Plum Porter all arrived in this a.m.'s Sains delivery, thanks Redrick & Zombies 👍

https://www.hopculture.com/the-hop-review/how-to-store-beer/

https://londonbeercompetition.com/en/resources/beer-guide-2524/how-to-store-beer

That cellar sounds ideal.

Back when I drank real ale I used to keep my bottles in the garage, although it could get pretty warm in there in the summer so that wasn't always ideal.

When we moved house 5 years ago our new house had a built-in fridge, so our old fridge became a dedicated beer fridge - I try to make sure it stays well stocked!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024