Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rather grim Hive Mind question: 13:26 - Mar 20 with 4868 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I am just wondering what the mood is on this question, which for years would have been practically unthinkable:

What do you think are the chances of a deliberate Russian (or Belarusian or Wagner Group etc) military strike on a target in NATO territory within the next 12 months?

Please give your answer as a percentage, ranged from 0.1 to 99.9%.

If I get a few answers it will give us a Hive Mind average.
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:28 - Mar 20 with 3145 viewsbluelagos

0.01%

Would be MAD and I don't see what they would gain from it aside from a whole lot of death and destruction on both sides.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:33 - Mar 20 with 3096 viewsHerbivore

1%.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:38 - Mar 20 with 3081 viewsElderGrizzly

Not quite the answer, but I think we'll see a nuclear strike in Ukraine within the next 12 months, potentially timed after the US election to 'test' the response of US and NATO. Especially if Trump wins.

It might not be on a NATO member, but there is an understanding that would change the narrative and would expect an escalated NATO response.
[Post edited 20 Mar 13:38]
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:39 - Mar 20 with 3065 viewsgiant_stow

Post a Trump election victory, higher than the chaps above say. 20%.

The above should be qualified by me:
1) knowing nothing
2) being a freek-out merchant.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:43 - Mar 20 with 3031 viewswellsy700

2%

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:44 - Mar 20 with 3028 viewsHerbivore

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:38 - Mar 20 by ElderGrizzly

Not quite the answer, but I think we'll see a nuclear strike in Ukraine within the next 12 months, potentially timed after the US election to 'test' the response of US and NATO. Especially if Trump wins.

It might not be on a NATO member, but there is an understanding that would change the narrative and would expect an escalated NATO response.

I'd be even more surprised by that to be honest. A nuclear strike on Ukraine would be a bigger escalation than some form of direct military action against a NATO member. I would imagine that some of those countries that have previously been neutral or tacitly backed Russia would very quickly start to pull support if they launched a nuclear strike on Ukraine.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:48 - Mar 20 with 2997 viewsElderGrizzly

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:44 - Mar 20 by Herbivore

I'd be even more surprised by that to be honest. A nuclear strike on Ukraine would be a bigger escalation than some form of direct military action against a NATO member. I would imagine that some of those countries that have previously been neutral or tacitly backed Russia would very quickly start to pull support if they launched a nuclear strike on Ukraine.

I'm not talking a huge nuclear strike, just something targeted to make Putin's point and he'll use a self-defence argument to keep his allies on side.

I hope we'll never find out, but Russia entering another sovereign nation would be a bigger issue imo.
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:49 - Mar 20 with 2987 viewsJ2BLUE

2%

I think it's very unlikely but I have increased it a bit in case Putin is terminally ill in which case he doesn't have much left to lose. Also Trump is a massive wildcard but I think he will be reigned in by more sane people.

With that said I think there are a number of things which make it unlikely:

China has likely made it known privately that Russia would be on their own if they attack NATO. Even Iran and North Korea may think twice about getting involved if they are suddenly facing a rapidly rearming and strengthening NATO.

They have been shown up by Ukraine. They were supposed to be in Kyiv within 48 hours. Over two years later they are nowhere near. They may well have a massive group of people Putin doesn't mind throwing to the wolves and be rearming rapidly now but they would likely be annihilated by NATO very quickly. China and nukes are the wildcards here but nukes hardly help the dream of restoring the Soviet Union borders.

Putin is terrified of ending up like Gaddafi. Better to keep the west as the bogeyman to rule with an iron fist internally. Also a great explanation of why they have not already defeated Ukraine because they are 'fighting NATO'.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:54 - Mar 20 with 2952 viewsNutkins_Return

25% -But I'm extending your question slightly to direct NATO involvement in the conflict in next 12 Months or to put it another way: War with Russia.

Surprised people think it is so slow. If we extend beyond a year I think there is a very real possibility of war and it will go beyond just Russia as they also have powerful allies.

Countries including Sweden are already warning citizens of the possibility and let's not forget Sweden are now NATO.

We are in dangerous times and it doesn't need to be a missile to kick it off full fledged. It could be a major Cyber attack etc etc.

History tells us war are inevitable....
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:57 - Mar 20 with 2931 viewswithyblue

Would you expect that to be a tactical or strategic strike? The former seems plausible but, however depraved and evil Putin is, I can't see him using a strategic weapon (yet).
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 14:26 - Mar 20 with 2790 viewsGuthrum

This chap talks a lot of sense. Especially on the assumptions of what form a war might take.

So, for me, it depends very much upon circumstances. Could be 66%, could be zero. And may be a lot different to what people expect.
[Post edited 20 Mar 14:27]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 14:29 - Mar 20 with 2761 viewsGuthrum

I'm not convinced he needs to go down such a risky route (not to mention heavy-handed), with relatively little reward. See the videos I posted elsewhere in the thread for a scenario with a far better risk/reward balance for Putin.

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 14:33 - Mar 20 with 2738 viewsGuthrum

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:44 - Mar 20 by Herbivore

I think the Chinese would get very upset if that happened. They might be able to sit out a Russo-Western nuclear exchange (to an extent), but it would still affect them massively in terms of global radiation effects and destroying their trade possibilities.

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 14:37 - Mar 20 with 2703 viewsitfcjoe

3.5%

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 14:43 - Mar 20 with 2677 viewsGuthrum

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 13:54 - Mar 20 by Nutkins_Return

25% -But I'm extending your question slightly to direct NATO involvement in the conflict in next 12 Months or to put it another way: War with Russia.

Surprised people think it is so slow. If we extend beyond a year I think there is a very real possibility of war and it will go beyond just Russia as they also have powerful allies.

Countries including Sweden are already warning citizens of the possibility and let's not forget Sweden are now NATO.

We are in dangerous times and it doesn't need to be a missile to kick it off full fledged. It could be a major Cyber attack etc etc.

History tells us war are inevitable....

Thing about Sweden is they are having to get their population used to the idea of potentially being in the firing line after a couple of centuries of peace/neutrality. As opposed to, say, the UK where we have fought major wars and conflicts within living memory (including destruction to the home country).

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 15:15 - Mar 20 with 2577 viewsWeWereZombies

3.6% Not so much a military strike but Russian Army incursion into Romania to prevent supplies getting through to Moldovan forces in a new attempt to bring Transnitria back into the Russian orbit.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 15:25 - Mar 20 with 2555 viewsNutkins_Return

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 14:43 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

Thing about Sweden is they are having to get their population used to the idea of potentially being in the firing line after a couple of centuries of peace/neutrality. As opposed to, say, the UK where we have fought major wars and conflicts within living memory (including destruction to the home country).

That's true to an extent but their military top brass certainly see it as a very real imminent possibly and are putting pressure on government to get people ready mentally. Government playing it down more.

Governments I think generally will play it down more but I think those in the military are very much preparing (though of course they would even a low likelihood).
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 15:52 - Mar 20 with 2488 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Let’s not forget behind the bravado and riding semi naked on horses, Putin is terrified of NATO. The military spending and economic power is completely unbalanced against Russia. Any military action against NATO would therefore only happen under hybrid warfare, under the guise of cyber attacks, sabotage, or deniable operations. Wagner seem more interested in making money out of African despots rather than going back to being cannon fodder in Eastern Ukraine.

Trump maybe a wildcard, but I suspect he’d (as Putin has already inferred) prefer a Biden Presidency due to the unpredictability of a Trump foreign policy (Trump will put himself before his country, and could just as easily turn on Putin if it suits Trump to do so).

More likely we’ll see a frozen conflict as both sides become fatigued. From what I’m seeing, the risk of the rest of Ukraine falling to Russia is deemed incredibly low, western companies and banks are continuing to finance trade in western Ukraine (deeming the risk of assets being reappropriated by Russia as they’ve done in the East very low).
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 16:03 - Mar 20 with 2446 viewsJ2BLUE

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 15:52 - Mar 20 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Let’s not forget behind the bravado and riding semi naked on horses, Putin is terrified of NATO. The military spending and economic power is completely unbalanced against Russia. Any military action against NATO would therefore only happen under hybrid warfare, under the guise of cyber attacks, sabotage, or deniable operations. Wagner seem more interested in making money out of African despots rather than going back to being cannon fodder in Eastern Ukraine.

Trump maybe a wildcard, but I suspect he’d (as Putin has already inferred) prefer a Biden Presidency due to the unpredictability of a Trump foreign policy (Trump will put himself before his country, and could just as easily turn on Putin if it suits Trump to do so).

More likely we’ll see a frozen conflict as both sides become fatigued. From what I’m seeing, the risk of the rest of Ukraine falling to Russia is deemed incredibly low, western companies and banks are continuing to finance trade in western Ukraine (deeming the risk of assets being reappropriated by Russia as they’ve done in the East very low).

I don't believe for a second he would rather a Biden presidency. In fact, I think he likely said that to aid Trump's chances. Trump can now say I am the one Putin fears where as really Putin will laugh his head off if Trump gets in.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 16:27 - Mar 20 with 2393 viewsChorleyBoy

0% Belarusian
0% Russian
Who owns the Wagner group? If it's the Western allies, then 0%, if it's Russia 0%.

Russian and NATO false flag attacks are another question.
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 17:14 - Mar 20 with 2293 viewsBlueBadger

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 16:27 - Mar 20 by ChorleyBoy

0% Belarusian
0% Russian
Who owns the Wagner group? If it's the Western allies, then 0%, if it's Russia 0%.

Russian and NATO false flag attacks are another question.

Fancy that, our resident Tory apologist is also a Vlad dissembler.

Explains why he's so grumpy though. Imagine being so low in the whole 'destabilise the West with misinformation' team standings that you get this place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 17:17 - Mar 20 with 2285 viewsIllinoisblue

Wait, I’ve got to consider multiple promotion permutations AND the chances of world peace? Sorry, can’t do it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 17:43 - Mar 20 with 2201 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

0.526 approximately.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 18:09 - Mar 20 with 2152 viewsMK1

0.00%
Rather grim Hive Mind question: on 18:21 - Mar 20 with 2100 viewsmutters

0% unless Putin is about to be ousted and hits the button.

As much as they stick their chests out, and thump about a bit I can not see any logical reason why the leaders would escalate this to that level.

NATO members are supplying Ukraine weapons and information already, even Congress has passed numerous bills to aid them. So they are already in a defacto war with Russia. Russian would have struck by now if they were that pissed off by them.

Only other scenario I could see is that if Ukraine gets NATO membership in the next 12 months then all bets are off the table!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024