Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quote of the day to unpick 18:00 - Mar 22 with 2516 viewsfactual_blue

From Nicky Campbell's phone-in about Nike's excellent new kit design for the England men's team.

'Taxi driver Joe in Stirling said he had "steam" coming out of his ears: "People died for that flag thousands of years ago".

Over to you.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:02 - Mar 22 with 2003 viewsFreddies_Ears

I had to turn the radio off. I now wish they'd gone the whole way and made it rainbow colours.
Quote of the day to unpick on 18:09 - Mar 22 with 1962 viewsfactual_blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:02 - Mar 22 by Freddies_Ears

I had to turn the radio off. I now wish they'd gone the whole way and made it rainbow colours.

The points from that quote that struck me were:

1. Joe is in Stirling.
2. 'Thousands of years'. Really?

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:12 - Mar 22 with 1939 viewsKeno

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:09 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

1. Joe is in Stirling.

You can take our land but ye canna take mae taxi

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:16 - Mar 22 with 1911 viewsfactual_blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:12 - Mar 22 by Keno

You can take our land but ye canna take mae taxi

Why are taxi drivers all odd?

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:18 - Mar 22 with 1903 viewsKeno

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:16 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

Why are taxi drivers all odd?

Petrol fumes

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:24 - Mar 22 with 1877 viewsfactual_blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:18 - Mar 22 by Keno

Petrol fumes

Surely diesel fumes?

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:38 - Mar 22 with 1847 viewsronnyd

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:24 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

Surely diesel fumes?

Electric shock now.
Quote of the day to unpick on 21:43 - Mar 22 with 1718 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

Is his taxi a DeLorean ?

Login to get fewer ads

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:21 - Mar 22 with 1681 viewsfactual_blue

Oh dear.

More silly downvoting.

Can't you see the utter stupidity of what Joe from Stirling said?

It's up there with the diabetic who, during brexit, said he didn't care if a no deal brexit mean he was no longer able to get the insulin keeping him alive.

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:22 - Mar 22 with 1679 viewsChurchman

The flag is thought to go back to the crusades, maybe earlier. So 1000 years ago would be a little more accurate.

Personally, I don’t think it should be messed about with any more than the Scottish Saltire flag should have Nicola Sturgeon’s Winnebago on it or the Welsh dragon replaced with a terrier. Just a view and an image on an overpriced bin bag of a shirt is hardly going to keep me awake at night.
Quote of the day to unpick on 22:22 - Mar 22 with 1672 viewsfactual_blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 18:09 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

1. Joe is in Stirling.

See my response to the other downvote in this thread.

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:37 - Mar 22 with 1653 viewsfactual_blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:22 - Mar 22 by Churchman

The flag is thought to go back to the crusades, maybe earlier. So 1000 years ago would be a little more accurate.

Personally, I don’t think it should be messed about with any more than the Scottish Saltire flag should have Nicola Sturgeon’s Winnebago on it or the Welsh dragon replaced with a terrier. Just a view and an image on an overpriced bin bag of a shirt is hardly going to keep me awake at night.

It wasn't a flag of England until much later than that. Whilst it featured in royal coats of arms from the late 14th century, it wasn't really a national flag until the dynastic union of England and Scotland in 1603.

The notion of nationhood and the symbols of nationhood is complex, and nations weren't really a concept in medieval Europe: the Hundred Years' War, for example, wasn't a war between the nations of England and France, but between feuding dynasties about who owed allegiance to whom.

The football connection is even more recent. If you look at footage of the 1966 World Cup Final, most of the flags in Wembley were the Union Flag, not that of St George.

Quote of the day to unpick on 23:38 - Mar 22 with 1566 viewsWeWereZombies

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:37 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

It wasn't a flag of England until much later than that. Whilst it featured in royal coats of arms from the late 14th century, it wasn't really a national flag until the dynastic union of England and Scotland in 1603.

The notion of nationhood and the symbols of nationhood is complex, and nations weren't really a concept in medieval Europe: the Hundred Years' War, for example, wasn't a war between the nations of England and France, but between feuding dynasties about who owed allegiance to whom.

The football connection is even more recent. If you look at footage of the 1966 World Cup Final, most of the flags in Wembley were the Union Flag, not that of St George.

Although the Union flag was a Scots idea (James I of England was James VI of Scotland first) so maybe Joe in Stirling was just getting sentimental about the inclusion of the Cross of St George into his national flag. On the other hand there were a couple of nasty and very bloody defeats for England in Stirling. There again the Waitrose must make it practically English these days..

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Quote of the day to unpick on 23:43 - Mar 22 with 1557 viewsfactual_blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 23:38 - Mar 22 by WeWereZombies

Although the Union flag was a Scots idea (James I of England was James VI of Scotland first) so maybe Joe in Stirling was just getting sentimental about the inclusion of the Cross of St George into his national flag. On the other hand there were a couple of nasty and very bloody defeats for England in Stirling. There again the Waitrose must make it practically English these days..

I think the most plausible explanation is that Joe in Stirling hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

These were the King's Colours put together for the Union of the Crowns in 1603. As you say, James V!/! doodled a number of designs, when not writing Witch-hunting For Dummies.

[Post edited 22 Mar 23:46]

Quote of the day to unpick on 23:55 - Mar 22 with 1520 viewsBigalhunter

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:21 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

Oh dear.

More silly downvoting.

It's up there with the diabetic who, during brexit, said he didn't care if a no deal brexit mean he was no longer able to get the insulin keeping him alive.

I think poor old bluebudgie is one of those odd sorts who’d buy a half and half scarf.
Quote of the day to unpick on 00:00 - Mar 23 with 1500 viewsChurchman

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:37 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

Fair enough. Interesting stuff. I need to do some reading!

Flags, banners, symbols, coats of arms tended to be rallying points, is my understanding. The dragon of Wessex (Alfred TG), the boar (Richard 3rd) all the way back. The Conquerers flag was Red Cross bordered in yellow on a red background and a couple of lions, looking at the interweb. Harold’s flag appears to have been red with a mush waving an axe about. No wonder he lost.

I do know England was not unified until Athelstan finally booted out the Vikings in the 10c hence my incorrect 1000 year assumption
Quote of the day to unpick on 06:29 - Mar 23 with 1396 viewsjayessess

Quote of the day to unpick on 00:00 - Mar 23 by Churchman

Fair enough. Interesting stuff. I need to do some reading!

Flags, banners, symbols, coats of arms tended to be rallying points, is my understanding. The dragon of Wessex (Alfred TG), the boar (Richard 3rd) all the way back. The Conquerers flag was Red Cross bordered in yellow on a red background and a couple of lions, looking at the interweb. Harold’s flag appears to have been red with a mush waving an axe about. No wonder he lost.

I do know England was not unified until Athelstan finally booted out the Vikings in the 10c hence my incorrect 1000 year assumption

If you want a book about national identity formation on this island, Linda Colley, Britons: Forging the Nation, 1707-1837 is a really good one. You might also like Hobsbawm and Ranger, The Invention of Tradition, which is all about how the Victorians went about constructing a lot of our eternal-seeming national traditions.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Quote of the day to unpick on 06:51 - Mar 23 with 1365 viewsBlueNomad

I couldn’t believe callers were getting so wound up about it. Two women almost screamed at each other and Campbell. Shame people don’t get so animated when the subject is on more serious matters like food banks.
Quote of the day to unpick on 08:07 - Mar 23 with 1283 viewsJ2BLUE

Quote of the day to unpick on 06:51 - Mar 23 by BlueNomad

I couldn’t believe callers were getting so wound up about it. Two women almost screamed at each other and Campbell. Shame people don’t get so animated when the subject is on more serious matters like food banks.

This is society now. You are 100% for or 100% against. If you have a moderate sensible opinion then you upset both sides.

I like tradition. I would have the flag in the national colours but it's not so who cares? As a country, if all most people have to worry about is the colour of a tiny flag on a football shirt then we are pretty damn lucky.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Quote of the day to unpick on 08:45 - Mar 23 with 1210 viewsPinewoodblue

Quote of the day to unpick on 08:07 - Mar 23 by J2BLUE

This is society now. You are 100% for or 100% against. If you have a moderate sensible opinion then you upset both sides.

I like tradition. I would have the flag in the national colours but it's not so who cares? As a country, if all most people have to worry about is the colour of a tiny flag on a football shirt then we are pretty damn lucky.

St Edmund should of course still be patron Saint of England.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Quote of the day to unpick on 09:00 - Mar 23 with 1186 viewsHerbivore

Quote of the day to unpick on 08:07 - Mar 23 by J2BLUE

Think most on here are of the view that getting upset about a flag is just very silly. Personally I'm not bothered at all, I can understand those like you who say they'd prefer it's just the normal flag but you're not going to lose any sleep over it. Sadly, the most oxygen is given to those who do seem to be losing their heads over it, calling it woke, linking it to LGBTQ issues and all other sorts of things that it seemingly has nothing to do with. Imagine prominent politicians feeling they need to express a view about a football shirt because such a fuss has been made over it in some very vocal quarters. Country has lost its head.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Quote of the day to unpick on 09:23 - Mar 23 with 1130 viewsSwansea_Blue

We didn’t drive out the Catuvellauni lot and build lots of straight roads so we could be told what to do by some Americans! Or something.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quote of the day to unpick on 09:24 - Mar 23 with 1120 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quote of the day to unpick on 22:21 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

Oh dear.

More silly downvoting.

That’s just Matt. The up/down buttons confuse him

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quote of the day to unpick on 09:58 - Mar 23 with 1057 viewsleitrimblue

It's a little known fact the farmboy George's cross (as the flag was originally known) was flown for the first time off the top of the large saracen stone at stonehenge in April 2023BC.
It was first flown in order to commemorate the successful slaying of a local dragon by a big eared farmboy called George just outside Stowmarket village .

# Time to replace George with Edmund
Quote of the day to unpick on 11:45 - Mar 23 with 962 viewsWeWereZombies

Quote of the day to unpick on 09:58 - Mar 23 by leitrimblue

It's a little known fact the farmboy George's cross (as the flag was originally known) was flown for the first time off the top of the large saracen stone at stonehenge in April 2023BC.
It was first flown in order to commemorate the successful slaying of a local dragon by a big eared farmboy called George just outside Stowmarket village .

# Time to replace George with Edmund

Saracen stone ? Next you will be telling us that malt vinegar is made by grinding down sarsens...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024