Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any collectors on here 16:47 - Mar 1 with 6605 viewsgtsb1966

of anything really. I collect WW1 militaria but would be interested to hear what other people collect and the prices they have paid, rarities etc.
Any collectors on here on 09:17 - Mar 2 with 1891 viewsGlasgowBlue

Any collectors on here on 18:21 - Mar 1 by GlasgowBlue

I have a very large collection of US Marvel comics. An almost unbroken run of Amazing Spider-Man from 1963 to 2005 when it became far too time consuming to keep up. Same with the Avengers, Daredevil, X-Men and other lesser known titles.

Worth a few quid as it goes.

I also forgot the obvious. Ipswich Town home, away and third shirts. Plus Ipswich Programmes from the Robson era onwards. When I was a boy I did have programmes from the 50's and 60's that my Grandad gave me but I lost them over the years.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Any collectors on here on 09:27 - Mar 2 with 1871 viewsMK1

Any collectors on here on 20:24 - Mar 1 by gtsb1966

Shell cases are very popular and so are the bases of the shells made into officers caps.
[Post edited 1 Mar 20:24]

I have a big shell case we use as an umbrella stand and about 10 other smaller pieces including a cigarette case and various small boxes. One of the objects I have is a wooden box with draws, claimed to be made in an English field hospital by a soldier injured and recovering before heading back to England. Not sure how true it is. I didn't buy any to make money, just love the history behind them. (obviously tinged with sadness for those who we lost)
Any collectors on here on 09:34 - Mar 2 with 1863 viewsPlums

I started a collection of first edition cricket autobiographies a few years ago. Got into double figures but as with most of my hobbies, it got replaced by the next shiny thing.
Some of them were good reading though and I still have them.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Any collectors on here on 09:40 - Mar 2 with 1855 viewsgtsb1966

Any collectors on here on 09:17 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

I also forgot the obvious. Ipswich Town home, away and third shirts. Plus Ipswich Programmes from the Robson era onwards. When I was a boy I did have programmes from the 50's and 60's that my Grandad gave me but I lost them over the years.

If you collect programmes I have 26 from 1970-75 ,1 from 1992 and the home Uefa cup tie v Lazio in 73 and the 73 youth cup final. I will gladly post them to you free of charge if you want them. Just message me your address and I'll get them in the post today. I would gladly give them free to a collector.
[Post edited 2 Mar 9:43]
Any collectors on here on 09:53 - Mar 2 with 1835 viewsGlasgowBlue

Any collectors on here on 09:40 - Mar 2 by gtsb1966

If you collect programmes I have 26 from 1970-75 ,1 from 1992 and the home Uefa cup tie v Lazio in 73 and the 73 youth cup final. I will gladly post them to you free of charge if you want them. Just message me your address and I'll get them in the post today. I would gladly give them free to a collector.
[Post edited 2 Mar 9:43]

Cheers mate. I'll take a look at what ones I have over the weekend.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Any collectors on here on 10:02 - Mar 2 with 1829 viewsGavTWTD

I've a very large collection of mostly gibberish messages from supporters of Ipswich Town FC. Price paid? My sanity.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Any collectors on here on 10:08 - Mar 2 with 1814 viewsMK1

Any collectors on here on 10:02 - Mar 2 by GavTWTD

I've a very large collection of mostly gibberish messages from supporters of Ipswich Town FC. Price paid? My sanity.

And empty Hob Nob packets.
Any collectors on here on 10:13 - Mar 2 with 1800 viewsgtsb1966

Any collectors on here on 10:02 - Mar 2 by GavTWTD

TWTD WITHOUT FANS IS NOTHING...Jock Stein
Login to get fewer ads

Any collectors on here on 10:43 - Mar 2 with 1769 viewsElephantintheRoom

My grandad created some lasting WW1 memorabilia. He was a mining engineer tasked with laying enormous mountains of explosives under enemy trenches. His first piece of work at Lochnagar traumatised him because they got the timing wrong and tons of Earth came down on the advancing allied troops. Thought provoking place to visit.

Didn’t put him off though as he was also involved in the mining of the messine ridge which created the largest non-nuclear explosion in history and by then they got the timing right.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any collectors on here on 11:00 - Mar 2 with 1760 viewsNthQldITFC

Bruises.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Any collectors on here on 11:27 - Mar 2 with 1746 viewsChurchman

Any collectors on here on 10:43 - Mar 2 by ElephantintheRoom

My grandad created some lasting WW1 memorabilia. He was a mining engineer tasked with laying enormous mountains of explosives under enemy trenches. His first piece of work at Lochnagar traumatised him because they got the timing wrong and tons of Earth came down on the advancing allied troops. Thought provoking place to visit.

Didn’t put him off though as he was also involved in the mining of the messine ridge which created the largest non-nuclear explosion in history and by then they got the timing right.

I am a Friend of Lochnagar. My grandfather was sitting in a communications trench with his RE Field Company (208 Norfolk) called St Andrews Avenue in front of La Boisselle close to Lochnagar where the other mine(s) ‘Y Sap’ were detonated. At Lochnagar 60,000lbs of Amatol was blown. Y Sap was 40,000lbs. It was said the explosions were heard in London.

https://www.lochnagarcrater.org/schools/july-1st-1916-attack-on-la-boisselle/#:~

The problem with Y Sap was that an officer had rung the people in the front line to wish them good luck. The Germans evacuated the area before the mine was blown. The Germans at Lochnagar were less lucky. However, the British (Northumberland fusiliers, Grimsby Chums, Cheshires and Suffolks) were unable to occupy the mine craters quickly enough and any advantage was lost.

34 Division suffered the highest casualties of any division that day. The Pals battalions of the new army were literally mown down by well sited crossfire and shelling.

The tunnelling war is fascinating. I was asked to write a piece on it some years ago and the story is both astonishing and hideous. The Germans basically started the tunnelling war. We finished it, developing techniques far beyond those of the enemy.

Telephone engineers, miners, anyone who worked under ground and could be spared was drafted. They were given a uniform and a digging kit basically. They did not do basic training as a normal RE Field Company did. They were sent out to tunnel by the 1000. And they did. Sometimes, they’d break into enemy tunnels and visa versa and an underground fight would take place.

They developed listening devices beyond a wooden stick to the ear and would attempt to counter mine the enemy tunnel. A favoured trick was to lay a second charge furthe along to be detonated later - to bury alive the rescuers. Many men from both sides lay where they died to this day.

The detonations at Messines in 1917 are ample proof of the expertise developed. Approx 10,000 Germans died instantly. Atomised, buried, suffocated, shattered. Whole lines were found in trenches as if they were about to fight.

Tunnelling ended of course when the war became mobile again.
Any collectors on here on 12:45 - Mar 2 with 1702 viewsOldFart71

Been collecting diecast cars, lorries, buses and military vehicles. The cars are mostly 1.18 scale and I also have several Nascars 1.24 scale. The lorries, buses and military vehicles are 1.50 scale which I only started collecting last year. I also like anything alcoholic in fancy bottles or drink related items. I have a Glenfiddick collapsable cup, some nice glasses with stags heads on them, a stags head wine holder and although I am not into hunting have just bought a stirrup cup with a pewter foxes head on it so you can drink from it one way up and have it as an ornament the other way up.
Any collectors on here on 12:47 - Mar 2 with 1694 viewsElephantintheRoom

Any collectors on here on 11:27 - Mar 2 by Churchman

I am a Friend of Lochnagar. My grandfather was sitting in a communications trench with his RE Field Company (208 Norfolk) called St Andrews Avenue in front of La Boisselle close to Lochnagar where the other mine(s) ‘Y Sap’ were detonated. At Lochnagar 60,000lbs of Amatol was blown. Y Sap was 40,000lbs. It was said the explosions were heard in London.

https://www.lochnagarcrater.org/schools/july-1st-1916-attack-on-la-boisselle/#:~

The problem with Y Sap was that an officer had rung the people in the front line to wish them good luck. The Germans evacuated the area before the mine was blown. The Germans at Lochnagar were less lucky. However, the British (Northumberland fusiliers, Grimsby Chums, Cheshires and Suffolks) were unable to occupy the mine craters quickly enough and any advantage was lost.

34 Division suffered the highest casualties of any division that day. The Pals battalions of the new army were literally mown down by well sited crossfire and shelling.

The tunnelling war is fascinating. I was asked to write a piece on it some years ago and the story is both astonishing and hideous. The Germans basically started the tunnelling war. We finished it, developing techniques far beyond those of the enemy.

Telephone engineers, miners, anyone who worked under ground and could be spared was drafted. They were given a uniform and a digging kit basically. They did not do basic training as a normal RE Field Company did. They were sent out to tunnel by the 1000. And they did. Sometimes, they’d break into enemy tunnels and visa versa and an underground fight would take place.

They developed listening devices beyond a wooden stick to the ear and would attempt to counter mine the enemy tunnel. A favoured trick was to lay a second charge furthe along to be detonated later - to bury alive the rescuers. Many men from both sides lay where they died to this day.

The detonations at Messines in 1917 are ample proof of the expertise developed. Approx 10,000 Germans died instantly. Atomised, buried, suffocated, shattered. Whole lines were found in trenches as if they were about to fight.

Interesting stuff. My grandad was awarded an MC for some hideous hand to hand combat when they tunnelled their way into a German tunnel. I was only 7 when he died so all this was news to me in later life.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any collectors on here on 12:51 - Mar 2 with 1689 viewsOldFart71

Any collectors on here on 11:27 - Mar 2 by Churchman

Don't know if you were aware, or in fact at all interested. But going back several years ago they named a racehorse Lochnagar. It was very good, a sprinter in fact.
Any collectors on here on 12:53 - Mar 2 with 1685 viewsericclacton

I collect small amounts of dust, i'm a dust man.

Any collectors on here on 12:57 - Mar 2 with 1669 viewsChurchman

Any collectors on here on 12:51 - Mar 2 by OldFart71

Don't know if you were aware, or in fact at all interested. But going back several years ago they named a racehorse Lochnagar. It was very good, a sprinter in fact.

No, didn’t know that. I wonder if it was named after the Mine crater or the place (I presume there is one)?
Any collectors on here on 13:12 - Mar 2 with 1654 viewsChurchman

Any collectors on here on 12:47 - Mar 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Interesting stuff. My grandad was awarded an MC for some hideous hand to hand combat when they tunnelled their way into a German tunnel. I was only 7 when he died so all this was news to me in later life.

An extremely brave man.

If they broke into each other’s tunnels, the fighting was basically medieval. Knives, axes, bayonets, sharpened shovels, knuckle dusters with spikes, diy maces. Firing weapons under ground was risky (cave in ) and rifles unwieldy. The standard issue army boot - so useful as a weapon in trench raiding, wasn’t worn underground. The tunnellers wore felt ‘slippers’.

Ghastly business. An MC well deserved.
Any collectors on here on 11:12 - Mar 4 with 1541 viewsford6600

Observer Books small about 100 titles easy to display some expensive 'Paris' 'World Atlas' but most can still pick up in charity shops.. Coins, The Twelve Caesars, silver Denarius of each, but Claudius Caligula and Otho are the hard to find expensive pieces..Stamps stick to British pre 2000 and Commonwealth, stamp collecting not a hobby nowadays with kids and as elderly collectors pass away market has glut of material. Actual value of stamps about a tenth of catalogue value. Niche collecting, eg of postmarks on stamps from South Africa during Boer War attracts stamp and history buffs so worth more.
Any collectors on here on 19:38 - Mar 4 with 1452 viewsMeadowlark

I like to think I have a copy of every book published about ITFC and their players. If anyone thinks they have one I might have overlooked and wants to sell it, please let me know.
I even have the original Dutch version of the Muhren/Thijssen book......
Any collectors on here on 21:19 - Mar 4 with 1417 viewsCoastalblue

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Any collectors on here on 21:31 - Mar 4 with 1404 viewsWeWereZombies

Any collectors on here on 11:00 - Mar 2 by NthQldITFC

Bruises.

Heartbreak...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Any collectors on here on 21:27 - Mar 11 with 1126 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Just to add to some of the World War related stuff on here. Miss Slave was just looking through a family scrapbook which includes the letter informing her Nan of her Granddad's death in 1940 as part of the B.E.F. Imagine the shock when they heard he had been injured but was in a P.O.W. camp from which he was released in 1943.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Any collectors on here on 22:17 - Mar 11 with 1089 viewsWhos_blue

A dyed in the wool vinyl collector.
I sell a few off most years around Christmas time, but probably maintain a collection of 1400ish. I haven't had a count up for a while.
Most recent addition this week was Trip to the moon by Ghost funk orchestra.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Any collectors on here on 22:18 - Mar 11 with 1079 viewsPlums

Any collectors on here on 21:27 - Mar 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Just to add to some of the World War related stuff on here. Miss Slave was just looking through a family scrapbook which includes the letter informing her Nan of her Granddad's death in 1940 as part of the B.E.F. Imagine the shock when they heard he had been injured but was in a P.O.W. camp from which he was released in 1943.

Fascinating story and must have been a real shock. Do you know where he was released from as '43 seems very early for Northern Europe unless he was seriously ill.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Any collectors on here on 22:36 - Mar 11 with 1047 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any collectors on here on 22:18 - Mar 11 by Plums

Fascinating story and must have been a real shock. Do you know where he was released from as '43 seems very early for Northern Europe unless he was seriously ill.

She also has a letter from the war office dated Oct 1943 after conclusions of negotiations and his impending repatriation from German occupied Poland (he was in the Royal Sussex 5th btn.)
There is also a gift parcel receipt sent to him in 1941 by his mother. when he was in Stalag XXA or some such.
[Post edited 11 Mar 22:37]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024