Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? 05:49 - Feb 29 with 3675 viewsibbleobble

With rumours circulating on Davis, my immediate reaction is that hardly any players who have left us to join prem teams have done that well - success being subjective.

Who has been the most successful? Mings? Cressswell? Dyer? Lots have never achieved their full potential and plenty probably shouldn’t have been signed but who has done well irrespective of financial gain?
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 09:30 - Feb 29 with 949 viewsHerbivore

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 09:26 - Feb 29 by chicoazul

I’ve never understood this reaction. Titus played for years exclusively in the Prem, he was hardly ever injured and hardly ever dropped. That’s success. Im not saying he was a better player than Kieron who to my mind is the best player we have ever produced.

He only managed more than 30 PL appearances in 2 seasons playing at that level and was once voted the worst player in the league. He managed to have a decent enough career but he is behind several players who have left us to play in the Prem in terms of being a success at that level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 09:31 - Feb 29 with 945 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 08:54 - Feb 29 by chicoazul

Definitely Titus.

Should be in the conversation, made more prem appearances than the others mentioned, although Cresswell will overtake him.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 09:49 - Feb 29 with 910 viewsTractorCam

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 08:30 - Feb 29 by BlueandTruesince82

Darren Bent must be up there

Has to be him right, over 100 Prem goals.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:08 - Feb 29 with 897 viewstractorshark

Maybe not the most successful but certainly one of the most surprising was Damien Delaney.

If we’re talking silverware Richard Wright has a couple of title-winning medals and an FA Cup on his cv.
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:12 - Feb 29 with 888 viewsPilgrimblue

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 09:26 - Feb 29 by chicoazul

I’ve never understood this reaction. Titus played for years exclusively in the Prem, he was hardly ever injured and hardly ever dropped. That’s success. Im not saying he was a better player than Kieron who to my mind is the best player we have ever produced.

Yes I loved Titus at his peak he was something else!
Friends of mine always had it in for DD and McA but thye proved their worth and had good careers at highest level.
Trouble with Dyer he wasnt with us long enough and while he did reach the highest level i thought his lifestyle eventually caught up with him.
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:28 - Feb 29 with 864 viewsHighgateBlue

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:08 - Feb 29 by tractorshark

Maybe not the most successful but certainly one of the most surprising was Damien Delaney.

If we’re talking silverware Richard Wright has a couple of title-winning medals and an FA Cup on his cv.

Yes, Wright should not be overlooked. Top class keeper at his peak.
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:29 - Feb 29 with 862 viewsGlasgowBlue

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 08:08 - Feb 29 by Coastalblue

McAuley did pretty well especially considering the number of people here who wanted him gone.

Delaney also had a decent career at Crystal Palace in the Premier League. Although we didn't actually sell him. Jewell et him go for nothing as her didn't think he was good enough to play in a bottom three Championship side.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:35 - Feb 29 with 859 viewshype313

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:28 - Feb 29 by HighgateBlue

You can't say he went onto have an excellent career in the PL though can you? He played 70 games in 8 years, and was essentially a solid number 2.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:36 - Feb 29 with 855 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:28 - Feb 29 by HighgateBlue

Only limited game time at PL level compared to some of the others mentioned (not to take anything away from his ability).
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:38 - Feb 29 with 855 viewsmonty_radio

K.B ??

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:40 - Feb 29 with 851 viewsHerbivore

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:35 - Feb 29 by hype313

You can't say he went onto have an excellent career in the PL though can you? He played 70 games in 8 years, and was essentially a solid number 2.

Got to be a fan of a solid number two though.

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 11:09 - Feb 29 with 821 viewsHighgateBlue

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 10:35 - Feb 29 by hype313

Yes, I wouldn't put him top but he has to be in the conversation.

I think the context is that we had a number of our better players sold off to Premier League teams, and most of them did not fulfil their potential. So it's more comparing him to the competition than assessing whether he had an excellent career.

The question in the body of the OP is "Who has been the most successful?"

With Arsenal, Wright won the Premier League and the FA Cup, and made an appearance for England. That has got to put him in the conversation.

I totally get the counter-arguments (only one PL season as proper first choice, at Everton, didn't make it to 100 PL appearances in his post-Ipswich career, only made one international appearance after Town, and that was as a sub in a friendly, his major competition international squad inclusion was in 2000 when he was still at Town, spent the majority of his post-Ipswich career on the bench).

But if we're talking about "success", I think the only rivals to Wright are Bent, Cresswell and Mings.

None of those were ever first choice for their country. Wright also had the disadvantage of playing in a position with a fixed limit of only one slot in the team.

Trophies:
Bent won the league cup
Cresswell won the Conference league
Mings won the Championshp playoff with Villa
Bramble Intertoto cup and one player of the year at Wigan
Wright's League and FA Cup is streets ahead here.

Post-Ipswich International caps:
Bent 13
Cresswell 3
Mings 18
Wright 1
Bramble none
Wright doesn't come off well here, but Bent and Mings had more team spots to aim at, and played in positions which are subbed more regularly.

PL appearances post Ipswich:
Cresswell approaching 300
Bent over 200
Bramble over 200
Mings over 100
Wright 60 I believe

On the books of a properly big club:
Bent probably shades it for his 2 years at Spurs
But Wright had his one season at Arsenal and then numerous seasons at Man City, who were champions during his time there. I totally see that he was warming the bench.

Mings should probably get extra points for being part of a squad that went deep into a major tournament with England. But Bent gets a lottt of points for 106 PL goals (105 post-Ipswich), which is 31st on the list of all time scorers (even without his Ipswich PL goal).

In the early PL days, Dozzell and Kiwomya were our two greats who were sold to big clubs for (at the time) decent-ish money. The former didn't make it to 100 games at Spurs, the latter played just 14 times for Arsenal and neither won trophies or played for England. They're both in our hall of fame.

So I think the argument is between Bent, Cresswell, Mings and Wright. Arguably in that order.

Bent has a lot of goals and was at a big club, Cresswell has most PL appearances, Mings has most international appearances, Wright has most trophies. Pick what you value most I guess.
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 11:14 - Feb 29 with 811 viewsHerbivore

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 11:09 - Feb 29 by HighgateBlue

Yes, I wouldn't put him top but he has to be in the conversation.

I think the context is that we had a number of our better players sold off to Premier League teams, and most of them did not fulfil their potential. So it's more comparing him to the competition than assessing whether he had an excellent career.

The question in the body of the OP is "Who has been the most successful?"

With Arsenal, Wright won the Premier League and the FA Cup, and made an appearance for England. That has got to put him in the conversation.

I totally get the counter-arguments (only one PL season as proper first choice, at Everton, didn't make it to 100 PL appearances in his post-Ipswich career, only made one international appearance after Town, and that was as a sub in a friendly, his major competition international squad inclusion was in 2000 when he was still at Town, spent the majority of his post-Ipswich career on the bench).

But if we're talking about "success", I think the only rivals to Wright are Bent, Cresswell and Mings.

None of those were ever first choice for their country. Wright also had the disadvantage of playing in a position with a fixed limit of only one slot in the team.

Trophies:
Bent won the league cup
Cresswell won the Conference league
Mings won the Championshp playoff with Villa
Bramble Intertoto cup and one player of the year at Wigan
Wright's League and FA Cup is streets ahead here.

Post-Ipswich International caps:
Bent 13
Cresswell 3
Mings 18
Wright 1
Bramble none
Wright doesn't come off well here, but Bent and Mings had more team spots to aim at, and played in positions which are subbed more regularly.

PL appearances post Ipswich:
Cresswell approaching 300
Bent over 200
Bramble over 200
Mings over 100
Wright 60 I believe

On the books of a properly big club:
Bent probably shades it for his 2 years at Spurs
But Wright had his one season at Arsenal and then numerous seasons at Man City, who were champions during his time there. I totally see that he was warming the bench.

Mings should probably get extra points for being part of a squad that went deep into a major tournament with England. But Bent gets a lottt of points for 106 PL goals (105 post-Ipswich), which is 31st on the list of all time scorers (even without his Ipswich PL goal).

In the early PL days, Dozzell and Kiwomya were our two greats who were sold to big clubs for (at the time) decent-ish money. The former didn't make it to 100 games at Spurs, the latter played just 14 times for Arsenal and neither won trophies or played for England. They're both in our hall of fame.

So I think the argument is between Bent, Cresswell, Mings and Wright. Arguably in that order.

Bent has a lot of goals and was at a big club, Cresswell has most PL appearances, Mings has most international appearances, Wright has most trophies. Pick what you value most I guess.

Personally I'd have Wright behind Dyer and Walters, who you've not mentioned, and even Bramble, who did at least make a lot of appearances in the Prem. Wright left us in his early 20s and had a decade plus of his career ahead of him and he only made 60 odd appearances in the Prem. That does not equate to him being a success.

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:34 - Feb 29 with 767 viewsmonty_radio

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 11:14 - Feb 29 by Herbivore

Personally I'd have Wright behind Dyer and Walters, who you've not mentioned, and even Bramble, who did at least make a lot of appearances in the Prem. Wright left us in his early 20s and had a decade plus of his career ahead of him and he only made 60 odd appearances in the Prem. That does not equate to him being a success.

But what a disappointing downturn that was for Wright after such a stellar start even if his bank balance tells a happier story.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:40 - Feb 29 with 756 viewsHighgateBlue

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 11:14 - Feb 29 by Herbivore

Yes, I entirely take the point. Wright was much more disappointment than success, given how highly he was rated when he left Town.

No idea how I managed to overlook Kieron, I really don't. A couple of hundred PL appearances, 30 odd for England, and crucially he was in the PL team of the year in 2002/03, which places him very much at the top of the game at least for that moment. That team included: Sol Campbell, A. Cole, Vieira, Scholes, Henry, Shearer.

The 30 odd England caps was in an era when our midfield was famously strong, and although there are a number of positions across the midfield, making it less difficult to get caps than in some positions, we all know that he would've had more caps but for injury. So yes, Dyer goes above Wright for me too, and arguably would be slugging it out with Bent for biggest success.

I suppose one thing that Dyer and Wright share is that they were expected to go on to even greater things - in Dyer's case it was the injury that curtailed things. So their careers are tinged with slight untapped potential, whereas I don't feel that of Bent. That shouldn't detract from Dyer's actual achievements though of course.

As for Walters, class act, legend of a character, incredible signing from the lower leagues, and his numbers in the premier league were decent. If you value number of appearances then he trumps Wright, but I don't place much value on his Ireland appearances versus the England caps of most of the other players mentioned. Clearly the guy is British and would've jumped at the chance for one England cap. He also started a cup final for Stoke, which gives him points.

I think I'd have Wright above Bramble because of the trophies, and what I think of as success. I would also say Walters. I suppose it just depends on what you value most highly. I'm sure I'm being biased to Wright because of the amazing success he had with Ipswich, but of course that doesn't count. He left Ipswich as a regular starter and went on to win the Premier League is the bottom line, and I'm not sure who else can say that, or that they won the double. I'd rather be able to say that than that I played X hundred games for Stoke.
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:40 - Feb 29 with 757 viewsPhilTWTD

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 09:30 - Feb 29 by Herbivore

He only managed more than 30 PL appearances in 2 seasons playing at that level and was once voted the worst player in the league. He managed to have a decent enough career but he is behind several players who have left us to play in the Prem in terms of being a success at that level.

He made more than 290 Premier League appearances over 13 years, which is pretty good going for a 'worst player'!
Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:53 - Feb 29 with 734 viewsHerbivore

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:40 - Feb 29 by PhilTWTD

He made more than 290 Premier League appearances over 13 years, which is pretty good going for a 'worst player'!

I mean, I didn't vote for him personally but I do find it hard to put him above the likes of Dyer, Mings, Cresswell and the like who won England caps when he was once voted the worst player in the league. No doubt he had a very decent career but not sure he's close to being out most successful Prem export.
[Post edited 29 Feb 12:59]

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:58 - Feb 29 with 717 viewshype313

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:40 - Feb 29 by PhilTWTD

According to Wiki he made 108?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 13:02 - Feb 29 with 690 viewsitfcjoe

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 12:53 - Feb 29 by Herbivore

I mean, I didn't vote for him personally but I do find it hard to put him above the likes of Dyer, Mings, Cresswell and the like who won England caps when he was once voted the worst player in the league. No doubt he had a very decent career but not sure he's close to being out most successful Prem export.
[Post edited 29 Feb 12:59]

Mings was hardly a successful transfer to the PL from us though was it - he went to Bournemouth, got injured, never played and ended up on loan back in the Championship before striking gold with that loan spell

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 14:04 - Feb 29 with 619 viewsibbleobble

Which player had the most successful transfer to the prem? on 13:02 - Feb 29 by itfcjoe

Mings was hardly a successful transfer to the PL from us though was it - he went to Bournemouth, got injured, never played and ended up on loan back in the Championship before striking gold with that loan spell

Walters is a great shout, he takes Mings place in my top 5. Took Stoke to the FA Cup final and cemented a solid international career after he left us:

- Dyer
- Bent
- Holland
- Cresswell
- Walters
[Post edited 29 Feb 17:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024