Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? 19:47 - Mar 20 with 6818 viewsArnieM

They play Halifax. And there are just 6 games left after tonight's game and I think they're 21 points ahead of next team. Awesome season for them tbh....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:31 - Mar 21 with 1177 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:23 - Mar 21 by tractorboy1978

Whatever way you cut it, we are a millions times better off now than at the end of that 2020/21 season.

Was Cook crude? Probably. Have any of those he got rid of bar Downes gone on to do anything? No. If he hadn't been here, would we have signed Morsy or Chaplin? No. That summer is part of our journey and if he'd done a bit better on the pitch, we wouldn't have McKenna now. I certainly have no regrets about how any of it has panned out.
[Post edited 21 Mar 11:25]

A lot of fans give his tenure a glow up because of how well we've done since. I just can't buy into that personally. You didn't need to be a football genius to know that Chaplin and Morsy would be excellent signings in League 1. Was the lure of playing for Cook decisive? Possibly, but both also said they were disappointed that their Championship clubs didn't seem bothered about keeping them there and they didn't have any other suitors at this level at the time.

Judging Cook on his tenure here, he was just about as hopeless as his two immediate predecessors. That we were in better shape for his successor than we were when he came in was largely down to Gamechanger and their investment on and off the pitch. Cook couldn't have been given much better chance to succeed here really, he was able to build a squad from scratch, but by the end we were hearing the same tired cliches about the players being at fault that he'd been trotting out when he took us from the play off places to midtable during his first half season in charge.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:31 - Mar 21 with 1106 viewstractorboy1978

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:31 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

A lot of fans give his tenure a glow up because of how well we've done since. I just can't buy into that personally. You didn't need to be a football genius to know that Chaplin and Morsy would be excellent signings in League 1. Was the lure of playing for Cook decisive? Possibly, but both also said they were disappointed that their Championship clubs didn't seem bothered about keeping them there and they didn't have any other suitors at this level at the time.

Judging Cook on his tenure here, he was just about as hopeless as his two immediate predecessors. That we were in better shape for his successor than we were when he came in was largely down to Gamechanger and their investment on and off the pitch. Cook couldn't have been given much better chance to succeed here really, he was able to build a squad from scratch, but by the end we were hearing the same tired cliches about the players being at fault that he'd been trotting out when he took us from the play off places to midtable during his first half season in charge.

I'm not really giving it a glow up, I just think he was a necessary middle step between where we were and where we are now. You couldn't have gone from Lambert to McKenna or a McKenna equivalent.

Cook was a 'big name' (by L1 standards) manager with pull when we needed it in our position. Ashton has said himself we relied on Cook's contacts as well as his own that summer. Players wanted to come and play for him - that obviously goes hand in hand with financial reward too. Cowley for example wouldn't have convinced some of the players we got in to come here.

On the pitch, Cook's reign was poor for sure. You won't find me defending that.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:37 - Mar 21 with 1100 viewsLankHenners

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:31 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Think the 'would [player x] have been here if it wasn't for Cook?' line that gets trotted out in defence of him isn't much of an argument really. Given the investment that was going in and the amount we were willing to pay we'd have brought in quality players too good for the level whoever the manager was.

Worth remembering if he'd stayed any longer we'd not have Woolfenden and probably Burgess here either. Good job we acted when we did getting rid of him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:56 - Mar 21 with 1065 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 12:31 - Mar 21 by tractorboy1978

I'm not really giving it a glow up, I just think he was a necessary middle step between where we were and where we are now. You couldn't have gone from Lambert to McKenna or a McKenna equivalent.

Cook was a 'big name' (by L1 standards) manager with pull when we needed it in our position. Ashton has said himself we relied on Cook's contacts as well as his own that summer. Players wanted to come and play for him - that obviously goes hand in hand with financial reward too. Cowley for example wouldn't have convinced some of the players we got in to come here.

On the pitch, Cook's reign was poor for sure. You won't find me defending that.

I see where you're coming from but he only looks a necessary middle step in hindsight because the manager that followed ended up being absolutely fantastic. Had we not made such a good appointment, things could have gone in quite a different direction and Cook would be looking like another clown in a long succession of circus acts in charge of Town.

I think it's a measure of how badly he managed things here that he must be the first professional manager to lose two entirely different changing rooms in less than a year.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 13:28 - Mar 21 with 1029 viewsHighgateBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 08:34 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Shame he never showed it here.

I don't have any ill will towards him, seemed like he wasn't a bad guy, but I couldn't give two sh!ts what he does with his career from here. He was clueless and classless in his first half a season here, not much better thereafter. Kept hearing the same excuses about it being the players' fault even after he'd cleared out the entire squad and brought in his own players.

Reminded me a bit of Jewell in that we occasionally turned up out of the blue and battered someone, but more often we looked a disorganised rabble. Important to note Jewell was doing it at a higher level without the competitive advantage of having the biggest budget in the division. Jewell also showed some acknowledgement that maybe he was the problem rather than throwing players under the bus constantly. Essentially, not sure I agree he was the best Paul, probably the least dislikeable overall but in terms of managerial performance he was just another Paul.

Agreed.

Worse win percentage with us than Jewell AND LAMBERT. And Cook's tenure was entirely in League One...

The fact that he was a cheeky chappy and Lambert was a miserable old thing has pulled a lot of wool over a lot of eyes.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:16 - Mar 21 with 976 viewspennblue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 09:08 - Mar 21 by Churchman

I can’t disagree with any of that, but I still wish him well - without caring one way or the other. He did his best, but was not up to the job. Out of his depth.

I never cared who he appointed as coaches as some did on here at the time. He could have employed the Teletubbies for all it mattered; it was all down to him. We were all over the place.

I’d not thought about the Jewell comparison. There’s a lot in that. Despite operating at a lower level, I think Cook was a better manager. PJ had his success at Wigan (well backed), but was awful everywhere else. Cook has done well at third tier downwards. Could he operate at Championship level? No idea but he certainly couldn’t manage here with the way the club was being structured.

And yes, it’s easy to forget how dreadful Cook was. I never doubted most of that squad had to go, but the way he went about it was crude, wasteful and self defeating. When he publicly blew up after the Wimbledon and Northampton down-tools matches, I began to wonder about him. Then the way he went about it seasons end - oh dear. He had the opportunity of a lifetime here and blew it.

I was relieved when he went. I was in the give him a chance to the end of October camp. Wrong. With hindsight they should have fired him at the end of the previous season. How you do that when you’ve only just bought the club and your CEO walks in the door June 1st I’ve no idea.

Thanks Evans, your decision bring Cook in when you did was yet another pitiful decision.
[Post edited 21 Mar 9:13]

I am sorry saying he was out of his depth is just complete nonsense.

He was only here 9 bloody months! and he only really had 2 months with Morsy in the team!

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:00 - Mar 21 with 922 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 14:16 - Mar 21 by pennblue

He was only here 9 bloody months! and he only really had 2 months with Morsy in the team!

And in that 9 months here he was an abject failure, hence only lasting 9 months. To describe him as out of his depth seems perfectly reasonable in the context of what happened here.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:32 - Mar 21 with 893 viewsSteve_M

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:00 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

And in that 9 months here he was an abject failure, hence only lasting 9 months. To describe him as out of his depth seems perfectly reasonable in the context of what happened here.

Nine months still gave him time to fail twice here - and there was a Summer in the middle of it too. He was lamentably poor here and only doesn't stand out because of the litany of sh1t managers Evans employed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:28 - Mar 21 with 848 viewspennblue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:00 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

and it continues.... Paul Cook, Itfc, Chapter 15
[Post edited 21 Mar 16:28]

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:30 - Mar 21 with 837 viewspennblue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:32 - Mar 21 by Steve_M

Nine months still gave him time to fail twice here - and there was a Summer in the middle of it too. He was lamentably poor here and only doesn't stand out because of the litany of sh1t managers Evans employed.

Oh yeah that summer too, crikey he even did NOTHING for 3 months of those 9... what a total loser he was..... 6 months and he failed to gain promotion! RUBBISH!

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:32 - Mar 21 with 828 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:30 - Mar 21 by pennblue

Oh yeah that summer too, crikey he even did NOTHING for 3 months of those 9... what a total loser he was..... 6 months and he failed to gain promotion! RUBBISH!

Are you genuinely trying to suggest that he wasn't utter garbage here?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:33 - Mar 21 with 829 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 15:32 - Mar 21 by Steve_M

He failed once. With the players he signed.

Those whom he kicked out of the club hadn't performed for him, Lambert and Hurst. So players were the problem not the managers.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:56 - Mar 21 with 803 viewsN2_Blue

Paul Cook's spell here was disastrous, not much else can be said.

There is no otherway of looking at it. Yes he signed some decent players but he couldn't do anything with them, that was the issue. Who's to say McKenna or another manager wouldn't have signed the same or as good players with the funds and draw the club had. They would certainly have got more out of them.

Cook clearly was a likeable character. However drinking pints with fans in the pub and appointing mates as his coaching team was just wrong on all levels. Night and day between him and Mckenna in that respect. Mckenna can't pull himself away from analysing the game. Cook just wondered where his next disposable cup of tea or pint was...

I don't wish him anything but the best wherever he is, but he was deeply out of his depth with us and he really out stayed his welcome. I polled for Cook to go at least a month before he did. Had we we done so we may have saved our self a season in L1. It was painful to see what he was churning out in L1 and with the talent at our disposal. It's almost impossible to think how anyone could have done worse at the start of that campaign. It was shambolic. Anyone looking at it differently is being way too kind.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 16:59 - Mar 21 with 796 viewsN2_Blue

FFS open your eyes man. About as clueless as Cook's management in that 2nd campaign.

He was woeful, how can you say anything else. We were in L1 failing against the likes of Wimbledon and Accrington repeatedly...not one's off which happen. They're not even in that division anymore!!!

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 17:07 - Mar 21 with 777 viewsRadlett_blue

I can’t disagree with any of that, but I still wish him well - without caring one way or the other. He did his best, but was not up to the job. Out of his depth.

I never cared who he appointed as coaches as some did on here at the time. He could have employed the Teletubbies for all it mattered; it was all down to him. We were all over the place.

I’d not thought about the Jewell comparison. There’s a lot in that. Despite operating at a lower level, I think Cook was a better manager. PJ had his success at Wigan (well backed), but was awful everywhere else. Cook has done well at third tier downwards. Could he operate at Championship level? No idea but he certainly couldn’t manage here with the way the club was being structured.

And yes, it’s easy to forget how dreadful Cook was. I never doubted most of that squad had to go, but the way he went about it was crude, wasteful and self defeating. When he publicly blew up after the Wimbledon and Northampton down-tools matches, I began to wonder about him. Then the way he went about it seasons end - oh dear. He had the opportunity of a lifetime here and blew it.

I was relieved when he went. I was in the give him a chance to the end of October camp. Wrong. With hindsight they should have fired him at the end of the previous season. How you do that when you’ve only just bought the club and your CEO walks in the door June 1st I’ve no idea.

Thanks Evans, your decision bring Cook in when you did was yet another pitiful decision.

Indeed, this was a big chance for Cook given that Gamechanger arrived just after he did (a truly bizarre decision, even by Evans's standards). Identifying some good League 1 players when you have the biggest budget in the league isn't hard & Cook's complete failure to knit them into a decent team shows how out of his depth he was. I'd rate him marginally above Paul Hurst.
Jewell has also taken Bradford into the PL, but the trouble was that, when he came to Town, he'd also had dreadful spells at Sheffield Wednesday & Derby. He did a good job as a fire-fighter, lifting Keane's gloom & getting Bullard in on loan, but he had little idea how to build a team.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:23 - Mar 21 with 704 viewsBlueBoots

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 11:23 - Mar 21 by tractorboy1978

Whatever way you cut it, we are a millions times better off now than at the end of that 2020/21 season.

Was Cook crude? Probably. Have any of those he got rid of bar Downes gone on to do anything? No. If he hadn't been here, would we have signed Morsy or Chaplin? No. That summer is part of our journey and if he'd done a bit better on the pitch, we wouldn't have McKenna now. I certainly have no regrets about how any of it has panned out.
[Post edited 21 Mar 11:25]

I'm with you on this...half our regular first team, Hladky, Burgess, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns (plus Walton and Edmundson) signed by Cook - whatever his failings were for us on the pitch, off the pitch he did a job that needing doing and that ruthless transfer window started us on the path we're on today:

https://theathletic.com/2817118/2021/09/11/how-ipswich-town-hit-the-nuclear-rese

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:29 - Mar 21 with 673 viewsMullet

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:23 - Mar 21 by BlueBoots

I'm with you on this...half our regular first team, Hladky, Burgess, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns (plus Walton and Edmundson) signed by Cook - whatever his failings were for us on the pitch, off the pitch he did a job that needing doing and that ruthless transfer window started us on the path we're on today:

https://theathletic.com/2817118/2021/09/11/how-ipswich-town-hit-the-nuclear-rese

Two of those who fans were saying weren't good enough for the Championship (not all obviously, but you get my gist) and Morsy and Chaplin who we got through money and circumstance.

Morsy didn't want to be here, Chaplin was frozen out.

It baffles me anyone gives Cook the credit they do as a manager in many ways, but you realise it's mostly not down to his management but his personality and how they bought into it.

The desperation that every little thing was gonna be all right and the miserable reality really messed things up. The revision and pretence around Evans to now is amazing to see.

The other people mooning over him like teenagers pining for the first girl who looked at them is possibly the most hilarious thing about it all. He didn't need to go demolition man at all. The fact it ultimately cost him his job and us promotion sooner etc. seems to get lost in all of this.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:36 - Mar 21 with 663 viewsibbleobble

Can you explain the “out of his depth” comment? He managed at Championship level where he did well. He tried a previous tactic of completely overhauling the squad which worked before but misfired on this occasion. He’d been promoted out of League One before too so how was he out-of-his-depth?
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:01 - Mar 21 with 628 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 20:36 - Mar 21 by ibbleobble

Can you explain the “out of his depth” comment? He managed at Championship level where he did well. He tried a previous tactic of completely overhauling the squad which worked before but misfired on this occasion. He’d been promoted out of League One before too so how was he out-of-his-depth?

Job was too big for him. He may have managed in the Championship but it was with a tinpot Wigan.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:02 - Mar 21 with 630 viewstextbackup

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 19:51 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Nice to see that he's found his level.

Big number of his signings currently sit 3rd in the championship.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:05 - Mar 21 with 627 viewsChurchman

In my view he was out of his depth. It’s one thing operating in a small environment where you are master of all you survey. It’s another working in a club that is reinventing itself with a structure more akin to a Premier League club than Chesterfield.

His public hanging players out to dry, however deserved it was, was wrong. He shot himself in the foot before he began by not being able to control his emotions and earned the distrust of anyone who might have wanted to stay the club.

By operating a bomb squad he wasted anyone that might have been of use to him. Fine, he might not have cared. But given he went on to assemble a team by figuratively throwing mud at the wall tells me he didn’t know how to build a team in the environment/situation he was in. He was out of his depth, a wrong fit for this club.

He’s clearly had success. But not here. He had a great opportunity and hosed it up the wall. He was clueless and in my view unable to cope with where this club was, what they were looking to do and how they wanted to go about it. Would giving him more time have helped? Not in my view - he had to go.

I’m sure he’s a great bloke who does a great job at certain clubs and good luck to him. He’s done well at Chesterfield.
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:19 - Mar 21 with 606 viewsN2_Blue

Do you have a Paul Cook season ticket as you seem more interested in him than an actual club?
Your love in for Paul Cook is deeply unhealthy. Try let it go fella. I have nothing against the man but he was crap here and it was a relief when he exited.

He was out of his depth with us, the job was too big for him. He's never excelled with a decent sized club or at Tier 1 and above.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:32 - Mar 21 with 582 viewsHerbivore

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:02 - Mar 21 by textbackup

Big number of his signings currently sit 3rd in the championship.

Shows what a terrible manager he was that he had a team with Prem potential sat bottom half of the third division.

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 22:13 - Mar 21 with 537 viewsChurchman

Fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I’ve given my rationale in another post.

If Cook only had nine months, then I presume you believe Paul Hurst should have been given more time. He had only five months in a much tougher league.

If you do think it was right to fire Hurst, what is your defence for Cook who had lots more opportunity, money, support and a division lower to work in?
[Post edited 21 Mar 22:20]
Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 22:21 - Mar 21 with 511 viewsibbleobble

Is Paul Cooks Chesterfield promoted tonight? on 21:19 - Mar 21 by N2_Blue

Do you have a Paul Cook season ticket as you seem more interested in him than an actual club?
Your love in for Paul Cook is deeply unhealthy. Try let it go fella. I have nothing against the man but he was crap here and it was a relief when he exited.

He was out of his depth with us, the job was too big for him. He's never excelled with a decent sized club or at Tier 1 and above.

No but the litter that gets spouted on here, like what you’ve just written, is ridiculous. “Never excelled with a decent sized club”? What does that even mean?? You’re basically saying he excels and punches above his weight with the clubs he’d had success with, disproving your own point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024