Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bored of rain now 17:43 - Feb 29 with 3111 viewsDubtractor

Really bored.

I think I read somewhere the other day that we've had 200% of the usual Winter rainfall this year, and Autumn will have been a similar increase.

Really noticeable that all the fields around Suffolk are completely waterlogged now, so any significant rain means instant flooding of rural roads.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Bored of rain now on 11:18 - Mar 1 with 723 viewsleitrimblue

Bored of rain now on 10:26 - Mar 1 by Ryorry

Or Yorkshore.

It stopped raining for a few hours in Co Leitrim last night and instead turned to snow. Back to good bit of reliable drizzle now though
Bored of rain now on 11:22 - Mar 1 with 705 views_clive_baker_

Bored of rain now on 11:02 - Mar 1 by Tangledupin_Blue

Not so.

The eastbound A14 at Newmarket was closed yesterday because of a big puddle. They have tankers trying to suck it up to take elsewhere for disposal. They've been doing that for more than a week. Probably the same today tho' I haven't checked.
[Post edited 1 Mar 11:04]

Yeah, took me 2 hours to get from Cambridge to Ipswich last night.
Bored of rain now on 11:23 - Mar 1 with 700 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

On the positive side it does mean I can spend more time on here.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Bored of rain now on 11:23 - Mar 1 with 699 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68435197

It's been dreadful here, so many places flooded on a seemingly weekly basis. Anywhere on the Trent has had it rough.

People better start getting used to it unfortunately. Not going to get any better.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Bored of rain now on 11:28 - Mar 1 with 667 viewsDubtractor

Bored of rain now on 10:47 - Mar 1 by _clive_baker_

The roads in Suffolk are nuts. I think it's obviously in part due to the significantly high amounts of rainfall we've had, but I wonder if there's other factors at play. Local councils lacking the funds to dredge ditches which I know isn't happening where it has before, old drainage infrastructure expected to support growing communities, building of houses on what were previously effective flood plains (they have to go somewhere). The roads have been noticeably way more flooded this winter.

Oddly enough, I think the newest housing developments have been less of a problem, as the planning requires them to have proper water management built in. Eg Attenuation ponds to capture run off water.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Bored of rain now on 11:29 - Mar 1 with 659 viewsRyorry

Bored of rain now on 10:47 - Mar 1 by _clive_baker_

The roads in Suffolk are nuts. I think it's obviously in part due to the significantly high amounts of rainfall we've had, but I wonder if there's other factors at play. Local councils lacking the funds to dredge ditches which I know isn't happening where it has before, old drainage infrastructure expected to support growing communities, building of houses on what were previously effective flood plains (they have to go somewhere). The roads have been noticeably way more flooded this winter.

Same everywhere - lack of funding to local Councils - false economy.

This 70-something pensioner having to dig ditches to divert water to prevent flooding to house because the Council, despite repeated requests, refuse to install and maintain adequate drainage along the roads above house -> increased pressure on NHS due to injury & arthritis.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bored of rain now on 11:32 - Mar 1 with 644 viewsitfcjoe

Bored of rain now on 11:28 - Mar 1 by Dubtractor

Oddly enough, I think the newest housing developments have been less of a problem, as the planning requires them to have proper water management built in. Eg Attenuation ponds to capture run off water.

Plus houses now have to have actual soakaways opposed to just a bit in the garden filled with some hardcore which silts up instantly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bored of rain now on 11:33 - Mar 1 with 644 views_clive_baker_

Bored of rain now on 11:05 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

Was speaking to a groundworker who has always done a lot of work for Trinity College (who seem to own half of Suffolk) - as you say no ditches being dredged, no edges being scraped, no roads being cleared when farmers using them, no works done between the roads and the farms to stop so much being dragged on etc.

It's just emergency works clearing things when it is too late, opposed to an ongoing management programme to prevent issues

Yeah, definitely been a lot of rainfall but those things you mention are a result of cut backs and the preventative stuff just doesn't seem to be getting done. I spoke to someone who works closely with it in local council and said dredging ditches would happen every other to ever 3 years previously, but the cost : benefit analysis concluded in it getting cut altogether for large parts so they're just not happening at all now.
Login to get fewer ads

Bored of rain now on 11:37 - Mar 1 with 631 viewslowhouseblue

Bored of rain now on 11:05 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

Was speaking to a groundworker who has always done a lot of work for Trinity College (who seem to own half of Suffolk) - as you say no ditches being dredged, no edges being scraped, no roads being cleared when farmers using them, no works done between the roads and the farms to stop so much being dragged on etc.

It's just emergency works clearing things when it is too late, opposed to an ongoing management programme to prevent issues

changes in farming aren't helping. the kit they use has become much bigger and is too big for the lanes - they then cut up the verges which puts sand / mud on the roads which washes away and blocks the ditches. over here they're compacting the soil at the end of autumn and leaving it bare over winter which means the sandy surface cakes over and has no absorbency. heavy rain washes straight off turning the roads into rivers and washing sand into all the ditches and drains which then block. the areas with wood and heath are fine - the rain is absorbed into the soil / ditches. where there's farm land the roads are functioning as the only effective drainage

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Bored of rain now on 11:37 - Mar 1 with 626 views_clive_baker_

Bored of rain now on 11:29 - Mar 1 by Ryorry

Same everywhere - lack of funding to local Councils - false economy.

This 70-something pensioner having to dig ditches to divert water to prevent flooding to house because the Council, despite repeated requests, refuse to install and maintain adequate drainage along the roads above house -> increased pressure on NHS due to injury & arthritis.

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to suggest its a localised issue, just particularly notable given its where I live. As you say I've noticed its also true in most areas I've been to on my travels.

You have my sympathies Ryorry. Give me a shout if you move to Suffolk as I'll give you a hand. Numerous friends of mine have had their houses flooded over recent months, it's horrible.
Bored of rain now on 11:54 - Mar 1 with 568 viewsbluelagos

Bored of rain now on 11:23 - Mar 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

On the positive side it does mean I can spend more time on here.

Same here. Sunny days and it's out for a walk or out on two wheels. First wet day of the week and I'm shopping or cooking.

By the 2nd or 3rd consecutive washout and Twtd gets far too much of my time (for all concerned am sure)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Bored of rain now on 11:57 - Mar 1 with 544 viewsJ2BLUE

Bored of rain now on 11:54 - Mar 1 by bluelagos

Same here. Sunny days and it's out for a walk or out on two wheels. First wet day of the week and I'm shopping or cooking.

By the 2nd or 3rd consecutive washout and Twtd gets far too much of my time (for all concerned am sure)

Get a waterproof jacket and get out for a walk in the rain.

You'll love it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bored of rain now on 12:00 - Mar 1 with 535 viewsbluelagos

Bored of rain now on 11:57 - Mar 1 by J2BLUE

Get a waterproof jacket and get out for a walk in the rain.

You'll love it.

Got decent jackets and boots - but have never mastered/found any waterproof trousers that are genuinely breathable.

I tend to do 8 milers minimum and I end with soaked legs after an hour of walking.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024