Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever league we are in next season 09:51 - Apr 7 with 2387 viewsgtsb1966

I would be amazed if we have the same keeper. Not having a dig at all but I think we will need better. OK keeper but always an accident waiting to happen. Can see him going in the summer.
Whatever league we are in next season on 09:52 - Apr 7 with 2185 viewsMK1

He is in the running for player of the season.
Whatever league we are in next season on 09:56 - Apr 7 with 2146 viewsElephantintheRoom

Maybe you haven’t noticed that he’s pivotal to the way the team plays and could be player of the season?

Or did you mean Walton? Having one of the top wage earners warming the bench IS something of a problem.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:08 - Apr 7 with 2095 viewsCaptainAhab

Whatever league we are in next season on 09:56 - Apr 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Maybe you haven’t noticed that he’s pivotal to the way the team plays and could be player of the season?

Or did you mean Walton? Having one of the top wage earners warming the bench IS something of a problem.

Exactly, so much of the good stuff this team does starts with Hladky. I can't imagine it'd be easy to find someone who is as good with the ball AND would be an upgraded keeper too
Whatever league we are in next season on 10:09 - Apr 7 with 2088 viewsVanSaParody

Ok, I never played professionally, but played a decent level, & as a 'keeper, I'd be lining up a wall of 4 to defend a free kick that centrally

I'd also be telling the wall in no uncertain terms to keep tightly together/no gaps, stand on your toes & no jumping (having organised the tallest in the wall at the end that covers the post Nodge scored in - with the 2nd from last at that end being in line, dead level with that post to make it harder to be curled outside the wall & on target)

Apart from a massive deflection, you can expect rarely to be beaten from a direct free kick

Usually, a keeper makes a mistake & it's a goal, so it's immediately highlighted, so it's very unforgiving
You can forgive a keeper a mistake or two over a season, as sometimes a mistake doesn't always cost the game, but something as simple as lining up a wall to defend a free kick from THERE, & losing 1-0 (least of all in a derby) means for me, Walton MUST now start

COYB's!
[Post edited 7 Apr 10:22]
Whatever league we are in next season on 10:24 - Apr 7 with 1977 viewsbilllm

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:09 - Apr 7 by VanSaParody

Ok, I never played professionally, but played a decent level, & as a 'keeper, I'd be lining up a wall of 4 to defend a free kick that centrally

I'd also be telling the wall in no uncertain terms to keep tightly together/no gaps, stand on your toes & no jumping (having organised the tallest in the wall at the end that covers the post Nodge scored in - with the 2nd from last at that end being in line, dead level with that post to make it harder to be curled outside the wall & on target)

Apart from a massive deflection, you can expect rarely to be beaten from a direct free kick

Usually, a keeper makes a mistake & it's a goal, so it's immediately highlighted, so it's very unforgiving
You can forgive a keeper a mistake or two over a season, as sometimes a mistake doesn't always cost the game, but something as simple as lining up a wall to defend a free kick from THERE, & losing 1-0 (least of all in a derby) means for me, Walton MUST now start

COYB's!

Big mistake, how big we will find out in a month,
Not his fault but Cardiff to we'd be flying if it wasn't for that debacle,
Can we come back next season if we don't go up simple,
Yes we're only going to get better technical players and fitness is our key( though we look tired now but any other season we'd be up)
Next year we will go up if not now, super blues
Whatever league we are in next season on 10:32 - Apr 7 with 1915 viewsbraveblue

So wrong. He has been excellent.
Whatever league we are in next season on 10:32 - Apr 7 with 1911 viewscressi

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:24 - Apr 7 by billlm

Big mistake, how big we will find out in a month,
Not his fault but Cardiff to we'd be flying if it wasn't for that debacle,
Can we come back next season if we don't go up simple,
Yes we're only going to get better technical players and fitness is our key( though we look tired now but any other season we'd be up)
Next year we will go up if not now, super blues

Have heard we have looked at Semy Dieng at Middlesbrough ex QPR not sure which keepers here are staying or leaving but another keeper meant to be good with his feet.
Whatever league we are in next season on 10:37 - Apr 7 with 1875 viewsbilllm

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:32 - Apr 7 by cressi

Have heard we have looked at Semy Dieng at Middlesbrough ex QPR not sure which keepers here are staying or leaving but another keeper meant to be good with his feet.

See if hladky signs a new deal should have known by now
Login to get fewer ads

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:49 - Apr 7 with 1821 viewsVanSaParody

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:32 - Apr 7 by braveblue

So wrong. He has been excellent.

Hladky has undoubtedly won us games over the season, too, I've absolutely no problem with all the performances that far outweigh the points we've dropped from errors, but it's POINTS NOT performances that matter now

At such a critical moment I'd hate us to miss such a great opportunity we are currently in, by keep starting such a unique & key responsibility to someone who is now making such costly, fundamental errors at absolutely the wrong end of the season

There is of course the argument that if you start Walton now, he won't be match sharp, which could also cost us

In Keiran we trust - COYB's!
[Post edited 7 Apr 10:54]
Whatever league we are in next season on 11:05 - Apr 7 with 1741 viewsstrikalite

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:49 - Apr 7 by VanSaParody

Hladky has undoubtedly won us games over the season, too, I've absolutely no problem with all the performances that far outweigh the points we've dropped from errors, but it's POINTS NOT performances that matter now

At such a critical moment I'd hate us to miss such a great opportunity we are currently in, by keep starting such a unique & key responsibility to someone who is now making such costly, fundamental errors at absolutely the wrong end of the season

There is of course the argument that if you start Walton now, he won't be match sharp, which could also cost us

In Keiran we trust - COYB's!
[Post edited 7 Apr 10:54]

ALL keepers make mistakes, the modern keeper now has to be very good on the ball, Hladky is certainly that, very hard to find keepers now that tick every single box...Walton is arguably a better keeper than Hladky at his best, but not in terms of his touch on the ball, it's this that gives Hladky the number One starting position now..
Whatever league we are in next season on 11:06 - Apr 7 with 1740 viewsGlasgowBlue

He’ll probably come third in the POTY awards after Morsy and Davis.

He’s been instrumental in the way we play and we have scored so many goals from moves started by him luring two or three opposition players out of position.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Whatever league we are in next season on 11:07 - Apr 7 with 1730 viewsbournemouthblue

If we don't go up, Hladky will have a choice to make, his contract is up and he will get offers

I think Celtic were interested, that would be an interesting one. Who could blame him if he fancied a crack at that one?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Whatever league we are in next season on 11:12 - Apr 7 with 1701 viewsKentish_Tractor

It's a difficult one.

If you take it from a purely statistical viewpoint to judge a goalkeeper, he has the 3rd highest clean sheets in the division.

BUT - from his actual save percentages - he has one of the lowest save percentages in the division (and as a team we have one of the highest shots to conceeded ratios). And his expected goals conceeded vs actual goals conceeded is around average.

He is one of those keepers that on his day can win you game as he does make some exceptional saves - plus generally he is good with his feet and can contribute towards a goal. His one-on-one saves are far batter than say Waltons for example and some of the best i've seen in a long time from a town keeper.

BUT IMHO he is also one of those keepers who can equally lose you a game through a mistake - eg yesterday and at other points throughout the season - and I would say he's slightly more error-prone than most.

For me I think he isn't tall enough to be a top keeper - he can't dominate his area or claim crosses as well as the bigger keepers can which relieves pressue on the defence (how many do we conceed from pinball inside the area). He's also not tall enough to reach the corners which means he has to guess and dive early, and sometimes he doesn't set his feet right (ala yesterday) - Great if he gets it right - but embarrasing when he guesses wrong.

Therefore all things considered I'd rate him as an average Championship keeper. But top teams need a top keeper. I wouldn't say Walton overall is any better. Therefore I would agree with the OP that we probably could do better - however how much it will cost to replace him with a top level keeper I do not know. If we are still in the championship then money may be better spent elsewhere (and who knows - Slicker may get a chance and we see if he's good enough). I also think this is why Town aren't busting a gut to keep him on - if we were he would already be tied up for next season. I'd like to replace him if the right player becomes available at the right price, but if we don't go up we could certainly do worse than keep him on.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Whatever league we are in next season on 11:20 - Apr 7 with 1663 viewsChrisd

Whatever league we are in next season on 10:09 - Apr 7 by VanSaParody

COYB's!

That free kick yesterday was a long way out, Chaplin needed to be braver than what he was the fact he turned his back in the wall made his surface area smaller. I would like to see it again as I don't feel Hladky uses his feet, although I could be wrong, just dives where he's set himself, instead of trying to get a quick half a step in to allow him to cover more of his goal with his dive. He won't need any of us to tell him, I'm sure he would be disappointed with that goal, but Chaplin could've helped him more too.
[Post edited 7 Apr 11:26]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Whatever league we are in next season on 11:31 - Apr 7 with 1609 viewsSwailsey

It was a mistake yesterday, but it happens. Was he the reason we looked tired? The reason we had our first shot on target at 60 minutes? Of course not. It was a poor day all round. But, we’re still second and it’s still in our hands.

I still believe he’s won us more than he’s lost us. Walton dropped clangers in the league below. Life of a keeper init.
[Post edited 7 Apr 11:31]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Whatever league we are in next season on 11:57 - Apr 7 with 1533 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Hladky has defied the doubters, of which I was one, but he still doesn't fill me with confidence I'm afraid. He punches way too many crosses for my liking.

FWIW I think he'll leave in the summer. He's a free agent who has plied his trade in the lower leagues for the most part. I don't begrudge him a decent payday one bit. I think he'd have signed by now if he was staying

Poll: Our final position

Whatever league we are in next season on 12:19 - Apr 7 with 1458 viewspointofblue

Whatever league we are in next season on 11:57 - Apr 7 by southnorfolkblue

Hladky has defied the doubters, of which I was one, but he still doesn't fill me with confidence I'm afraid. He punches way too many crosses for my liking.

FWIW I think he'll leave in the summer. He's a free agent who has plied his trade in the lower leagues for the most part. I don't begrudge him a decent payday one bit. I think he'd have signed by now if he was staying

Have we offered him a contract?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Whatever league we are in next season on 12:31 - Apr 7 with 1418 viewsJ2BLUE

Easy to criticise but how many of us expected the ball to be hit like that? Got to give the free kick taker some praise for a pretty unique free kick.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Whatever league we are in next season on 12:33 - Apr 7 with 1388 viewsbazza

People have lost their minds over yesterday’s result . Or this is a quality wind up.
Whatever league we are in next season on 12:43 - Apr 7 with 1329 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Whatever league we are in next season on 12:19 - Apr 7 by pointofblue

Have we offered him a contract?

Fairly sure he has said that there are ongoing discussions....whatever that means. Only thing for sure is that he hasn't signed a new deal.

Poll: Our final position

Whatever league we are in next season on 18:00 - Apr 7 with 1001 viewslmfcblue

Without his performances especially in the first half of the season we wouldn’t be where we are.
Whatever league we are in next season on 18:47 - Apr 7 with 893 viewsGeoffSentence

how is "always an accident waiting to happen" not a dig?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Whatever league we are in next season on 18:56 - Apr 7 with 858 viewsgtsb1966

Whatever league we are in next season on 18:47 - Apr 7 by GeoffSentence

how is "always an accident waiting to happen" not a dig?

Because it's not his fault he isn't good enough for a side looking to progress further. You wait and see ,come August he won't be our starting keeper.
Whatever league we are in next season on 18:58 - Apr 7 with 847 viewsMK1

Whatever league we are in next season on 18:56 - Apr 7 by gtsb1966

Because it's not his fault he isn't good enough for a side looking to progress further. You wait and see ,come August he won't be our starting keeper.

And if he is, I am sure you will come on here to apologies to a player that has been fantastic for us this season.
Whatever league we are in next season on 19:04 - Apr 7 with 807 viewsgtsb1966

Whatever league we are in next season on 18:58 - Apr 7 by MK1

And if he is, I am sure you will come on here to apologies to a player that has been fantastic for us this season.

100%
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024