Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few threads today have had me thinking 19:26 - Mar 13 with 3978 viewsFtnfwest

Where we’d be if gamechanger hadn’t turned up, Evans was still in charge and in all likelihood lambert was still seeing out his contract, or would cook have been employed anyway? League 2? Or towards the bottom of league one celebrating draws at home to Shrewsbury with tunnel jumps?
A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:44 - Mar 13 with 3000 viewsLeoMuff

I think league 2

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:46 - Mar 13 with 3003 viewsSwansea_Blue

Playing Colchester in a relegation decider?

The thing that still amazes me about that whole period is how apathetic most of us were. We should have been rioting in the stands, but not only accepted worse than mediocrity, we actually cheered our decent into League 1. Bonkers.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:57 - Mar 13 with 2979 viewsGuthrum

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:44 - Mar 13 by LeoMuff

I think league 2

I don't think we would quite have been there yet (we're not even three years into the Gamechanger era).

It was more a slow decline than a dramatic plunge. We might even have had a 2015-style flirtation with the play-offs (but a division lower, obviously), before something went wrong and there was another unwise choice. Probably lower mid table in League One. Not yet in immediate danger, but uneasily beginning to look over our shoulders.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:11 - Mar 13 with 2923 viewstheinbetweener

See: Charlton Athletic
A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:19 - Mar 13 with 2900 viewsFtnfwest

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:46 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

The thing that still amazes me about that whole period is how apathetic most of us were. We should have been rioting in the stands, but not only accepted worse than mediocrity, we actually cheered our decent into League 1. Bonkers.

The Cowleys could have been in charge by now…. Shudder
A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:31 - Mar 13 with 2861 viewsIllinoisblue

“Don’t worry about a thing, cos every little thing’s gonna be alright” was, with hindsight, initially very misplaced. Very.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:53 - Mar 13 with 2786 viewsHelp

Don't do what if's, just the here and now.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:57 - Mar 13 with 2772 viewsmutters

Do you remember some people were saying that getting relegated would be the best thing for us! People were so desperate to get out of the championship that they didn't care what direction!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

A few threads today have had me thinking on 21:09 - Mar 13 with 2741 viewsMattinLondon

I think that maybe you are being a tad disingenuous there. Evans was the root cause of the club slowly rotting alive. At the time of relegation, Lambert’s PR was the only thing which excited most fans who wanted desperately to believe in something. Ultimately the desire to believe was based on both lies and incompetence and in hindsight it is completely ridiculous. But at the time, it made sense to a lot.

Also prior to the takeover no one wanted to seriously touch the club with a barge pole. There was no real hope that Evans would go. When you put these factors together it’s no wonder fans wanted to trust Lambert.
[Post edited 13 Mar 21:11]
A few threads today have had me thinking on 23:36 - Mar 13 with 2550 viewsBlueBadger

Cook would have come in, probably made more of an effort to work with the incumbent squad but ultimately failed to reach the playoffs. The following season would have seen us finish lower mid table with Cook departing mid=season citing a lack of support from the owner but having failed to actually do anything particularly impressive.

There would have been a few weeks of the Cowleys being mentioned as candidates for the job before we settled upon the 'exciting young talent' of Joey Barton confidently steering us into League Two whilst berating the 'ack of spirit' in the side.

Barton would be sacked with the side 7th in League Two in February, no wins in 12 having been top of League Two.

TWTD would be racked with arguments about 'we should have stuck by Cookie' despite his football being turgid and him achieving nothing. Others still would be citing a shadowy 'conpsiracy' to unseat Barton.

[redacted] will still be arguing that we should have kept Famous Roy on.

We then employ Paul Hurst having been linked with Leam Richardson for weeks. Town Languish in mid table, Colchester, who've somehow landed Richardson, go on to promotion.

Should I stop now?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 23:41 - Mar 13 with 2540 viewsSwansea_Blue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 21:09 - Mar 13 by MattinLondon

I think that maybe you are being a tad disingenuous there. Evans was the root cause of the club slowly rotting alive. At the time of relegation, Lambert’s PR was the only thing which excited most fans who wanted desperately to believe in something. Ultimately the desire to believe was based on both lies and incompetence and in hindsight it is completely ridiculous. But at the time, it made sense to a lot.

Also prior to the takeover no one wanted to seriously touch the club with a barge pole. There was no real hope that Evans would go. When you put these factors together it’s no wonder fans wanted to trust Lambert.
[Post edited 13 Mar 21:11]

I understand that. It was a weird euphoria out of desperation. I wouldn’t knock anyone for supporting the team however crap we are, but we really went down without fighting - support the team of course, but very few people criticised Evans even at that stage. It was obvious from about Jewell onwards that he was clueless.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 00:32 - Mar 14 with 2505 viewsBlueBadger

A few threads today have had me thinking on 23:41 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

I understand that. It was a weird euphoria out of desperation. I wouldn’t knock anyone for supporting the team however crap we are, but we really went down without fighting - support the team of course, but very few people criticised Evans even at that stage. It was obvious from about Jewell onwards that he was clueless.

I mean, Jewell tried to resign three times before he put all of us out our his misery and acccepted his resignation. Also, the fact that Joel actually realised he was doing a sh1t job makes him least worst Paul.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A few threads today have had me thinking on 01:21 - Mar 14 with 2482 viewsStNeotsBlue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:57 - Mar 13 by Guthrum

I don't think we would quite have been there yet (we're not even three years into the Gamechanger era).

It was more a slow decline than a dramatic plunge. We might even have had a 2015-style flirtation with the play-offs (but a division lower, obviously), before something went wrong and there was another unwise choice. Probably lower mid table in League One. Not yet in immediate danger, but uneasily beginning to look over our shoulders.

I genuinely think we'd have slid into League 2 by now or at best be on the verge of doing so. Under his ownership we were only going one way.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 07:01 - Mar 14 with 2353 viewstextbackup

We’d have seen Chambers and Skuse as a management team by now, absolutely 100%

And it would have been utter sht
[Post edited 14 Mar 7:03]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A few threads today have had me thinking on 07:56 - Mar 14 with 2260 viewsSteve_M

I think Cook would probably still have come in, sold Downes and Dozzell still but been more circumspect in his purchases. Would it have worked? 50/50 at best but the ceiling would only ever have been scraping promotion and trying to hang on to 17th or so.

If Cook hadn't worked in that scenario, then more drift and a new home in mid-table League 1 whereby a bad season would see us looking at the bottom a little too closely.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few threads today have had me thinking on 08:42 - Mar 14 with 2191 viewsChurchman

League 2 or heading towards it. In the longer term, we’d have been in the Conference. There was nothing to stop it. Burnley flirted with it, Luton spent years there, Oldham are there. Ok you could argue we are a bigger club than those, but that makes not a jot of difference. Sunderland, by support are a PL club and look at the mess they’ve made of things.

This club was rotten to the core being held together by a few caring individuals. That was never sustainable and collapse was inevitable. I don’t think its long term existence was threatened, but what and where I dread to think. We were in a world of trouble.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 08:55 - Mar 14 with 2162 viewsIPS_wich

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:11 - Mar 13 by theinbetweener

See: Charlton Athletic

This.

Charlton have had four owners in the last 8 years - all of them abject and none of them with Evans' cash reserves. Even if crowds had dropped down to 11/12k each week like Charlton have this season then we would still have been drawing in much more revenue than most of League 1.

I think some responses are over dramatic. I think the chances us of ever getting out of League 1 with Evans in charge would have been tiny - but it would have taken something cataclysmic for us to drop in to League 2 - and Evans' last few years, whilst abject, were not at that level. He may have lost interest but he wasn't about to let his investment crumble to nothing. As bad a decision as it was - a 5 year contract for the type of money an internationally experienced ex-Premier league manager would have commanded shows he was still had the intent to invest.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 09:32 - Mar 14 with 2118 viewsBlueBadger

A few threads today have had me thinking on 07:01 - Mar 14 by textbackup

We’d have seen Chambers and Skuse as a management team by now, absolutely 100%

And it would have been utter sht
[Post edited 14 Mar 7:03]

But probably still better than Lambert.

A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:38 - Mar 14 with 1953 viewsPhilTWTD

Change from Lambert to Cook had nothing to do with the new owners coming in.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:42 - Mar 14 with 1930 viewsKeno

A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:38 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

Change from Lambert to Cook had nothing to do with the new owners coming in.

The timing of that was all a bit odd wasnt it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:57 - Mar 14 with 1916 viewsPhilTWTD

A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:42 - Mar 14 by Keno

The timing of that was all a bit odd wasnt it?

ME hadn't decided whether to sell the club, indeed the new owners weren't sure he was going to go through with it even the day the deal was finally done, the day before it was announced. They were told about the change but had no say.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:01 - Mar 14 with 1896 viewsKeno

A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:57 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

ME hadn't decided whether to sell the club, indeed the new owners weren't sure he was going to go through with it even the day the deal was finally done, the day before it was announced. They were told about the change but had no say.

Was it you that reported after the initial news of the deal broke Evans nearly pulled out but changed his mind after we got humped somewhere?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:03 - Mar 14 with 1884 viewsPhilTWTD

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:01 - Mar 14 by Keno

Was it you that reported after the initial news of the deal broke Evans nearly pulled out but changed his mind after we got humped somewhere?

I did. I think it happened a couple of times over the course of negotiation. He was a reluctant seller.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:05 - Mar 14 with 1864 viewsKeno

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:03 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

I did. I think it happened a couple of times over the course of negotiation. He was a reluctant seller.

I think we can all agreed his selling was the second best thing that has happened to the club in recent year

Obviously the best thing was you being allowed in to press conferences etc

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:09 - Mar 14 with 1840 viewsJon_456

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:57 - Mar 13 by mutters

Do you remember some people were saying that getting relegated would be the best thing for us! People were so desperate to get out of the championship that they didn't care what direction!

There is an argument that it was the best thing for us in the long term. Had we continued in the Championship, would the new owners still have invested in us as ME would have probably wanted more money?

No doubt we had to suffer miserably for a couple of years but these last 2 years have been the most enjoyable since I’ve been going (from 04/05 season).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024