Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any collectors on here 16:47 - Mar 1 with 6371 viewsgtsb1966

of anything really. I collect WW1 militaria but would be interested to hear what other people collect and the prices they have paid, rarities etc.
Any collectors on here on 07:36 - Mar 12 with 1182 viewsunbelievablue

Baseball cards.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Any collectors on here on 07:37 - Mar 12 with 1177 viewsPlums

Any collectors on here on 22:36 - Mar 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

She also has a letter from the war office dated Oct 1943 after conclusions of negotiations and his impending repatriation from German occupied Poland (he was in the Royal Sussex 5th btn.)
There is also a gift parcel receipt sent to him in 1941 by his mother. when he was in Stalag XXA or some such.
[Post edited 11 Mar 22:37]

That's great provenance. There's an exhibition that's just opened at the National Archives about the experience of prisoners during the war.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/great-escapes/

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Any collectors on here on 07:52 - Mar 12 with 1156 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any collectors on here on 07:37 - Mar 12 by Plums

That's great provenance. There's an exhibition that's just opened at the National Archives about the experience of prisoners during the war.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/great-escapes/

As you say there is not much evidence of exchanges during the war but I have found this from the right time.
https://worldwartwo.filminspector.com/2020/01/pow-exchanges-during-world-war-ii.
He had no use of one arm so that might explain it. In a letter home to his Mum written with his wrong hand he describes it as a flesh wound!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Any collectors on here on 08:25 - Mar 12 with 1131 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich shirts, and other Ipswich/England memorbailia - probably worth a pretty penny all in including International Caps, and England match prepared shirts of Ipswich players.

Corinthian Football Figures, but I've toned that right down now and drawn a line under it as was spending too much money

Got lots of good collections of books and magazines - like all The Blizzards andf These Football TImes in perfect condition, a load of old Wisden books and Roy of The Rovers annuals.....nothing special sadly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Any collectors on here on 15:16 - Mar 12 with 1068 viewsgtsb1966

Churchman....just managed to get hold of an original sailors hat complete with ribbon from HMS Iron Duke. Was the flagship of WW1. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.
Any collectors on here on 17:15 - Mar 12 with 1040 viewsswede

I am a deltiologist and a cartophile. In other words, I collect post cards and cigarette cards!
I have a collection of a few thousand East Suffolk post cards (mostly around the Woodbridge/Felixstowe area). I also collect the art post cards of A.R Quinton published in the early 1900's by J. Salmon Ltd. There are over 4000 different ones and I have about 200 still to find. Some of the ones I'm missing are very rare and sell for £100s, so I doubt I will get them all.

I have many complete sets of cigarette cards by Wills, Players, Gallaghers and of course Churchmans! Also have the complete set of tea cards from Brooke Bond (PG Tips) and Typhoo.

I have just had a new bookcase built to store all my albums. Mrs swede and the juniors think I am obsessed!
Any collectors on here on 17:48 - Mar 12 with 1025 viewsPhilTWTD

I collect hammers.
Any collectors on here on 20:47 - Mar 12 with 956 viewsChurchman

Any collectors on here on 15:16 - Mar 12 by gtsb1966

Churchman....just managed to get hold of an original sailors hat complete with ribbon from HMS Iron Duke. Was the flagship of WW1. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

That is awesome!!! I’m really pleased for you. Holding that, you are holding history! B****y brilliant.

HMS Iron Duke, for anyone who might not know, was Admiral John Jellicoe’s fleet flagship at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.

Despite poor signalling from subordinates, in particular David Beatty, Jellicoe managed to deploy the Grand Fleet and ‘cross the T’. The German High Seas Fleet were met with the Grand Fleet from horizon to horizon. They opened fire, Iron Duke immediately hitting the battleship SMS Konig. Admiral Scheer managed a ‘u turn’ with his fleet. An astonishing manoeuvre which saved it from destruction.

Jellicoe managed to later perform the same trick and so did the Germans. The battle finished during the night and the German fleet managed to get back to port. 14 British ships, including 3 Battlecruisers were lost to 11 German (1 Battlecruisers and an elderly Battleship, Pommern).

The Germans broke the news of victory first and to this day, a bit like social media, that’s how the outcome by some is recorded. But the German fleet was not fit for action the following day, stayed in harbour knowing the could not defeat the Grand Fleet only to surrender in 1918 with mutinied crews and rusted ships. Germany starved.

That was the outcome that your sailors hat bore witness to. Real history.
Login to get fewer ads

Any collectors on here on 21:05 - Mar 12 with 939 viewsChurchman

Aside from a trench art matchbox holder, made from a shell case Mrs C has from goodness knows where, all I have is my Grandfather’s letters from France - the lace ones, sadly in poor condition. But they are important to me for what they are.

Of WW2 we have Mrs Cs dad’s white ensign, complete with halyards, from his ML navigation boat from DDay (Gold Beach). Black with smoke and cordite it’s actually half an ensign, the rest shot/ripped off. You can actually smell WW2 on it. She found it after her father died in a cupboard in a case.
I collect trainers.... on 21:10 - Mar 12 with 929 viewsBloots

...got about 90 pairs, of which about 90% are Adidas.

Around 20 pairs are on the "wearing rota", with about 50 unworn, still tagged and boxed.

Pointless exercise really but I like them.

So there.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Any collectors on here on 21:26 - Mar 12 with 919 viewsBluespeed225

Any collectors on here on 08:25 - Mar 12 by itfcjoe

Ipswich shirts, and other Ipswich/England memorbailia - probably worth a pretty penny all in including International Caps, and England match prepared shirts of Ipswich players.

Corinthian Football Figures, but I've toned that right down now and drawn a line under it as was spending too much money

Got lots of good collections of books and magazines - like all The Blizzards andf These Football TImes in perfect condition, a load of old Wisden books and Roy of The Rovers annuals.....nothing special sadly

What England shirts do you have? The landlord of the Dove has Beatties' under 23 shirt, the old school plain white pre 75' white. The badge was detached but there.
I should have bought Mick Mills 1979 Home International shirt V Scotland when Wark was selling of loads of stuff. I also should have bought his Escape to Victory shirt, all autographs except bobby Moore for some reason. I ended up with his home lag UEFA Cup Final shirt,. .I really regret not throwing down the credit card on those. This was 20 years ago, still had kids and bigger bills to pay.
I collect trainers.... on 21:30 - Mar 12 with 914 viewsBluespeed225

I collect trainers.... on 21:10 - Mar 12 by Bloots

...got about 90 pairs, of which about 90% are Adidas.

Around 20 pairs are on the "wearing rota", with about 50 unworn, still tagged and boxed.

Pointless exercise really but I like them.

So there.

Nice, I only have Adi. I used to put the daughters Nike outside for fun, 'No Nike in this house!' I'll take a Fila or Diadora if forced, but having gone with a more 'Ivy' look of late I'm liking a plain trainer, Adi Nizza, Spring Court, and a blast from childhood, Green Flash!
I've got one pair of.... on 21:37 - Mar 12 with 902 viewsBloots

I collect trainers.... on 21:30 - Mar 12 by Bluespeed225

Nice, I only have Adi. I used to put the daughters Nike outside for fun, 'No Nike in this house!' I'll take a Fila or Diadora if forced, but having gone with a more 'Ivy' look of late I'm liking a plain trainer, Adi Nizza, Spring Court, and a blast from childhood, Green Flash!

...Nike Cortez, just because I feel I should.

A few NB and Tigers.

My pride and joy are a pair of kangaroo leather gold Borg Elites.

Edit: No Puma.
[Post edited 12 Mar 21:37]

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Any collectors on here on 21:46 - Mar 12 with 895 viewsPlums

Any collectors on here on 21:05 - Mar 12 by Churchman

Aside from a trench art matchbox holder, made from a shell case Mrs C has from goodness knows where, all I have is my Grandfather’s letters from France - the lace ones, sadly in poor condition. But they are important to me for what they are.

Of WW2 we have Mrs Cs dad’s white ensign, complete with halyards, from his ML navigation boat from DDay (Gold Beach). Black with smoke and cordite it’s actually half an ensign, the rest shot/ripped off. You can actually smell WW2 on it. She found it after her father died in a cupboard in a case.

I have most of my grandfather's collection of WW2 photographs. They're predominantly of ruins in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany along with wrecked German aircraft and what I believe to be the aftermath of the BodenPlatte raid at Melsbroek. I recall a couple of other sets of pics from my childhood, including the aftermath of the dams raids (taken a day later I think) but haven't found them yet. He was an RAF photographer. I have a couple of signed photos of Bader too which whilst not being rare are a nice thing to have.

I have a brass Bristol Blenheim bonnet mascot and picked up a lovely ARP first aid box on Saturday. There's always a use for a steel box!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

Any collectors on here on 22:22 - Mar 12 with 886 viewsChurchman

Any collectors on here on 21:46 - Mar 12 by Plums

I have most of my grandfather's collection of WW2 photographs. They're predominantly of ruins in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany along with wrecked German aircraft and what I believe to be the aftermath of the BodenPlatte raid at Melsbroek. I recall a couple of other sets of pics from my childhood, including the aftermath of the dams raids (taken a day later I think) but haven't found them yet. He was an RAF photographer. I have a couple of signed photos of Bader too which whilst not being rare are a nice thing to have.

I have a brass Bristol Blenheim bonnet mascot and picked up a lovely ARP first aid box on Saturday. There's always a use for a steel box!

The photos are very important, including the possible Bodenplatte one - the wreckage, if complete enough, may confirm if it was that ill fated, for the Luftwaffe, operation. Dams Raid? Bader? I hope you find them all.

The Bristol Blenheim bonnet mascot - is it made from an aircraft piece or a brass model of? The Blenheim was an early war twin engine light bomber. Despite being advanced when first produced, it was basically obsolete by the start of the war.

For the crews, it was a death trap and the casualties horrendous. The excuse was there was nothing else, apart from the Fairey Battle that was even more catastrophic than the Blenheim.

From the Bristol Blenheim developed the Beaufort and their particular hugely successful Beaufighter.
[Post edited 12 Mar 22:23]
Any collectors on here on 05:29 - Mar 13 with 847 viewsBluespeed225

Any collectors on here on 17:15 - Mar 12 by swede

I am a deltiologist and a cartophile. In other words, I collect post cards and cigarette cards!
I have a collection of a few thousand East Suffolk post cards (mostly around the Woodbridge/Felixstowe area). I also collect the art post cards of A.R Quinton published in the early 1900's by J. Salmon Ltd. There are over 4000 different ones and I have about 200 still to find. Some of the ones I'm missing are very rare and sell for £100s, so I doubt I will get them all.

I have many complete sets of cigarette cards by Wills, Players, Gallaghers and of course Churchmans! Also have the complete set of tea cards from Brooke Bond (PG Tips) and Typhoo.

I have just had a new bookcase built to store all my albums. Mrs swede and the juniors think I am obsessed!

I have Churchmans 'Wonders of the World' full set! I had an Uncle who worked there, would come home in the 80's with loads of cigar cards, we dealt them into full sets. sold really well! Cigar collections taking longer to get. I think the 'Wonders' set is from the 50's? Lovely illustrations.
Any collectors on here on 09:19 - Mar 13 with 796 viewsitfcjoe

Any collectors on here on 21:26 - Mar 12 by Bluespeed225

What England shirts do you have? The landlord of the Dove has Beatties' under 23 shirt, the old school plain white pre 75' white. The badge was detached but there.
I should have bought Mick Mills 1979 Home International shirt V Scotland when Wark was selling of loads of stuff. I also should have bought his Escape to Victory shirt, all autographs except bobby Moore for some reason. I ended up with his home lag UEFA Cup Final shirt,. .I really regret not throwing down the credit card on those. This was 20 years ago, still had kids and bigger bills to pay.

Sound some great items there - very jealous of that UEFA Cup Final one

I've got Richard Wright's Euro 2000 match prepared shirt, and a Kieron Dyer one from a friendly - would like to get more but few and far between. A Terry Butcher U21 shirt was in an auction last week but got too expensive for me (£750 plus 29% auction fees) but would have loved to have got hold of that one. There is a Mick Mills one currently for sale but was only for a training match and no England badge on it ( https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/loddonauctions/catalogue-i

Any collectors on here on 09:30 - Mar 13 with 771 viewsKieran_Knows

Any collectors on here on 08:25 - Mar 12 by itfcjoe

I have a pair of Pim Balkestein's match worn boots from his time here, does that count?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Any collectors on here on 11:51 - Mar 13 with 720 viewsRadlett_blue

Any collectors on here on 09:19 - Mar 13 by itfcjoe

Sound some great items there - very jealous of that UEFA Cup Final one

I've got Richard Wright's Euro 2000 match prepared shirt, and a Kieron Dyer one from a friendly - would like to get more but few and far between. A Terry Butcher U21 shirt was in an auction last week but got too expensive for me (£750 plus 29% auction fees) but would have loved to have got hold of that one. There is a Mick Mills one currently for sale but was only for a training match and no England badge on it ( https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/loddonauctions/catalogue-i

some of these prices seem very high to me e.g. £750 + 29% for a Butcher U21 shirt, but that's the market, I suppose. I don;t know if these things will prove to be a good "investment", but even if fans are buying them because they like them, what do they do with them? Even a shirt in a nice display frame has to go somewhere & most wouldn't want it in their living room.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Any collectors on here on 12:43 - Mar 13 with 681 viewsBluespeed225

Any collectors on here on 11:51 - Mar 13 by Radlett_blue

some of these prices seem very high to me e.g. £750 + 29% for a Butcher U21 shirt, but that's the market, I suppose. I don;t know if these things will prove to be a good "investment", but even if fans are buying them because they like them, what do they do with them? Even a shirt in a nice display frame has to go somewhere & most wouldn't want it in their living room.

When I was a swinging batchelor I had the Wark shirt and Talbots 78’ shirt in my lounge, but they now sit in the spare bedroom as the current wife feels they don’t go in the lounge…
Warks has been up in the Town Hall as part of the ‘Town in Europe’ display in 2012, and I let Pat Godbolds have them for a couple of years when she was trying to get a better ‘museum’ going, but Evans wasn’t having it so I took them back.
Any collectors on here on 12:46 - Mar 13 with 678 viewsitfcjoe

Any collectors on here on 12:43 - Mar 13 by Bluespeed225

When I was a swinging batchelor I had the Wark shirt and Talbots 78’ shirt in my lounge, but they now sit in the spare bedroom as the current wife feels they don’t go in the lounge…
Warks has been up in the Town Hall as part of the ‘Town in Europe’ display in 2012, and I let Pat Godbolds have them for a couple of years when she was trying to get a better ‘museum’ going, but Evans wasn’t having it so I took them back.

You might as well sell them at a knockdown price to me if you aren't having them on display

Any collectors on here on 13:05 - Mar 13 with 665 viewsPlums

Any collectors on here on 22:22 - Mar 12 by Churchman

The photos are very important, including the possible Bodenplatte one - the wreckage, if complete enough, may confirm if it was that ill fated, for the Luftwaffe, operation. Dams Raid? Bader? I hope you find them all.

The Bristol Blenheim bonnet mascot - is it made from an aircraft piece or a brass model of? The Blenheim was an early war twin engine light bomber. Despite being advanced when first produced, it was basically obsolete by the start of the war.

For the crews, it was a death trap and the casualties horrendous. The excuse was there was nothing else, apart from the Fairey Battle that was even more catastrophic than the Blenheim.

From the Bristol Blenheim developed the Beaufort and their particular hugely successful Beaufighter.
[Post edited 12 Mar 22:23]

My own detective work leads me to think the photo is Melsbroek on NYD 1945. From an RAF history journal, it seems there were two RAF recon units on site, camped either side of the road. The raid virtually obliterated one, the other escaped largely physically unharmed. The pics show what I believe to be burning allied aircraft. From what I know of the old boy's journey across Europe, this can be the only situation where he would have been on an airfield when the allies were attacked. I need to take some copies and have a chat with a few people.

The Blenheim is brass and a pretty crude Mk IV. Whilst I know of it's terrible record, I was smitten by the Duxford aircraft and its electric car story. The men who flew it, whether in the day time in France or on early radar night flights were incredible.

Any collectors on here on 17:35 - Mar 13 with 595 viewsswede

Any collectors on here on 05:29 - Mar 13 by Bluespeed225

I have Churchmans 'Wonders of the World' full set! I had an Uncle who worked there, would come home in the 80's with loads of cigar cards, we dealt them into full sets. sold really well! Cigar collections taking longer to get. I think the 'Wonders' set is from the 50's? Lovely illustrations.

Churchmans, Wonders of the World was unique according to Murray's Cigarette Card Guide in that the series was not actually issued in packs. I'm not sure why, but because of this the catalogue has no date for the set. However, don't get your hopes up as the catalogue price (2012) was £17.50 per set! There are currently some on Ebay selling for less.
A lovely set none the less.
Any collectors on here on 23:52 - Mar 13 with 542 viewsChurchman

Any collectors on here on 13:05 - Mar 13 by Plums

My own detective work leads me to think the photo is Melsbroek on NYD 1945. From an RAF history journal, it seems there were two RAF recon units on site, camped either side of the road. The raid virtually obliterated one, the other escaped largely physically unharmed. The pics show what I believe to be burning allied aircraft. From what I know of the old boy's journey across Europe, this can be the only situation where he would have been on an airfield when the allies were attacked. I need to take some copies and have a chat with a few people.

The Blenheim is brass and a pretty crude Mk IV. Whilst I know of it's terrible record, I was smitten by the Duxford aircraft and its electric car story. The men who flew it, whether in the day time in France or on early radar night flights were incredible.

The Blenheim is actually a great looking aircraft. I’ve seen one flying a couple of times and i always think of the lads who flew them. On more than one occasion, a squadron was completely wiped out on a raid. Dear god, what brave men.

The Blenheim fulfilled a variety of roles from fighter (1F), night fighter, light bomber, recce, training, you name it across the world. It was very much of its time and it was really rapid technological development that simply overtook it - especially the development of the monoplane fighter that left it defenceless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024